Justin Tucker’s Quest for the 70-Yard Field Goal

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Greg Zuerlein also has the leg to do this. He's hit on 61 and 60 yards already. The longest field goal made was 64 yards by Matt Prater of the Denver Broncos. The longest field goal attempt in an NFL game was 76 yards by Sebastian Janikowski.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_goal#Longest_field_goal_records

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO5P3Yfo0mU

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/8/22/16182552/justin-tucker-baltimore-ravens-70-yard-field-goal

Justin Tucker’s Quest for the 70-Yard Field Goal
The Baltimore Ravens kicker is already the most accurate kicker in NFL history, and now he wants to shatter the distance record. He can do it. Just let him tell you.
BY KEVIN CLARK

There’s no scenario where you’re going to line up and do it.”

This is Sam Koch, the Baltimore Ravens’ holder and punter, talking about kicking the longest field goal ever.

The game situation would have to be exactly right: about a second left in the fourth quarter with the score within three or at the end of a half, when it’s the only option. The temperature would have to be warm—probably above 80 degrees. And even if the weather and the timing converged, coaches would favor a Hail Mary because at least those have succeeded.

If you missed the kick, you’d also likely have to defend against a long return; Ravens long-snapper Morgan Cox brought up the specter of Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown out there with a bunch of blockers ready to return the kick. To make it even close to worth the risk, Cox said, you’d have to know that your kicker would put the ball into the stands no matter what.

“However,” Koch said after he and Cox listed the myriad reasons this sort of kick would never happen. “I have no doubt Justin would go out there and make the kick.”

Justin Tucker is the most accurate kicker in NFL history, and Justin Tucker can kick the longest field goal in NFL history. The former is a fact, and the latter is also treated as such among the Ravens, friends of Tucker, and Tucker himself. The longest field goal in history came in 2013 when Denver’s Matt Prater kicked it 64 yards in the thin Colorado air.

Overall, 127 field goal attempts have come from 60 yards and beyond; only 16 were successful. Just 25 kicks have been attempted from 65 and beyond, and the historical success rate is zero. The longest kick ever attempted was a 76-yarder from Sebastian Janikowski in a 2008 game against the San Diego Chargers that fell ludicrously short.

For about a hundred years “field goal” range has typically meant “within about 40 yards of the end zone.” If a player showed a 70-yarder were possible in a game, it would change football. It would be the kind of game-planning checkmate coaches dream of.

“I think it definitely gives us an advantage when we’re planning going into the game,” Tucker said. “When we’re into the game and adrenaline is pumping to get in range for a end-of-half or end-of-game field goal, we know we have—I’d like to think we have—a better chance than anyone else that we can kick the ball from wherever.”

The 70-yard mark is the Hyperloop of football; it may seem like it will never happen, but one guy is really sure it could happen if everything broke right.

“Here’s the thing: As soon as I tell anyone I can hit from 74, 75, 80, I’m not saying it to blow smoke; I’m saying it because I can do it,” Tucker said. “I’ve hit from 79 in practice, my best guess is I can hit an 84-yarder in Denver.”

The 27-year-old has made 89.8 percent of his kicks in his five NFL seasons. He is universally considered the best kicker in the NFL and has hit from as far as 61 yards in a regular-season game. His Ravens special teams outfit is considered one of the best in the NFL. Last weekend in a preseason game he begged the coaching staff to attempt a 72-yarder.

Ever since he hit a 67-yarder in college, Tucker has entertained the possibility of using these kicks to win games—and he continuously stressed that his desire to kick from long range is rooted in a desire to help his team win. The Ravens practice these kicks with one of the most efficient position groups in football—dubbed “The Wolfpack” after the group of friends from the Hangover movies.

“I don’t care about the record,” said the Ravens’ special teams coordinator, Jerry Rosburg. “But if we have to make a field goal that’s going to win us the game and it happens to be 65 yards, I’m all for it. We’ll take a long field goal if we need it to win—we’re not going to line up and kick a 70-yard field goal because we think it’s cool.”

Rosburg said he “loves the purpose behind practicing extraordinarily long field goals.” You have to practice 70-yard field goals because it’s the only way to see all of the effects of a kick. If you only practice 40-yarders, Rosburg explains, they hit the net and you never learn a whole lot. How much did the weather help or hurt the kick? How does the ball finish its flight path? How did the ball track in the air?

Tucker’s warm-up involves “backing up until the ball doesn’t go through,” he said. He does this to gather information on what is possible given the wind, weather, and humidity. Tucker said he kicks about 15-20 balls in warm-ups per practice, 10-15 in full-team reps, and with coaches supervising kicks, another 20 or 30 to get coaching from Rosburg and his staff.

Since 70-yard attempts are so rare—there have been only six in history—there’s not a lot of research on how to go about them. That’s what makes Tucker’s trial-and-error operation so fascinating. By practicing them at all, he learned something: There is not a tremendous amount of difference between the longest field goal ever and any other kick.

When quarterbacks reach back for a Hail Mary, they exert all their energy. When a basketball player heaves a half-court shot, he changes the arc. Tucker says any changes for a 70-yarder are minute. For all kicks, the first 6 to 8 yards of the process is the exact same. Cox will snap the ball 8 yards deep to Koch, who holds it in the same way he’d always hold it.

“There’s no difference than if he were trying to hit a 2-yard-line old PAT,” Koch said.

Tucker said he knows for a fact it is the same setup from 79 yards. How? “I know because I’ve done it.”

In the same way NASA waits for perfect launch conditions, Tucker thinks about kicking these field goals in the ideal atmosphere.

“You start with the temperature—it’s got to be a warmer day. It’s physics. The ball is more elastic when it’s warmer and therefore travels further. You have to have good footing. I’d prefer just a freshly cut grass field,” Tucker said.

He adds that there’s a thin line between overscrutinizing a kick and going into a kick with no information. He will kick the same kick over and over, take a mental note of the temperature, ball flight, wind, etc., and then recall it all the next time he’s in that scenario.

“I try to be realistic,” he said. He points to the practice field and mentions that it’s near-maximum humidity and 80 degrees. “The ball is not going to go as far today as it would in Denver in September and it’s 85 degrees on a nice, well-maintained field.”

Adrenaline is good for a few yards on a given kick, he said, and so the added motivation behind hitting a fourth-quarter game winner would help, rather than hurt. “You’ve gathered all the data but you have to assume there’s a little bit of an adrenaline rush,” Tucker said. “A couple of kicks at the end of the game I’ve had, those have been my best kicks. If there wasn’t a net there they’d have left the stadium.”

It is clear, after a few minutes of talking, that Tucker thinks a lot about what it would take to kick a field goal like this. He’s not alone in his obsessiveness: Koch and Cox are so detailed-oriented that they’ve consulted the Navy on how to best monitor wind.

Would wind help? “I would say yes,” Tucker added. “If we’re going to try to drop bombs from 65-, 70-plus, it would be nice to have a little tail wind.”

Koch had a different view: “The wind would need to be blowing about 50 miles per hour” for an attempt to be realistic in a game.

Although the ball is going to travel 70 yards in the air, everything comes down to the final step with the plant foot.

Doug Blevins, a kicking expert who started coaching Tucker when he was in high school, said that for a right-footed kicker, the key is almost entirely in the last step with the left foot before the kick. Blevins refers to this as a power-drive step. On a long kick, it is human nature to make these steps longer in order to generate power, but that doesn’t help.

“If you elongate the step at all, you end up yanking your body around,” Blevins said. He added that even the slightest overturning of the body would send a record-long field goal attempt dramatically off course. A miscalculation of this sort on a PAT would send the ball a few feet off course; on a long kick, it would send it comically wide.

Tucker also said that the last step would be where the only change would occur.

“The only thing that changes is I might just jump into the ball a little bit more, to put a little more extra mustard on it, but I prefer to keep everything consistent from one kick to the next,” Tucker said. “I’d probably be a little bit more aggressive.”

Rosburg said you would need slightly more hip rotation to generate the power, but not much else would change.

Tucker has a fast leg. Blevins compares it to a baseball pitcher with the natural ability to throw hard who can then marry natural talent with technique and refinement.

“His leg speed was given to him by God,” Blevins said. “Over the years he learned to kick with his body weight as opposed to kicking it only with the leg. Then you pair that with the flexibility he has and he can kick the ball a mile.”

Blevins said Tucker has a shot to break the record: It would need to be in a dry climate and elevation would help, and he would have to not “overkick” and be consistent. That, Blevins said, is Tucker’s trademark. When he shows younger kickers film of Tucker, he’s amazed at how every kick looks the exact same. “There is no deviation. It is all perfect muscle memory.”

When Tucker saw Adam Vinatieri’s Super Bowl–winning kicks over a decade ago, he had a realization. “That would be amazing if that was me one day,” he said. “And I made the decision that it had to be me.” In fact, Blevins, who has coached Vinatieri, said the two are nearly identical on film.

Since the balls are harder and less broken-in today, Blevins said that kicking is more difficult than ever before. In that context, he thinks Tucker’s rewriting of the accuracy record books is even more impressive than it’s made out to be.

“I think Justin has a good grasp on history,” Blevins said. “He wants to be the best kicker that ever played. He keeps that in perspective: He can be, and he believes he can be, and I think he’s on his way.”

Confidence, Koch said, is crucial for a kicker, and his team loves Tucker for it. Cox believes Tucker when he talks about how far he can kick.

“But we have to be realistic and approach it like a coach would,” Koch said, “and they’d go for the Hail Mary.”

So yes, two-thirds of the Wolfpack thinks the record-shattering kicks might be Tucker’s pipe dream that coaches will never let him try. Tucker said he’s OK with that. He’ll settle for hitting the crossbar pregame from 85 in Denver, or backing up to into the 70s and nailing one on a practice field.

“I encourage you to put this in there: At the end of the day, I care about making kicks, helping my team win. I don’t care where we hit them from,” Tucker said.

Of course, he continues.

“But I do think the possibility gives us an advantage.”

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
hmmmm.....I'd like to see him try...right before halftime....where would he line up? Around the 40 for a 70 yarder?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
hmmmm.....I'd like to see him try...right before halftime....where would he line up? Around the 40 for a 70 yarder?

17 yards is added on from the line of scrimmage so it would be from the 47 yard line of the team kicking.

jap

Legend
I believe Greg the Leg has done a 70- or 71-yarder in collegiate practice already.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
17 yards is added on from the line of scrimmage so it would be from the 47 yard line of the team kicking.

Judging from your math I'm guessing you are from Cali? :p

For a 70 yarder the kick would be from the 53 lol. That's just crazy yeah. And I'd love to see GZ be the guy to do it, too. Would take a perfect situation where the clock is going to expire, but hey never know it could come up.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Judging from your math I'm guessing you are from Cali? :p

For a 70 yarder the kick would be from the 53 lol. That's just crazy yeah. And I'd love to see GZ be the guy to do it, too. Would take a perfect situation where the clock is going to expire, but hey never know it could come up.

Once mid-field is crossed it becomes the 47 of the kicking team. Last time I checked there was no 53 yard line. But I get your point. :)

1200px-AmFBfield.svg.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Once mid-field is crossed it becomes the 47 of the kicking team. Last time I checked there was no 53 yard line. But I get your point. :)

1200px-AmFBfield.svg.png

Boy I stepped in it dint I. <California school system.

No more morning posts before my first coffee either, sigh. Gonna get on the phone now with Mad Mike and get some tips chat later.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Boy I stepped in it dint I. <California school system.

No more morning posts before my first coffee either, sigh. Gonna get on the phone now with Mad Mike and get some tips chat later.

Nah, it's merely semantics. 53 or 47 - the point is that's a looonnng field goal.

Btw San Jose State(CA) and DeAnza(CA) alumni. But living here in Hicksville, USA for over 20 years has definitely shaved some IQ points from my brain. :)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I believe Greg the Leg has done a 70- or 71-yarder in collegiate practice already.

@Mackeyser and I watched him crushing some in pre game warmups a few years back. He posted the video online. They were from a holding device but not a kicking tee IIRC. There were a few that would have been good from 70.

For a 70 yarder the kick would be from the 53 lol.

Are you Canadian Merlin HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The article says only 16 attempts over 60 yards have been converted. Doesn't GZ have 3?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
id love to see him get a fair catch free kick attempt from that long. would make it a bit easier to make sense theres no pass rush

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
70 yards? Janikowski's longest in-game was 63 yds. Wouldn't be surprised though if someone breaks that in the near future. Hopefully it's our Zuerlein

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Zuerlein attempted a 66 yarder in Miami back in 2012 that missed wide, but it had all kinds of leg behind it.
No doubt in my mind that he could *reach* 70. The question is, can he keep it straight.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
70 yards? Janikowski's longest in-game was 63 yds. Wouldn't be surprised though if someone breaks that in the near future. Hopefully it's our Zuerlein
Matt Prater hit from 64 in 2013.
Now, he can't hit an extra point.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Zuerlein attempted a 66 yarder in Miami back in 2012 that missed wide, but it had all kinds of leg behind it.
No doubt in my mind that he could *reach* 70. The question is, can he keep it straight.

For sure.

Here is the vid from 2012 Rams at Bucs. From the first kick he was simply crushing them. In fact the first kick is essentially a 45 yard FG and when it crosses over the ball is actually above the uprights, it would have been good from 65. The second one he backs up two yards and does the same thing.

The third one was a booming kick, I've never seen anything like it. A 52 yarder and it also was over the top of the uprights!!! From 70 he would have cleared the crossbar I have no doubt about it.

@Mackeyser will tell you this.........when he made contact with the ball it sounded different than when the other guy did. The "thud" was a deeper louder sound.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/24/t...n-tucker-kicker-morten-andersen-opera-singing

Talking Football with Justin Tucker: It's Not Over Until the Kicker Sings
After a near-perfect 2016 season, Ravens kicker Justin Tucker is at the top of his game, and chasing perfection in 2017. Tucker talks about his favorite kicks, finding inspiration from Morten Andersen, and his passion for singing opera
KALYN KAHLER

justintucker_mmqb.gif

PATRICK SMITH/GETTY IMAGES

OWINGS MILLS, Md. — While his teammates practiced on the secluded fields behind the Ravens’ castle-like headquarters, Justin Tucker got in his reps 22 miles away at Baltimore’s M&T Bank Stadium. The first preseason game was on the horizon, and the kicker wanted to practice in game-like conditions. Tucker had a ridiculously automatic 2016 season, putting together one of the most efficient seasons at any position.

Tucker went 38-for-39, with a blocked field goal as his only miss. He also tied the NFL single-season record by connecting on 10 field goals from 50 yards or more. After he returned from his stadium reps after a recent training camp practice, Tucker, still buzzing with energy, sat down to talk to The MMQB about his plans for 2016, finding inspiration from Morten Andersen and his passion for singing opera.

KALYN KAHLER: You had one of the best seasons for a kicker last year. How will you top that this season?

JUSTIN TUCKER: In years past I have always made it a point to say to myself, or when somebody asks me publicly, that I want to make all of my kicks. I think more practically, I want to just kick the ball well and I want to win games.

There is a lot of stuff that happens in between the lines that not a lot of people know about, like what happens out here on the practice field, what happens in my own film study, what [longsnapper] Morgan [Cox], [punter/holder] Sam [Koch] I are all able to do collectively, both on and off the field—it all contributes to the ball coming off my foot well. I think that is what my primary focus is, continuing to hit the ball well.

KAHLER: Do you have a favorite from last season?

TUCKER: If I had to pick a favorite, it would probably be the 52-yarder into the wind, when we were playing Cincinnati at home. As we were lining it up, I was telling Sam, it was in the middle of the game, so we know that there is a lot of football left to be played on this particular Sunday, but as I am lining it up with Sam, we're looking at our target line and picking out a spot and I say to him, kind of halfheartedly, When we make this, this will be legendary.

It's just the middle of the game, and we knocked the kick down. It was probably the toughest kick that I've made in a game. The feeling of watching the ball split the uprights, I felt like the ball could have gone forever—but then I see that it barely got there! It's a good feeling.

KAHLER: You have to work in perfect synchronization with your snapper and holder. How does that affect your relationship and friendship with Cox and Koch, whom you call your Wolfpack?

TUCKER: First thing I’ve got to do: I have to give them credit for how good they are at what they do. Morgan is an excellent snapper. Sam is an excellent punter and holder. It's due to a combination of talent and incredibly hard work. They make my job significantly easier. At the same time, off the field, we all get along great. Morgan and Sam are both good friends and I think that makes what we do on the field, when we are successful, it makes it that much sweeter.

When there are tough times, we are all able to pick each other up in a way that might be unique. We definitely hang out outside of practice, we all know each other's families, and we're all supportive of everything that everybody's got going on. I would certainly consider Morgan and Sam two of my best friends. It's a unique friendship in that we have fortified our relationship through the trials and tribulations that come with playing pro football together.

We all know exactly what we are going through at any given time. There's an understanding there that nobody else really has, and I think that has certainly contributed to how close we all are off the field.

KAHLER: Do you have any rituals that the three of you do before you go out for an attempt?

TUCKER: No, we don't have any rituals or quirks. I do on my own. Before games, I lay out my uniform in the shape of a man on the floor, and it's my own little—I don't want to call it a superstition—but it's just my ritual.

KAHLER: Do you say anything to yourself or do anything on the field before every kick?

TUCKER: Yeah, I don't want to give away trade secrets, but I am happy to share that I acknowledge the moment with a quick prayer and I make the sign of the cross on myself as I am lining up to kick.

More than anything, to show gratitude for the opportunity and the moment, because as anybody who has played professional football, they know that these moments can be fleeting and I'm certainly blessed to be able to do what I do for a living and I would like to share that idea with whoever is watching. If somebody gets something positive from that, then that is great.

KAHLER: Kicking is a mentally stressful position. Have you ever sought out help from a sports psychologist?

TUCKER: In a game where one-on-one battles frequently determine the outcome of a game, or even more specifically, a play in a game. My one-on-one battle is me vs. myself. I never really think about it as a battle, I just think about being the best me that I can be, and that is a lot easier to do when I have Morgan and Sam right there and I know that I don't even have to think twice about where the ball is going to be once it leaves Morgan's hands and Sam puts it down.

I know it is going to be there. It's just about being the best me that I can be. I've never sought out a sports psychologist to help me hone my craft. It's something that I just haven't needed.

KAHLER: You're a big advocate for the kickers are people too movement, and you recently tweeted that you voted for all kickers this year for the NFL’s top 100 rankings. Can you share your list?

TUCKER: I can't share the exact order because that wouldn't be fair to everybody but I basically just filled out- they give you a list with like 20 blanks and I just filled out ten of them. I wrote down all of the kickers that I could think of off the top of my head.

I will say though that there are guys that I will pick and choose different parts of their technique and I will try to make it my own, and I certainly have some respect for everybody out there and what they are doing and their preparation, because at the end of the day, we're all playing a game.

I want him to do well. If they happen to be playing us and the game comes down to a kick, I don't know, that's a tricky one, but I still want to see all those guys doing well and I would think they feel the same about me.

KAHLER: Von Miller had a pass rush summit at Stanford this offseason, where he invited some of the league’s best pass rushers to learn from each other. Have you ever thought about doing something like that with kickers across the league? Would that be helpful to get together and talk about this really unique skill?

TUCKER: Yeah, it might be. I don't know, I think I prefer to keep my cards close to the chest. I will say, I'll bounce ideas off of one or two other guys, there are a lot of different ways to kick a ball and I think only a handful of guys are really doing it consistently well.

KAHLER: I recently did a story on Patriots kicker Stephen Gostkowski, who said that he struggles with the monotony of being a kicker. Do you ever struggle with the routine and repetition of kicking?

TUCKER: If every ball is the same and it gets to a point where it is monotonous, then that is probably a really good thing. That makes sense coming from Stephen because he is one of the best kickers to ever play, so yeah when it gets boring, it's probably a good thing. I think the head coach would agree. Being bored during field goal period, knowing that everything is going to get made, is a good feeling.

KAHLER:
How did fellow kicker Morten Andersen's induction into the Hall of Fame make you feel? Were you inspired by it?

TUCKER: I love it. I think he was deserving from the get-go. You talk about a game where you win by scoring more points than your opponent, right? And the leading scorer in the history of the game played 25 seasons? That's a no brainer, you should be in the Hall of Fame . . .

I want to say he converted 22 game-winning field goals. So, over an entire regular season worth of wins he is responsible for. That's really cool. I don't think that many people could say anything even close to that, regardless of their position.

KAHLER: Do you think you could play that long?

TUCKER: I just try to take it one kick at a time, and put one foot in front of another and make kicks. That's another reason why he should be in. To play for as long as he did at such a high level, it's remarkable.

KAHLER: You're classically trained in opera. Do you listen to a lot of opera? What type of music do you listen to?

TUCKER: I listen to a whole bunch of different types of music. I get on a kick where I'll listen to like, late ’90s, early 2000s, post-grunge Seattle rock. For awhile I was just obsessed with Third Eye Blind, Chili Peppers, Incubus, that whole kind of range of music—and recently I've been listening to a lot of ’80s hair rock, like Scorpions, Poison, Cru, Guns N’ Roses. I'll throw in a little Outfield. I'll listen to just about anything and try to enjoy it.

KAHLER: Do you ever sing for your teammates?

TUCKER: Yeah I got up in one of the team meetings recently and I sang a song for everybody to provide a little entertainment, camp can be long.

KAHLER: What did you sing?

TUCKER: Well, it was in a team meeting so I can't divulge that. But it was good to get a laugh and a couple smiles from the guys.

KAHLER: You've never missed an extra point in your career, so clearly the increased distance for the PAT didn't affect your results. But was it an adjustment? Is it still an adjustment?

TUCKER: There certainly is an added component there when you just back it up 13 yards from what it was, but more than anything, I just treat it like another field goal attempt. Whereas, in the past, I would certainly treat a 20-yard PAT like another field goal attempt, but you kind of know in the back of your mind that you have a little bit more room for error.

Whereas, on a 33-yard PAT, if that angle changes from the point of contact one or two degrees outside of where you could have erred on a 20-yard PAT, that ball might hit the upright or it might miss. It does make you lock in just a little bit extra.