Kam Chancellor Ends Holdout

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The shecocks apparently didn't cave at all and Kam will be out some serious mula for his holdout. LOL

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
whatever.gif

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He said this in a text to SASmith......

"Ima go help my teammates that are understanding of my position and the ones who aren't," Chancellor said in a text message to Smith. "God forgives all, why can't i? Time to help us get back to the big dance. I can address business after the season. Me and Marshawn started a mission 2 years ago. I can't let my Dawg down....Real talk."

If I was in that locker room I'd have a few words for him. That shows me he really didn't care about the team, only himself. The reason he came back is because they told him and his agent awhile ago they weren't going to cave and would play the season without him. Once a couple of game checks worth about 550K didn't come in the mail he figured he better get back to sticking to the cotract he just signed.

I applaud the Seahawks front office for holding their ground and now I am going to go scrub my hands down with soap and disinfectant for typing that.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
The shecocks apparently didn't cave at all and Kam will be out some serious mula for his holdout. LOL

Yeah, he puts his tail between his legs and decides to "forgive his Seahawk buds who support his cause as well as those who don't" What ??? Really ??? I guess they'll all be able to sleep tonight now that they have his forgiveness...What a narcissistic asshole...Of course he'll revisit his contract situation after the season...You blinked, Kam...Give it up...

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Yeesh. I hate the Seahawks, but I think they as a team played this situation exactly right. Chancellor comes across as a selfish prick with no regard for his team, his teammates or his fans. I hope he comes back and sucks.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He said this in a text to SASmith......

"Ima go help my teammates that are understanding of my position and the ones who aren't," Chancellor said in a text message to Smith. "God forgives all, why can't i? Time to help us get back to the big dance. I can address business after the season. Me and Marshawn started a mission 2 years ago. I can't let my Dawg down....Real talk."

If I was in that locker room I'd have a few words for him. That shows me he really didn't care about the team, only himself. The reason he came back is because they told him and his agent awhile ago they weren't going to cave and would play the season without him. Once a couple of game checks worth about 550K didn't come in the mail he figured he better get back to sticking to the cotract he just signed.

I applaud the Seahawks front office for holding their ground and now I am going to go scrub my hands down with soap and disinfectant for typing that.
Yeah, sucks to say that, but 99% of the time I'm on management's side when these players (who, with an agent, negotiated and signed a contract) decide, "Meh, I want more now because I played well." Hey, dipshit, that's your JOB.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
What a dumb guy. Nothing does my heart better to see guys who hold out come back with their tail between their legs and not a penny richer. There's very few instances of hold outs where I would agree with the player, and this definitely isn't one of them.

Chancellor was just being a selfish prick with no thought towards his teammates, even if they all are garbage as well I'd have something to say to him when he got back into the locker room, especially since there's already so much pondering on how the hell the Hags are going to keep their nucleus together in the first place.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah, sucks to say that, but 99% of the time I'm on management's side when these players (who, with an agent, negotiated and signed a contract) decide, "Meh, I want more now because I played well." Hey, dipshit, that's your JOB.

Yeah same here......if it was a bad contract, or oner that he had played all but a year or two of then fine re-do the deal. But holding out after two years on a five year deal is an act that can only be classified as selfish and if I was in the locker room I'd tell him "dude you should have been all in and held out or you should have shown up and played while you tried to get the deal redone, you did ZERO for yourself or the team so don't try to make it look like you are coming back to help now. Take your lumps and be quiet."

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
if I was in the locker room I'd tell him "dude you should have been all in and held out or you should have shown up and played while you tried to get the deal redone, you did ZERO for yourself or the team so don't try to make it look like you are coming back to help now. Take your lumps and be quiet."
That's more than I would have said.
"Sup dick. Glad you could drag your ass into work."

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That's more than I would have said.
"Sup dick. Glad you could drag your ass into work."

LOL if I was a reporter I would be all over him with "Hey Kam, so which of your team mates do you think were unsupportive of you? You mentioned that some were and some weren't ........care to clarify?"

I'm serious I would ask........ :ROFLMAO:

In fact why don't you guys who have twitter accounts go hit him up with that question..........I'd LOVE to see the response.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I get the whole no loyalty in either direction thing but you sign contracts based on what you've done and what you are worth at the time and what you and the team believe you will be worth to them in the future. Think you are all that? Sign a shorter contract or give up some security for incentives.

But being that this is a team game, how much of Cam's success was due to those team mates he left hanging while he told them that without him there is no Legion of Boom (puke)? Think the other guys doing their jobs had anything to do with him being able to excel at his?

I'm all for making as much money as you can in a sport where every game can be your last. But holding out because others on your team got theirs right after you signed a long term deal with guaranteed money is just selfish. And if you are going to be selfish, own up.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He gambled and loss.

But, ummm, saying that he forgives the organization is a little mental. To many hits to the head.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/09/23/seattle-seahawks-0-2-start-jimmy-graham-offensive-line

Kam Chancellor Returns, But One Big Problem Remains

The good news is that Kam Chancellor is reportedly coming back and the schedule is about to get softer. But there are still major issues for 0-2 Seattle, namely a porous offensive line that is limiting the franchise quarterback and a certain prized offseason addition. The Seahawks aren’t worried, but should they be?

by Robert Klemko

seahawks-lambeau.jpg

Maddie Meyer/Getty Images

GREEN BAY, Wis. — The trouble with accepting the adoration that comes with success is that you’re also held accountable when there are failures. And yet Seahawks flag-bearers Michael Bennett, Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman are handling that duty with aplomb.

After a 27-17 loss in the NFC title game rematch, Bennett held court at his locker while teammates filed onto buses, equating the suggestion that Seattle’s 0-2 start had materially diminished their playoff hopes to “propaganda.” Safety Earl Thomas said of teammate Kam Chancellor, still holding out for a new contract at the time: “I try not to deal with that energy.”

And now they won’t have to deal with that energy. Chancellor reportedly ended his holdout on Wednesday. His return to the lineup will go a long way towards shoring up a defense that during his two-week absence has given up 713 yards and failed to produce an interception. With a smooth reintegration into the locker room, images of Packers backup James Starks tearing up the hashmarks through Chancellor’s would-be wheelhouse should soon be forgotten.

“You can definitely feel the presence of a player like that when you’re on the field,” Packers guard Josh Sitton told The MMQB after the game. “They’ve got the hard-hitting reputation, and he’s the identity of that defense.”

Cornerback Richard Sherman told The MMQB on Sunday night: “We’ll find it. At this point it’s about correcting mistakes and getting back into rhythm. We’re not really worried; we’ve been here before.”

That was the overwhelming sentiment among players, that Seattle’s problems were not a lack of talent, but a lack of chemistry with some new and emerging players that could be corrected quickly. Strong safety DeShawn Shead replaced Dion Bailey, the starter in the Week 1 loss at St. Louis, as Chancellor’s stand-in. Offensively, tight end Jimmy Graham was playing his second game with the Seahawks, Justin Britt was starting his second game since switching to guard, and center Drew Nowak was starting his second game, period.

“There are a lot of first-time guys out there,” said linebacker Bobby Wagner. “We’re hurting ourselves more than anything. We always have moments like this where everybody questions our team, and we always show them.”

It’s true. Seattle has been down before. They started 3-3 last season and still reached the Super Bowl. But in the previous five seasons under Pete Carroll, the Seahawks started 0-2 just one other time: 2011, ultimately a 7-9 campaign and the only time they’ve missed the playoffs during Carroll’s tenure. And since the 1990 playoff expansion, only 11.7% of teams that started 0-2 have made the postseason.

Yet none of those 0-2 teams had been to the previous two Super Bowls, and very few had one of the highest-paid quarterbacks in football, much less a defense including All-Pro talents like Wagner, Sherman, Thomas and Chancellor.

The Seahawks aren’t worried. But maybe they should be. Take the team’s biggest offseason acquisition, Jimmy Graham. When he was with the Saints, Graham once fought to be subject to the wide receiver franchise tag rather than the lower tight end number. After all, he argued, in 2013 he had put his hand in the dirt on only 33% of his snaps—and he reeled in 1,215 yards and 16 touchdowns that year.

Fast forward to Sunday night. Graham lined up from a traditional, hand-in-the-dirt tight end position on 28 snaps. He lined up in the slot, his comfort zone, only 12 times. On one critical third-and-10 play in the third quarter, Graham found himself blocking an outside linebacker while the tackle and guard double-teamed an interior pass rusher. Wilson overthrew Doug Baldwin on the play.

After the game Graham ducked out of the locker room and brushed off a reporter mining for info—and vocal frustration—from him and his 45 visibly frustrated teammates. But in another room, Carroll lamented Graham’s disappearance (one catch, 11 yards) as a collective failure of the offense, and especially disappointing after his six catches in Week 1.

“It’s frustrating,” he said. “We have to find a way to get that done.”

The root of the problem is not Graham, or Russell Wilson, who targeted Graham just twice, or even (as Marshawn Lynch’s mom might have you believe) offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell. To see what’s going wrong, look no further than the second play of Seattle’s first offensive possession.

The Seahawks aligned in an I-formation. Lynch, behind fullback Derrick Coleman, looked at a promising defensive front for a lead run off the left guard. The Packers presented two down linemen: Mike Daniels over the outside shoulder of right guard J.R. Sweezy, and B.J. Raji on the left shoulder of Nowak, staring down the new starting center.

Across from the rest of the Seahawks’ left side, OLB Mike Neal lined up wide, and safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix came down to the box alongside ILB Clay Matthews. The call worked splendidly for Seattle, with one exception: Raji blew up Nowak. Lynch was swallowed up for a two-yard loss.

Poor interior line play negates what the quarterback can do from the pocket, which creates the necessity for play-action passing and read-option running, which puts the quarterback on the move and reins in seam-busting tight ends, relegating them to roles like Graham served on Sunday: chipping Julius Peppers and leaking into the flat as a last-resort receiving option.

seahawks-play-lambeau.jpg

This play looked good pre-snap, but went bad fast. (Courtesy NFL Game Pass)

New Orleans knows these things. In exchange for Graham and a fourth-round pick, they netted a first-round selection as well as Seattle’s best offensive lineman: Pro Bowl center Max Unger. The price may not have seemed particularly steep for the Seahawks, especially since they were reportedly going to part ways with Unger anyway.

But, two games into the season at least, the issue seems to be the insistence on plugging Nowak, a former defensive tackle and Jaguars castoff who spent last season on Seattle’s practice squad, into that spot rather than using the draft or free agency to find a new pivot, or indeed to address any of the needs on the O-line.

Meanwhile, Raji experienced a career revival in one evening. The nosetackle, who missed the 2014 season with a torn biceps, made two tackles for loss and was easily the biggest reason Lynch gained just 41 yards on 15 carries.

Said Packers coach Mike McCarthy: “It’s one of his best or was his best football game as a Green Bay Packer, in my opinion.”

The rest of the Seahawks offensive line didn’t fare much better in the run-blocking arena, with the Packers collecting seven tackles for loss in all.

The Seahawks have locked up a dozen stud contributors to long-term deals over the past three years but none of them on the offensive line. According to spotrac.com, the team is dedicating $12.7 million, or 8.58% of its 2015 cap, to the offensive line, less than all but three other teams. The bulk of that is Russell Okung’s $7.2 million cap hit in the final year of what now looks like an exorbitant rookie contract. Okung was Schneider’s first draft pick, in 2010, the last year before the rookie wage scale went in.

Since then, Schneider’s draft classes have included 10 offensive linemen in five drafts; in the last four years Seattle has taken only one in the first three rounds (Britt, a 2014 second-rounder). Meanwhile, right tackle Breno Giacomini, a three-year starter, signed with the Jets after the 2013 season. Unger, a two-time Pro Bowler during his six seasons in Seattle, is now in New Orleans. James Carpenter, the only other offensive lineman Schneider ever drafted in the first round (25th overall in 2011), joined Giacomini in New York after a disappointing four years in Seattle.

John Moffitt, a third-round pick in ’11, lasted only two seasons before spending a year in Denver then opting for early retirement. So offensive line coach Tom Cable is left to try to work miracles with players like Nowak; right guard Sweezy, another converted defensive tackle taken in the seventh round of the ’12 draft; and first-year starting right tackle Garry Gilliam, a 2014 undrafted free agent out of Penn State whose claim to fame is catching a fake-field-goal TD in last year’s NFC title game.

Is there a remedy in sight? Nowak won a training camp battle with Lemuel Jeanpierre, who was released at the end of August. Nowak’s current backup, Patrick Lewis, has some experience (four starts in spot duty when Unger was injured a year ago). But, unlike Bailey in the secondary, Nowak was not benched despite a poor performance in St. Louis to open the season. That suggests that Carroll and Cable feel he’s the best option they’ve got.

Veteran Alvin Bailey filled in when injuries struck the last two seasons but is unlikely to provide any kind of upgrade. Seattle spent two fourth-round picks on offensive lineman in May; Mark Glowinski could be ready later in the season, and Terry Poole is on the practice squad. And who knows? Nowak could develop into a quality starter with more reps in the offense.

But for now the offensive line’s failures are hampering the effectiveness of the franchise quarterback, the all-world running back, and the tight end who was Schneider’s biggest and boldest offseason acquisition as a GM. There is plenty of time to turn it around, but as they walked off Lambeau Field on Sunday night one thing seemed clear: The Seahawks weren’t prepared for this.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
So, what's the over/under for Chancellor getting injured?

These guys who hold out forget about Football readiness.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Great player...but a pussy to cave in....His leverage just got stronger after the last loss....I was expecting the, " I can't feed my family on $280,000 every two weeks..." rant.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Yeah. I read and watched some of the things he said. He's pretty much a dick. It was all kind of "I forgive the seahawks for me having to do that holdout" and "there is no legion of boom with out me" and "the losses were hard to watch but I'm here now so we are gonna be alright."

Geez, he's a real piece of work.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Guessing splitting the atom wasn't working out for him so it's back to what he signed a contract to do.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I realize I stand alone on this and I'm a big conspiracy theory guy anyway, but I think Kam signed his deal at a respectable but team friendly rate because he wanted to keep the tem together. Then Marshawn holds out, and Sherman Chancelor and the midget all get fat deals predicated at being the highest paid at their position.
Kam looks around and says "WTF" happened to this team concept and team friendly deals? I screwed myself.
Just my theory but I imagine it happened something like that (at least in my mind) :bueller: