Josh McDainels Could Leave

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Todd Haley has been fired in KC. Josh is rumored to be the top choice to replace him

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Im just suprised it happened this soon. Even Haley couldnt get a pass after taking the team to the playoffs last year and having to deal with key injuries this season. I guess there were issues with him and Pioli. I also think theres a good chance that Raheem Morris could be out in Tampa soon. That could be 2 HC's that lead their teams to a 10-6 record last year when they werent expected to, and now they are struggling this year. Amazing. It also does not make me feel good about Spags at all, and im not even sure if he makes it till the end of the season. Ugh.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think Haley had more to do with the fact his players don't respond to him. He yells and screams and acts like a baby, treats his players like 5 year olds, etc. Which is why McDaniels is an interesting choice, he screams a lot too, they're similar in a lot of ways. I would think they want someone more level headed and calm, with experience.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
How funny would that be...2 years in a row an OC from a sub .500 team gets a HC gig.

It would be even more funny if McD did get the HC job, and Haley gets hired here as OC.

They could meet in the middle of Missouri and ask for directions to KC and STL. LOL.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Angry Ram said:
How funny would that be...2 years in a row an OC from a sub .500 team gets a HC gig.

It would be even more funny if McD did get the HC job, and Haley gets hired here as OC.

They could meet in the middle of Missouri and ask for directions to KC and STL. LOL.

I recommend the Applebee"s in Columbia. Easy access from the interstate and you just cant beat the Thursday $ 6.99 ribeye special.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
JdashSTL said:
Im just suprised it happened this soon. Even Haley couldnt get a pass after taking the team to the playoffs last year and having to deal with key injuries this season. I guess there were issues with him and Pioli. I also think theres a good chance that Raheem Morris could be out in Tampa soon. That could be 2 HC's that lead their teams to a 10-6 record last year when they werent expected to, and now they are struggling this year. Amazing. It also does not make me feel good about Spags at all, and im not even sure if he makes it till the end of the season. Ugh.

Yeah it really shows how important "winning now" has become. Teams are not allowed to take a step back without consequences. Spags is definitely in jeopardy.

I think Sapgs and Morris should be kept as HC on their respective teams. If Spags gets the boot, IMO we should consider Morris as a replacement. I love the way he conducts himself and his business.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
JdashSTL said:

If patience was yard markers they would be playing on a plain green field.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
bluecoconuts said:
I think Haley had more to do with the fact his players don't respond to him. He yells and screams and acts like a baby, treats his players like 5 year olds, etc. Which is why McDaniels is an interesting choice, he screams a lot too, they're similar in a lot of ways. I would think they want someone more level headed and calm, with experience.

Haley just looks pissed off all the time. McD is the young guy that gets super pissed at the refs but he will be really fired up and happy when his team makes a big play.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
libertadrocks said:
JdashSTL said:

Yeah it really shows how important "winning now" has become. Teams are not allowed to take a step back without consequences. Spags is definitely in jeopardy.

I think Sapgs and Morris should be kept as HC on their respective teams. If Spags gets the boot, IMO we should consider Morris as a replacement. I love the way he conducts himself and his business.

I too would like to keep him. But they got to get him more players and he has to not cut the ones they give him.
Even now if they could ever get a 4th quarter lead this would be a top 10 defense. and that's with a good portion of the team being signed away from the local McDonalds this year.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
libertadrocks said:
JdashSTL said:

I cant figure out what is going on in Tampa, but I dont see how any HC keeps his job after giving up 41 points to a bad Jacksonville team, and how many games have they lost in a row now? Not looking good for him. Spags, Haley, and Morris were hired as HCs in 2009, and now they could all be out after this season.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
McD is NOT the favorite to get that job at all. Only names I have heard mentioned so far were Cower and possibly a top college coach.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
JdashSTL said:
libertadrocks said:
JdashSTL said:

I cant figure out what is going on in Tampa, but I dont see how any HC keeps his job after giving up 41 points to a bad Jacksonville team, and how many games have they lost in a row now? Not looking good for him. Spags, Haley, and Morris were hired as HCs in 2009, and now they could all be out after this season.

You gotta think though, those were three of the toughest gigs to inherit and those jobs all go to three guys with 0 head coaching experience, odds were kind of stacked against them. Both KC and STL turned over their front offices, and it shows just how out of touch the billionaire guy that runs Tampa is.

Morris also seems to be a lot like Spags. Players all respond to him really well, from everything I've read he has the team behind him and the young guys all really love playing for him. He might just be outmatched. Maybe Freeman isn't all he was cracked up to be last year?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Just in case there's any confusion on this....

Almost ALL football coaches scream at their players. Football coaches who don't scream are rare.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Faceplant said:
McD is NOT the favorite to get that job at all. Only names I have heard mentioned so far were Cower and possibly a top college coach.

McD is definitely the favorite. He has ties to the GM, Pioli, from NE. The Chiefs also would like to keep Romeo as the DC. The organization feels like hiring McD is one way to accomplish that.

I have heard his name thrown out by several media sources, all of which claim inside sources

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Mike Sando
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/36923/would-chiefs-target-rams-josh-mcdaniels" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/ ... -mcdaniels</a>

Todd Haley's firing from the Kansas City Chiefs pushes St. Louis Rams offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels into the spotlight as a potential replacement.

Last offseason, the Rams lost coordinator Pat Shurmur to Cleveland largely because Browns president Mike Holmgren knew and trusted Shurmur.

McDaniels' strong ties to Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli make him a person to watch even though the Rams' offense has averaged fewer than one touchdown per game.

The Chiefs named no replacement for Haley in announcing the firing. McDaniels is in Seattle for the Rams' Monday night game against the Seahawks. He worked with Pioli in New England. McDaniels was the New England Patriots' offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach when the team went 10-5 with current Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel in the lineup.

The fact that two people worked together in the past doesn't necessarily make them a match. But if the Chiefs wanted to stick with Cassel, McDaniels could make sense for them.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
libertadrocks said:
Faceplant said:

McD is definitely the favorite. He has ties to the GM, Pioli, from NE. The Chiefs also would like to keep Romeo as the DC. The organization feels like hiring McD is one way to accomplish that.

I have heard his name thrown out by several media sources, all of which claim inside sources

Agree to disagree, haha. I guess we will find out in the next couple of months. Not sure McD has done anything to warrant another HC job, but you're right, there are ties there. Wonder who our next OC would be. Do we hire Chilly and go back to the WCO??

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Faceplant said:
libertadrocks said:
Faceplant said:

Agree to disagree, haha. I guess we will find out in the next couple of months. Not sure McD has done anything to warrant another HC job, but you're right, there are ties there. Wonder who our next OC would be. Do we hire Chilly and go back to the WCO??

Agreed, but I didnt think Shurmur did enough to warrant a HC job. The things working in McDs favor is his history with Matt Cassel, his ties to Pioli, and some of his draft picks looking good in Denver now. It shows that he didnt leave Denver in a complete mess that they wouldnt recover from for a while. You could flip that around and just give all the credit to the current coaching staff, but McD was ripped for their drafting and now those players are looking good.

I have no idea what direction we could move in if McD leaves. Do we find someone else with knowledge of the Pats offense? Do we go back to the WCO? Its a tough call.

Heres a potential HC candidate that could be a hot commodity in the offseason: Rob Chudzinski. He is doing tremendous work with Cam Newton and the Panthers offense. He could be an interesting candidate for teams wanting a offensive minded HC.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: Todd Haley fired......guess his .432 win pct wasn't enou

Cool story bro.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
libertadrocks said:
Todd Haley has been fired in KC. Josh is rumored to be the top choice to replace him

That's not the way I heard it. What I heard on ESPN was that McD was among a "list" of possible candidates, that's a long way from being a "top choice". In fact, and this is just my opinion, but I don't see a chance in hell McD becomes a HC next year any place. I mean, what exactly has he done to distinguish himself this year? :whome?:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
JdashSTL said:

If the Rams get embarrassed tonight, I don't think Spags sees next Sunday in the Lou!