Lance Kendricks to be Extended

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
Based on the limited info, it's too much for him (IMO) but it really mainly comes down to what the guaranteed money is. If that's not too crazy then whatever.

jap

Legend
Based on the limited info, it's too much for him (IMO) but it really mainly comes down to what the guaranteed money is. If that's not too crazy then whatever.

You always overpay in FA. As long as the extra money over true worth is not too crazy, it's all good.

ausmurp

Starter
Wow he is not worth $4.5M a yr. Jeez when I saw this I was like wtf. We could've got a way better TE for that much.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I've heard some refer to Kendricks as a "backup." He started 15 games & played 60.6 percent of snaps. Jared Cook 67.0, Cory Harkey 33.3.-Howard Balzer.

And in some games he played more snaps than any TE, 75% against Washington. His blocking is such an asset, I know some aren't impressed, but he was matched up against Von Miller after he gave Barks fits and shut him down. He also an effective receiver, not a threat like Cook, but a solid option. He lead the team in TD receptions, 5, not a milestone, but still no one else could top it. I think his salary is a fair deal for us, and I expect him to continue to get better.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
I want to see the details of the deal before I question it.

Like V3 said it depends on the guaranteed portion.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I think he's gone if not for the Bradford trade.
4.5 mill sounds about right for a guy that can block and catch. He does it all.
Kendricks is a good athlete. I don't get the disdain.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I'm not too excited about it to be honest, we just paid over backup tight end almost 5m a year for the next 4 years. He's decent, no one is denying that. He's got good hands, he's a good blocker but he's not great at anything. He's not best pass catching TE on the roster (Cooks) and not even the best in line blocker (Harkey)...

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Maybe they're gearing up to dump Cooks in the next year or two if he doesn't pan out...lot of money for not a ton of production at the TE spot

RamBill

Legend
Rams officially re-sign TE Lance Kendricks
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/16985/rams-officially-re-sign-te-lance-kendricks

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams officially announced they have re-signed tight end Lance Kendricks on Wednesday night, a day after they had come to terms on the framework of a deal.

The Rams' announcement did not disclose the terms of the deal but the original numbers that ESPN NFL Insider Adam Caplan and I reported Tuesday were four years and $18.5 million. It remains to be seen if those are the actual numbers and, of course, the guaranteed money is still unknown. Once we get those numbers, we'll be sure to break them down right here.

In the meantime, the Rams are retaining a player that probably doesn't draw a lot of attention but is considered vital to what the Rams do offensively and who they want to be. Tight ends coach Rob Boras has long been a major Kendricks' supporter and his versatility undoubtedly was a reason the Rams wanted to keep him.

The Rams used a second-round pick on Kendricks in the 2011 NFL draft. In the time since, he has been something of a "Swiss Army knife," playing all over the formation and even lining up at fullback at times. In 2014, the 27-year-old Kendricks had 27 catches for 259 yards with five touchdowns.

For his four-year career, Kendricks has 129 receptions for 1,388 yards and 13 scores.

iced

I think he's gone if not for the Bradford trade.
4.5 mill sounds about right for a guy that can block and catch. He does it all.
Kendricks is a good athlete. I don't get the disdain.

Right? He's this teams Swiss Army knife..TE/Outwide/FB/Backfield/ etc.

I'll take his consistent blocking all day long; my favorite move so far

Memphis Ram

Legend
I thought Kendricks blocked far better in 2013 than he did in 2014. No matter how many snaps he played, I'm surprise the Rams payed that kind of money for him to return.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
4.5 Mil and 18 over 4 years. Absolutely horrible. Bayer and Harkey could have filled in for him just fine. The Rams had much more pressing needs with Britt, Barksdale (BU), the OL. Ridiculas signing.