Kyren Williams wants to show more pass-game skills in 2024

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

Kyren Williams wants to show more pass-game skills in 2024​

After he didn’t receive much playing time as a rookie, Rams running back Kyren Williams had a clear breakout season in 2023.

Despite missing four games with an ankle injury, Williams finished the year with 1,144 yards rushing with 12 rushing touchdowns. He was a second-team All-Pro and Pro Bowler, having led the league with 95.3 yards rushing per game.

This offseason, the Rams doubled down on their ground game by selecting former Michigan running back Blake Corum in the third round of the draft. In an interview this week on the Rich Eisen Show, Williams expressed excitement to play with Corum — noting that the rookie running back’s presence may allow him to show more versatility.

“[J]ust picking off what I did last year, being able to create more explosives in the run game, and also being able to create more explosives in the pass game,” Williams said, via Cameron DaSilva of USA Today. “I’m super excited that we went to go draft Blake Corum, somebody who can run the ball very well and hopefully it allows me to get to the slot or allows me to just run routes out of the backfield so that I’m able to really showcase my skills that I have for this game.”

Williams did display an ability to catch passes last year, finishing with 32 receptions for 206 yards with three touchdowns. We’ll see if the Rams give him some chances to show what he can do outside of the backfield in the coming months.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
It's great to hear Kyren wants to be a bigger part of the passing game. Also, to note, the Rams doubled down by drafting Corum but they also subsidized the position by signing Boston Scott. He's adept at running the ball and receiving as well as return skills. Rivers is still around and we still can't be sure what we have in Zach Evans. He could be just a failed late round pick, he could develop into a depth player or something more. We just don't know. But in either case, our RB room is improved.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
we still can't be sure what we have in Zach Evans.
I am rooting for the guy, but RB’s typically don’t require development (outside of blocking assignments). It’s among the few positions guys typically reach starter status right away, if the running talent is there.

Zach has been pretty ho-hum in his chances, so far… and the Rams brought in more running backs that already have surpassed him on the depth chart. Not a good sign.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I am rooting for the guy, but RB’s typically don’t require development (outside of blocking assignments). It’s among the few positions guys typically reach starter status right away, if the running talent is there.

Zach has been pretty ho-hum in his chances, so far… and the Rams brought in more running backs that already have surpassed him on the depth chart. Not a good sign.
Zach going to the back, probably all the way back to the PS.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Re-signing Rivers and signing Boston Scott sure seems like they have little to no faith in Zach Evans. The small sample size I watched of him all I could think of was "Meh".

Tano

Legend
Re-signing Rivers and signing Boston Scott sure seems like they have little to no faith in Zach Evans. The small sample size I watched of him all I could think of was "Meh".
I know it is just pre-season but usually running backs show something in the preseason and Zack didn't show anything at all.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
He might just be a little slower in learning department. This offense requires a lot mentally. McVay doesn't like to put a guy in that struggles to know where to block. Got to know the details. If nothing this year then oh well.

jap

Legend
Any RB that enters the game has to have the ability to protect #9. Matthew goes down, and, even with solid backups, all Super Bowl dreams vanish. We need to give our field general all the help & protection he deserves.

Zach has hung around mostly because he is the only back on the roster with true breakaway speed. However, we have a couple receivers with Warp speed who can step up on razzle dazzle plays.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Any RB that enters the game has to have the ability to protect #9. Matthew goes down, and, even with solid backups, all Super Bowl dreams vanish. We need to give our field general all the help & protection he deserves.

Zach has hung around mostly because he is the only back on the roster with true breakaway speed. However, we have a couple receivers with Warp speed who can step up on razzle dazzle plays.
IMO - that is pretty far from wrong.I actually don’t understand WTF you are actually saying as far as The Rams roster. Tutu Atwell is the only Ram with warp speed that will make the 53.

If we’re talking Kyren Williams making plays out of the backfield,or blocking.He does it all.
Seeing him during training camp last season he looked good making plays past the CB(LBEr) with Free safety coming across the field.

I was actually surprised The Rams didn’t use those plays much,but it could have been like you said.Protecting #9 as being more important.
I’ll take Johna Williams over Shelton upfront all season long.
Plus Joesph Noteboom is such a luxury player in regards to keeping Matthew Stafford upright.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He might just be a little slower in learning department. This offense requires a lot mentally. McVay doesn't like to put a guy in that struggles to know where to block. Got to know the details. If nothing this year then oh well.
IMO it’s his running style.That’s why Blake Corum is going to be such a good fit.

I remember Henderson (cam Akers) deciding what gap to pick & thinking if they went through that other hole they could have taken it to the house. Last season the O’Line play was different & there were more holes.The way Kyren reads his blockers & timing is Top Notch.He sets up blocks as well.

The preseason is going to be BIG for Zach Evan’s if he wants to make the team.Ronnie Rivers is TOUGH for his size.He isn’t all that fast either.From what was said in OTA’s is Blake Corum was getting 1st team Reps.He also was picking up the Offense very quickly.

jap

Legend
IMO - that is pretty far from wrong.I actually don’t understand WTF you are actually saying as far as The Rams roster. Tutu Atwell is the only Ram with warp speed that will make the 53.
They have a rookie receiver, Jordan Whittington, who ran a 4.42 on his pro day workout who runs more like a RB than a WR. He is one of the hopefuls who might make a dramatic breakthrough.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame

In the latest "Behind the Grind" Evans is brought up and is said to have improved significantly in the off-season. So hopefully those of us who still have hope, get to see what we've been waiting for.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
They have a rookie receiver, Jordan Whittington, who ran a 4.42 on his pro day workout who runs more like a RB than a WR. He is one of the hopefuls who might make a dramatic breakthrough.
I don’t see it.Dude is going to be a special teams guy.He won’t have anymore catches than Ben Sko had.

He doesn’t resemble a RB at all IMO.He was the 3rd best WR on his Texas team.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
In the latest "Behind the Grind" Evans is brought up and is said to have improved significantly in the off-season. So hopefully those of us who still have hope, get to see what we've been waiting for.

Well that was OTA’s before the draft.Boston Scott was just getting settled in.He was given a chance to move up during OTA’s & in the end was LAST on the DEPTH CHART.

There is a reason he was drafted as late as he was.He’ll get his chance,but he is going to have a hard time making The Rams 53.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He might just be a little slower in learning department.
Certainly possible. He should get a ton of opportunity in preseason this year so we will have a good idea soon.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Well that was OTA’s before the draft.Boston Scott was just getting settled in.He was given a chance to move up during OTA’s & in the end was LAST on the DEPTH CHART.

There is a reason he was drafted as late as he was.He’ll get his chance,but he is going to have a hard time making The Rams 53.
No it wasnt. Blake Corum was in the vid as well practicing. There are also no OTA's before the draft. They had a veterans meeting on April 15th and then rookie minicamp may 10th- whenever. Then OTA's thr month after.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Needs to be more consistent catching the ball. I figured coming out that his strength would be the passing game, but he has been a very, very pleasant surprise as a runner. The passing-game skills are there (blocking, agility, route running, etc.). Needs to be more reliable.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Needs to be more consistent catching the ball. I figured coming out that his strength would be the passing game, but he has been a very, very pleasant surprise as a runner. The passing-game skills are there (blocking, agility, route running, etc.). Needs to be more reliable.

He got better in the second half of the season. Stafford was angry at him a couple of times early in the season, probably not where he was supposed to be. He dropped a couple of easy catches as well. One which probably lost the game for the Rams against the whiners.

Having said that the Rams offense was not the same when he wasn't on the field. He had the same effect as faulk and Gurley. Not saying he's as good as them, that would be crazy, but he's a very important piece of the offense.

Now the Rams have two of him. We hope.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
No it wasnt. Blake Corum was in the vid as well practicing. There are also no OTA's before the draft. They had a veterans meeting on April 15th and then rookie minicamp may 10th- whenever. Then OTA's thr month after.
April 1st teams start training.The 15th teams could meet with coaches?? CGI has the dates up top. The Rams had photos before the draft.
Yes of course all the players are in the room. It was a RB meeting after the draft.It you look closely I don’t think Blacke Corum was in the video. The guy with the Ram sweat hoodie was Boston.