LaMarcus Joyner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Joyner graded at a 5.24

Mathieu - Grade 73.0

Out of curiousity, why post these two draft grades when they're from different rating systems? NFL.com obviously changed their system and no context is given. People would look at this and get an unrealistic view of their draft grades. When you look at where they rank in their class I think Mathieu was 14th and Joyner was 17th.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Out of curiousity, why post these two draft grades when they're from different rating systems? NFL.com obviously changed their system and no context is given. People would look at this and get an unrealistic view of their draft grades. When you look at where they rank in their class I think Mathieu was 14th and Joyner was 17th.

Minus the drug charges / suspension methinks Mathieu would have been rated higher.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I want to say there was a reason they traded up for Joyner. They saw something in him enough that they didn't want someone else to take him. Hopefully he'll get better and our concerns will be alleviated.

But its not like they haven't been wrong on some picks before. Its possible he wasn't who they thought he was. Because so far, he is not looking like starter material. And I sometimes wonder if he deserves more plays than some guys behind him on the depth chart.

With E.J. done for the year we need someone to step up and it doesn't look like Joyner has taken advantage of the opportunity. Is it because he just doesn't have true NFL talent? Work ethic only gets you so far. Most guys know how to put in the work or they wouldn't have made it this far.

FrankenRam

Starter
It seems to me that there are many more people who write more assertively that these types of opinions are correct rather than acknowledging that a rookie year hasn't historically told us how a player's career takes shape.

I could be wrong about that. But that's how it seems to me.

You're not wrong. You're spot on. But didn't you get the memo. All it takes is a half hr of watching YouTube highlights and 20/50 hindsight to become a better talent evaluator than anyone currently being paid to be one. :rolleyes:

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I hope Joyner starts turning it on soon before he makes the All Pead team.;)

JRobinson

MiLB
You guys are really acting like we've never watched preseason before. I completely understand the fact that we watch these games and make our own assessments, but good heavens, can we let the young guys play a little bit before we start throwing in the towel on em'? Joyner hasn't even hardly played and he was a ROOKIE last season. Let him figure some things out and allow Fisher and Co. to shape and mold him into what he should become. A lot of you guys are so quick to write guys off and then get excited about an undrafted free agent that it's discouraging. I'm not pointing any fingers at anyone in particular because we have ALL done it. A little time and a little FAITH is all I'm askin for.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I remember a ton of people here saying Brian Quick was a bust and he's proving that analysis to be very wrong now.

I disagree. It is not a good policy to draft a guy in round 2 that will take 3 years to develop. That is too long and if he gets good in his contract year and the team doesn't want to break the bank to resign him then he bolts for another team. So, then the Rams used a second round pick to train a guy to play great for another team? Save your projects for rounds 5 and later. Round two especially should be a first year starter.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

What do you mean they changed their rating system?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree. It is not a good policy to draft a guy in round 2 that will take 3 years to develop. That is too long and if he gets good in his contract year and the team doesn't want to break the bank to resign him then he bolts for another team. So, then the Rams used a second round pick to train a guy to play great for another team? Save your projects for rounds 5 and later. Round two especially should be a first year starter.

It's good policy to hit on draft picks outside the first round, period. Was it bad policy for Green Bay to draft Jordy Nelson? It took him four years to develop.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I want to say there was a reason they traded up for Joyner. They saw something in him enough that they didn't want someone else to take him. Hopefully he'll get better and our concerns will be alleviated.

But its not like they haven't been wrong on some picks before. Its possible he wasn't who they thought he was. Because so far, he is not looking like starter material. And I sometimes wonder if he deserves more plays than some guys behind him on the depth chart.

With E.J. done for the year we need someone to step up and it doesn't look like Joyner has taken advantage of the opportunity. Is it because he just doesn't have true NFL talent? Work ethic only gets you so far. Most guys know how to put in the work or they wouldn't have made it this far.

Good point. I'm not sure how high the Rams had Joyner on their board. But, I remember Fisher being quoted that there was info that another team that drafted ahead of the Rams that had eyes on Joyner, so that was the reason for the trade up.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What do you mean they changed their rating system?

They were using different scales. Joyner wasn't a 5 compared to Mathieu's 73. The scales were different.

What jrry said, without an explination you're implying that Joyner's rating is 5 and on the same scale Mathieu is a 73. Joyner was a 5.2 the highest CB grade his year was a 6.3. Mathieu was a 73 the highest CB his year was a 93.2. Completely different scales and at first glance make Joyner look incredibly bad.

jjab360

Legend
A lot of people ragging on Joyner, he wasn't even that bad last year lol. Didn't allow a TD and was arguably the best run defending/blitzing CB on the team.

All of a sudden, he allows one preseason TD because his LBer screened him, and he's the next coming of Justin King/Tye Hill/Jerome Murphy/Cortland Finnegan in his last year. LOL.

Get a grip, people. Here's a video to remind you of the type of player Lamarcus Joyner is.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good point. I'm not sure how high the Rams had Joyner on their board. But, I remember Fisher being quoted that there was info that another team that drafted ahead of the Rams that had eyes on Joyner, so that was the reason for the trade up.

it was the titans.

as soon as the rams moved up and made the pick the titans moved down.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Shouldn't we expect our second round picks to out play our sixth round picks?

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Players develop at any pace, drafting has no measure on when a guy should preform and never has. This arbitrary measure that only we fans propagate only leads to our disappointment and is why none of us are GMs. There's a reason why no coach anywhere seems to share this players have to arrive at specific points in time to be worth it mentality.

There's a reason why the only consistency that consistently bad teams have is turnover and being bad. Because you can just keep expecting things to get done overnight, giving up and doing the whole thing over and over again and expecting a different result. If you never give anybody time to develop then nothing will ever happen for you. There's a reason why all the best teams are the teams that give their guys time to grow and learn rather than giving up on them immediately.

JRobinson

MiLB

Have you actually read this topic, or are you posting a reply just to post a reply? Suggestion: start at pg 1 and make your way to the latest response. You will find that everyone has an opinion, all valid mind you; and Hometown just explained it yet again.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
There's a reason why the only consistency that consistently bad teams have is turnover and being bad. Because you can just keep expecting things to get done overnight, giving up and doing the whole thing over and over again and expecting a different result. If you never give anybody time to develop then nothing will ever happen for you.
th

There's a reason why all the best teams are the teams that give their guys time to grow and learn rather than giving up on them immediately.
th

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Joyner will get a bunch of PT tonight, and I hope he steps up. Time to shine young man! I want to see this...

th

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Just so we're all clear...we all hope Joyner can become a player...but

Joyer not only lacks speed and size, he also doesn't have great footwork or technique....It results in easy completions, 3rd down conversions...the slot corner really needs a nice athlete with excellent technique /anticipation skills to be successful...Check the list of guys (wrs) that dominate in the slot...no wimps there...

He seems like a great guy....

Turn him into a coach, but keep him off the field.

I remember a ton of people here saying Brian Quick was a bust
Where? Show me, point them out!!!!