Just bought a....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
10 acre piece of farm land just outside Paso Robles, Ca.

I want to turn it into a homestead/small farm.

I however have done zero farming in my life.

There is no time frame as I do not live there now and plan to develop over a number of years.

Anyone with farming experience?

Where do I start??

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
10 acre piece of farm land just outside Paso Robles, Ca.

I want to turn it into a homestead/small farm.

I however have done zero farming in my life.

There is no time frame as I do not live there now and plan to develop over a number of years.

Anyone with farming experience?

Where do I start??

How is the land fixed for water, and are the local rates fairly reasonable for your ag zoning ? Any wells ?

It's California and draught conditions, so definitely look into drip irrigation for whatever crops/trees you plan.
jmo.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How is the land fixed for water, and are the local rates fairly reasonable for your ag zoning ? Any wells ?

It's California and draught conditions, so definitely look into drip irrigation for whatever crops/trees you plan.
jmo.
It is zoned ag and the electric rates are very good.
It has a good and productive well in place, which is a huge plus.
That is literally all the land has on it at this point.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
It is zoned ag and the electric rates are very good.
It has a good and productive well in place, which is a huge plus.
That is literally all the land has on it at this point.

So you already have an operational electric meter and working water pump for the well ?

Are the crops/trees/vines for personal consumption or do you have plans for product sales such as at a farmers market ?

If you have plans to live or work from your farm, will you be building a home/residence/barn on it ? Are you close enough to connect to a sewer system or will you be building a septic tank ? Is your property well fenced ? Are pests like rabbits, wild pigs, coyote, skunks, etc. a local problem for farmers ?

Is the terrain flat, will you require a tractor/back hoe/expensive farm equipment ? What is your elevation ?

Once you know what crops you'll be wanting to grow and where you wish to locate any buildings/barn, draw out a design indicating what goes where. Have soil samples taken to ensure everything is compatible with your plans, as well as which crops/plants grow well together or which should be distanced. Learn about growth time for each product you plant, and the best season for each to flourish. Is there much chance of freeze or will extreme heat apply at times ? Learn about crop rotation and erosion control to get the most out of your land. Get to know the wisest nursery operators in the area and what fertilizers & applications you'll require for your operation.

jmo.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I own an irrigation company. Any underground (under the soil line) watering would great in the drought conditions.

But it ll depends on what you plan to grow.

fearsomefour

Legend
So you already have an operational electric meter and working water pump for the well ?

Are the crops/trees/vines for personal consumption or do you have plans for product sales such as at a farmers market ?

If you have plans to live or work from your farm, will you be building a home/residence/barn on it ? Are you close enough to connect to a sewer system or will you be building a septic tank ? Is your property well fenced ? Are pests like rabbits, wild pigs, coyote, skunks, etc. a local problem for farmers ?

Is the terrain flat, will you require a tractor/back hoe/expensive farm equipment ? What is your elevation ?

Once you know what crops you'll be wanting to grow and where you wish to locate any buildings/barn, draw out a design indicating what goes where. Have soil samples taken to ensure everything is compatible with your plans, as well as which crops/plants grow well together or which should be distanced. Learn about growth time for each product you plant, and the best season for each to flourish. Is there much chance of freeze or will extreme heat apply at times ? Learn about crop rotation and erosion control to get the most out of your land. Get to know the wisest nursery operators in the area and what fertilizers & applications you'll require for your operation.

jmo.
Awesome, thanks.
The well is functional and there is cheap power as long as it is ag.
So, the ultimate plan at this point is to put in two commercial greenhouses. One for veg and one for medicine. I would also like to do some farming outside as well.
From what I have gathered the soil will need some work (expected). It is normally pretty dry so deepening the well (although it is productive now) may be done as well.
With two nice greenhouses (Ceres Greenhouses, one 40' x 24' and one 60' x 24' with solar) what is produced would be both for personal consumption (although may add another small one for family veg) and selling.
Good advice about seeking out local experts.
Paso Robles is surrounded by wineries and farms, so, there is a lot of resources in the location.
I plan on starting small and building things out over time, no rush.
The other option is to build it out and lease the property as an income property if we don't end up living at the location.
I would also consider growing micro greens, which I enjoy and there is a bit of a niche market for, and trying to grow chug mushrooms, although they require cold, so, that presents other challenges.
The location is about 30 miles inland from the Pacific Ocean so it is temperate most of the time but can get very hot for a couple of months in the summer.
Thanks for the tips.

fearsomefour

Legend
I own an irrigation company. Any underground (under the soil line) watering would great in the drought conditions.

But it ll depends on what you plan to grow.
Good idea.
I assume this is to help mitigate waste with evaporation?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Awesome, thanks.
The well is functional and there is cheap power as long as it is ag.
So, the ultimate plan at this point is to put in two commercial greenhouses. One for veg and one for medicine. I would also like to do some farming outside as well.
From what I have gathered the soil will need some work (expected). It is normally pretty dry so deepening the well (although it is productive now) may be done as well.
With two nice greenhouses (Ceres Greenhouses, one 40' x 24' and one 60' x 24' with solar) what is produced would be both for personal consumption (although may add another small one for family veg) and selling.

Greenhouse growing is a great way to go. It's different, but have you thought about a larger commercial indoor hydroponic system where you can eliminate soil & weather problems, be less labor intensive, reduce water consumption and enjoy higher yields. Modern mechanized hydroponic systems are now being built all over the world, even in bad outdoor climate regions because you would be fully self-contained in your barn building. Advanced hydroponics really is the future.

This is just one of many examples :

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
What road is it on? My sister lives off Union Road and I have lots of family in the area. I grew up just down the road in Atascadero and farmed on a 900 acre ranch in Creston.

Your property has a well and you mention deepening it. Can you? Water rights are a tricky thing. What gpm is it producing? Apparently, with all the wineries going in around that area, several property owners have been having trouble with their wells and there are several lawsuits going on over it. Really look into your water rights. When we moved to the area in the mid 70s, there were 5 wineries on the east side of 101 and I think 3 on the west side. Now, there are apparently over 270. Water is gold.

Regardless, it's a beautiful area. Hopefully, you can do what you're aiming at. I'll have to pop in on you some time when I'm there.

I don't know of much greenhouse growing going on around there but it sounds like a decent idea with small acreage. It probably is going on but I don't get around to many areas when I'm visiting family down there.

With all the restaurants and wineries now in the area, you may find that veggies are not only easier to start up but maybe even more profitable than med. There are lots of farm to table type restaurants and farmers markets in that area. I'm not sure what it takes to get the go ahead for meds but my understanding is that it is not easy anymore and the gov't has expanded rights to "visit" your property and buildings.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
By the way... A really good buddy of mine works for the USDA as an engineer in that area, so if there is something you need to know from them without having to file permits and such, let me know. He's helped my dad with his wells, as well as cross fencing and such. He has been able to help my dad with grants and also technical info on his ranch in Atascadero. He's a real good guy and can be very helpful. He is one of those guys that is very much on the farmer/rancher's side but has developed several environmental projects that allow farming while protecting the critters.

fearsomefour

Legend
Greenhouse growing is a great way to go. It's different, but have you thought about a larger commercial indoor hydroponic system where you can eliminate soil & weather problems, be less labor intensive, reduce water consumption and enjoy higher yields. Modern mechanized hydroponic systems are now being built all over the world, even in bad outdoor climate regions because you would be fully self-contained in your barn building. Advanced hydroponics really is the future.

This is just one of many examples :

Yes, I have thought about it.
Im not sure which has the steeper learning curve, or, if they are just different.
I initially was approved (paper work in, paid, approved and farm named/registered etc) for a 10,000 sq foot indoor grow space for weed.
That got nixed by the county however.....counties can override the state in that regard.
That was going to be hydroponic fully.
But, plans change.....just as well because the build out for 10,000 sq feet of grow space would not have been feasible with out sizable outside investors.
Sooooo much research to do.....thankfully, I enjoy research.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Yes, I have thought about it.
Im not sure which has the steeper learning curve, or, if they are just different.
I initially was approved (paper work in, paid, approved and farm named/registered etc) for a 10,000 sq foot indoor grow space for weed.
That got nixed by the county however.....counties can override the state in that regard.
That was going to be hydroponic fully.
But, plans change.....just as well because the build out for 10,000 sq feet of grow space would not have been feasible with out sizable outside investors.
Sooooo much research to do.....thankfully, I enjoy research.

One of the great things about going the hydroponic method is you can start smaller with your out-buildings, or even shipping containers, and you mentioned starting small might be your initial foray into this venture. You can add containers or a larger barn anytime you feel comfortable with what you've already accomplished. Zoning is likely to require a septic system & bathroom facility be installed before you can start the actual agricultural work process, just build it as far as you can get from your well. You've already mentioned solar panels for the green house, but this can also be adapted to most every other building as well, but again, there are alternatives. I know that you get a great deal of sun in Paso Robles, but what is the wind situation like ? Many off the grid farms throughout the U.S. have added smaller wind generators for powering their operations, some as low as $20,000. dollars, but you'd need to check whether you are zoned for this.
Anyway, you are now onto a great adventure, I wish you the best of luck & success.

fearsomefour

Legend
What road is it on? My sister lives off Union Road and I have lots of family in the area. I grew up just down the road in Atascadero and farmed on a 900 acre ranch in Creston.

Your property has a well and you mention deepening it. Can you? Water rights are a tricky thing. What gpm is it producing? Apparently, with all the wineries going in around that area, several property owners have been having trouble with their wells and there are several lawsuits going on over it. Really look into your water rights. When we moved to the area in the mid 70s, there were 5 wineries on the east side of 101 and I think 3 on the west side. Now, there are apparently over 270. Water is gold.

Regardless, it's a beautiful area. Hopefully, you can do what you're aiming at. I'll have to pop in on you some time when I'm there.

I don't know of much greenhouse growing going on around there but it sounds like a decent idea with small acreage. It probably is going on but I don't get around to many areas when I'm visiting family down there.

With all the restaurants and wineries now in the area, you may find that veggies are not only easier to start up but maybe even more profitable than med. There are lots of farm to table type restaurants and farmers markets in that area. I'm not sure what it takes to get the go ahead for meds but my understanding is that it is not easy anymore and the gov't has expanded rights to "visit" your property and buildings.
Off of Creston Rd, closer to Creston than Paso.
I grew up in SLO and wanted to secure a piece of land in that area for development or investment or retirement. You know the deal with costs out there......a LOT different than when we were young.
I remember so many of those old family farms getting turned into wineries.....you are right, they are everywhere out there.
My mother actually grew up on Edna Farm which is where Tolosa Winery (by SLO Airport is) is now.

Anyway, the property does have a well. I was just thinking out loud about deepening it.....I don't know if you can actually. Last time I checked you can still drill a well, but, it is very expensive. The well last tested at 15 gpm.

That area, in large part because of the wineries, has grown up so much. The farm to fork ideal is alive and well for sure. It is damn near impossible to find a bad meal in that area. So, you may be right about finding it profitable. I would certainly have to take some time and start small and learn. There is no shortage of talent out there for all things growing.

I was approved by the state for a 10,000 square foot indoor grow area for marijuana. The build out cost on that size place would be huge. The county stopped that as the county has over ride power when it comes to allowing legal grows. The market is pretty saturated. Not enough water.....too much weed.

Once I get something going there you are always welcome for a steak and laughs.

fearsomefour

Legend
By the way... A really good buddy of mine works for the USDA as an engineer in that area, so if there is something you need to know from them without having to file permits and such, let me know. He's helped my dad with his wells, as well as cross fencing and such. He has been able to help my dad with grants and also technical info on his ranch in Atascadero. He's a real good guy and can be very helpful. He is one of those guys that is very much on the farmer/rancher's side but has developed several environmental projects that allow farming while protecting the critters.
Wow.
Thats awesome man.
I will keep this in mind as I go forward......at this point I don't even know what I don't know.
Thanks again.

fearsomefour

Legend
One of the great things about going the hydroponic method is you can start smaller with your out-buildings, or even shipping containers, and you mentioned starting small might be your initial foray into this venture. You can add containers or a larger barn anytime you feel comfortable with what you've already accomplished. Zoning is likely to require a septic system & bathroom facility be installed before you can start the actual agricultural work process, just build it as far as you can get from your well. You've already mentioned solar panels for the green house, but this can also be adapted to most every other building as well, but again, there are alternatives. I know that you get a great deal of sun in Paso Robles, but what is the wind situation like ? Many off the grid farms throughout the U.S. have added smaller wind generators for powering their operations, some as low as $20,000. dollars, but you'd need to check whether you are zoned for this.
Anyway, you are now onto a great adventure, I wish you the best of luck & success.
Those are great ideas.
Thank you again.
I think I MUST start small because I have a large learning curve. I am starting a small hydroponic set up at my house shortly where I live now (Nevada) before I even start developing the land in Cali. to start to learn.
It really is fascinating and hopefully enjoyable.
Great insights and again I appreciate it.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Those are great ideas.
Thank you again.
I think I MUST start small because I have a large learning curve. I am starting a small hydroponic set up at my house shortly where I live now (Nevada) before I even start developing the land in Cali. to start to learn.
It really is fascinating and hopefully enjoyable.
Great insights and again I appreciate it.

If you're going to experiment with hydroponics at home, and I highly recommend it, I'd go with the Drip method. The Deep Water Culture system may be the easiest, but it likely won't be a good match later when you want to go commercial. While a small Drip method may require a bit more work initially, I believe you'll find that learning this way will be more adaptive to a future commercial operation. Call a couple hydroponic dealers for more info/books, ... better, maybe even make contact with that shipping container operation I linked to earlier.
jmo.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm in Sparks a lot. I live in Midtown. We'll have to get together for a beer.