Lessons from a letdown: Why teams stumbled after rapid rises

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...-letdown-why-teams-stumbled-after-rapid-rises

Lessons from a letdown: Why teams stumbled after rapid rises

i

With Ezekiel Elliott's status in flux all season and changes on the offensive line, Dak Prescott and the Cowboys slipped in 2017. Ronald Martinez/Getty Image

• Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer
LOS ANGELES -- There's a resurgence and then, typically, there's a letdown.

In recent years, teams that improved dramatically in 12 months usually stumbled immediately thereafter, the hope for sustainable success quickly tempered by the realities of a parity-driven league. From the start of 1990 to the end of 2016, 23 NFL teams increased their win total by seven or more games from the previous season. The following year, however, those 23 teams averaged 3.8 more losses, according to numbers compiled by ESPN's Bill Barnwell.

The Los Angeles Rams (11-5) and the Jacksonville Jaguars (10-6) each made seven-win improvements in 2017, and perhaps history can teach them something. Eleven of the 23 teams that previously experienced similar seven-plus-win improvements saw that win total decrease by four or more the following season. One of those teams, the Pittsburgh Steelers from 2003 to 2005, went from 6-10 to 15-1 to 11-5. But they won the Super Bowl in the final year of that stretch.

These other 10, however, were ripe for evaluation: 1990-92 Denver Broncos (5-11 to 12-4 to 8-8), 1991-93 Indianapolis Colts (1-15 to 9-7 to 4-12), 1997-99 Atlanta Falcons (7-9 to 14-2 to 5-11), 2000-02 Chicago Bears (5-11 to 13-3 to 4-12), 2005-07 Baltimore Ravens (6-10 to 13-3 to 5-11), 2007-09 Miami Dolphins (1-15 to 11-5 to 7-9), 2009-11 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (3-13 to 10-6 to 4-12), 2011-13 Minnesota Vikings (3-13 to 10-6 to 5-10-1), 2014-16 Carolina Panthers (7-8-1 to 15-1 to 6-10) and the 2015-17 Dallas Cowboys (4-12 to 13-3 to 9-7).

the luckiest team ever. They finished 9-7 one season after going 1-15, but they were outscored 302-216 in the process. They sat 4-7, then won their last five games by an average of four points. Their Pythagorean wins that year: 5.0. It's no wonder they fell back down to Earth, to 4-12, the following season. Another team that sticks out here is that 2002 Bears squad that went from 5-11 to 13-3. They had six come-from-behind wins in the 2002 season, and two of them -- in back-to-back weeks -- were the result of Mike Brown interception returns for touchdowns in overtime. The Panthers went from 7-8-1 in 2014 to 15-1 in 2015 largely because they went 6-0 in games decided by one score. They went 2-6 in games decided by one score in 2016, and they fell to 6-10.

6. Intangibles: Sometimes teams are plagued by circumstances that numbers do not measure. Take the early 1990s Broncos, who began the decade by going from 5-11 to 12-4. They entered the 1992 season with great promise, but the rift between coach Dan Reeves and franchise quarterback John Elway continued to grow. Reeves fired one of Elway's biggest confidants at the time, Mike Shanahan, then drafted a quarterback, Tommy Maddox, rather than address a desperate need at wide receiver. The result? The 1992 Broncos fell to 8-8. The 2002 Bears played at a temporary facility while Soldier Field was being repaired, and that might have helped cause their slip. The Buccaneers went from 3-13 in 2009 to 10-6 in 2010. But they sported the NFL's youngest roster, and they dropped right back to 4-12 in 2011. Some would say the 1999 Falcons and the 2016 Panthers suffered that proverbial Super Bowl hangover.

Gerald McCoy, who has been invited to each of the past six Pro Bowls, was limited to six games for the 2011 Bucs. And star running back Ezekiel Elliott was suspended six games for the 2017 Cowboys, who went from 13-3 to 9-7.

4. Offensive-line turnover: Nothing can throw an offense out of whack like instability along the offensive line, and most of the teams here were plagued by that issue. The 1992 Broncos had a different starter at three of five offensive-line spots. The 2002 Bears spent most of the season with a new left side. The 2007 Ravens worked with a different right side. The 2009 Dolphins replaced their center, Samson Satele. The Panthers' offensive line was in a flux throughout 2016, with left tackle Michael Oher limited to three games and center Ryan Kalil playing in only eight. The 2017 Cowboys were forced to replace their left guard, Ronald Leary, and their right tackle, Doug Free.

Ranking top 50 potential free agents »
Looming FA decisions for all 32 teams »

3. Departures: In the offseason leading up to 2002, the Bears lost two key members of their secondary in Walt Harris and Tony Parrish. The same could be said for the 2009 Dolphins, who lost Andre Goodman and Renaldo Hill. The 1999 Falcons lost their leading receiver, Tony Martin. The 2007 Ravens lost running back Jamal Lewis and linebacker Adalius Thomas. The 2011 Buccaneers lost running back Cadillac Williams and linebacker Barrett Ruud. The 2016 Panthers (cornerback Josh Norman) and the 2017 Cowboys (safety Barry Church) each lost valuable pieces in their secondary. They all hurt.

2. Instability at quarterback: This is almost always a killer, and at least seven of these teams suffered from it in one form or another. Elway missed four games for the 1992 Broncos, and his team lost every single one of them. Jim Miller was limited to eight starts for the 2002 Bears, and Steve McNair was limited to six starts for the 2007 Ravens. The 2009 Dolphins were forced to start second-year player Chad Henne for 13 games because Chad Pennington required a third surgery to his throwing shoulder. The 2013 Vikings featured a quarterback carousel that was caused by Christian Ponder missing nearly half the games. The 2011 Buccaneers and the 2016 Cowboys were done in largely by young quarterbacks who took a step back. Josh Freeman's interceptions increased from 6 to 22 in Tampa Bay, and Dak Prescott's passer rating dropped from 104.9 to 86.6 in Dallas.

1. Turnovers: "It's all about the ball." That's what Sean McVay has preached to his Rams players almost every single day since he became their head coach. Turnover margins usually spell the difference, and that is especially the case here. Each of the 10 teams that lost four or more games in the season that followed seven-plus-win improvements experienced a drop in turnover margin. Most were precipitous. The Broncos went from plus-8 in 1991 to minus-12 in 1992; the Falcons went from plus-20 in 1998 to minus-17 in 1999; the Bears went from plus-13 in 2001 to minus-7 in 2002; the Ravens went from plus-17 in 2006 to minus-17 in 2007; the Dolphins went from plus-17 in 2008 to minus-8 in 2009; the Buccaneers went from plus-11 in 2010 to minus-16 in 2011; the Panthers went from plus-20 in 2015 to minus-2 in 2016. You get the idea.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm curious if CAP availability had much influence on these statistics. Often, teams spend CAP capitol in free agency to boost performance and then find themselves spent the following year as some of their earlier young players seeking higher paying contracts themselves bolt the team leaving that team in a lesser position and relying on the draft to fill out the roster.
The Rams are at risk of losing some young talent, but we are also in great shape to re-sign and upgrade thru free agency as we are in a pretty good CAP situation. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah obviously the biggest risk to us this next season is the FAs in the secondary. OL needs futures moves, but for 2018 even if they did nothing would be better than most units outside of maybe depth at certain spots.

This is still a really dangerous offseason for Snead. If he can get through this offseason like the last one, he'll be cemented as one of the better GMs in this league. Just a huge offseason for him.

Name
Seth Griffith
I hope Coach Mc is paying attention. We do need OL depth and continued development of Goff. But the D needs some love too. A couple more 3 and outs each game and a couple more first downs for the O will help sustain/increase our wins next year. I actually think the 9ers will be very competitive next year.

Draft OL, D (line and secondary) and make a couple of smart FA acquisitions. Resign/restructure smartly and draft some BPA and need. Model The Cheatriats

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
It's not gonna be a walk in the park to repeat what we did this year. This year was pretty special. But our division, 49ers are better (amazing what a good QB can do to a team), the Seahawks are old but aren't in full rebuild mode by any means, and the Cardinals definitely need some pieces but they were still a .500 team with that shit-show of a roster. NFC West next year is going to be tough next year. I dont know if I expect another 11 win season, but I don't think it's far fetch either. Next season can't come around soon enough

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Yeah obviously the biggest risk to us this next season is the FAs in the secondary.

Totally agree. Not sure why so many ppl are OK with letting TruJo walk.

Biggest question for me is, who is gonna be our number one corner? Is there any other FA out there who is as good as TruJo and isn't gonna ask for huge money? We don't want a rookie as our #1, and we don't want to count on Kayvon Webster as a #1 either. And the "#1 by committee" approach sounds bad too.

I for one am up for overpaying to keep TruJo, 'cuz I'm concerned we are really gonna miss him if he's gone.

If TruJo goes elsewhere, somebody tell me how we're gonna line up at CB?

Of course I want to keep LJ and NRC, but losing TruJo is what concerns me,I think he is underrated by the fans.

nighttrain

Legend
I've considered all the issues, Rams will sweep their division, that's six wins, out of the other ten games, we will win 6. That is 12-4
train
ps at least six wins, maybe more with a bit of luck

Ram65

Legend
Nothing is guaranteed for next year. Things fell into place this year with all three phases of the game doing their part. The early easier part of the schedule helped build confidence. The Rams benefited from being healthy for the most part all year long until Longacre, GZ and then Brockers went down late in the season.. Webster in and out of the lineup was the biggest injury all season. The offensive line was healthy all year long which was a good thing as depth was limited. The Rams didn't have much depth all around. It was a down year for the rest of the NFC West too.

Snead and McVay had an outstanding off season last year adding the pieces that resulted in the 11-5 season turnaround. As great as Snead and McVay did in the off season last year they have to outdo themselves this year. They have decisions on free agents and veterans on defense moving forward. We all know the list of questions and have to wait for the pieces to fall into place. Hopefully, they top last years decisions and keep the NFC West Champions title.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Our O-line missed 0 starts due to injury. That was a big part of why we were successful. That's going to be hard to replicate so I hope we get capable back ups.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Totally agree. Not sure why so many ppl are OK with letting TruJo walk.

Biggest question for me is, who is gonna be our number one corner? Is there any other FA out there who is as good as TruJo and isn't gonna ask for huge money? We don't want a rookie as our #1, and we don't want to count on Kayvon Webster as a #1 either. And the "#1 by committee" approach sounds bad too.

I for one am up for overpaying to keep TruJo, 'cuz I'm concerned we are really gonna miss him if he's gone.

If TruJo goes elsewhere, somebody tell me how we're gonna line up at CB?

Of course I want to keep LJ and NRC, but losing TruJo is what concerns me,I think he is underrated by the fans.

Guess I have to disagree. I consider our LB'er unit as needy or more so as at CB. They may require more help than either the DL or at CB so long as we re-sign Robey-Coleman. Many might agree that we are only a NT away from a solid DL. CB depth is always important, but let's not deceive ourselves into thinking that TruJo is the only answer, that we automatically fall apart if he moves on. I can think of at least 3 potential free agents who can step right in and probably perform better, and the cost is likely the same or less than TJ. Re-signing Joyner, Robey-Coleman, Watkins & Sullivan are much higher on my list of things to-do. Good thing it wasn't me, I would have dumped TJ after 2016 and gladly paid AJ Bouye. jmo.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I can think of at least 3 potential free agents who can step right in and probably perform better, and the cost is likely the same or less than TJ.

Like who? Please name them. Butler? Joseph? Gaines?

Can step right in and perform the same or better for the same or less money?

With experience as the number one CB?

Again, I think TruJo is under appreciated among fans because he was overpaid for two years... big,strong,can match up with the #1wr, team captain... will not be easy to replace imo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Like who? Please name them. Butler? Joseph? Gaines?

Can step right in and perform the same or better for the same or less money?

With experience as the number one CB?

Malcolm Butler, Bashaud Breeland & Prince Amukamara for a start.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
i wonder who of these three and Trojo, who signs for the most and with who?
train

Anybody's guess at this point. Tru could come down to earth on price and get re-signed, Breeland has a history with McVay and our CB coach Aubrey Pleasant, ... Butler may follow the money, especially if he gets a S.B. ring with the Pats. Amukamara may be the most reasonable cost wise, but hard to say for sure really. jmo.

nighttrain

Legend
Anybody's guess at this point. Tru could come down to earth on price and get re-signed, Breeland has a history with McVay and our CB coach Aubrey Pleasant, ... Butler may follow the money, especially if he gets a S.B. ring with the Pats. Amukamara may be the most reasonable cost wise, but hard to say for sure really. jmo.
my thot, Butler gets his ring and follows the money, i would..Tru has made a ton the last two years, i believe he likes LA and wants to stay, but who knows for sure? Amukamara, well if he's reasonable we do need two starting corners
train

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
my thot, Butler gets his ring and follows the money, i would..Tru has made a ton the last two years, i believe he likes LA and wants to stay, but who knows for sure? Amukamara, well if he's reasonable we do need two starting corners
train

My next in line guys after the above 3 are Kyle Fuller from DaBears, he'd be my #4 on the list ... others like Ross Cockrell from the G-men, ... Aaron Colvin, Jax, ... and our very own EJ Gaines may be better suited for zone coverage, although I believe E.J. can handle man. jmo.

Last edited:

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
This article is great to read.....I have a "reason" for everyone of these teams let downs....most of them it is because of the QB--even the great (lol) Dak Prescott was way of in 2017......

The Rams could fall with 1-3 key injuries for sure. Rams are more balanced than most teams as I see it, but have very little depth. 8-8 to 13-3 is the realm of possibility for sure.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Malcolm Butler, Bashaud Breeland & Prince Amukamara for a start.
I would leave Breeland off that list. I watched most of his games with the Skins the past 2 years ...and he is inconsistent at best. Seems to get dinged up a lot as well.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Interesting article. They don't give a hard reason why the 2000 Rams "fell" to 10-6. The defense was the worst in history, and I still don't know the exact reason other than the many possible reasons that were given, which still don't add up to a really bad defense. Injuries yeah, I can see that costing a couple wins, since it was Warner and Falk who missed time. The only D players missing were the safety Jenkins who was traded... and Farr who missed a few games.

fearsomefour

Legend
Every year there are teams that finish with bad records, say 5-11, but gee they lost 6 games by 6 points or less.
In other words the margin is thin.
Injuries, FA turnover, getting drafted players up to speed, assistant coaching turnover, management not all being on the same page....a lot can go wrong.
Raman have a ton of FAs this year. Lose too many or counting on too many rookies or young players, could cause a retraction for the Rams.
Injuries....same thing.
A handful of games will always come down to turnovers.
The way the Rams were able to work in young players like Johnson at S and Samson at OLB was ideal really.
Here's to another great draft and smart FA spending.