LASED could host new transportation services

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://archpaper.com/2018/07/automated-people-mover-los-angeles-inglewood/

D82B75AD-01A8-43D9-BBAD-5544C9FCC1E8-1024x0-c-default.jpeg

The City of Inglewood in Southern California has announced a plan to add a 1.8-mile automated people mover (APM) connecting the forthcoming Los Angeles Rams stadium and the region’s growing transit network in the near future.

A recently-unveiled scoping study called Envision Inglewood calls for establishing a “direct connection to rail” between downtown Inglewood and the city’s impressive slate of professional sports and performance venues.

Facilities that could be connected by the new transit route include: The Forum, the forthcoming Los Angeles Stadium and Entertainment District at Hollywood Park, and the recently-unveiled Inglewood Basketball and Entertainment Center, a potential new basketball stadium for the Los Angeles Clippers NBA team. The new $2.66 billion Rams stadium is designed by HKS Architects and will be joined by a 3,000-unit mixed-use residential development next door known as “City of Champions.” The Forum was designed by Charles Luckman Associates in 1966 in the late modern style; The complex is slated to host the gymnastic events for the 2028 Olympic Games.

4606D9A9-1057-487E-9C23-93491D0B7939-645x431.jpeg

The Envision Inglewood plan was crafted in conjunction with a series of other transportation and pedestrian fixes. The plan considers four different alignments and a handful of transport modes in its aim to provide a “world-class transit connection to-and-from the Metro Crenshaw/LAX Line” transit route, an 8.5 mile light rail line connecting the cities of Los Angeles, Inglewood, and El Segundo through southern Los Angeles County slated to open in 2019.

According to a presentation made at the Inglewood City Council, the report’s chosen route—dubbed the “Market-Manchester” alignment—would add the APM link starting from the forthcoming Downtown Inglewood stop on the Crenshaw Line. The elevated train would snake down Market Street and Manchester Boulevard, ultimately ending up on South Prairie street where it can conveniently stop at the three stadium and performance venue locations.

70D1A06F-DBC4-4A22-A762-8612284AC7EA-645x415.jpeg

Renderings for the proposed plan depict lively street scenes overlooked by elevated train tracks on concrete piers. Projections for the line envision up to 2,578,120 potential boardings across the APM route per year, with slightly less than 40% of all boardings related to “event ridership.” According to the report, the link could cost $614.4 million to build and between $18.2 million and $19.5 million to operate each year.

A timeline for the project’s completion has not been announced. The new football stadium is scheduled to open for the 2019-2020 NFL season.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Interesting. That means the operating cost per boarding would be about $10 not including construction. I’m guessing this isn’t one of Stan’s projects.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder how much they'd anticipate saving in other construction (offramps, traffic mitigation, etc). I don't see it making sense unless they anticipate huge savings elsewhere.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Proper transportation of people and automobiles is essential to the success of the Rams new home. If it's anything like what they currently have in LA many of us will choose to stay home in the AC. As it sits now it's about a 4 hour trek to get from LA to OC with current public transportation which is obsurd.

fearsomefour

Legend
just cant wait to see the homeless people camped out on it going round like plates of sushi in a Japanese automated restaurant

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder how non-football John Q. public will like this? If it pays for itself with a $10 charge like 503 thinks , it sounds great. I just know that builders normally have rosy projections for light rail, where costs are actually higher than first thought.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
I just went down to the LASD offices to get my sales pitch on season tickets and licensing. 10,500 parking spaces guaranteed each game. The Rams (stadium people) told that to Inglewood. Traffic flow will be metered, meaning say there is a four lane road leading to the stadium, at some point they will make 3 of the 4 lanes entry only and the single lane an exit lane. After the game, reverse it. That will help with traffic as they do that now at Anaheim Stadium.

Light rail was briefly talked about but more in the "sales pitch" tone. "Yes, they are planning on building some light rail lines into the stadium."

Uh huh.

They are going to need something better than just access for cars! Like @Jacobarch said, public transportation is not very good right now. It has gotten better, much better but there is still some ways to go and much room for improvement.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I wonder how non-football John Q. public will like this? If it pays for itself with a $10 charge like 503 thinks , it sounds great. I just know that builders normally have rosy projections for light rail, where costs are actually higher than first thought.
Well to be straight, a $10 cost per boarding is a pipe dream. That would only cover operating expenses and it will no doubt be far higher. Look at Portland’s cost per rider for their light rail and trolley system. A report showed they’d lose half as much money if they simply didn’t charge people who rode it. These are usually bright shiny toys for politicians to brag about.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well to be straight, a $10 cost per boarding is a pipe dream. That would only cover operating expenses and it will no doubt be far higher. Look at Portland’s cost per rider for their light rail and trolley system. A report showed they’d lose half as much money if they simply didn’t charge people who rode it. These are usually bright shiny toys for politicians to brag about.
Yes, I had Portland in mind, being a former resident of Milwaukie...lol

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not shiny, and has its own issues, but a spur bus line is almost certainly the most cost effective - and would be easy to ramp up and down for traffic needs. And the excess buses can be rented out for other things, when they aren't needed.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Yeah, think I'll file this next to the Dodger Stadium monorail plan and near the Elon Musk hypertunnel under LA plan

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
The LAX monorail is a done deal.

Being one that flies in from Norcal, it would great if they tied something in that could take us to the Stadium.

There will be other ways. We were told at the presentation that they were hooking up with rideshare programs for just that. Taking us back to LAX. I was happy to hear they were already thinking of these issues.

GO RAMS!!!

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Interesting, I do transitway planning and development for a living. This is a city of Inglewood project, so it's not part of the stadium complex work, but related to it.

Looking at the project and a little at Inglewood's transportation plan, it's a project intended for more than just football games; it's intended to serve the LASED. http://envisioninglewood.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/ITC-fact-sheet.pdf It's a transit project for that new commercial district, though it's an expensive one.

I dunno. At first glance, Prairie Ave and Century Blvd are both six lane arterials, so one lane inbound and outbound could be reserved for a bus shuttle, or just add frequency to the local routes. It's in a difficult spot.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not shiny, and has its own issues, but a spur bus line is almost certainly the most cost effective - and would be easy to ramp up and down for traffic needs. And the excess buses can be rented out for other things, when they aren't needed.
Even if they weren’t able to rent them out for other uses, this would still be far more cost effective.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones

Don't forget the kickbacks and/or relatives that get the contracts. Portlands toy choo-choos made a lot of connected people rich.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Don't forget the kickbacks and/or relatives that get the contracts. Portlands toy choo-choos made a lot of connected people rich.
I'm interested in what happened in Portland. Tell me more!