Just how good is the Rams Defense?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was the game that took the wind out of my sails. The Cards game the week before didn't help. Both games were winnable home games and we laid an egg. It especially hurt because of all the hype about us being the team playoff contenders didn't want to play. We were the ascending team. Ready to close out the season strong and go into next season like gangbusters. Now, we're sitting here with all these question marks.
Me too... both efforts were disappointing.

Shutting out two NFL teams the weeks before (albeit bad NFL teams) really made me thingk the defense had arrived for good.

But, then that Giants game made me wonder...

I don't think there can be any question that the potential in that roster is damned impressive. Just have to mske sure it translates to the field (and scoreboard).

Just have got to come out strong.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's not one of the top MLB's in the league, but I doubt he's a big part of the problem. He has some limitations, but he makes up for a lot with his intelligence. I think the Rams defense can be a top tier unit as is. They just need to work on some things.
It is amazing to me that, out of all the other problem areas on this team (not that there are tons, understand)... JL gets called out as one of them.

He simply isn't anywhere near the first problem the team needs to consider... not even close.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Percentages are for baseball :whistle:
Even the Seahawks......who i'm sure everyone agrees has one of the best secondaries in the league, and the best CB, finished 12th in completion % last season. They were numero uno in passing yards allowed/gm. Rams pass D finished 19th in passing yards allowed/gm

Then we have TD's given up via the pass:
Rams D finished 4th in passing TD's allowed with only 18, while Seattle finished 2nd with 17 TD's. Just for reference the Washington D gave up 35 TD's via the pass. THAT'S a bad secondary.

Our secondary isn't that bad. The entire defense wasn't very good for most of the first half of the season. I agree that we could use an upgrade at CB, someone who can shutdown an entire side of the field...but much like Center/Power forwards in the NBA that can score inside/outside, rebound and play defense...those guys don't grow on trees in the NFL.

While you are doing work can you heck YPA?

I'm guessing the Rams were OK on that front. And also how far the ball traveled from the QB's hand to the receiver? There was a lot of drop and pop against the Rams to nullify the pass rush.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
I love this thread because I'm a big defense guy...I believe it is defense that wins big games and the Rams are going to be very very good. I've been waiting for a defense like this for a long time. Fast and strong, well coached and for the most part they are young.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
They're so good they probably think this song is about them

RamWoodie

Legend
I think we know what we have in the Rams DLine...but everyone else knows it too! Let's not forget though...that it all works together!!

An excellent Dline requires a good to excellent secondary...it all works together. The Rams can be a monster on defense...but it all has to come together.

The secondary is young... BUT...perhaps this is the year that "seasoning" hits Jenkins and Johnson...then...LOOK OUT!!!

I hear a lot of criticism of Jenkins...and some of it is deserved...but the kid plays instinctive which includes taking risk sometimes. I'm still glad he's on our side! Jenkins and Johnson can be really good this year...it's their 4th year.