Jrry32 First Mock Off-Season (12/21/19)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm always leery of Defensive Coordinators who had success with a head coach who has a good defensive track record. Pete Carroll could have played a big hand in helping with his Seattle defense. Seaside from that that defense was loaded when Quinn was there and they mainly played a straight cover 3 most of the time because they didn't have any glaring weaknesses.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Nice mock @jrry32. I'm sure there'll be more soon, but so far so good.
I'm nervous moving back to a 4-3, but I'm not sure how much success we've had so far under a 3-4 -- we just never seem to have the right OLB's/ILB's, and adding 4 to the DL would help Donald methinks. Might make us stouter against the run, not that we were that great against it with Donald/Brockers and AO at MLB. Always seemed to give up huge holes with pulling guards washing AO out. I'd only like to have AO back at a better price & at WSLB or something.
Letting CL go makes me very nervous but I agree -- we HAVE to fix the OL thru FA and there won't be any money to keep him. Here's hoping we can find LB "uncut" gems thru draft/FA. I have more confidence we can do that less expensively than OL FA's.
If we fix the OL, I'm not sure TG & MB are the problems -- I'm thinking that, with the turnstile at C, it forces our RB's to bounce outside, making them look more hesitant & slow. I wouldn't mind finding a "do-over" pick for Hendo.
I'm also thinking we need to address TE. I LOVE Mt. Everett, but when he's on the field we just seem so much more "defendable" -- somehow I don't think his "tells" have been fixed. We need to make him a "move only" TE & keep him & Higgs at 12 formations almost every play. If not, we need to make Ev a "move on" TE & get someone else. It's a serious problem, almost as much as having only 4 effective OL & a hole at C.
My only questions are at OLB/DE: if we go to a 4-3 alignment, who do we keep that's better as 4-3 DE's?? If I understand it, you've got Jefferson / Matthews as our 4-3 DE's. What happens to Obo & Fowler (assuming we keep him) in this scheme? Ebu? are these 3 guys our WSLB / SSLB's?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm always leery of Defensive Coordinators who had success with a head coach who has a good defensive track record. Pete Carroll could have played a big hand in helping with his Seattle defense. Seaside from that that defense was loaded when Quinn was there and they mainly played a straight cover 3 most of the time because they didn't have any glaring weaknesses.

I saw what Dan Quinn did with UF in 2012. He's legit. He made Muschamp look good.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice mock @jrry32. I'm sure there'll be more soon, but so far so good.
I'm nervous moving back to a 4-3, but I'm not sure how much success we've had so far under a 3-4 -- we just never seem to have the right OLB's/ILB's, and adding 4 to the DL would help Donald methinks. Might make us stouter against the run, not that we were that great against it with Donald/Brockers and AO at MLB. Always seemed to give up huge holes with pulling guards washing AO out. I'd only like to have AO back at a better price & at WSLB or something.

The 4-3 Under would have basically identical personnel to Wade's 3-4. If Alec returned, it would be as a Will. I don't like him as a Mike.

Letting CL go makes me very nervous but I agree -- we HAVE to fix the OL thru FA and there won't be any money to keep him. Here's hoping we can find LB "uncut" gems thru draft/FA. I have more confidence we can do that less expensively than OL FA's.
If we fix the OL, I'm not sure TG & MB are the problems -- I'm thinking that, with the turnstile at C, it forces our RB's to bounce outside, making them look more hesitant & slow. I wouldn't mind finding a "do-over" pick for Hendo.

Giving up on Henderson after a year would be a mistake imo.

I'm also thinking we need to address TE. I LOVE Mt. Everett, but when he's on the field we just seem so much more "defendable" -- somehow I don't think his "tells" have been fixed. We need to make him a "move only" TE & keep him & Higgs at 12 formations almost every play. If not, we need to make Ev a "move on" TE & get someone else. It's a serious problem, almost as much as having only 4 effective OL & a hole at C.

I must disagree on TE. Higbee is in the midst of a breakout. Everett has shown flashes. Mundt is a good enough #3 TE. We have enough positions to address. I'd leave that one alone (besides adding a UDFA or two to compete).

My only questions are at OLB/DE: if we go to a 4-3 alignment, who do we keep that's better as 4-3 DE's?? If I understand it, you've got Jefferson / Matthews as our 4-3 DE's. What happens to Obo & Fowler (assuming we keep him) in this scheme? Ebu? are these 3 guys our WSLB / SSLB's?

Fowler is gone. But if we kept him, he'd be a LEO. Matthews is a LEO. Obo is a LEO or a SOLB. Ebukam is a SOLB. Jefferson plays SDE and UT. Fox plays SDE and UT. SJD could play anywhere on the front, aside from LEO.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Jrry32,
Have you completely moved on from Brian Allen? Do you not think that he can improve enough going forward to compete for the job or is his goose cooked and he is what he is?

Thanks,
~ArkyRamsFan~

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jrry32,
Have you completely moved on from Brian Allen? Do you not think that he can improve enough going forward to compete for the job or is his goose cooked and he is what he is?

Thanks,
~ArkyRamsFan~

He'll have to win the job. I don't have much faith in him.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Ability is what I want. Like I said, I didn't want to like Harris because of his size, but he's perfect for our scheme.

If you get a chance take a look at Ruiz, he's bigger and important aspects of playing center at the next level include reach blocks of shades and down blocks that allow for guards to pull. Ruiz showed success on both of these blocks, allowing Michigan guards to play to their strengths.

Past the typical center blocks, one impressive aspect of Ruiz’s game comes in space. He can easily get on the edge and pick up blocks of pursuing defenders. His athleticism is part of the reason he was a highly ranked recruit and if Ruiz declares for the NFL Draft, I believe he would be a great pick in the 2nd round, but as always, JMHO.

You know how much I value your insight and we've had a few debates about taking size when everything else is the same, IMO, Ruiz is just as athletic and bigger, so I take the bigger player, but again that's just me.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you get a chance take a look at Ruiz, he's bigger and important aspects of playing center at the next level include reach blocks of shades and down blocks that allow for guards to pull. Ruiz showed success on both of these blocks, allowing Michigan guards to play to their strengths.

Past the typical center blocks, one impressive aspect of Ruiz’s game comes in space. He can easily get on the edge and pick up blocks of pursuing defenders. His athleticism is part of the reason he was a highly ranked recruit and if Ruiz declares for the NFL Draft, I believe he would be a great pick in the 2nd round, but as always, JMHO.

You know how much I value your insight and we've had a few debates about taking size when everything else is the same, IMO, Ruiz is just as athletic and bigger, so I take the bigger player, but again that's just me.

I'll take a look. Issue is that Ruiz might not be there. There's a lot of uncertainty around his stock. I've seen him rated as high as Round 1 and as low as Round 5.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jake Hanson from Oregon is another name at Center I've seen linked to us. I haven't seen anything of him other than he's another smallish center but they've turned out a few good OLinemen lately and I think have 3 looking to be drafted this year.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Well, this mock couldn't be more different than my own, and that's not a bad thing, but I don't see it getting us to the next level in 2020.
Some injury risk here with Woodward, Uche as a project choice feels like a luxury pick considering other needs, and Harris is another smallish Center unlikely to start as a rookie under McVay.
Quinton Jefferson is just Brockers lite imo, not really an upgrade.
I like Kirksey, but he's only started 9 games in 2 years, although that should keep his price tag down. I'm good with your other picks, but with only 5 draft picks total, i'm a bit perplexed at not seeing a trade or two to boost that number. Do you honestly believe this next off-season will be one where Snead stands pat ?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jake Hanson from Oregon is another name at Center I've seen linked to us. I haven't seen anything of him other than he's another smallish center but they've turned out a few good OLinemen lately and I think have 3 looking to be drafted this year.

He's a longer guy at 6'5" 305. Good technician. A bit heavy-legged and isn't overpowering at the POA. More of an angles blocker who uses skill to get guys blocked.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I cannot believe we have people wanting to dump NRC and Hill. Being a fan is short for fanatic, I get that - but it's not productive to carry personal bias all the way through to delusion.

NRC *could* be a cut to save some money if they like Ramsey/Hill/Long/Williams as the first four CBs, but I personally wouldn't do it. NRC is one of the best nickel CBs in the game and for some unknown reason, certain Rams fans can't see that. But getting rid of both makes zero sense.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like the mock. I would retain Fowler, but get the logic for not doing so here.

Also think we will have more cap space with the increase and could nab a few lower tier FAs.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I saw what Dan Quinn did with UF in 2012. He's legit. He made Muschamp look good.

He was good at Florida, good in Seattle, and good in Atlanta. Love Quinn. Glad to see you’re backing an idea like this

The pick I am most excited about is Antoine Winfield Jr.. he is a bit small but damn! Had no idea about this guy. Nice.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
If the Rams go with the same group of players for the offensive line, I may pass on the entire 2020 season. It’s their biggest downfall this year. They need two experienced vets even if Whitworth comes back. Relying on these unproven rookies cost them a playoff spot
...The biggest downfall was losing 2 of the 5 starters to IR for most of the season. Yes, they were just 2nd year players but we don't know how well the O-line would've gelled by the 2nd half of the season.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
...The biggest downfall was losing 2 of the 5 starters to IR for most of the season. Yes, they were just 2nd year players but we don't know how well the O-line would've gelled by the 2nd half of the season.

Losing two of the five starters on the OLine was the best thing to happen to this team. It forced the staff to realize that Demby wasn't as good as they thought. It also made acquiring some other options a must. Then what followed was a miracle. They booted Demby to the bench and played Corbett at LG, moved Bllythe back to Center (big improvement over Allen), played Evans and Edwards and bumped Brewer up to first man off the bench.

My earlier comment was directed at Allen, Noteboom and Blythe (at RG). I can understand using some of the late additions next year, but bringing back Joe N. And Allen as starters would be another failed experiment in faith. I'd still prefer at least one seasoned veteran minimum at C, RG, or RT. Leave Corbett next to Whitworth or try him at Center. Play Evans at RT . Make Brewer and Edwards the first men up as backups and figure which one best backs up Whitworth if he's back or competes with Noteboom for LT. Trade Havenstein for cap savings if possible and use him space to sign a good veteran RG to sandwich between a young Center and young RT.

That's one variation. Others work too. A vet Center would be okay instead of a vet RG. But the last thing I want to see is Blythe at RG, Allen at Center, and Noteboom at LG.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Dan Quinn DC dream RIP

Falcons HC Quinn and GM Dimitroff to return in 2020

Omnisport
27 Dec 2019, 06:50
Falcons HC Quinn and GM Dimitroff to return in 2020

The Atlanta Falcons will not make the NFL playoffs this season but Dan Quinn and Thomas Dimitroff will still be retained.
More
Head coach Dan Quinn and general manager Thomas Dimitroff will return to the Atlanta Falcons next season, the NFC South franchise have confirmed.
The 6-9 Falcons will miss the playoffs for the second straight campaign and will end this season with a losing record, regardless of whether they beat the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Week 17.
That had led to speculation about the futures of fifth-year head coach Quinn and GM Dimitroff, yet both men will retain their positions for 2020.
Quinn led Atlanta to Super Bowl LI in his second season only for the Falcons to squander a 28-3 lead against the New England Patriots, who won in overtime in Houston.
Dimitroff, a former front office member with the Patriots, became Atlanta's GM in 2008 and picked quarterback Matt Ryan with his first draft selection.
The Falcons have made the playoffs in six of the 12 seasons since Dimitroff was hired.
Having been 1-7 earlier this season, Atlanta have won five of their last seven since their Week 9 bye.
In a statement on Atlanta's website, owner Arthur Blank said: "After weighing several factors, including our team's statistical turnaround and our players' focus and effort the second half of the season, I feel the decision to retain Thomas and Dan, with [CEO] Rich [McKay] providing close day-to-day oversight of the football operation, will provide the timeliest route for the Atlanta Falcons to return to contention in 2020 and beyond."
Blank added: "In my time as owner, and particularly since 2008, we have been one of the winningest teams in the NFC - ranking fourth in wins and across the NFL, tied for seventh in wins, and that remains the only acceptable result for us now and in the future."
Former Buccaneers head coach Raheem Morris will be the team's defensive coordinator for next season.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I cannot believe we have people wanting to dump NRC and Hill. Being a fan is short for fanatic, I get that - but it's not productive to carry personal bias all the way through to delusion.

NRC *could* be a cut to save some money if they like Ramsey/Hill/Long/Williams as the first four CBs, but I personally wouldn't do it. NRC is one of the best nickel CBs in the game and for some unknown reason, certain Rams fans can't see that. But getting rid of both makes zero sense.

I think trading NRC makes sense. I'm not a fan of cutting him. But with Ramsey, Hill, Long, and D. Williams, NRC is expendable. But again, I see no reason to cut a quality starter.

Like the mock. I would retain Fowler, but get the logic for not doing so here.

Also think we will have more cap space with the increase and could nab a few lower tier FAs.

I don't want to go after too many lower tier FAs because it messes with the comp pick formulas.

Losing two of the five starters on the OLine was the best thing to happen to this team. It forced the staff to realize that Demby wasn't as good as they thought. It also made acquiring some other options a must. Then what followed was a miracle. They booted Demby to the bench and played Corbett at LG, moved Bllythe back to Center (big improvement over Allen), played Evans and Edwards and bumped Brewer up to first man off the bench.

My earlier comment was directed at Allen, Noteboom and Blythe (at RG). I can understand using some of the late additions next year, but bringing back Joe N. And Allen as starters would be another failed experiment in faith. I'd still prefer at least one seasoned veteran minimum at C, RG, or RT. Leave Corbett next to Whitworth or try him at Center. Play Evans at RT . Make Brewer and Edwards the first men up as backups and figure which one best backs up Whitworth if he's back or competes with Noteboom for LT. Trade Havenstein for cap savings if possible and use him space to sign a good veteran RG to sandwich between a young Center and young RT.

That's one variation. Others work too. A vet Center would be okay instead of a vet RG. But the last thing I want to see is Blythe at RG, Allen at Center, and Noteboom at LG.

I don't like the idea of trading Hav. He was a very good RT in 2018. We'd be selling low on him. I'd bring him back unless somebody blows me away with an offer. We can always trade him after 2020 if Evans is ready to step in and be the guy. But it never hurts to have OL depth. I'm curious if Evans could play OG in the interim.