Josh Reynolds finds rare WR4 role in McVay's offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
usatsi_11933771.jpg

By: Steve Rebeiro | 2 hours ago

Sean McVay was known to use the same personnel on nearly all of the Rams’ offensive snaps during his first two years as head coach of the team. They would typically trot out three wide receivers, one running back, and one tight end, commonly known as “11” personnel.
Last season, the three receivers rarely subbed out, and other receivers rarely saw the field. Reynolds saw this first hand. He played on just 3.3% of snaps against the Saints in Week 9 when Cooper Kupp was healthy. After Kupp went down with an injury, Reynolds stepped up and played 97% of the snaps against Kansas City in Week 11.

It seems like McVay is finally switching things up in 2019. The big three dominated the snaps as usual: Kupp, Robert Woods, and Brandin Cooks all played between 90-95% of the team’s offensive snaps on Sunday. This time, Reynolds didn’t watch the game from the pine. He was on the field for 32% of the snaps.
The Rams began to sprinkle in “10” personnel, which replaces the tight end with a fourth receiver. They used that personnel grouping 15 times Sunday, or 27 percent, per Sharp Football. Two major reasons can be cited for the change: The notion that teams may have began to figure out McVay’s classic 11 personnel offense, and that Josh Reynolds simply earned some playing time while Kupp was out.
Unfortunately for Reynolds, the team was far less successful running 10 personnel. The offense averaged just 1.8 yards out of the formation, compared to 5.4 out of their usual 11 personnel, according to Vincent Bonsignore of The Athletic. Reynolds may shoulder some of that blame. He failed to haul in either of his two targets on the day, and one of the missed targets was a drop on a wide-open short pass.
Don’t expect the Rams to completely phase out 10 personnel after one game. Reynolds is too talented to simply not play. It will take some time to find a groove in the personnel, but the Rams do need to switch things up occasionally with their sets on the field.

Keep a close eye on when Reynolds trots onto the field for the Rams on Sunday against the Saints. The pressure will be on for him to produce if he wants to keep a spot in the rotation.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I still see him as trade bait if the right offer comes around. jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
NFL.....not for long if he has another showing against the Saints like he had this past Sunday. WR's Thomas & Webster might have something to say about it.

The Saints defensive secondary is not as good as its front seven. The Rams using four WR's on snaps would reveal this weakness even more.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I use to like when Martz would say; we believe our fourth best WR is better than your forth best DB.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wanted DK Metcalf in the draft for a big target. I hope he doesn't haunt us for the next 10 years

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
It's too early to tell as 10 personal groupings could have been something McVay just wanted to try out against a dominant defense. Clearly, it did not work.

:unsure:

Personally, I think we're getting too cute. Our base offense works as long as we have a running back who is capable of running a wide zone, catching screen passes and pass blocking.

Does anyone know if RB3 Henderson can pass block?

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I think it was too early to bring out 10 personnel, clearly our guys were a little Rusty as they were last year against the Raiders. Except we weren't playing the Raiders. I expect to see it sprinkled in and when they get in a rhythm he'll let them go no huddle to see what they can do.
It's not like Mcvay has never Ran 10 personnel before.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Reynolds had a poor game. Hopefully, he bounces back and plays well against NO. Frankly, I'd be interested in seeing Everett get more opportunities.

fearsomefour

Legend
NFL.....not for long if he has another showing against the Saints like he had this past Sunday. WR's Thomas & Webster might have something to say about it.

The Saints defensive secondary is not as good as its front seven. The Rams using four WR's on snaps would reveal this weakness even more.
He had a couple of drops. Bad game.
He isn’t going to be swapped out that quickly. He stepped up last year in a big way when the Rams needed him. There is a level of trust there I would think.
That said, the Rams can do a lot of that position....Thomas, Webster, either of the TEs.
The Rams have depth at every O position (except OL).....a rare thing.
Would like to see McVay make good on his 2 back set at some time. Although that is probably doubtful.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
He had a couple of drops. Bad game.
He isn’t going to be swapped out that quickly. He stepped up last year in a big way when the Rams needed him. There is a level of trust there I would think.
That said, the Rams can do a lot of that position....Thomas, Webster, either of the TEs.
The Rams have depth at every O position (except OL).....a rare thing.
Would like to see McVay make good on his 2 back set at some time. Although that is probably doubtful.
Fact is his best game of his young NFL career came against the Saints in the NFC Championship game Josh outplayed their Mike Thomas;)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If JRey is indeed a starter he should look good in 10 personnel. I mean at that point he's drawing the other team's fourth best coverage option. So I hope if this continues that he'll start producing.

One game through yet another season and Everett seems to be an afterthought. With all the hoopla we heard about him in camp I would hope he also starts to push for playing time. In this offense you gotta perform if you want snaps.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Maybe we held back the double TE packages, so the Aints have zero film leading up to the big week 2 match up. Just a thought. Furthermore if JRey caught those 2 targets dare I say we would hear everyone say we need to use 10 personnel "more".. OL will tell us if we can run it more.

Saints won ugly too. Its week 1 and both teams still scored 30 pts.
Our inside the hash marks DEF needs to be better if we want to take the next step. Just my 2 cents

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Reynolds had a poor game. Hopefully, he bounces back and plays well against NO. Frankly, I'd be interested in seeing Everett get more opportunities.
I think they should target TEs at least twice as much as this past weekend. It should be something a defense thinks about on every play. It would open up our 3 wr sets even more.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
If JRey is indeed a starter he should look good in 10 personnel. I mean at that point he's drawing the other team's fourth best coverage option. So I hope if this continues that he'll start producing.

One game through yet another season and Everett seems to be an afterthought. With all the hoopla we heard about him in camp I would hope he also starts to push for playing time. In this offense you gotta perform if you want snaps.
Which evertte has

WestCoastRam

Legend
I would not be shocked if having Reynolds on the field means it's easier to run some of the zone beating concepts than with guys like Higbee and Everett.

Plus they may like the matchup of Reynolds as a receiver/blocker vs a 4th DB/safety. The +/- of Reynolds and blocking vs a 4th DB or receiving vs a safety may offer a greater benefit at times than our TEs.

That is... if he can catch the ball.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wanted DK Metcalf in the draft for a big target. I hope he doesn't haunt us for the next 10 years
He might..But we can relax by drinking mint juleps from several Lombardi trophies that are lying around (trophy case is already packed)

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Maybe we held back the double TE packages, so the Aints have zero film leading up to the big week 2 match up. Just a thought. Furthermore if JRey caught those 2 targets dare I say we would hear everyone say we need to use 10 personnel "more".. OL will tell us if we can run it more.

Saints won ugly too. Its week 1 and both teams still scored 30 pts.
Our inside the hash marks DEF needs to be better if we want to take the next step. Just my 2 cents

I REALLY hope so. I would LOVE for us to run out of the power set and just blast them in the first half, keeping it close and tiring them out... and then just bomb then in the 2nd half with long TE pass after long TE pass and just blow them out of the Coliseum...