Just Fix the OL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
That's honestly my goal of this entire offseason after much contemplating. How much different woud we have if our OL had consistent push up the middle and Bradford got a little more breathing room?

I hate to say I'm turning on Watkins a bit but the fact is we have guys that can make plays. What do we all say about young WR's? It takes a few years for them to start getting in the groove. Watkins will be a rookie which means he'd be behind.

Fact of the matter is we get Stacy and the running game going and any of our WR's will turn into studs, assuming Quick finally understands what a hot read is . *DOINK!!!*

Remember Eddie George and the Titans cramming it down our throats in the second half of SB34? That's the identity this offense needs to undertake. We punch them in the gut and the all game and the head will lose focus. No team can withstand successful running game and then a PA fake or RB screen. With a guy like Robinson being the pull guard, I wouldn't wanna be on the receiving end of that punishing block.

Is it asking too much to fortify the foundation before we start on the house? We've seen how effective our guys are with and without the running game. We have the tools to burn defenses through the air but we don't the OL to pound the rock against the Cards or Niners.

One more food for thought, SEA won the SB with a pretty average WR'ibg core. Wilson barely had to throw.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I agree with you, but if we get "stuck" at #2 and actually have to make a pick I have a hard time believing we won't go flash over substance

jjab360

Legend
I agree with you, but if we get "stuck" at #2 and actually have to make a pick I have a hard time believing we won't go flash over substance
Robinson is a freakish OL prospect, plenty of flash there. Moreso than a slightly above average athlete at WR, imo.

RamEERS

Pastor
That's honestly my goal of this entire offseason after much contemplating. How much different woud we have if our OL had consistent push up the middle and Bradford got a little more breathing room?

I hate to say I'm turning on Watkins a bit but the fact is we have guys that can make plays. What do we all say about young WR's? It takes a few years for them to start getting in the groove. Watkins will be a rookie which means he'd be behind.

Fact of the matter is we get Stacy and the running game going and any of our WR's will turn into studs, assuming Quick finally understands what a hot read is . *DOINK!!!*

Remember Eddie George and the Titans cramming it down our throats in the second half of SB34? That's the identity this offense needs to undertake. We punch them in the gut and the all game and the head will lose focus. No team can withstand successful running game and then a PA fake or RB screen. With a guy like Robinson being the pull guard, I wouldn't wanna be on the receiving end of that punishing block.

Is it asking too much to fortify the foundation before we start on the house? We've seen how effective our guys are with and without the running game. We have the tools to burn defenses through the air but we don't the OL to pound the rock against the Cards or Niners.

One more food for thought, SEA won the SB with a pretty average WR'ibg core. Wilson barely had to throw.

basically my argument from day 1.... finally someone sees the light..

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm proud of you Nick, you've finally seen the light.;)

Dang it, Enis... don't say that lol.

If we don't updraft the trenches then we will essentially be the same team. Period.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Robinson is a freakish OL prospect, plenty of flash there. Moreso than a slightly above average athlete at WR, imo.
Flash is usually used in reference to the skill position guys, or at least that's what I meant

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Flash is usually used in reference to the skill position guys, or at least that's what I meant

That's is Fisher's style in the first round. He likes PM's or DL'man. I can't see them going for Watkins especially after Snead stated WR isn't a need. Last year he did he did mention it. But after losing our top two WR's over a three year span, it's not like it was saying much.

I could see Alex Mack being the pick after a trade down. But there are some good ones in the second round, too.

Robinson is honestly in a class of his own. His pass protection worries me a bit but the guy is a 332 pound athlete. Coach Bo can get him up to speed, no doubt.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I have been on the fix the OL bandwagon since last year.

I really do believe it has been part of the long term plan of Fisher and Snead and that this year we will see the youth movement catch up with the OL.

Fix the Oline and that will go a long way toward fixing any other problems the Rams have had the last two years.

Protect Bradford, sustain drives, eat up clock, keep the defense fresh a winning combination.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Robinson is in a class of his own??? Really?? A ROT or G who is a road grader in the run game? I would be happier with Matthews #2-6 and Yankey #13 they fit better day one.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Robinson is in a class of his own??? Really?? A ROT or G who is a road grader in the run game? I would be happier with Matthews #2-6 and Yankey #13 they fit better day one.

I don't wanna devote BOTH our top 15 picks to the OL. I think we have a really good chance of getting Saffold back, too.

Even if he was only a super stud G, Cooper went in the top ten just last year with no one mentioning him playing T. Robinson has a considerably higher ceiling than Cooper because he can play 4 of 5 positions. He's worth the pick at G alone.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't wanna devote BOTH our top 15 picks to the OL. I think we have a really good chance of getting Saffold back, too.

Even if he was only a super stud G, Cooper went in the top ten just last year with no one mentioning him playing T. Robinson has a considerably higher ceiling than Cooper because he can play 4 of 5 positions. He's worth the pick at G alone.

I think Saffold tests the market and is probably gone. He is not worth paying what someone else will offer. The Rams have seen first hand how injury prone he is and should not over pay for him.

I think Matthews can do anything Robinson can do and then some right now. So I would take him over Robinson and his potential every day I just don't get the idea that someone else might get better over their career so take him not the other guy who everyone knows is better right now.

In reality I cannot see spending both 1st round picks on the OL but it would undoubtedly fix this unit for the foreseeable future.

Long Matthews Jones Yankey Barksdale

laramsoriginal

Starter
I doubt the rams get stuck at #2. If so the front office is being too picky.

For instance, if no team in the top 10 wants to jump up then im sure a team in the teens would love to jump all the way to #2 for two first round picks and This years 2nd round. This draft is deep so the rams should not expect teams willing to give up all their picks in 2014.
That is just my opinion. Rams biggest needs are on the OG and Secondary. Both holes can be filled by using a pick in the teens rather than a #2 overall. Just my opinion

jjab360

Legend
I think Saffold tests the market and is probably gone. He is not worth paying what someone else will offer. The Rams have seen first hand how injury prone he is and should not over pay for him.

I think Matthews can do anything Robinson can do and then some right now. So I would take him over Robinson and his potential every day I just don't get the idea that someone else might get better over their career so take him not the other guy who everyone knows is better right now.

In reality I cannot see spending both 1st round picks on the OL but it would undoubtedly fix this unit for the foreseeable future.

Long Matthews Jones Yankey Barksdale
That's outrageous. Matthews can not run over and toss people around like Robinson can, and probably never will be able to.

laramsoriginal

Starter
That's outrageous. Matthews can not run over and toss people around like Robinson can, and probably never will be able to.

Robinson will struggle his rookie year, he does not have the technique of Mathews. In the NFL, poor footwork gets exposed.

jjab360

Legend
Robinson will struggle his rookie year, he does not have the technique of Mathews. In the NFL, poor footwork gets exposed.
Maybe he will, maybe he won't. No one knows. Fluker had terrible technique and was a stud his rookie year. Joeckel and Eric Fisher had great technique just like Matthews and were both disappointing.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Yeah because that is the most important thing technique is just a nice thing to have.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Maybe he will, maybe he won't. No one knows. Fluker had terrible technique and was a stud his rookie year. Joeckel and Eric Fisher had great technique just like Matthews and were both disappointing.

I like both those guys over Mathews, too. I'd take Robinson over all of them being we have Long to play LT.

Mayock even said "it's technique, he'll pick it up."

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Fluker was a stud this year?