JT Chat Highlights: No Release/Restructure for Sam or Tag for Saffold

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Saffold did himself proud with his contract audition the latter part of this year. OL (especially OT) is a tough spot for every single team. He is going to get big offers from multiple teams I'm afraid.

His play the latter part of this year makes me hate to see him go .... but I'd hate even more seeing him go DOWN again and again and again if we sign him back.

My instincts tell me to let the mammoth go. Reluctantly though.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Don't get me wrong, I like Saffold but with Long injured I can just see us resigning RS for big $ and him going down opening day....and we are left with both our T's out day 1.

Yes the only negative knock that now can be said about Rodger Saffold...and it's legit..Saffold has gone down the very first of the season two yrs in a roll (2012/2013) then back in 2011 he went to IR about mid season....other than he is injury prone....but when he is healthy & on the field MAGIC happens.

...Yes the the Rams went out and signed & purchased a center who had no injury history until he was a Ram...all Scott Wells has done since that signing two yrs ago is go on IR twice (2012 & 2013) with multiple surgeries & rehabbing events....then on top of that the Rams biggest off-season move in 2013 was to go out & sign & purchase the only other OT who has a longer injury history than Saffold but Jake does play hurt...not well but does play.

Not to be outdone in the OL event category is Harvey Dahl. So Harvey gets in some late injury action in 2012 himself & goes IR. But Harvey is not done either he gets some more injury action in October of this 2013 season & has not returned to his starting post yet. I know I am being facetious in the above I certainly do not think Ram OL'ers desire the pain (mentally & physically) with an injury.

Point is it does seem the only significant injuries the Rams are endowed with year in year out are injuries to Offensive Linemen. Might finally move Fisher for a change of mood since he arrived as a HC in the NFL.....he may decide to stop drafting Ram WR's early :stirthepot: & take a long look @ drafting OL'ers early, fast & many!

Could be why Fisher may have attacked this issue in the old way & saying "there strength in numbers". Fisher has maintain mostly 11 to 10 OL'ers since the opening of the 2013 season on his master 53 Ram player roster. S M A R T !:wink:

Jake Long OLT
Rodger Saffold ORT/ORG/OLT
Joe Barksdale ORT
Chris Williams OLG
Harvey Dahl ORG
Shelley Smith OLG/ORG
Scott Wells OC (IR)
Tim Barnes OC
Brandon Washington OLG/ORG
Barrett Jones OC/OG
Mike Persons OG/OT

Lesson

Oh, really?
Dahl needs to go. He's played poorly this year. With all of Wells's injuries and age, I think I'd let him go too...especially with Barnes playing solidly and seemingly improving each game.

I also think we should hire Schwartz as DC if he comes available. Him and Fisher have worked well together before. Although he was up and down in Tennessee as their DC.

I feel the same way, but I don't think both Dahl and Wells will be gone. One or the other, IMO.

Also, there has to be some reason why the Rams claimed Mike Persons. I wonder what Boudreau's plan is for him?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I feel the same way, but I don't think both Dahl and Wells will be gone. One or the other, IMO.Also, there has to be some reason why the Rams claimed Mike Persons. I wonder what Boudreau's plan is for him?
Hey lesson, Happy Holidays....Question for you.... I am really interested in why you fill that the Rams would find a good reason to keep either Dahl 4 mil.or Wells 6.5 mil? So Much Cap Space tied up in these two...Wells is a injury wreck the last two seasons & Dahl is trying to match Wells injury wreck of his own plus has lost his starting post & way down the depth chart behind Shelley Smith& Barrett Jones? Releasing both provides 8.5 mil instant cap cash? If Rams have Shelley Smith starting in Dahl place now @ for about 3.5 mil less. Tim Barnes starting in Wells post for about 6 mil less??

As far as OL'er Mike Persons he looks like future OLG or ORG prospect to me. Me thinks he will be here in 2014 as back up.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Good stuff! I'll comment further when I get off work. I will say this, I'd love to have Schwartz as our DC like many of us.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'd rather move past both Dahl and Wells.

I hate to say that; because both are real-football-men. But it feels like time to go younger and reinvest those dollars.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd rather move past both Dahl and Wells.

I hate to say that; because both are real-football-men. But it feels like time to go younger and reinvest those dollars.

Yep. Agreed.

Lesson

Oh, really?
Hey lesson, Happy Holidays....Question for you.... I am really interested in why you fill that the Rams would find a good reason to keep either Dahl 4 mil.or Wells 6.5 mil? So Much Cap Space tied up in these two...Wells is a injury wreck the last two seasons & Dahl is trying to match Wells injury wreck of his own plus has lost his starting post & way down the depth chart behind Shelley Smith& Barrett Jones? Releasing both provides 8.5 mil instant cap cash? If Rams have Shelley Smith starting in Dahl place now @ for about 3.5 mil less. Tim Barnes starting in Wells post for about 6 mil less??

As far as OL'er Mike Persons he looks like future OLG or ORG prospect to me. Me thinks he will be here in 2014 as back up.

Happy Holidays to you as well, Bonifay.

Anyways, the reasons why I think Dahl could remain over Wells is that he could be considered a swing OL as he did play RT a little bit in 2011. I also think Boudreau is a large reason as to why Dahl was given his opportunity to play in Atlanta, but I could be wrong, while Wells on the other hand wasn't coached by Boudreau initially.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Happy Holidays to you as well, Bonifay.

Anyways, the reasons why I think Dahl could remain over Wells is that he could be considered a swing OL as he did play RT a little bit in 2011. I also think Boudreau is a large reason as to why Dahl was given his opportunity to play in Atlanta, but I could be wrong, while Wells on the other hand wasn't coached by Boudreau initially.

That's the value Dahl brings; versatility.