John Johnson: Tag 'n Trade?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's a snippet from the Athletic:

Rams: S John Johnson

Johnson would, in a normal year, perhaps be a tag candidate for the Rams. But even in a normal year, that would be a big if since they have not historically invested at the safety position and have brought in depth/possible replacements via the draft. In a year that features a deflated cap, spending $10 million or so on a one-year deal (without having the ability to backload any of it) is not likely to happen for the Rams and Johnson. However, they also are facing a pick deficit in this year’s draft, so while a tag is unlikely, the rare tag-and-trade for picks might not be completely ruled out. That value would have to be greater than the presumed compensatory pick the Rams would receive for Johnson leaving in free agency. —
Jourdan Rodrigue

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
We'll see. How would we afford it, though?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Journos always come up with these crazy ideas that never eventuate.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Not sure if this has been talked about or brought up, but what do guys think about franchising JJ and then trading him for picks so we don't lose him for nothing? Might even get Snead off by earning us an extra 6 round pick he can trade at a later date

Man I talked about this under the off-season cut and trades awhile back, y'all late to the party lol

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
But in all seriousness, they need to definitely do this. It's a smart move for a team that is cash strapped and needs more "cheap" contracts a la rookies. You know damn well there is a team willing to give a 1st up for this guy IMHO

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
We'll see. How would we afford it, though?

Hello , tag & trade for more than a 3rd rd pick in 2022. He is Gone!! I know the blue Font

Nick Scott is going to be the Free Safety in my opinion.You can tell me I’m wrong.
Fuller & Burgees Will find there way in the rotation.—Fuller was actually the Rams Rookie of the year(got to love Cam Akers)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Journos always come up with these crazy ideas that never eventuate.

Les Snead the Magic Man,make it happen.
Far Fecthced? Crazy?
—just need to find a partner,such as like a good neighbor in the La Chargers.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s not a crazy idea. Really? Will see if Les Snead can get it done.
He is the Magic Maker.

He's the master of giving away draft picks, not getting them back.

But they get the players they want this way.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Don't know if the old cap rule is still true. But it use to be all teams must be in cap compliance by 1st of new year.

March 17th.

So if still in effect, how do you cap tag JJ3 , and who do you cut and/or restructure ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He's the master of giving away draft picks, not getting them back.

But they get the players they want this way.

If that’s your logic the that is fair.I’ll use Fowler as an example.Then You can go from there.That trade did help put The Rams in the SuperBowl.
-I think The Rams are getting a Comp pick back of a 2nd vs a 3rd.

In this JJ case The Rams would be basically doing the same by getting a 2nd instead of a 3rd.In both cases The Rams did well with both players.

I don’t know what you think of them.Suh just won a SuperBowl.Les Snead was able to get Comp value back ?
In Regards to Les Snead & trading away picks ?? JJ cost The Rams what to play for them the last 4 seasons? —He did not even cost The Rams a draft pick by Les Sneads account.
BTW- iwhen I was Draft-niking if Mcvay doesn’t get Everett he would have draft a guy named Kittle.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they have the cap space available to tag him, why not just keep him?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
If that’s your logic the that is fair.I’ll use Fowler as an example.Then You can go from there.That trade did help put The Rams in the SuperBowl.
-I think The Rams are getting a Comp pick back of a 2nd vs a 3rd.

In this JJ case The Rams would be basically doing the same by getting a 2nd instead of a 3rd.In both cases The Rams did well with both players.

I don’t know what you think of them.Suh just won a SuperBowl.Les Snead was able to get Comp value back ?
In Regards to Les Snead & trading away picks ?? JJ cost The Rams what to play for them the last 4 seasons? —He did not even cost The Rams a draft pick by Les Sneads account.
BTW- iwhen I was Draft-niking if Mcvay doesn’t get Everett he would have draft a guy named Kittle.
Even getting a 3rd is fine... Still higher than a comp 3rd and you get it this yr. Plus the Rams are going to still lose 5 or 6 FAs so they will get back 4 player comp picks almost assuredly.

So getting a pick by trade just adds another later comp pick for losing Reynolds, Blythe, Fox, Brown or Ebukam.... Already assuming picks for Floyd, Everett & Hill.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The space would only have to be temporary, right? Hold him, deal him.

Not enough space to keep him.
They would still need to have the cap space available to tag him though, then would be hamstrung until a trade could be made.
Seems awful risky move just to gain a draft pick

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
They would still need to have the cap space available to tag him though, then would be hamstrung until a trade could be made.
Seems awful risky move just to gain a draft pick

Yeah, I guess it depends on the interest the Rams feel is out there for Johnson.

Do they think they can move him to get a pick this year? Vs comp pick next year.

What happens after a tag is applied?
It depends on the interest level between the sides. The player can sign the tender at any time, a decision that fully guarantees the salary and immediately places all of it on the current year's cap charge. This can increase a player's leverage in a tight cap situation; the team will be motivated to negotiate a longer-term deal to lower the cap number. But that decision also can backfire if the team is comfortable with the high cap number. The leverage in this case would side with a player who remains unsigned as camp looms. A tagged player can't participate in offseason workouts or any camps until he has at least signed the tender.

In either event, the sides have until July 15 to agree on a multiyear extension. After that point, the player can sign only a one-year contract, which cannot be extended until after the season.

Can a team rescind a tag?
Yes. This has been documented seven times, most recently by the Carolina Panthers with cornerback Josh Norman in 2016. A rescinded tag is among the risks a player takes when he doesn't immediately sign the tender. It can't be rescinded once it is signed. After a tag is rescinded, the player becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Rams have a projected 22 mill in dead money at the 180.

Saftey is projected 11 mill plus.

So the Rams would have to clear 33 plu mill by cuts trades and or restructuring of the top 51 players.

Before he could be tagged.