Kent Sterling Latest

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil

Apologies. Not sure if this will work but Kent Sterling is admitting his words about Sam Bradford were poorly chosen

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Read it. He managed to write 3 paragraphs worth of justifications before finally admitting his "fault". Sum1, that emoticon is exactly the response I felt was appropriate.

V3

Hall of Fame
If that's what he meant to say then own it. If he believes that then why backtrack. The only reason to backtrack from something like that is if it was false.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Never ruin a perfectly good apology with an excuse.

And.......he did just that. That was as left handed an apology as he could have written.

Essentially he said "it's true, I just shouldn't have said it".

Name
JP
Never ruin a perfectly good apology with an excuse.

And.......he did just that. That was as left handed an apology as he could have written.

Essentially he said "it's true, I just shouldn't have said it".

He basically admits that he really has done no actual research or anything to support him. Just that he saw Sam sometime do something he didn't like and thats how he came to his conclusion.

bluecoconuts

Legend
My belief is that the way people behave toward others speaks to their character, and character defines an ability to lead.

Then your belief is wrong. He has no idea what leadership is about or different styles of it. You ask me if my old Platoon Sergeant gave a damn if we liked him or not, if we thought he was warm or not. He was the meanest coldest mother fucker I've ever met, but that man was by far the best leader I've ever witnessed. He knew exactly what he was doing. Hell look at Patton, his men hated serving under him, and he wanted it that way.

Idiot.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
All I see is...Andrew Luck talks to reporters more enthusiastically than Sam Bradford...therefore I like Luck better.

How someone talks to the media is a pretty lame way to judge a persons character.

Name
JP
All I see is...Andrew Luck talks to reporters more enthusiastically than Sam Bradford...therefore I like Luck better.

How someone talks to the media is a pretty lame way to judge a persons character.

It really is an embarrassment for Kent.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Any sports journalist worth his salt removes personal feelings when writing about an athlete. What he did was write a piece that had focus about Bradford being a dick. It's really low brow shit. And it's sure to get him some attention and possibly an interview at ESPN.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

But Luck practices like a champion. Bradford practices like a guy. What do I mean? I don't know. I don't even know what that means. But it sounds good so I'm going to say it.

Alan

Legend
V3 take on Kent's views:
If that's what he meant to say then own it. If he believes that then why backtrack. The only reason to backtrack from something like that is if it was false.
Unless you're under pressure from your boss. Or possibly your peers.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Any sports journalist worth his salt removes personal feelings when writing about an athlete. What he did was write a piece that had focus about Bradford being a dick. It's really low brow shyte. And it's sure to get him some attention and possibly an interview at ESPN.

Unless your name is Bernie.

Wait a minute,,, he ain't worth his salt or shit either.

PhxRam

Written on January 8, 2014 by kentsterling
by Kent Sterling

A few weeks ago, I said something during a podcast that I regret.

For years, I have warned hosts to not indulge in a relaxed conversation into a live microphone, and finally I violated my own wisdom.

The comparison between Sam Bradford and Andrew Luck is intriguing. Both were drafted #1 by teams who had hoped to find their leader for the next decade. In Luck, the Colts have hit paydirt. In Bradford, the Rams are still digging deeper and deeper hope that the mother lode is somewhere to be found.

I have watched both at workouts – to be honest despite spending two years in St. Louis with the Rams radio flagship, I have seen more of Luck at minicamps and summer camp.

Luck practices like a guy who wants to be a champion, and Bradford, in the times I have watched him, practiced like a guy. In the community and media, Luck is incredibly gracious and welcoming. Bradford, again in my experience, is comparatively aloof.

Different strokes for different folks. That doesn’t make luck a bad guy, or even necessarily a bad quarterback.

My few times witnessing Bradford’s behavior to people close to the team – not a friendly guy. Again – people are built differently.

Luck responds to every question like he cares that his answer matters to someone.

My belief is that the way people behave toward others speaks to their character, and character defines an ability to lead.

Not sure anyone could or would choose to argue with any of that, but when at the end of my comparison, which included a couple of anecdotes, I said, “He’s a turd of a guy,” I crossed a line. It was not only impolitic, but represented a belief that was not as well researched as a declaration meant for public consumption should be.

I have never played with, played against, or even met Bradford. My tactless conclusion about Bradford was the kind of thing a couple of guys might share over beers, and every once in awhile those conversations leak into a live microphone.

In Bradford’s vernacular, this was pick six. The intent was to provide a unique perspective based upon watching both players closely – in and out of games. Even if the read was correct, the delivery was ill-considered.

http://kentsterling.com/2014/01/08/...ord-should-have-been-chosen-more-judiciously/

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I found that article interesting.

Sterling said he never met Bradford, but he has witnessed Bradford's behavior with others.

You can take this a couple of ways.

We don't know if this guy has a grudge on Sam for some unrevealed reason.

If we assume that he doesn't, then his observations are a valid data point.

I'm willing to concede that Bradford is an aloof snob. Bernie has said as much and now there is another data point. Plus, I remember his team mate at OU, Gerald McCoy, calling Bradford "King Sam" before the draft in 2010. Sam didn't look happy about that. You could interpret that as McCoy saying Sam was royalty at OU and not one of the guys.

I'm not really sure what negative impact that has on his performance or ability to be a leader to his teammates.

Clearly, Sam is low key in his demeanor. He's not a rah-rah guy and doesn't play a lot with the media. But he's there supporting his teammates, like Clemens, through his ACL surgery. My belief is that Bradford is a pretty conservative straight laced guy. And I wonder if there were guys like Sterling who observed Roger Staubach, another straight laced guy and I wonder what they said. Nah, no I don't.

I think this is all a non issue. I believe football is very important to Sam, he said after his ACL injury that all he has is football, and I have no reason not to believe him. I expect him to work his ass off to get healthy quickly. As a team captain, I expect him to be a leader on this team. We will find out soon enough if he is good enough as a leader and QB to win. We get to see what Bradford does this year, regardless of whether he's a turd to Sterling's buddies or not, and that's all that matters.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Wait so he says Sam is not friendly and completely aloof in his experience, but he's never met the guy?

WTF to that.