Les Snead Always Double Downs On Eleven

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
—Can’t believe what McSneads vision on being able to open the offense is going to look like.
BTW— not hearing much about 2 of the most Exciting New RB’s ???
Can Akers is actually going to turn 22. I mean not a exGator,but Emmitt22 at Akers age wasn’t much better.
HENDO will make a few nice catches.Dude is EXPLOSIVE!!! I think his vision & knowledge if improved can be a sleeper.Add Beef will hope,he is a smaller RB though.

The running back room is a deep room, a great stable of ballcarriers and pass receivers

Cam Akers
Raymond Calais
Darrell Henderson Jr.
Xavier Jones

PARAM

Hall of Fame
For those who think Les mortgaged the future, what is better? High draft picks and losing seasons for over a decade? Because that was where we were before Les started gambling away the first round picks. Or 4 straight winning seasons and still contending for at least a few more years? Sure, the draft ain't as exciting as it used to be when that was the highlight of our year. But I like the excitement during the season much better.

Les has revolutionized the draft to some degree. The Rams haven't had a first round pick since 2015 (Gurley). But look at who they obtained with those "lost" first round picks. Goff (2016, 2017). Cooks (2018). Ramsey (2020, 2021), Stafford (2022, 2023). They traded out of the first round in 2019 and got Rapp, Henderson, Long, Evans, Gaines and David Edwards was the first pick in that draft that was originally owned by the Rams. So Les has not picked in the first round since 2016 and he's still stocked the roster with quality players. I challenge anybody to show me one NFL team who got 2 quality QBs, a deep threat perennial 1,000 yard receiver and a shut down corner with their first round picks from 2016-2020.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The running back room is a deep room, a great stable of ballcarriers and pass receivers

Cam Akers
Raymond Calais
Darrell Henderson Jr.
Xavier Jones

Calais & Jones will battle it out. Jones wasn’t drafted in 2020,but had camp with The Rams a a udrfa.

HENDO is actually the Veteran of that group.He lined up a lot as The x-Wr on the outside a few times with zero backfield. He got a lot of YAC as well.

Cam Akers is 21-22 & is 15 to 20lbs more than the other three RB’s.It is something to think about in the 2021 draft. Gerald Everett was the HB & Malcom Brown the Big RB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Much more now with our new QB than pre-Stafford. Our previous QB badly needed Kupp which forced that extra-large contract to be made. Kupp now with Woods & Jefferson are 3 top duplicate receivers that basically all do their best work up closer to the LOS. They're the same. Thus the receiver unit lacks a proven constant deep threat. Jackson IMO was last gasp to fill this glaring big hole with a way past his prime deep threat.

Most will read into this as a negative towards Kupp.....but that $16 million a year now in the future would have been so much better utilized if it had been invested in several good veteran starting OL'ers.

We gave Kupp the extension at the start of the 2020 season. $16 million isn't going to buy "several good veteran starting OLers." It could have bought us one top starting OL and maybe a cheapish veteran starter somewhere else or two solid veteran starters on the OL. Thing is that we don't need several starting OLs. We need one OL. But if we hadn't kept Kupp, we'd have needed a WR. And if we had drafted a WR to replace him, we'd need some other position to account for the player we didn't draft.

I think Kupp is worth what he's being paid. I'm glad we have him.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
For those who think Les mortgaged the future, what is better? High draft picks and losing seasons for over a decade? Because that was where we were before Les started gambling away the first round picks. Or 4 straight winning seasons and still contending for at least a few more years? Sure, the draft ain't as exciting as it used to be when that was the highlight of our year. But I like the excitement during the season much better.

It's ok to trade the picks, and the Rams should go for it while they have AD and Ramsay. But eating several big contracts at the same time hurts.

This has left the Rams at least for this year without the flexibility of some other teams. Just count how many players they have lost and how many they have signed.

Hopefully this won't be fatal to their chances this year, but at minimum they have lost some good players (JJ, Fox, Brockers, Hill) and a lot of depth. And they have holes (center, ILB, CB), some of which likely could have been filled by free agents if they weren't eating dead cap space for breakfast. Hopefully they can draft well and find a couple of players who can step up this year.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
We gave Kupp the extension at the start of the 2020 season. $16 million isn't going to buy "several good veteran starting OLers." It could have bought us one top starting OL and maybe a cheapish veteran starter somewhere else or two solid veteran starters on the OL. Thing is that we don't need several starting OLs. We need one OL. But if we hadn't kept Kupp, we'd have needed a WR. And if we had drafted a WR to replace him, we'd need some other position to account for the player we didn't draft.

I think Kupp is worth what he's being paid. I'm glad we have him.

If my memory serves me right jrry32,is draft day 2017 you were a big Copper Kupp fan because of your self scouting? Not sure though ??

Imo - Robert Woods & Coooer Kupp playoff each other very well.Both players fit McVays offense really well
& are veteran leaders.A guy like Jefferson is an amazing fit.DJ11 is all so a wonderful veteran as well because of his speed & skill set.The Rams are lucky to have him on there roster,especially at his salary number.
He should receive his bonuses?

Developing a player that fits this group in the 2021 draft would be fantastic timing.

Not to blow smoke up my own butt & definitely not right all the time.I will make this statement that I do believe I am in the top 98% of Ram Fans when nit comes to evaluations.

I’ve never put out a mock draft & will do it this year & have it moved over because this is not the draft site.

They way I’ve done drafts over the years as if I was a Rams GM.Billy Devaney made me a believer I am or could be better than most.The Rams are in excellent shape & have better personal than anyone on this board. I will say we here as Ram Fans could put a group together that would do really well & then again extremely F”D up !!!
That all said it is my opinion that this post makes my thoughts on the draft even more clear.The Rams needs are BEST Player available always. I don’t know who that player is or ever really will.Copper Kupp was one of those guys that has been an amazing RAM draft pick!!! For value fit & timing is one of The Rams best ever.
The Rams are in a position to draft a All Pro type again.Copper Kupp fits that kind of find.

Mcvay & draft guys are about finding play makers.It has always been the key to my style of drafting.

The positions I value the most in drafts are OLB’s/DE in a 3/4 defense &
RB/WR. In the 2nd & 3rd rds.

That has been my secret for 35 plus years. Anyways I’ll continue later on this . As a Rams Fan I ABSOLUTELY LOVE where The Rams are at right now as a FRANCHISE. I HONESTLY can’t think of a better time of place in my 40 to 50 years as well Rams Fan.

It’s the ultimate.
The Rams have a chance to win a SuperBowl in 2021 in The Best Stadium in The World in an area I grew up in. Stan Kronke & Kevin Demoff deserve Extra Credit for making it happen. I will always say & believed this day may come a few (10 ?) years back. I never thought it would happen this good or dreamed of It happening like this..
Just the fact no Ram Fans have ever been in SOFI STaduim is unreal. A season like 2020. Then to think of an Incredible Stadium The Raiders have built in Vegas of all places ?Then both teams played a season in those Stadiums without NFL FANS!!!

Could anyone write a better Script??
Here was a post I started & didn’t or wasn’t allowed here to write.I don’t even know what I said,but Kevin Demoff,Les Snead(add Mcvay) & Stan Kronke have helped put THE RAMS in this INSANE ( as DJ11 was apart of ? Gang) DREAM!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
For the love of Pete...... It's Cooper...... COOPER KUPP.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Developing a player that fits this group in the 2021 draft would be fantastic timing.

They just drafted Jefferson last year. And they have Trishton Jackson, a Jefferson clone on the roster, who's practiced with the squad all season long. A deep threat to replace Desean Jackson after this season would be nice though. Or they could wait until 2022, when they have like 20 picks with all the comps. Because the deep threat doesn't really have to know the entire playbook....go deep!!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Don’t even know where this dream would take me. In my LIFE TIME I never even thought this could happen
the way it did.

TALK ABOUT FEILD OF DREAMS !!

I still always believe if George ALLen never died & was able to coach LONG BEACH STATE !! The Campus would have had a Football Stadium.If Anyone ever fly’s into LB Airport could see that empty space by the PYRAMID.

NOBODY will ever tell you that,but George ALLEN would have had that happen. That story was never allowed to have been written. ASK TERREL DAVIS where he played &for who when he went to GEORGIA? GEORGE?GEORGIA ??
LONG BEACH? LONG BEACH? LONG BEACH STATE ?? UCI ?? CAL STATE FULLERTON??? BLAIR STADIUM ?? VETERANS STADIUM?? The LB PYRAMID?? Now starring

SOFI STADIUM 2021
LA COLISEUM together for
2028 OYLMPICS (1984)

Talk about Fran Tarkington getting away from the FEARSOME FOUR in the SNOW(not Jack nor JT) Now that’s INCREDIBLE..

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Les has revolutionized the draft to some degree. The Rams haven't had a first round pick since 2015 (Gurley). But look at who they obtained with those "lost" first round picks. Goff (2016, 2017). Cooks (2018). Ramsey (2020, 2021), Stafford (2022, 2023). They traded out of the first round in 2019 and got Rapp, Henderson, Long, Evans, Gaines and David Edwards was the first pick in that draft that was originally owned by the Rams. So Les has not picked in the first round since 2016 and he's still stocked the roster with quality players. I challenge anybody to show me one NFL team who got 2 quality QBs, a deep threat perennial 1,000 yard receiver and a shut down corner with their first round picks from 2016-2020.

Seems like trading firsts has been noticed. The 49ers are copying that philosophy. I wouldn't be surprised to see more teams trade away first round picks for proven players in the future seeing how the Rams remain contenders year after year.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's ok to trade the picks, and the Rams should go for it while they have AD and Ramsay. But eating several big contracts at the same time hurts.

This has left the Rams at least for this year without the flexibility of some other teams. Just count how many players they have lost and how many they have signed.

Hopefully this won't be fatal to their chances this year, but at minimum they have lost some good players (JJ, Fox, Brockers, Hill) and a lot of depth. And they have holes (center, ILB, CB), some of which likely could have been filled by free agents if they weren't eating dead cap space for breakfast. Hopefully they can draft well and find a couple of players who can step up this year.

LMAO - when you look at the whole picture & not focus on PAYING the best RAM Players it gives you a different picture.

1. Jared Goff was a Franchise QB who Snisher hand picked.Les made it happen,but Fisher was TRASH as a O”sided mind.He was a defensive guy.Plus a BIG EGO GUY.Foles won a SuperBowl as a QB,Case went to the NFC Championship that lost to Philly.

2.Enter Sean Mcvay & Aaron Donald holding out.Did The Rams pay him that first year(4th? My guess-no).The Rams FRANCHISED Tru JOHNSON a 2nd time because of lack of depth.Traded DE(mermaid) made to Miami.
3.Quinn had a huge contract,Moved JJoyner to FS,Traded Robinson (#2 pick),Tavon(Hcontract).Demoff https://mobile.twitter.com/kdemoff over pays players since 2009 & Chris Long. Ogletree??
4.Troy Hill,Fox,Littleton,are guys Les Snead signed as uDRFA guys.

Gurley ??? — Brockers though ???— how did he even fit under the cap last season ?? Brandon Cook-1st rd pick,Rams 2nd rd pick Van Jefferson.
What about Austin Corbett??
Fowler ??
Rams just paid Floyd(?),Whitworth,Woods,Kupp,Haveinstien,Aaron Donald.
I don’t get your point about dead money & draft picks ??
5.Goff’s contract ??? —
Stafford’s cost is like 4 1st rd picks,1 2nd rd pick,2 3rd rd picks, & a 5th ????
Plus dead money.
6. Gurley was a Older RB with knee injuries who was a Top 5 all-time Ram RB. Drafted #10.might have actually been The Rams last 1st rd draft pick ??
7.Cam Akers a 21 year old rookie who is a 1st rd value.May end up being The Best RB in 2020
8. T. Lewis is a Gurley type of draft pick. He could become a 1st rd talent?? The thing not having a 5th year is control of an extra year.
The Rams waited on Aaron Donald,but not on Gurley & Goff to extend those players. The thing is is The Rams don’t have that final year now ,but find top talent.They pay those veterans.

Developing players is what helps The Rams reload.The comp picks have been the results of success.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Seems like trading firsts has been noticed. The 49ers are copying that philosophy. I wouldn't be surprised to see more teams trade away first round picks for proven players in the future seeing how the Rams remain contenders year after year.

The Hope the 9ers F”up and Draft a Crap QB. Goff was crap year 1 & under Fisher might have been a bust ???

The Rams have traded 1’s for Cooks
RAMsey 2 1’s. Stafford 2 1’s Goff
Fowler a 2nd
Peter’s a 2nd

oldnotdead

Legend
This is a prime example of 20/20 hindsight. I have no problems with Snead's handling of the roster or cap. I could see the logic in his moves and still do. His job is to build and maintain a SB level roster. He's been doing a pretty damn good job of that. Most teams basically stop drafting after the 5th round, but Snead still has targeted players all the way into the priority UDFA.

For every 1st round O-line player taken, there are far and away more busts. The jump from college to the NFL is huge for o-line, in terms of the speed of the game, the strength of the opposition, and the emphasis upon technique. People denigrated this o-line yet they have proven far better than most expected.

Noteboom is a solid OT who is still learning and developing. The same can be said of Edwards who has been playing out of position at OG. Evans who was practiced and coached up as an OT under Kromer has played very well at the position which is his best fit, i.e. OG.
With Noteboom and Edwards, they have their long-term OTs. The same can be said with Evans and Corbett. Allen and Shelton are clear upgrades to Blythe.

Only the media seems to think there is a hole at ILB. But these media guys have PROVEN they don't watch or understand the positions and scheme. So who are they to pass judgment? At MIKE the Rams have two young vets in Kiser and Reeder. At RILB they have two young vets in Young and Howard. This position is only a part-time position. Young played only 46% of the snaps because he was pulled to bring in the nickel DB. A 4 of these LBs have shown enough to warrant continued development. Will they draft an ILB? Perhaps but IMO it is not a position of priority so mid to late round seems most likely. IMO they expect Moncrief and Rozeboom to step up and prove themselves.

If the Rams take an LB it will probably be an edge to play OLB. But if Lewis can finally stay healthy he's a perfect match to bookend Floyd. I also still say Jonah Williams could very well get into this mix.

IMO their second round pick will probably be a SCB which is really the only open position, though they can shift Ramsey there, slide Williams to the opposite boundary and play Long at RCB. This could be a make or break year for Long so I can see Snead backstopping the position in this draft. I also see them taking a FB probably in the mid to late rounds. They also need a LS so I can see them taking one in this draft. But overall I still contend this roster is set and the draft will be more about depth and future starters.

Guys like Hoecht, J. Williams, Rozeboom, and Moncrief will be expected to step up to be game day rotational players.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Agreed. The key(s) to adopting this formula are critical though. You have to be able to consistently draft well in the middle rds and be able to find good talent on the fringes(UDFA). You also need to have good coaching in place to develop the fringe talent.

Using SF as an example, i'd say they have most of those things in place. Coaching has been solid and they've drafted fairly well IMO, although the real test will be in the next few yrs, now that they'll have to draft with no 1st's like Snead has for years.

Can they maintain a competitive roster with 2's, 3's,4's and UDFA for the next five years like the Rams have?
I have my doubts.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Don’t even know where this dream would take me. In my LIFE TIME I never even thought this could happen
the way it did.

I still always believe if George ALLen never died & was able to coach LONG BEACH STATE !! The Campus would have had a Football Stadium.If Anyone ever fly’s into LB Airport could see that empty space by the PYRAMID.

NOBODY will ever tell you that,but George ALLEN would have had that happen. That story was never allowed to have been written. ASK TERREL DAVIS where he played &for who when he went to GEORGIA? GEORGE?GEORGIA ??
LONG BEACH? LONG BEACH? LONG BEACH STATE ?? UCI ?? CAL STATE FULLERTON??? BLAIR STADIUM ?? VETERANS STADIUM?? The LB PYRAMID?? Now starring

SOFI STADIUM 2021
LA COLISEUM together for
2028 OYLMPICS (1984)

Talk about Fran Tarkington getting away from the FEARSOME FOUR in the SNOW(not Jack nor JT) Now that’s INCREDIBLE..
Hard to argue with THAT!o_O

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
the way it did.

SOFI STADIUM 2021
LA COLISEUM together for
2028 OYLMPICS (1984)

LMAO - when you look at the whole picture & not focus on PAYING the best RAM Players it gives you a different picture.

1. Jared Goff was a Franchise QB who Snisher hand picked.Les made it happen,but Fisher was TRASH as a O”sided mind.He was a defensive guy.Plus a BIG EGO GUY.Foles won a SuperBowl as a QB,Case went to the NFC Championship that lost to Philly.

2.Enter Sean Mcvay & Aaron Donald holding out.Did The Rams pay him that first year(4th? My guess-no).The Rams FRANCHISED Tru JOHNSON a 2nd time because of lack of depth.Traded DE(mermaid) made to Miami.
3.Quinn had a huge contract,Moved JJoyner to FS,Traded Robinson (#2 pick),Tavon(Hcontract).Demoff https://mobile.twitter.com/kdemoff over pays players since 2009 & Chris Long. Ogletree??
4.Troy Hill,Fox,Littleton,are guys Les Snead signed as uDRFA guys.

Gurley ??? — Brockers though ???— how did he even fit under the cap last season ?? Brandon Cook-1st rd pick,Rams 2nd rd pick Van Jefferson.
What about Austin Corbett??
Fowler ??
Rams just paid Floyd(?),Whitworth,Woods,Kupp,Haveinstien,Aaron Donald.
I don’t get your point about dead money & draft picks ??
5.Goff’s contract ??? —
Stafford’s cost is like 4 1st rd picks,1 2nd rd pick,2 3rd rd picks, & a 5th ????
Plus dead money.
6. Gurley was a Older RB with knee injuries who was a Top 5 all-time Ram RB. Drafted #10.might have actually been The Rams last 1st rd draft pick ??
7.Cam Akers a 21 year old rookie who is a 1st rd value.May end up being The Best RB in 2020
8. T. Lewis is a Gurley type of draft pick. He could become a 1st rd talent?? The thing not having a 5th year is control of an extra year.
The Rams waited on Aaron Donald,but not on Gurley & Goff to extend those players. The thing is is The Rams don’t have that final year now ,but find top talent.They pay those veterans.

Developing players is what helps The Rams reload.The comp picks have been the results of success.

Whoa, @So Ram :D

tenor.gif

That’s a good topic in itself.

13331C10-6508-4258-8F4E-9E9265A1CD8B.png

Dobbins YPC. :shock: