Just a few draft things.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
The draft to some of us is 24/7/ eternity.

Justin Blackmon

In the last two seasons, Blackmon has proved to be one of the top wide receivers in the country. In 2010 he caught 111 passes for 1,782 yards and 20 touchdowns. With a game to play this year, he has 113 catches for 1,336 yards and 15 touchdowns.

Blackmon is a 4th year junior, having redshirted in 2008 his true freshman year. He was not a highly recruited player coming out of high school. He was rated as a three-star player with offers from places like Colorado, Missouri and Northern Iowa as well as Oklahoma State. Though he still has another year of eligibility, it’s almost a forgone conclusion that he will enter the draft. He came very close to coming out last year.

Blackmon has excellent receiver size at about 6-1 and 215. He looks taller because he is so long. He is a fluid athlete with excellent flexibility and body control but only average speed. After watching four tapes yesterday, I would estimate his play speed at no better than 4.6. On tape you don’t see him pull away from people on deeper routes. It’s a combination of the offense he plays in, his body control and his route running ability that make him as productive as he is. Though he has some concentration drops, he has excellent hands and almost rare ability to adjust to the ball. He has very good leaping ability and will consistently go up and snatch the ball at its high point both in traffic or when free. While he is not a burner, he uses his body control and length to get open even when a defender is close by. He is a very good runner after the catch using his strength and natural run instincts to get yardage. As a blocker, he is willing and at times shows he can be a big hitter.

Overall, the player in the league I would compare Blackman to is Anquan Boldin. They have a similar skill set coming out of college. Blackmon is probably a bit faster than Boldin as Anquan struggled to break 4.7 when timed. Still, football character, instincts, route running ability and hands will make him a productive possession receiver in the NFL. Comparing Blackmon to Notre Dame’s Michael Floyd, I would say Floyd will run faster and is a more physical player but Blackmon has a little better body control. Before I watched the tape, I would have thought Blackmon was the better prospect because of his production but now I would have to go with Floyd.

Some links.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/scouting_department.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/sco ... tment.html</a>.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.optimumscouting.com/draft/static/top-100-prospects.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.optimumscouting.com/draft/st ... pects.html</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2011/12/06/nfl-draft-order-derby-say-goodbye-to-barkley-and-griffin-as-dolphins-drop-from-5th-to-9th/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... th-to-9th/</a>
This was has info about the order of the draft..

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nationalfootballauthority.com/2011/12/2012-nfl-mock-draft-baylor-qb-robert.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nationalfootballauthority.co ... obert.html</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.sidelinescouting.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sidelinescouting.com/</a>

I have a bunch of these going out to 2017......Yes some ppl predict for Juniors in HS.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Blackmon can get seperation and is a good guy. He made a mistake that I think he learned from. This guy was/is projected to be better than Dez Bryant.

Floyd would be a good option, perhaps via trade up?

Jeffery is there too, but when I started googling him...the auto complete said "ashlon jeffery fat." IDK what that means lol.

superfan24

Starter
Woohooo go get Floyd. No Rams fan will be disappointed.
I say trade down and get a couple 1st rounders

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Angry Ram said:
Blackmon can get seperation and is a good guy. He made a mistake that I think he learned from. This guy was/is projected to be better than Dez Bryant.

Jeffery is there too, but when I started googling him...the auto complete said "ashlon jeffery fat." IDK what that means lol.

I wouldn't go Floyd even in the 2nd. His arrest record sends up a big red flag for me and I'm not a 4 pillars guy. Just afraid the Rams would pay him more than ND and he would revert back. I really hope he has put that behind him. Now that it seems that the NFL is going back and looking at the trouble a kid got into in school so if the kid screws up again is it 4 games, 8 games or a whole season on his first DWI. Best WR in the draft though.

Blackmon is very good. I like him if we trade down to get him in the mid teens. Till he proves otherwise he has Brandon Gibson speed, some of that separation would disappear in the NFL. He has trouble shedding press coverage but has good hands. Could be a 70 catch guy by second year, which is what the team needs. He's always compared to Anquan Boldin which is great but if he can't come in and be as physical as Boldin then we have spent a 2nd on a better handed Brandon Gibson.

Jeffery might pass him by the draft. Jeffery has more upside long term. Again a speed issue.

superfan24

Starter
Yamahopper said:
Angry Ram said:

I wouldn't go Floyd even in the 2nd. His arrest record sends up a big red flag for me and I'm not a 4 pillars guy. Just afraid the Rams would pay him more than ND and he would revert back. I really hope he has put that behind him. Now that it seems that the NFL is going back and looking at the trouble a kid got into in school so if the kid screws up again is it 4 games, 8 games or a whole season on his first DWI. Best WR in the draft though.

Blackmon is very good. I like him if we trade down to get him in the mid teens. Till he proves otherwise he has Brandon Gibson speed, some of that separation would disappear in the NFL. He has trouble shedding press coverage but has good hands. Could be a 70 catch guy by second year, which is what the team needs. He's always compared to Anquan Boldin which is great but if he can't come in and be as physical as Boldin then we have spent a 2nd on a better handed Brandon Gibson.

Jeffery might pass him by the draft. Jeffery has more upside long term. Again a speed issue.

Trust me Floyd has changed 100% since his arrest in March. He is a great teammate and did a ton of work for South Bend, helping a ton of people. He admits all the time the dumb mistakes he has made and thanks everyone for their support. Also was very supportive of nd qb's when he very well could have complained thrown a tantrum. I'm sure every team won't worry too much about his previous mistakes after Brian Kelly talks to him. Comes from very humble roots also...
Don't forget Blackmon also had a dui last year, but seems to have also changed.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
superfan24 said:
Woohooo go get Floyd. No Rams fan will be disappointed.
I say trade down and get a couple 1st rounders

Me? I'm trading down then trading down some more.

Realistically looking at the Rams roster at end of the season any good pick 3rd round up will step in to be a starter next year. A 4th RD might even sneak in the DL or OL. So I'd rather have 6 new starters than 3.
More the better, getting younger , faster and healthier job one.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
superfan24 said:
Yamahopper said:
Angry Ram said:

Trust me Floyd has changed 100% since his arrest in March. He is a great teammate and did a ton of work for South Bend, helping a ton of people. He admits all the time the dumb mistakes he has made and thanks everyone for their support. Also was very supportive of nd qb's when he very well could have complained thrown a tantrum. I'm sure every team won't worry too much about his previous mistakes after Brian Kelly talks to him. Comes from very humble roots also...
Don't forget Blackmon also had a dui last year, but seems to have also changed.

I hope both have learned and moved on. Everone screws the pooch sometimes. Just for some reason I'm Leary of Floyd real high in the draft. He is the best all around WR this year.

Last year it was Green and Jones then everyone else. This year it's Blackmon, Jeffery, Floyd and everyone else is much closer. Separation issue in draft status.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Yamahopper said:
Angry Ram said:

I personally don't think that Floyd's arrests are that much of a concern. Like Lance Kendricks, Floyd is a team captain. Kendricks actually had more alcohol-related incidents than Floyd, so if we took him, I wouldn't really see a problem.

Blackmon is intriguing. I personally don't think he's close to having the same speed as Green or Jones, but he's certainly a better route runner. However, Blackmon worries me in terms of football character. He obviously hasn't learned not to taunt the people chasing him to the endzone, he has a bit of a diva attitude, and after the last two OSU star wideouts (Adarius Bowman and Dez Bryant), I'm wary of selecting him.

I wouldn't touch Jeffrey at all. This guy scares me in terms of work ethic; he's a lot fatter than he was in his freshman year. Yes, you heard me right. Fatter. As in around the midsection. It's messed with his speed, and I think that it's a primary reason why he's struggled this year. If there's one thing that's sure to ruin an NFL player's career, it's lethargy. Ask JaMarcus Russell. Ask Albert Haynesworth.

If we are going to take a wideout this year, I'd personally ask for Marvin McNutt out of Iowa in the second round. He's a St. Louis kid, has great size, speed, and hands, and he now has the stats to back up his physical attributes. He's rather inconsistent, but he's improved every year, and I think he's a bit of a sleeper. He's the guy that nobody's talking about as a first round pick, but has first round potential.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yamahopper said:
Angry Ram said:

Well yeah speed is important, but so is proper route running...something I don't think Gibson does very well. Track guys don't mean everything. We'll see how fast he runs in a straight line lol.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
One WR im really intrigued with is Kendall Wright. That dude is a playmaker (we need those!!), Hes 5'10" 190 lbs.

Heres a scouting report on him:
Strengths: Strong for his size – Explosive deep threat, makes up the cushion very quickly – Verified 4.4 speed – Can play inside and outside – Tracks the ball well in the air – Makes very solid adjustments to the ball – Plus hands, lets very few balls get in on him – Excellent change of direction abilities, home-run threat after the catch – Creates separation easily – Used behind the LOS on reverses and screens – Rarely has problems gaining a clean release, although we haven’t seen him pressed much.

Weaknesses: Small in stature – Doesn’t run an entire route tree – Needs refinement in route running – Will need to add some bulk if he plans to continue to work middle of the field.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2011/12/kendall-wright-scouting-report.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2011/12/ ... eport.html</a>

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm ready to RB Richardson. SJ is on his last couple of seasons and this would give the Rams a formidable backfield to go to a two back set for awhile. After that, just try and plug the holes of the strainer. Start at the center in hopes it will hold a little water. Best player available at the time.