Kiper’s Mock Draft 3.0 Top 10 --Rams Pick Cooper

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
If Cooper is there, I really hope the Rams can get a package to move down with another team, possibly the Chiefs.
I understand there are a lot of lofty projections being pushed on the kid, a'la Torry Holt, but I just really do not feel another WR makes a big difference for this offense. Even if they only get like a 2nd and a 5th in return, I'd happily move back like 5-10 spots. It would ensure another shot at one of the top O-linemen, plus give them a shot at maybe a Jalen Strong or Devin Smith (if they feel that a WR is needed).

With the secondaries in this division, you aren't going to be winning games dropping back and passing all day. Dedicate some resources to getting the push up front first. I think Britt/Quick/Cook/Tavon/Stead have plenty of play making ability between them.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO Cooper is too good to pass up. We don't have a truly proven WR on this roster; it'd be different if Leonard Williams somehow fell to us at 10, although I wouldn't mind us drafting him either.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Getting Cooper, White, DGB, or Parker sure would be exciting. WR is just such a sexy pick!

But we may need a big ol slobbery galooga with snot and chaw all in his beard and a shirt that looks like it hasn't been changed in weeks even more.

FRO

Legend
Getting Cooper, White, DGB, or Parker sure would be exciting. WR is just such a sexy pick!

But we may need a big ol slobbery galooga with snot and chaw all in his beard and a shirt that looks like it hasn't been changed in weeks even more.
It's going to be so very hard to pass those guys up though.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It's going to be so very hard to pass those guys up though.

It really will be. FWIW - I get the sense that White and Cooper will be gone -which will take the sting out of it a bit.

FRO

Legend
It really will be. FWIW - I get the sense that White and Cooper will be gone -which will take the sting out of it a bit.
Part of me hopes they are so we can focus on the line. The other part of me wants one of the stud offensive players.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
With KC letting Bowe walk - I have to imagine that they are coming up - maybe it will be to us at 10 - but probably somewhere up the ladder.

If the Rams are inclined to go O Line come hell or high water - maybe a trade down wouldn't be the worst thing.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Who says that the team can't get both? Especially in this draft class.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Who says that the team can't get both? Especially in this draft class.

As you know - you are only going to get one top 10 player. The second rounder may end up being the best player in the draft - as may the UDFA, but when you are on the clock at 10 - you can't know what will be there a day later - so at some point you have to either prioritize a position or just rate, rank, and pick.

Memphis Ram

Legend
As you know - you are only going to get one top 10 player. The second rounder may end up being the best player in the draft - as may the UDFA, but when you are on the clock at 10 - you can't know what will be there a day later - so at some point you have to either prioritize a position or just rate, rank, and pick.

You can't know, but I'm sure teams have a group of players that fit their criteria in each round.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
You can't know, but I'm sure teams have a group of players that fit their criteria in each round.

Of course they do - but as the draft goes on they are choosing from prospects lower and lower on their draft boards. So you still end up making that choice at some point ....

Sometimes the choice is an easy one and sometimes not so easy. This year - it just doesn't seem like it's going to be so easy.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
With KC letting Bowe walk - I have to imagine that they are coming up - maybe it will be to us at 10 - but probably somewhere up the ladder.

If the Rams are inclined to go O Line come hell or high water - maybe a trade down wouldn't be the worst thing.

Trading down with KC scares me. I don't like their draft slot for the Rams. By passing on say a White, Cooper, Scherff or Collins at 10 and moving to 18 strips the talent we need. That leaves us looking at possibly an Ereck Flowers and maybe TJ Clemmings at 18. To me its not worth an extra 2nd. Take the top 10 talent. If we were moving to say 14 or 15 I am more open to trading back, but for our needs I don't think trading to 18 helps us much. 18 almost feels like a spot were our target might be gone and would need to trade back again to get full value. What I mean by that is the six guys I listed above could all be gone by 18, not likely but possible.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Trading down with KC scares me. I don't like their draft slot for the Rams. By passing on say a White, Cooper, Scherff or Collins at 10 and moving to 18 strips the talent we need. That leaves us looking at possibly an Ereck Flowers and maybe TJ Clemmings at 18. To me its not worth an extra 2nd. Take the top 10 talent. If we were moving to say 14 or 15 I am more open to trading back, but for our needs I don't think trading to 18 helps us much. 18 almost feels like a spot were our target might be gone and would need to trade back again to get full value. What I mean by that is the six guys I listed above could all be gone by 18, not likely but possible.

I would take Flowers or Clemmings plus a 2 over Scherff or Collins all day.

But it is scary to think about a possible run on O Line between 10 and 18.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I would take Flowers or Clemmings plus a 2 over Scherff or Collins all day.

But it is scary to think about a possible run on O Line between 10 and 18.

I like Flowers and Clemmings but really like Scherff and Collins. Im not a fan of trading away from players I want and I want Scherff or Collins. That is just a personal preference but my biggest fear is the potential of an Oline run from 10-18. I wouldn't trade back but Fisher and Snead like to gamble like they did with Ogletree. Sometimes you luck out and sometimes you get burnt.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
But you also have to think about that 2nd. (Or would it be a 2016 #1?)

That's a top 50 player. With 2 #2s, you could jump back into the first, or just stand pat and grab another starter.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mel Kiper Jr.'s latest mock sticks with Rams' receiver theme
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...s-latest-mock-sticks-with-rams-receiver-theme

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The ideal NFL draft choice is one where the team can find the perfect blend of value and need. It's a hard mix to find, but it can manifest on occasion.

It's harder to do when you don't have as many pressing needs as you once did. ESPN NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. released his third mock draft Insider Thursday, and his pick for the St. Louis Rams falls in line with what fellow analyst Todd McShay had in his latest mock.

With the 10th overall pick, Kiper Jr. sent Alabama wide receiver Amari Cooper to the Rams. That's the same choice McShay made, and an alteration from Kiper Jr., who sent Stanford tackle Andrus Peat to the Rams in his second mock draft.

It's important to note that Kiper Jr.'s mock drafts assume nothing in regard to free agency, so under his theory, the Rams don't have free agent Kenny Britt under contract. If that's the case, you could make a good argument that a receiver isn't just a want but a need. And really, you could make that argument anyway.

Though Britt proved solid and it would be wise for the Rams to bring him back, he doesn't offer the No. 1 upside that a player like Cooper does. What's more, Brian Quick is coming off a tough shoulder injury, and though the Rams are optimistic about his return, nothing is guaranteed and Quick is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent after the season.

As we've gone over in this space before, it's clear the offensive line and quarterback are more pressing needs. In Kiper Jr.'s latest mock, he does have Iowa offensive lineman Brandon Scherff available at No. 10 in this scenario. But it's widely thought that Cooper is one of the five or so best players in the draft, ahead of Scherff. For what it's worth, McShay ranks Cooper the third best prospect overall and Scherff at No. 8. Kiper Jr. has Cooper at No. 4 and Scherff at No. 8.

If that's the case and Cooper somehow manages to slip to No. 10, it's hard to argue against the Rams jumping at what would be a great value pick even if the need doesn't quite match the value. It also makes it hard to believe that Cooper will fall all the way to No. 10.

jjab360

Legend
We don't really need Cooper but if he falls to us at 10, just like Donald falling to 13 last year, we'd be stupid not to take him.

TexasRam

Legend
BPA I'm rd 1.

Can't reach for need.

So Cooper by all accounts would be the smart pick in that scenario.

And some would argue WR is a great need anyways.