Jrry32 Crazy Scenario - Stuck at #2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This will be my second to last mock. My final mock I'll take a bit more seriously and go a bit more in depth on the players. I'm mocking a scenario here if some of the media rumors come true and we're stuck at #2. Clowney goes #1. Also keep in mind that in this mock, Donald and Evans are drafted before Pick #13. There are no good trade down offers. Here is what I'd do in that situation.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #2 - Jake Matthews OT Texas A&M
Analysis:
I'm sticking to my board here. Matthews is the top player on my board after Clowney. He has no glaring flaws in his game and is a very polished player technically. There are some minor things that can be improved and I'm sure Boudreau will do it. Matthews is a highly intelligent and versatile player that can play every position on the OL for us. That will come in quite handy. He also is a outstanding athlete with quick feet, graceful movement skills, natural bend, excellent balance, and a wide base. At 6'6" 307, he has NFL LT size with the frame to add another 10 or so pounds (he looks like a TE...that's how impressive his build is). The worst things you can say about Matthews are that he has average arm length (33.4 inches) and he only has good power. Plug and play future Pro Bowler.

Round 1 Pick #13 - Teddy Bridgewater QB Louisville
Analysis:
This is why it's a "crazy" scenario. This won't please a few folks but I'm sticking to my board. With the media rumoring Bridgewater will drop, we scoop him up here. I would have taken him at #2 had we needed a starting QB. If Sam gets hurt or things don't workout, Bridgewater is the heir apparent. If they do, we trade him. Why Bridgewater? He commanded a West Coast Offense in college from the LOS. He called protections, audibles, hot routes, sight adjustments, dummy calls, etc. The kid wins with his mind. He wins by reading the defense pre/post-snap, throwing with anticipation and timing, and putting the ball where it needs to be. He wins with his elite pocket presence and movement. People that don't see it with Bridgewater will when he gets a chance in the NFL. Too much is made of what he doesn't have. Not enough is made of what he does have. What separates the JAGs and the HOFers is what is in between the ears. Teddy Bridgewater has it in between the ears.

Round 2 Pick #12 - LaMarcus Joyner FS/CB Florida State
Analysis:
Yes, Joyner is undersized but size shouldn't define the kid. He has heart, he plays aggressive, and he's amazingly strong for his size. Joyner is a chess piece on defense, you can move him around and use him however you please. You can play him back deep at FS and have him light guys up or make plays on the deep ball. You can bring him into the box and allow him to take on runners in the hole or blitz off the edge. You can move him into the slot and play him at CB. He's a gamer. He plays fast because of his explosive burst, he changes directions with ease, he has top notch instincts, and he's fearless. The kid plays football like his hair is on fire and I love it.

Round 3 Pick #11 - Jaylen Watkins CB/FS Florida
Analysis:
Another versatile player and we grab Watkins...just the other Watkins. Jaylen Watkins played FS, LCB, RCB, and SLCB for the Gators during his time there. He adds both safety and CB depth to the Rams secondary. He's a solid all around football player with NFL size and speed at 6'0" 195 with a faster electronic 40 time at the combine than his brother, Sammy.

Round 4 Pick #10 - Charles Sims HB West Virginia
Analysis:
I love what Stacy did in 2013 but he had issues with getting nicked up and I'm worried about his ability to stay healthy. Bennie looked solid but we really need a threat out of the back-field in the passing game. Sims is one of the best receivers out of the back-field in recent memory. He caught 203 passes in his college career including 70 receptions as a freshman. Sims has a soft pair of hands, great understanding of how to find a hole in the zone, runs good routes for a HB, and is even a good pass protector. He's an ideal 3rd down HB for us. But wait...there's more(had to do it)...Sims is a 6'0" 215 pound HB that ran a 4.4 40 at the combine. He is a slashing runner with some shake and bake. He's a natural change of pace from Stacy's bowling ball style of running. And if Stacy does get hurt, Sims has the size and ability to be a starting HB in his absence.

Round 5 Pick #13 - Brandon Thomas OG/OT Clemson
Analysis:
I would have taken Thomas in the second round before his injury. I'm willing to wait it out and put him on the PUP as a rookie. Thomas has excellent arm length along with the feet to play OT in the NFL. Ultimately, though, I think his best position is at OG. Thomas is a powerful guy with good athleticism. He uses his hands well and bends naturally. He'd be given time to develop under Boudreau as depth at OT and OG. And ultimately, he'd be our LG of the future.

Round 6 Pick #12 - Yawin Smallwood OLB Connecticut
Analysis:
I have a hard time believing that Smallwood is available here but NFL Draft Scout is rating him as a 5th to 6th round pick. If he is available, I run the card to the podium. While Smallwood has had a poor post-season in terms of measurables, his film is impressive. He fights off blockers using his length and is the best 4-3 OLB/3-4 ILB in this draft at stacking and shedding blockers. He also shows much better speed on film than the 5.0 40 he turned in at the combine and has the instincts and recognition to handle zone coverage in the NFL. However, he's a bit stiff and not overly sudden which can leave him exposed in space and man to man coverage. Still, he has a lot of potential as a 4-3 SLB than can stop the run.

Round 6 Pick Comp - Terrance Mitchell CB Oregon
Analysis:
Mitchell is a talented cover CB that falls this far because of his poor timed speed (4.63 electronic 40 at the combine). However, Mitchell is a natural cover CB that has quick feet, loose hips, and is sudden in short areas. I think he has a lot of potential to contribute to the team as a slot CB and could possibly even play FS if needed. He'd add depth to our secondary which sorely needs it.

Round 7 Pick #11 - Eric Thomas WR Troy
Analysis:
Personally, I think Thomas is extremely underrated. Thomas possesses NFL size at 6'1" 216 with a very thick lower body. His upper body still needs some development and he could easily play in the 220-225 range in the NFL. Thomas also possesses nearly 11 inch hands and uses them well to attack the ball away from his frame and at the highest point. While he lacks breakaway long speed, he has enough suddenness and burst to separate. His route running needs development but he's a big YAC threat due to his size, strength, and wiggle. At his Pro Day, he turned in a respectable 4.53 40.

Round 7 Pick #26 - Ryan Carrethers NT Arkansas State
Analysis:
Carrethers is a big, run stuffing DT to rotate behind Brockers and Langford. At 6'1" 340, Carrethers still managed to record 93 tackles his final year in college which was good for second on his team. He's active player that hustles which is rare for a big man. Carrethers even played a little bit of offense.

Round 7 Pick Comp - Matt Hall OT Belhaven
Analysis:
Being from Belhaven, I haven't seen Hall play but he's a 6'9" 325 pound OT with good arm length and solid workout numbers. Maybe worth a flier here?

Round 7 Pick Comp - Jeremy Gallon WR Michigan
Analysis:
I've had Gallon in a few other mocks of mine. He's one of my favorite late round players in this draft. He's a lot like the WR version of LaMarcus Joyner. He's very undersized but he plays the game with such passion, heart, and fearlessness. Gallon shows off soft, reliable hands and just seems to understand how to get open. He timed in the 4.4s in the 40 at the combine and was very productive at Michigan. Gallon reminds me a lot of Deion Branch.

Projected Starters
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Zac Stacy
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Stedman Bailey
ZWR: Tavon Austin
SLWR: Austin Pettis
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Jake Long
LG: Jake Matthews
C: Scott Wells
RG: Rodger Saffold
RT: Joe Barksdale

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Kendall Langford
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
SLCB: Jaylen Watkins
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker

Thoughts?

duckhunter

Starter
I really like the Matthews, Watkins, Sims, Mitchell, and Gallon picks.

During the season, Bridgewater was exceptional. Since the post season, I see too much of myself in him. That's a big red flag.

69superbowl

Rookie
Je;ry I like these picks. I'm just going to add that Trumaine Johnson has to move to safety in the next year or two. He reminds me of Ram great Johnnie Johnson. I'm hoping one of the new corners can step up late this year or early next and allow this switch. Nice draft.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The Matt Hall pick is interesting because I looked at him as a UDFA. He's strictly a right tackle; he even plays right tackle in college. But he's powerful, has long arms, and he dominated his competition.

No way Smallwood falls to the sixth round; someone will grab him before then. Too talented, even if his Combine measurables are bad.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I really like the Matthews, Watkins, Sims, Mitchell, and Gallon picks.

During the season, Bridgewater was exceptional. Since the post season, I see too much of myself in him. That's a big red flag.

You know me, Duck. I'm stubborn. If I don't see it on film, it's not going to change my evaluation.

@Memento Thanks for the info on Hall, I just liked the measurables and knew he played at Ole Miss.

duckhunter

Starter
You know me, Duck. I'm stubborn. If I don't see it on film, it's not going to change my evaluation.

@Memento Thanks for the info on Hall, I just liked the measurables and knew he played at Ole Miss.

I agree with you. That shootout between he and Bortles was the best college game I watched last year.

They're overrating the offseason carnival. Where it counts, on film, he was exceptional. I don't see him getting past the Vikings and Norv Turner.

Last edited:

laramsoriginal

Starter
I like this mock a lot with the exception of Teddy @13. Not because I think he won't be good but the rams have been saying Bradford is their man...so if he is "the man" go all in. Hedging your bet @ QB is a luxury the rams cannot afford. To many holes to fill.

The damn schedule Nazis are forcing the rams to go big or go home lol

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Really good mock, however, my hope would be to have Matthews at RT because IMO the Rams need to upgrade over Barksdale. Also I do like Thomas and would love the Rams to take him and wait, but IMO I would rather have another guard like Xavir Su'a-filo or Gabe Jackson, who can step in on day one.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like this mock a lot with the exception of Teddy @13. Not because I think he won't be good but the rams have been saying Bradford is their man...so if he is "the man" go all in. Hedging your bet @ QB is a luxury the rams cannot afford. To many holes to fill.

The damn schedule Nazis are forcing the rams to go big or go home lol

Not to mention the distraction. Sam has a bad game and idiots will start calling for a change. No thanks!

Agree; go all in. Or go home.

We need a starter at 13.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Really good mock, however, my hope would be to have Matthews at RT because IMO the Rams need to upgrade over Barksdale. Also I do like Thomas and would love the Rams to take him and wait, but IMO I would rather have another guard like Xavir Su'a-filo or Gabe Jackson, who can step in on day one.

Jackson and Su'a-Filo will be going significantly earlier. Barksdale is a solid starter at RT. We have nothing at LG. Gotta put your best 5 out there imo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not to mention the distraction. Sam has a bad game and idiots will start calling for a change. No thanks!

Agree; go all in. Or go home.

The idiots don't matter. Shouldn't influence drafting. Lets say Sam doesn't come back well from the knee. Or even worse, he gets injured again. Now we're stuck with no future at QB. I think Bridgewater is franchise QB material. If you have a shot at one, you take him unless you got yourself a HOFer. I like Sam. I believe in him. But we don't know if he can stay healthy and we don't know how he'll play coming back from his injury.

If a talent like Bridgewater falls that far, we have to take him. If Sam pans out, we trade Bridgewater. If he doesn't, we have a QB and don't have to worry about overpaying for one in the future.

laramsoriginal

Starter
Rams would never get back the value of a 13th overall selection if they did trade teddy in the future.

If you draft Teddy then its because the team will be cutting the cord with sam due to his play and contract.

Rams have married themselves to Bradford. Go all in, you have to now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams would never get back the value of a 13th overall selection if they did trade teddy in the future.

If you draft Teddy then its because the team will be cutting the cord with sam due to his play and contract.

Rams have married themselves to Bradford. Go all in, you have to now.

If Kevin Kolb can return a 2nd and DRC, the Rams can get plenty of value for Bridgewater if he shows himself to be a talented QB.

laramsoriginal

Starter
If Kevin Kolb can return a 2nd and DRC, the Rams can get plenty of value for Bridgewater if he shows himself to be a talented QB.

In your scenario yiu said rams could trade Teddy meaning Bradford proves he is the man at QB and remained healthy. So how do team assess Teddy's talent in the NFL if he doesn't get prolonged game minutes?

Teams would not give up a top 15 pick for Teddy in 2015 or 2016. Most hypothetical scenarios are better in theory than in practice.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In your scenario yiu said rams could trade Teddy meaning Bradford proves he is the man at QB and remained healthy. So how do team assess Teddy's talent in the NFL if he doesn't get prolonged game minutes?

Teams would not give up a top 15 pick for Teddy in 2015 or 2016. Most hypothetical scenarios are better in theory than in practice.

Pre-season. Garbage time. Pre-Draft scouting. Play if Sam gets injured. Same ways guys like Matt Schaub, Rob Johnson, etc. were evaluated.

ausmurp

Starter
i like it. You shored up OL, FS and HB. Of course it would've been nice to shore up WR but as you said Evans is gone. I kind of hope we pick WR at #2 even Evans. Then OL at #13. Then your picks. But I do like Bridgewater at #13 if he is as good as you think he is. I honestly think you should be a real NFL scout, you've hit on more players than Rams scouts do lol.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It will be interesting to see how Teddy does. Personally, I just don't see him being all that at the next level. I like the rest of it.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
If a talent like Bridgewater falls that far, we have to take him. If Sam pans out, we trade Bridgewater. If he doesn't, we have a QB and don't have to worry about overpaying for one in the future.

I agree, nothing wrong with having some insurance or tradable chips.