Last Men Standing: Survivors of Current Roster for First Game in Inglewood

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's still a ways off until the first game in Inglewood.

I would say that most of the Rams current roster will not be on the team on that day. Jared Goff isn't the best player on the team, but he is the most important player for the future. Aaron Donald is the best player on the team, and maybe the best player in the NFL, but he is not the most important (IMO). Having said that, Donald will get a huge contract and will play in that game in Inglewood. Strong chance that Woods and Kupp will be there too along with big contract Brandin Cooks....

I worry that Todd won't make it. We will talk ourselves into looking at the stats of cheap RB's who do collectively stats-wise what Todd does by himself. As I said elsewhere, stats can mislead when not considering the way a premium RB can take over a game at the biggest moments. Corners will be cut and Todd will be gone:cry:

So who do you think will be the Last Men Standing when Inglewood opens?

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
No rookies listed, only those who've made a big impression.

Goff = in
Gurley = in
Everett = in
Woods = in
Cooks = in
Kupp = in
Donald = in
Brockers = in
Peters = in
J. Johnson = in
NRC = inout
Havenstein = in
Saffold = inout
Ebukam = in

Whitworth = out
Sullivan = outin
J. Brown = out
Talib = out
Barron = out
Suh = out

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No rookies listed, only those who've made a big impression.

Goff = in
Gurley = in
Everett = in
Woods = in
Cooks = in
Kupp = in
Donald = in
Brockers = in
Peters = in
J. Johnson = in
NRC = inout
Havenstein = in
Saffold = inout
Ebukam = in

Whitworth = out
Sullivan = outin
J. Brown = out
Talib = out
Barron = out
Suh = out
Wow...you have a lot of people making it there...2018, 2019 seasons and surviving the 2020 off season. I believe the career life expectancy is like 3.5 years in the NFL, let alone the churn of rosters. I think Havenstein and Brockers may be gone after 2018 or 2019, along with Gurley

Hav is strictly a RT, but will get overpaid next offseason because teams may fool themselves into believing he could be a LT. Enter Josh Noteboom
Brockers will be 29 years old when his current contract ends and will want one big long term contract in his career. Will the Rams want to pay a guy almost 30 years old a big contract? I don't think so, but maybe they will...
Gurley? I already made the case for him being gone in the OP....

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
@LoyalRam this is a great idea for a type of game/contest.

Maybe like picking a dozen players, maybe 15 or whatever, and the poster with the most wins a title.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@LoyalRam this is a great idea for a type of game/contest.

Maybe like picking a dozen players, maybe 15 or whatever, and the poster with the most wins a title.
I like it..@flv, GET ON IT! Survivor Pool!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
flv on an any given day....

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Gurley just fits that LA mode so well. I'd think Stan would want him plastered on the building to christen it just perfectly.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Wow...you have a lot of people making it there...2018, 2019 seasons and surviving the 2020 off season. I believe the career life expectancy is like 3.5 years in the NFL, let alone the churn of rosters. I think Havenstein and Brockers may be gone after 2018 or 2019, along with Gurley

Hav is strictly a RT, but will get overpaid next offseason because teams may fool themselves into believing he could be a LT. Enter Josh Noteboom
Brockers will be 29 years old when his current contract ends and will want one big long term contract in his career. Will the Rams want to pay a guy almost 30 years old a big contract? I don't think so, but maybe they will...
Gurley? I already made the case for him being gone in the OP....
The ones I listed as staying are about the only ones except for maybe a few journeymen like Longacre or others like him and about 4 or 5 rookies.

Now as far as Gurley goes, running backs just aren't that expensive compared to other positions like a QB or a WR so he'll be an easier cap fit. Plus I see us being linked to Suh at the most 3 seasons, but I expect him to be one and done deal, this making Gurley easier to sign.

Now with Brockers, since I expect Suh to be one and done, as he'll most likely ask too much after this year, I see the Rams wanting to hold onto Brockers for continuity, which I'll talk more about later.

As far as Havenstein goes, The Rams will be getting ready to lose Whitworth, Sullivan, and after this year Brown will likely be gone, so I'm pretty sure that they will try to maintain some level, dare I say again, continuity and try to sign both he and Saffold.

That brings me to my last point, CONTINUITY. In one of his interviews last off season, Coach McVsy said that one of the things he wanted to bring to the Rams was continuity. One of the areas he hit on was having as much continuity as possible when it comes to the roster and not always having a huge turnover and yet stay competitive this allowing players to feel a sense of family. So the roster turn over may not be as big as some expect

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gurley just fits that LA mode so well. I'd think Stan would want him plastered on the building to christen it just perfectly.
I love me some Gurley....but the perception is that RB's can be replaced, especially when a group of players need to be re-signed. Especially if we win a Super Bowl this year, will Gurley want Lev Bell money when it's time for him? Gurley has supported Bell's demands in the contract dispute, because he knows that his time is coming. *shrugs, it doesn't look good for Todd in 2020 to me...

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I love me some Gurley....but the perception is that RB's can be replaced, especially when a group of players need to be re-signed. Especially if we win a Super Bowl this year, will Gurley want Lev Bell money when it's time for him? Gurley has supported Bell's demands in the contract dispute, because he knows that his time is coming. *shrugs, it doesn't look good for Todd in 2020 to me...

When is the next CBA agreement?

All football players are seeing NBA money and starting to think about how much of the pie they are actually getting in this billion dollar business. In the end it's us the consumer that suffers the most.

I think the Steelers have been highly lowballing Leveon. Rumored to be only offering 10 million guaranteed. We will see when the time comes. But I think in LA you need stars, stars that work well in the limelight. I think Todd is just too perfect a fit in LA. He'll also know that he's getting the endorsement deals, etc because he's in LA

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When is the next CBA agreement?

All football players are seeing NBA money and starting to think about how much of the pie they are actually getting in this billion dollar business. In the end it's us the consumer that suffers the most.

I think the Steelers have been highly lowballing Leveon. Rumored to be only offering 10 million guaranteed. We will see when the time comes. But I think in LA you need stars, stars that work well in the limelight. I think Todd is just too perfect a fit in LA. He'll also know that he's getting the endorsement deals, etc because he's in LA
Like I said, Gurley is a favorite of mine....but someone important is not going to fit under the CAP here in the next couple of years. Somethings gotta give...

CBA agreement expires in 2021

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Do we know what kind of money the Steelers offered Bell?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do we know what kind of money the Steelers offered Bell?
I don't...but I have heard that Bell wants WR money because of his importance in the passing game, instead of being paid like a lower paid RB. This sounds similar to Jimmy Graham wanting WR money from New Orleans, instead of TE money back in the day.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I don't...but I have heard that Bell wants WR money because of his importance in the passing game, instead of being paid like a lower paid RB. This sounds similar to Jimmy Graham wanting WR money from New Orleans, instead of TE money back in the day.
He'll be a free agent next year and if he keeps making those demands it may become very precarious for him, it could even be to his doom. He may end up getting black balled. But it only takes one team. Guess we as Ram fans well want to take a keen interest as to how it all plays out.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He'll be a free agent next year and if he keeps making those demands it may become very precarious for him, it could even be to his doom. He may end up getting black balled. But it only takes one team. Guess we as Ram fans well want to take a keen interest as to how it all plays out.
This contract dispute and Todd's support of Bell's side, especially when you consider the RB/WR hybrid aspect to their games, makes me think Gurley is going to want to be paid like a WR....This doesn't make me feel comfy when thinking of re-signing him.

Last edited:

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Over the years the Rams have been known to feature great RBs and I truly believe Gurley is one of them. If this is Whitworth's and Saffold's last season with the Rams the money may be there. I want them to keep Gurley but a lot will depend on the development of Jon Kelly, he is by no means Gurley but he was a damn good RB at Tennessee.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

He's good, but look at his history.

Arrested for DUI/weed, and suspended. Stupid thing to do.

Suspended for violating the substance abuse rule. Which means at least two failed or missed tests. Stupid thing to do.

Threatened to sit out/retire if the Steelers tagged him. Stupid thing to do.

Turned down a 2 year 30MIL deal, which is upper level WR money. Stupid thing to do.

He's had a couple of excellent years, but doesn't deserved to be paid like the best ever. And one more strike on the substance abuse thing means several games on the sidelines. He's a big risk. He's has "bad patterns", I'd make a fair offer then walk away if he says no if I were the Steelers GM.

Check this out. 18MIL the forst year, and an average of 13MIL over the first 3 years. For a RB???

He wants 15MIL a year or more LOL. Good luck!!

His agent is a dickbrain for turning that contract down.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...m-more-than-18m-in-2017-alone-during-holdout/

While the Steelers and the agent for Le'Veon Bell never formally agreed to terms on a new contract with the deadline to sign the player on the franchise tag approaching this summer, they did draw up a contract all sides hoped the running back would sign, according to league sources.

That deal would have paid Bell in excess of $18 million in the first year of the contract -- a staggering figure for a running back at a time when the position's salaries have decreased -- and the offer averaged $13 million per year over the first three years, but Bell never relented. He and his agent had set up shop in South Florida, and, with the 4 p.m. deadline nearing on July 17, all paperwork was ready to be faxed back to the Steelers, but Bell never put pen to paper.

The Steelers knew any contract terms always were subject to Bell's approval, and that even though his advisors and union officials believed the deal was incredibly strong for the player, there was no guarantee he would actually sign. They were optimistic he may sign, sources said, but never assumed the deal was done.

Bell has been adamant that he earn $15 million or more per year, looking to push the running back market back to where Adrian Peterson once set it before a suspension and injuries led to Peterson's demise in Minnesota (he signed a team-friendly deal with New Orleans this offseason). It seems unlikely that Bell wavers from that stance should he stay healthy and avoid suspension himself this season. Pittsburgh significantly sweetened the pot for him several times during negotiations -- giving him $18 million by next March was a 50 percent improvement over the roughly $12 million he will earn this season on the franchise tag -- and still it was not enough to close the deal.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
He's good, but look at his history.

Arrested for DUI/weed, and suspended. Stupid thing to do.

Suspended for violating the substance abuse rule. Which means at least two failed or missed tests. Stupid thing to do.

Threatened to sit out/retire if the Steelers tagged him. Stupid thing to do.

Turned down a 2 year 30MIL deal, which is upper level WR money. Stupid thing to do.

He's had a couple of excellent years, but doesn't deserved to be paid like the best ever. And one more strike on the substance abuse thing means several games on the sidelines. He's a big risk. He's has "bad patterns", I'd make a fair offer then walk away if he says no if I were the Steelers GM.

Check this out. 18MIL the forst year, and an average of 13MIL over the first 3 years. For a RB???

He wants 15MIL a year or more LOL. Good luck!!

His agent is a dickbrain for turning that contract down.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...m-more-than-18m-in-2017-alone-during-holdout/

While the Steelers and the agent for Le'Veon Bell never formally agreed to terms on a new contract with the deadline to sign the player on the franchise tag approaching this summer, they did draw up a contract all sides hoped the running back would sign, according to league sources.

That deal would have paid Bell in excess of $18 million in the first year of the contract -- a staggering figure for a running back at a time when the position's salaries have decreased -- and the offer averaged $13 million per year over the first three years, but Bell never relented. He and his agent had set up shop in South Florida, and, with the 4 p.m. deadline nearing on July 17, all paperwork was ready to be faxed back to the Steelers, but Bell never put pen to paper.

The Steelers knew any contract terms always were subject to Bell's approval, and that even though his advisors and union officials believed the deal was incredibly strong for the player, there was no guarantee he would actually sign. They were optimistic he may sign, sources said, but never assumed the deal was done.

Bell has been adamant that he earn $15 million or more per year, looking to push the running back market back to where Adrian Peterson once set it before a suspension and injuries led to Peterson's demise in Minnesota (he signed a team-friendly deal with New Orleans this offseason). It seems unlikely that Bell wavers from that stance should he stay healthy and avoid suspension himself this season. Pittsburgh significantly sweetened the pot for him several times during negotiations -- giving him $18 million by next March was a 50 percent improvement over the roughly $12 million he will earn this season on the franchise tag -- and still it was not enough to close the deal.
18 million dollars?! And he turned it down?! That is the definition of stupid. There's no way he should expect anyone to meet his high demands when he's such a huge risk. IDIOT!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And wants to set the market like Adrian Peterson did - but Peterson collapsed quickly and wasted a ton of cap space - and he was a truly elite RB. It's poor strategy to bring him up.