Jonah Williams DE/OLB IMO will make this team

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
The guy to watch is Jonah Williams this kid is legit. He's my dark horse to make this team. I was pointed to this guy by a friend who sent me a scouting report from one of the major services. But he sent a link to Jonah's Pro Day. The report had a second-day draft grade on him. After watching his Pro Day I was really impressed. Watching his game vides only confirmed that this kid is a baller. The comment from my friend was that he thought Okoronkwo was gone if Williams impresses. Williams has good length and excellent speed for the position as an edge player. His game vids show he can shed blocks and can set a hard edge. He's bigger, faster, stronger, and more polished than Okoronkwo. Williams can play DE, or OLB because he's fast enough to play in coverage which makes him a perfect scheme fit to play behind Ebukam. Williams has the athleticism to cover but he lacks the coaching to polish those skills.

An interesting part of the report said he had positional tryouts as a TE and showed good speed and excellent hands.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lRWzroWdTE

This kid in a normal draft probably would have gone on the second day IMO. He's a steal as a UDFA. Is he a positional threat to Okoronkwo? Yes and no because it depends upon where they see him playing. Ebukam is a UFA next year and is likely to draw a lot of interest. If they groom Williams to play behind Ebukam this year they will have some insurance. If they resign Ebukam next year then IMO yes he's a threat to Okoronkwo. It's going to come down to a numbers game and in my opinion, Williams offers them a far better and more versatile player than Okoronkwo.

Watch his ProDay those are some impressive numbers. He checks almost all the boxes to play DE/OLB in this scheme.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The guy to watch is Jonah Williams this kid is legit. He's my dark horse to make this team. I was pointed to this guy by a friend who sent me a scouting report from one of the major services. But he sent a link to Jonah's Pro Day. The report had a second-day draft grade on him. After watching his Pro Day I was really impressed. Watching his game vides only confirmed that this kid is a baller. The comment from my friend was that he thought Okoronkwo was gone if Williams impresses. Williams has good length and excellent speed for the position as an edge player. His game vids show he can shed blocks and can set a hard edge. He's bigger, faster, stronger, and more polished than Okoronkwo. Williams can play DE, or OLB because he's fast enough to play in coverage which makes him a perfect scheme fit to play behind Ebukam. Williams has the athleticism to cover but he lacks the coaching to polish those skills.

I appreciate the insight, but this is very optimistic. Williams played at Weber State (FCS school). In 54 games as a starter, he posted 194 tackles, 28 TFLs, 15 sacks, and 3 FFs. Obo Okoronkwo played at Oklahoma. In 26 games as a starter, he posted 146 tackles, 29 TFLs, 16 sacks, and 5 FFs (and won Big 12 DPOY as a Senior). Simply put, Obo vastly outproduced Williams against vastly better competition. It's hard to believe that Williams is bigger, faster, stronger, AND more polished but did worse against worse competition. Sorry, dude, but I'd bet against that. Williams is certainly bigger, though. Also, it's worth noting that Williams and Obo are about the same age (both were born in 1995) because Williams went on a mission during college.

Williams may well stick here. His Pro Day numbers are impressive if accurate (the accuracy of Pro Day numbers are in question this year because of how inflated quite a few were in the absence of NFL teams). But I think you're overstating his current skill-set. Coming out of OU, Okoronkwo was quick, explosive, surprisingly strong for his size, and a very savvy pass rusher. I also doubt that Williams is going to play OLB for us at 281 pounds. He'll either slim down and play OLB or add a few pounds and play DE. My guess is he plays DE.

This kid in a normal draft probably would have gone on the second day IMO.

If that were true, he'd have been drafted.

He's a steal as a UDFA.

That might well prove to be true.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Highly doubt that Jonah Williams will make the team, but unless he blows it, he'll make the practice squad, along with Mike Hoecht, who has similar measurables.

Also, @oldnotdead , neither Williams not Hoecht are outside linebackers.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
He is Morgan Fox 2.0, but improved... Higher upside. So yes I think he can stick, but i see him more as a DL like Fox has been.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Highly doubt that Jonah Williams will make the team, but unless he blows it, he'll make the practice squad, along with Mike Hoecht, who has similar measurables.

Also, @oldnotdead , neither Williams not Hoecht are outside linebackers.
Hoecht is 6-4 300... He could be a late bloomer that might surprise as a pas rushing DT.

dang

Legend
Cooper Kupp and Samson Ebukam came from little old FCS-level EWU. So you never know.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He has a chance to make the PS but doubt anything more than that. Camp body though I wouldn't mind being surprised by his performance.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Gotta see em on the field. Obo had some nice plays for us last year. Interested to see what he does in our new scheme, I think Brandon likes to blitz more than Wade, and Obo gets after it.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Love these threads @oldnotdead keep them coming this is what it's all about finding an UDFA we like and projecting him onto the roster and where he fits. Overall Williams is an impressive athlete and Obo Okoronkwo needs to stay healthy because when Okoronkwo has been healthy, he's been very active, but if there is a preseason and Williams gets reps and opens some eyes anything can happen as @oldnotdead will prove to be a prophet giving Jonah Williams more than a Whale's chance to make the final 55.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Love these threads @oldnotdead keep them coming this is what it's all about finding an UDFA we like and projecting him onto the roster and where he fits. Overall Williams is an impressive athlete and Obo Okoronkwo needs to stay healthy because when Okoronkwo has been healthy, he's been very active, but if there is a preseason and Williams gets reps and opens some eyes anything can happen as @oldnotdead will prove to be a prophet giving Jonah Williams more than a Whale's chance to make the final 55.
Few things on Og Okoronkwo IMO he is far more 3 point DE than stand up OLB in this 34 D in his style of his play. He is one tough assignment for any tall lanky OT. Once or if preseason ever comes in it's going to be interesting to see how our new DC utilizes his special talent.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My surprise makes this year are
Marquise Copeland DL
and
Josh Love QB.

I like Copeland quite a bit, but I like Bryce Perkins much better then Josh Love. Perkins can run and did improved his passing, so I'm interested to see what he can offer as to Josh Love, I don't think he offers anything different rather than being a tad short and does not have a big time arm.

fearsomefour

Legend
I like Copeland quite a bit, but I like Bryce Perkins much better then Josh Love. Perkins can run and did improved his passing, so I'm interested to see what he can offer as to Josh Love, I don't think he offers anything different rather than being a tad short and does not have a big time arm.
Could be right.
Love is a gamer.
Scrappy.
But then so is Wolford I guess.
I personally don’t give a toss about a running QB.
Can he throw in time related to the route.
He is accurate?
Can he throw guys open?
Does he have any ability to adjust to defenses and move in the pocket?
Then arm strength.
Then athleticism.
But, that’s just me.