Liam Coen likes Ben Skowronek

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He’s going to be a good piece of this team, no team has 3 or 4 Kupps.
Agreed. Ben Skowronek is already a stalwart on special teams plus lays the wood blocking. He does have deceptive speed, plus a large catch radius. He has to work on his route running & the ability to catch the football away from his body. Most of his drops were when the ball was coming over his shoulder or head as opposed to right at him, the drop in the NFC Championship game was over his head for example.
1662478756266.png

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This will not be popular to say so soon, but as of this minute I would rank our WR’s after Kupp and AR as a (healthy) Jefferson, Atwell/McCutcheon (tie), and Skow.
This is just my opinion, but I believe Skow's ceiling is much higher than Atwell's. Even though he is slower, he is a great blocker, he's great on special teams, and he can win contested catches because of his size... none of which Tutu can do. McCutcheon hasn't even played a down yet, so there is no way I would rank him higher, and I believe McVay agrees. However, if Tutu and Cutch blow us away this year, I would be all for it!

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I hope he catches a deep ball or two on thurs night to shut you bastids up about his ball tracking.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The sample size is too small to come to any conclusions at this point.

That being said, if a receiver can't track the ball over their head they shouldn't be on an NFL field. Especially not on a team as deep as ours.

I'm pretty sure Skow is capable of making that catch but he also had a bad drop in the SB that led to an interception as well. Understandable why some fans have a bad taste on Skow in their mouths atm.
Both could be contributed to inexperience in the offense. In the deep pass he seemed to be veering right and Stafford threw it to his left. It’s not easy to track a ball that is over the opposite shoulder. Maybe he hasn’t been asked to make a catch like that in the past either.

On the crosser it was a very tight window throw. Maybe if he continued running through it he catches it or he knocks it down instead of a tip. I don’t recall him running that type of short crosser during the season.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Skow was a nice pick in the 7th round, I believe.

He’s already a pretty good blocker and a fine ST player. Pretty impressive all things considered.

The only reason he saw so many snaps was because of multiple injuries.

But let’s be honest about a few things.

He doesn’t track deep balls well. Both Atwell and McCutcheon do.

I’m gonna be kind here and say that his hands are not the best which is Job One for a WR. Both Atwell and McCutcheon have great hands (Atwell’s in practice).

His speed is okay for a WR, but both Atwell and McCutcheon are faster. Atwell is a real burner.

Look, I like Skow a lot myself but I recognize that he is a 2nd year work in progress. I want to see Atwell on the field in regular season games before he fully wins me over but I’ve already seen enough of McCutcheon.

This will not be popular to say so soon, but as of this minute I would rank our WR’s after Kupp and AR as a (healthy) Jefferson, Atwell/McCutcheon (tie), and Skow.

That is one helluva WR room, huh?
If Snead is to be believed then it’s not likely that we see much of McCutcheon. He said that this is a red shirt year.

As for the improved Tutu, it remains to be seen what he can do in a real game. Maybe he moves to receiver 3 or maybe he ends up barely being used.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
But does Matt Stafford trust him given the numerous (more than one) bad plays? To me, the risk is that Matt hesitates to throw him the ball during his progressions.
If Stafford is that worried, he won't be on the field.

I think the concerns are overblown for a rookie 7th rounder... and especially for one wired to compete like Skow. I look forward to seeing him on the field.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Skow was a nice pick in the 7th round, I believe.

He’s already a pretty good blocker and a fine ST player. Pretty impressive all things considered.

The only reason he saw so many snaps was because of multiple injuries.

But let’s be honest about a few things.

He doesn’t track deep balls well. Both Atwell and McCutcheon do.

I’m gonna be kind here and say that his hands are not the best which is Job One for a WR. Both Atwell and McCutcheon have great hands (Atwell’s in practice).

His speed is okay for a WR, but both Atwell and McCutcheon are faster. Atwell is a real burner.

Look, I like Skow a lot myself but I recognize that he is a 2nd year work in progress. I want to see Atwell on the field in regular season games before he fully wins me over but I’ve already seen enough of McCutcheon.

That is one helluva WR room, huh?
Don't see how anybody can look at him and see much more than a possession receiver who can occasionally sneak by coverage for a bigger gain.

And he flat out doesn't track the deep ball as has already been pointed out.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If Stafford is that worried, he won't be on the field.

I think the concerns are overblown for a rookie 7th rounder... and especially for one wired to compete like Skow. I look forward to seeing him on the field.

The concerns are that he is a 7th rd. Pick. Just look at say Jacob Harris who was drafted 3 Ed’s sooner.
Last season is in the past,but Ben Sko proved he can be a 3rd/Wr on the Rams.
Just seeing him work with Greg Olson & that Liam is talking highly of him shows The Trust.
We can all be doubters,Tutu Atwell was picked when in the same draft. Should we all be concerned?

—How can Cutch be counted on ?

What I know is Allen Robinson is a proven Big-Time veteran WR who will be counted on with Cooper Kupp. Higbee will get his. The rest is all gravy. I expect HENDO to be a nice outlet for Stafford & know Akers will lineup outside in a WR position at times as well.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Don't see how anybody can look at him and see much more than a possession receiver who can occasionally sneak by coverage for a bigger gain.

And he flat out doesn't track the deep ball as has already been pointed out.
And who can knock the shit out of people in the run game.
The total package makes the player, imo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope he catches a deep ball or two on thurs night to shut you bastids up about his ball tracking.
Funny how we’re ready to just get rid of a rookie for a couple rookie mistakes. We’ll see how mcvay and stafford like him.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Funny how we’re ready to just get rid of a rookie for a couple rookie mistakes. We’ll see how mcvay and stafford like him.
I'm gonna crack up if he gets a jet sweep and breaks a decent run off.

Ram65

Legend
Benny Skow has to catch up to the speed of the game. He was able to get reps learning McVay's massive info system. He should get better and better. He will be a solid contributor with his blocking and route running.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah I think he's going to get a hell of an opportunity here with Van out. He'll be splitting time but he has to make the most of it because if he doesn't someone else in that room will end up showing something at some point.

I don't really care all that much how this WR room sorts out. Rather I am going to enjoy watching whoever emerges from it all. Might be Skow that makes a big move. Might be McClutch. Might even be Tutu. But I'm confident one at least will emerge.

oldnotdead

Legend
Ben has always had problems tracking the ball on over the shoulder throws. My money is on McCutcheon being #3 by the end of the season. He's a willing blocker, he doesn't need deceptive speed, he's fast enough, he's a big bodied WR who plays to his size with good hands. He looks like another Robinson, even a bit faster.

Tano

Legend
I was going to do a GIF on ball tracking and thought - um - maybe don't do that search at work

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
thank goodness we don't make the decisions. The patients this coaching staff has, has paid off more than once.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I dunno...that was just a wierd pass.
It's like he had to veer left at the last second...the ball actually hit the outside of his left hand.
He just looked awkward.
Now, given that, you could come back with "what was your first clue?", but like @Merlin, I'm getting a bit tired of everybody bangin' on him for two drops.
Because I haven't seen any references/vids on any others.