John Sullivan and his impact to the Rams.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I know a number of fans in the offseason were chomping at the bit for that guy (Groy?) to be signed, but I really do think that Sullivan has been a solidifying rock on the O-line for the Rams, the guy seems to be smart and a bit of a bruiser at the same time, I'm sure that having him under centre has helped the development of Goff into the QB he is this season.

There are a number of times on the short goal line runs this year where I've seen him manhandle D-lines and then physically push Gurley over that line, I saw it again against the Giants.

View: https://youtu.be/j-fXyEQSEyw

I just love the fact that our o-line is a totally legitimate unit this year.

I know Kromer has done an outstanding job - and I will hold my hand up and say this was the signing I wasn't sure of (initially). Sure is as plain as night and day the difference from last year...

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I liked the signing initially, even if I was disappointed we couldn't snag Groy from the Bills. I figure that Sullivan would at least be better than Barnes. Well, he has been and then some. I always respected Sullivan from his days in Minnesota and he may not be the pro-bowler he was there, but he's pretty damn close. Well above league average. Pair that with his intangibles and he has been one of the best bargain signings of the off-season.

Psycho_X

Legend
I thought he'd be a simple stop gap but now I'm hoping he sticks around for a while longer. Great signing.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
eff Groy!....did you see the Canadian center on the Giants? UDFA I believe.....man, he was driving Smart all over the field.

Sully has been pretty nice....Barnes was killing us.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
eff Groy!....did you see the Canadian center on the Giants? UDFA I believe.....man, he was driving Smart all over the field.Sully has been pretty nice....Barnes was killing us.
Smart may need a year to add some power to his game. I sure like what I see from NT Tyrunn Walker myself. He is a solid load to block. I would like to see Walker get a new contract too. He is a UFA in less than 4 months like Sully.

Center Johns Sullivan needs a new contract ASAP

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Smart may need a year to add some power to his game. I sure like what I see from NT Tyrunn Walker myself. He is a solid load to block. I would like to see Walker get a new contract too. He is a UFA in less than 4 months like Sully.

Walker is a beast. Every time he's on the field he seems to be in the mix. I like Smart but I think he's a better pass rusher than run stuffer. He gets moved too easily. I expect him to get stronger as he ages. Hopefully AD can get him playing like a mini-me.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

totally agree....

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Sullivan got an assist on Gurley’s TD run up the middle. The run had been held up slightly until Sullivan pushed Gurley and the pile into the end zone.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
No surprise, excellent coaching by Kromer will put your average linemen in a position to succeed. Have to measure O-line by how well they mesh with other linemen and their IQ on picking up blocking assignments.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

During the Giants game, I thought Smart was just too small. They need a wide body in there when Walker isn't. I good lane clogger should be on the needs list this off-season. Smart looks like more of a DE.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Totally agree with you, I think Smart has got a bright future, but can add some power to his game, not sure he's a NT - as for Walker and Sullivan - sign me up on that extension!!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Sullivan got an assist on Gurley’s TD run up the middle. The run had been held up slightly until Sullivan pushed Gurley and the pile into the end zone.

Thats what I loved seeing, he physically moved the whole throng of players...

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
No surprise, excellent coaching by Kromer will put your average linemen in a position to succeed. Have to measure O-line by how well they mesh with other linemen and their IQ on picking up blocking assignments.

Kromer definitely deserves high praise, but also McVay for putting this amazing coaching staff together - I do hope that this group stay together for a long time!!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
During the Giants game, I thought Smart was just too small. They need a wide body in there when Walker isn't. I good lane clogger should be on the needs list this off-season. Smart looks like more of a DE.
A big run-stuffing NT will be picked up in the draft I'm sure

fearsomefour

Legend

I would add Blythe to that list as well.
Don't know if he is a FA after this year or not.
Need to extend him as well.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would add Blythe to that list as well.
Don't know if he is a FA after this year or not.
Need to extend him as well.
Rams are fine here @ reserve center Austin Blythe will not be involved in the FA'cy in 2018.

Free Agency will not happen for him until 2020 (UFA)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Smart is under 6-1 & goes approx @ 295 pounds. Walker may have a good 20 to 30 pounds on Smart right now.

Walker was originally signed under a 2 yr deal but when he go entangled with the law he was cut & resigned for a 1 yr contract. Walker is certainly a load to handle @ NT @ the moment & has done nothing to hurt his future here on the field. Walker has usually played in a 43 defense & played DT not in a 34 "D". Walker might end up being the best NT on this defense.

There might be another reason that could explain why we see Smart getting some much time & on the field time @ NT?? Might be due to the ongoing AD contract situation. Getting him ready just in case AD does a repeat in 2018 like he did in 2017 but moves it into a impossible situation where a trade is forced. AD is still completely tied to the Rams in 2018 as a 5th yr being a first round selection. Rams might have as many as 7 starters involved with FA'cy in 4 months.

Tanzel Smart best position IMO is where Aaron Donald happens to play @ DT. If AD who is NOT a UFA in 2018 happens to be MIA I would think that Smart would slide over to DT post to start in 2018 season. Smart fits the Wade's "D". Having a rookie 6th round selection starting in this "D" says something about Smart's future.

Rams do have 2 DL'ers entering the Free Agency in March Easley/walker. Easley has big medical concerns but might still remain a possibility as a 3 tech reserve if the price is right as it was back in 2016/2017 seasons. Walker is a no brainer like I said above he needs to be retained for a few more seasons he is starting material & may not come all that cheap.

Ref. AD who will demand a Von Miller or Ndamukong Suh $$$ is sure to cause more drama again in LA something that that the Rams will try to avoid with all the issues they will have in FA'cy. AD just might want to go back close to home & the Browns have the $$$ ready to pay AD & the unbelievable hoard of extra high draft selections & numbers of them too.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Loved Sullivan from the outset, durability was the only issue, but that was a back issue that was two years removed. McVay stating during training camp, he had to warn Sullivan to stop calling the plays for Goff because he knew the offense backwards & forwards. Sully a Notre Dame alum has been huge and as @BonifayRam posted, Blythe is a solid reserve with Aaron Neary on the practice squad as well...Aaron Kromer!

Ram65

Legend
I was on the Sully wagon from the start.. He was a pro bowl player before the back injury. Low risk high reward signing. Played in the system with McVay too.

Edit: Give him a three year deal that is two years up front money and little cap hit year three.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
We definitely need to sign these o line guys to get some consistency and continuity in the o line.