Lions C Frank Ragnow: Matthew Stafford's ability to read defenses 'blows my mind'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Lions C Frank Ragnow: Matthew Stafford's ability to read defenses 'blows my mind'

1613867314436.png

Cameron DaSilva

February 19, 2021 12:19 pm

Frank Ragnow has spent the last three years with the Lions, playing alongside Matthew Stafford. He was the starting center for the last two seasons, which helped him develop a strong relationship with the veteran quarterback.
With Stafford on his way out and headed for Los Angeles, Ragnow reflected on his time with No. 9 and had nothing but great things to say about him. On “Unrestricted with Ben Leber,” Ragnow called Stafford his favorite teammate ever and doesn’t think that will change for as long as he plays.

“Matthew Stafford, I don’t think anyone will ever be able to top my favorite teammate ever,” Ragnow said. “Toughness, passion, competitiveness, everything. I can’t say enough about the guy, and I’m excited to see how he does in Los Angeles, but I’m also super excited about Jared Goff.

Being the Lions’ center, Ragnow was tasked with calling out protection assignments and identifying blitzers to help Stafford read the defense. But with the way Stafford operates, he was often one step ahead of Ragnow in that department.

Being a 12-year veteran, Stafford has seen just about every type of defense there is, so he was typically prepared to change things up at the line before Ragnow was even ready to. That blew him away, calling Stafford “a savant when it comes to reading defenses.”

“He is toughness, hard work – everything good you can say about a guy I’ll say about him. He’s taught me how to be a true professional. He’s a savant when it comes to reading defenses,” Ragnow said. “Blows my mind. It got to the point – so I would make a lot of the protection calls, but he would know. He would know a call he wants to do and he would switch it—he obviously had last say, right? —but I would make the switch and he would be like, ‘There we go, buddy. I was waiting on you.’ … I’m sure there’s a lot of quarterbacks like that, but from my point of view, he’s just a couple speeds ahead that it’s just crazy when it comes to diagnosing defenses and reading things, it’s wild.”

One of the knocks on Jared Goff was that he didn’t do enough at the line of scrimmage without the assistance of Sean McVay. That was mostly a criticism in 2017 and 2018 when they were first getting started together, but even in 2020, Goff seemed to struggle reading defenses at times.
He wouldn’t see his hot reads quickly enough when under pressure, which led to poor throws and turnovers. That shouldn’t be a problem for Stafford, who’s a quick-processer and performs well when pressured in the pocket.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception

View attachment 43851

Cameron DaSilva

February 19, 2021 12:19 pm

Frank Ragnow has spent the last three years with the Lions, playing alongside Matthew Stafford. He was the starting center for the last two seasons, which helped him develop a strong relationship with the veteran quarterback.
With Stafford on his way out and headed for Los Angeles, Ragnow reflected on his time with No. 9 and had nothing but great things to say about him. On “Unrestricted with Ben Leber,” Ragnow called Stafford his favorite teammate ever and doesn’t think that will change for as long as he plays.

“Matthew Stafford, I don’t think anyone will ever be able to top my favorite teammate ever,” Ragnow said. “Toughness, passion, competitiveness, everything. I can’t say enough about the guy, and I’m excited to see how he does in Los Angeles, but I’m also super excited about Jared Goff.

Being the Lions’ center, Ragnow was tasked with calling out protection assignments and identifying blitzers to help Stafford read the defense. But with the way Stafford operates, he was often one step ahead of Ragnow in that department.

Being a 12-year veteran, Stafford has seen just about every type of defense there is, so he was typically prepared to change things up at the line before Ragnow was even ready to. That blew him away, calling Stafford “a savant when it comes to reading defenses.”

“He is toughness, hard work – everything good you can say about a guy I’ll say about him. He’s taught me how to be a true professional. He’s a savant when it comes to reading defenses,” Ragnow said. “Blows my mind. It got to the point – so I would make a lot of the protection calls, but he would know. He would know a call he wants to do and he would switch it—he obviously had last say, right? —but I would make the switch and he would be like, ‘There we go, buddy. I was waiting on you.’ … I’m sure there’s a lot of quarterbacks like that, but from my point of view, he’s just a couple speeds ahead that it’s just crazy when it comes to diagnosing defenses and reading things, it’s wild.”

One of the knocks on Jared Goff was that he didn’t do enough at the line of scrimmage without the assistance of Sean McVay. That was mostly a criticism in 2017 and 2018 when they were first getting started together, but even in 2020, Goff seemed to struggle reading defenses at times.
He wouldn’t see his hot reads quickly enough when under pressure, which led to poor throws and turnovers. That shouldn’t be a problem for Stafford, who’s a quick-processer and performs well when pressured in the pocket.
We need a veteran yes. My idea would bring in sully to coach the line. From the looks of it Ragnow would be a good C for this team. Especially since the chemistry is there.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
We need a veteran yes. My idea would bring in sully to coach the line. From the looks of it Ragnow would be a good C for this team. Especially since the chemistry is there.
Ragnow was a first round hit for the Lions a couple years ago. I think he’s just 24 or 25. He may be a foundation piece for Detroit. I doubt he comes free anytime soon.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Ragnow was a first round hit for the Lions a couple years ago. I think he’s just 24 or 25. He may be a foundation piece for Detroit. I doubt he comes free anytime soon.
Stafford may still be here by then. The way I see it, Stafford may retire while on this team. We will see though before we get another QB to take the reigns.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I mean who wouldn't want to bring in a young absolute stud C. I don't think you realize how good Ragnow is.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he was available I am sure Sneed would have already inquired about him. Or I'm giving Sneed to much credit.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Pretty cool to see how Ragnow appreciated Stafford. I don't recall Sullivan or Blythe speaking those words to Goff but not everyone opens up. I am so fucking happy we shocked the world and grabbed Stafford. Unreal!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Pretty cool to see how Ragnow appreciated Stafford. I don't recall Sullivan or Blythe speaking those words to Goff but not everyone opens up. I am so fucking happy we shocked the world and grabbed Stafford. Unreal!

Yeah no kidding. He's gonna bring a real spark next year. Fantastic feeling.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Very excited to see him play in McVays offense. I think he offers a ton in regards to recognizing defenses and making protection calls at the line. Should give us some flexibility at center if we decide to upgrade there with a young, physical specimen instead of a vet that might be better at making the calls.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Waiting on the rest of the moves is like torture lol. With Akers & Stafford that backfield looks downright nasty though that's for damn sure.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
This - more than the arm strength, more than the toughness, more than the leadership - is why I love this trade. We are about to have a diagnostician out there under center.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Very excited to see him play in McVays offense. I think he offers a ton in regards to recognizing defenses and making protection calls at the line. Should give us some flexibility at center if we decide to upgrade there with a young, physical specimen instead of a vet that might be better at making the calls.
Great comment - never thought about that. Perhaps Blythe's ability to make reads & calls was why McV was forced to use him at C? cuz Goff couldn't?? Mebbe Rams do get a developmental but stud specimen C outta da draft then!

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Waiting on the rest of the moves is like torture lol. With Akers & Stafford that backfield looks downright nasty though that's for damn sure.
From everything I have read, Stafford has , since entering the NFL never been this excited and happy.
May have to reign that big arm in at camp, just to keep him from injuring receivers.:giggle:
All jokes aside, I get the feeling this man is on a mission and will do any and everything it takes to acquire a ring or two.
Can't wait to see Stafford and AD leading this team. It's going to be a very exciting season.
We just need to keep in mind that there will probably be some ups and downs as Stafford learns this offense
and gets in tune with his targets

dang

Legend
Give him a gd stud center and make sure he has someone who can stretch the field and a big red zone target. Then let ‘em rip!!!!