Kyren Williams is the Rams punt returner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
You trust his judgement about special teams? They have been bad since he got here. He's an offensive genius, but there is room for criticism on his other decisions.
I think part of the poor special teams play is the bottom of the roster was not that good. There is a lot more depth this year, so I expect better play from special teams. Also the change in the kick off rules is making him pay more attention to special teams which will raise the overall level as well. Mostly I hope to see improvement in coverages more than anything. So I am excited to see what happens. Not sure I like Kyren returning punts, but 90% will be fair catches anyway so not sure there is reason to fret.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
McVay and Snead may be falling into that "we are smarter than everyone else" mindset they seem to get into sometimes.
Is the bolded bad?

I think the Rams are the 2nd or 3rd most successful team after the Chiefs since 2017. Maybe....they ARE smarter than everyone else?

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Is the bolded bad?

I think the Rams are the 2nd or 3rd most successful team after the Chiefs since 2017. Maybe....they ARE smarter than everyone else?
And maybe trading Jones was a mistake*, it's not like they don't make them just keep them to a minimum.

*I'm looking at redzone playcalling and giving out bad contracts typically!

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
And maybe trading Jones was a mistake*, it's not like they don't make them just keep them to a minimum.

*I'm looking at redzone playcalling and giving out bad contracts typically!
Oh, they make their fair share of mistakes. They usually clean them up pretty quickly too. Compare their mistakes to the 9ers. Even the Chiefs just admitted a mistake with Toney.

Everyone makes mistakes. The key is making fewer or less major ones than the other teams. I just agree with Whit that they've earned trust.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
A punt returner needs to be able to process quickly and have exceptional vision. KW will be lights out and help flip the field. I think this is a no-brainer in a McVay coached team.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The fake punt vs the Cardinals in 2019 is what sealed Bones fate. No communication to Sean at all and obviously he was pissed.

I think we have seen that McVay is a great coach and person but the second you do something out of line you’re gone.
I think it's more likely that if you are perceived to be endangering the culture he created, you are gone. If he was grousing about not starting due to a rookie, that would qualify,

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
A punt returner needs to be able to process quickly and have exceptional vision. KW will be lights out and help flip the field. I think this is a no-brainer in a McVay coached team.
I'm with you -- KW's vision is elite, so punt returns could finally be a strength here. Moreso even the kick returns: KW could KILL it here. I'm much more excited to see him at KR than PR.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Can somebody actually ask our Special Team Coach Chase Blackburn, why?

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
I'm with you -- KW's vision is elite, so punt returns could finally be a strength here. Moreso even the kick returns: KW could KILL it here. I'm much more excited to see him at KR than PR.
I’m just worried about wear and tear - but I guess we will ride with KW and Corum and split the carries

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
KW doing great on returns feels like projection to some extent, because he hasn't really done it at a high level yet in the NFL. I do think he is capable of being a good returner with his raw skills, and he seems like a smart dude. But there is some unknown with him.

What annoys me is that after so many years of shitty returns, and in a season in which the rules for returns were changed and they might really be a big factor for teams, that the Rams still need to go sign a fucking castoff from the Shitters. And btw that's a guy who was coached up to do it by SF. Not like I can recall him being a big returner juggernaut or anything.

Which keeps going back to our ST coach and how I wonder if at some point we'll actually see something from him that backs up McVay's bro love of his coaching ability. He reminds me of our RB coach who sucked ass and ended up leaving to be OC for the Panthers. Obviously McVay has a good eye for coaches but he's got some serious blind spots with RB and ST.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Things that make me go hmm...:thinking:

How can Corum and Rivers be good enough on offense to spell Williams on offense, but not good enough to simply take over punt return duties? Can they not catch punts? Does Rivers contribute on special teams at all?

Is TuTu Atwell's abilities on offense and no special teams impact greater than X. Smith potential contributions on special teams and on offense? Especially with Whittington, T. Johnson taking up the slack?

Now that Raheem is gone does McVay have anyone there to provide him with honest feedback?
Or did the newly released special teams coach try?

Oh well, McVay has forgotten more football than I'll know.

Just can't help but to wonder.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If Williams is still doing it after the 1st four games than I think I'll start to have feelings about this.