Jonah Jackson impressed by Steve Avila's move to center: 'He's doing incredible'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame

Avila's played a lot more center than guard albeit in college.

So this transition should be easier than last years. He even said himself he was moving back
home to center

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
That was the year I went from a social drinking to spiraling alcoholic and seeking mental health assistance. Things are much better now. Sarcasm attached.
That's when I really felt guilty about making my son a Rams fan. Born in 98' he really didn't start watching or at least getting a good understanding football until about the 2004 wildcard season...followed by 12 seasons of misery.

Thank God for McVay for bringing him some joy when watching football.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
That's when I really felt guilty about making my son a Rams fan. Born in 98' he really didn't start watching or at least getting a good understanding football until about the 2004 wildcard season...followed by 12 seasons of misery.

Yeah, my son was born in 96, so same deal. We have so much fun watching the Rams together these days.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

At one point, my son said he was going to be a Falcons fan. He liked the name and colors. I told him that if the Rams play the Falcons, we’d be rooting against each others teams. He didn’t like that idea, so he picked the Rams. Then the Rams picked AD and my kid was hooked.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This is our first big brute center since the early Fisher days.
I could see it making a big difference overall come game day.
Who was the center that you are talking about?
We’ve got a pretty stacked interior!
Hope it all comes together with two new pieces at new spots.

Rams OL duo ranked among best groups by PFF​

The Los Angeles Rams have invested plenty of resources into rebuilding their offensive line over the last two seasons, drafting four linemen in the last two drafts, as well as executing a trade for guard Kevin Dotson and luring Jonah Jackson out of Detroit in free agency this year.

Their efforts have borne fruit, as their line catapulted them into a successful 2023 season, paving the way for RB Kyren Williams to finish third in the league in rushing yards despite missing four games.

Their guard duo, armed with new, lucrative contracts, ranked as one of the best in the league by Pro Football Focus.

Here's what PFF had to say about both Jackson and Dotson.

Kevin Dotson, their 12th-ranked guard:

"Dotson is a prime example of a player having the potential to flourish in the right system. Moving to Sean McVay’s wide-zone scheme unlocked a different side of Dotson’s game in 2023, and his 85.2 PFF overall grade placed second only to Chris Lindstrom, while his 88.8 run-blocking grade led the NFL.

His performances in 2023 earned him a mega three-year, $48 million contract extension with the Rams in the offseason, and for good reason. Dotson allowed 20 quarterback pressures in pass protection, providing the perfect interior presence for Matthew Stafford.
:"

On Jonah Jackson, their 30th-ranked guard:

"Jackson struggled with injuries in his four years with the Lions, but he’s been a starter in every game he’s played in. The four-year veteran earned a 61.0 PFF overall grade in 12 games this past year, including four with a pass-blocking grade of at least 80.0. Now, Jackson has signed a hefty three-year, $51 million contract with the Los Angeles Rams and will hope to help improve an improving offensive line. That can happen if he stays healthy."

The duo was ranked as the sixth-best guard duo in the NFL.

I am a little surprised at the overall ranking of the two guards. Both Dotson and Jackson had better production than most of the players listed ahead of them, according to PFF's own numbers but I digress. The Rams' investments into the middle of their line have led to a revamped offense and should keep them chugging along as the season goes on.
Wide zone scheme pfft. I like PFF and they do seem to have some high regard for McVay, Stafford, Kupp, AD, etc…. But how do they get this wrong? My guess is some intern was told to write this up. London and Palazolo know what the Rams run scheme was last year.

AppeasFBlGods

Rookie
Curious...why is it so important to "ID the Mike linebackers". Anyone know?
Teams identify the mike because blocking schemes are usually setup for a number of players on the strong and weak sides to match up with the number of potential rushers. The mike linebacker is the dividing line between sides.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I had to look it up but I was thinking of Rob Turner.
But he was only about 310. Still he had a nice big healthy gut, unlike these 300 pounders we've been running out there.
I can't remember having a big C since Bern Brostek, who back then, at 300 lbs, was considered huge for a center. The Rams just fell apart around that time when he was drafted in 90'.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I can't remember having a big C since Bern Brostek, who back then, at 300 lbs, was considered huge for a center. The Rams just fell apart around that time when he was drafted in 90'.
I remember The Rams signing Brown from like Carolina ? What a waste & disaster. Ram Fans complain about Notebooms contract.He was signed as a LT.
—Wait till 2025 & see what happens at LT next season ? I’m just saying,looking into the future as well.

Being PhillyRam I wanted The Rams to trade up for Dickerson out of Alabama.Even though he was questionable because of injury & size that he would be a good guard like Steve Avila was last season.
-Yes we all know when The Rams picked & Dickerson never made it to The Rams there was Creed who has won 2(rings). I’m cheering for Tutu to have an excellent season.
-
What The Rams have done upfront is pretty (excellent) Kool.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I remember The Rams signing Brown from like Carolina ? What a waste & disaster.
If you are referring to Jamon Brown, he was a 2015 draft pick by the St Louis Rams.
He never really panned out or impressed anybody despite the Rams giving him every opportunity.
One round earlier the Rams took Rob Havenstein, who worked out very VERY well.
I'll never forget one scouts write up that said that Havenstein could be a 10-year mainstay at right tackle, and only be a RT.
One of the most accurate scouting reports I ever read. :)

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I can't remember having a big C since Bern Brostek, who back then, at 300 lbs, was considered huge for a center.
I remember a reporter asking John Robinson if he was worried about drafting Bern Brostek knowing that he had back problems in college.

Reporter; "What about Brostek's back?"

Robinson; "It's a big one", gesturing with his hands about 2 ft apart. :)

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
If you are referring to Jamon Brown, he was a 2015 draft pick by the St Louis Rams.
He never really panned out or impressed anybody despite the Rams giving him every opportunity.
I'll never forget one scouts write up that said that Havenstein could be a 10-year mainstay at right tackle, and only be a RT.
He’s talking about Jason Brown who played with Baltimore before the Rams.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
He is talking about the guy from Baltimore...Jason Brown? I think that was his name.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Solid report- the Rob Havenstien was a classic way Les Snead use to work.Sean Mcvay & Les use some of that same logic,but don’t do it in a bundle of positions.They pick a player slot.

The Rob Draft pick was Les Snead trading back to a spot & drafting the player he liked at where we thought he could draft him & get an extra draft pick.(s)

Here is Jason Brown- he played for the Ravens. https://www.nfl.com/news/rams-sign-...rown-to-five-year-37-5m-deal-09000d5d80efe0a4

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I had totally forgotten about that Fisher o-line disaster Jason Brown.
I probably needed to, to preserve my sanity.
I've never seen anybody worse at trying to build an offensive line than Jeff Fisher.
Scott Wells.
Jake Long.
Jason Brown.
Greg Robinson.
And a sorted collection of inept clowns.
I still have PTSD from that disaster.
You'll notice that's the first thing that Sean McVay did when he got here.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Maybe we'll have two 1,000 yard rushers this season, because of the interior OL?
1718407116051.png