John Elway throws John Fox under the bus

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Maybe waiting until the Super Bowl is over and the Broncos have won it would have been a better idea for John Elway. If the Broncos lose will Elway fire Gary Kubiak? This could come back to bite him.
**********************************************************************************
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ng-john-fox-this-is-why-we-made-the-decision/

John Elway on replacing John Fox: “This is why we made the decision”
Posted by Darin Gantt on February 2, 2016

johnfox0egykrnvthhm-e1447976223988.jpg
Getty Images

Bears coach John Fox is the one guy who coached both the Panthers and the Broncos to Super Bowls.

But he didn’t win with either, and his last boss said that was why he was replaced by Gary Kubiak this offseason.

This is why we made the decision,” Broncos General Manager John Elway said, via Mark Potash of the Chicago Sun-Times. “This was the idea — to get better and get past the first round.

“We had a good regular season, but struggled in the first round. So the idea, the goal — what our owner wants — is to win a championship. That’s why the decision was made last year to go in a different direction. And Gary’s done a tremendous job.”

Fox got past the first round twice with the Broncos, one of them with Tim Tebow. But after getting blown out by the Seahawks in the Super Bowl two years ago and then losing at home to the Colts in their first one last year, they vibe around Denver changed and Elway reeled in his old backup.

“I think John did a great job when he as here — there’s no question,” Elway said. “He won four AFC West championships, so he did a tremendous job.

“It just got to the point where, . . . it was kind of like we talked about [after the change was made], it was a mutual parting of the ways. He decided that he wanted to go in a different direction and we said, ‘That’s fine, we’ll go in this direction, too.’ I think it worked out for both sides.”

Of course, mutual partings are rarely mutual. Fox had one with the Panthers after the 2010 season, when acrimony over the lack of a contract extension led to a bitter end, and a 2-14 record which led directly to Cam Newton and Ron Rivera.

So while Fox was and is a good coach, it’s reasonable to suggest both teams are OK with the guy they hired to replace him.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
He really thinks that team has anything to do with Kubiak? The defense IS the reason they are there. That's it. Nothing else about it. In my opinion, John Fox is a better coach anyway.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Elway has become a very unlikable person. I'm not sure if he's always been that way, but the past few years his body language and overall demeanor have been extremely arrogant.
He's an ass.

WvuIN02

Starter
The reason this team is even there is because of Wade Phillips. Kubiak took one of the highest scoring offenses and turned it into a turd.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Elway has become a very unlikable person. I'm not sure if he's always been that way, but the past few years his body language and overall demeanor have been extremely arrogant.
He's an ass.

When I live3d in Cleveland the Indians were playing great baseball. One of the players was a guy named Jim Thome, he's a simple guy, no frills or bells and whistles, just a straight up small town guy. His licence plate on his (what else) pick up truck said DBTH.

He was asked about it and said it stands for Dont Believe The Hype. His was of keeping himself humble.

Elway will never have plates like that. Your point about him being a bit arrogant IMO seems to be true.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Elway is right in the sense that Fox wouldn't have hired a guy like Wade Phillips...but Gary Kubiak isn't an upgrade on Fox.

WvuIN02

Starter
Elway has always been a primadonna. Colts should have stuck with him as their QB and dared his butt to go play baseball.

markstewart67

Rookie
He's an ass.
I met him twice when I lived in Denver.....I promise you, He is one of the most arrogant people I have ever met.....He no doubt thinks he's Gods gift to football.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I bought a truck from Elway's Crown Toyota. The finance manager was the biggest douche I've ever encountered.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Wait..am I missing something here?
Did Fox not coach the Broncos to Super Bowl XLVIII?
Sure, his team lost, but Kubiak's team has a 50% of losing as well.

I hope Denver loses just because Elway is an arrogant prick.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If you guys think you hate Elway now, just wait until he moves up in front of us to take a QB in the draft... :mrburnsevil:

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't get bashing Fox, I think he is a heck of a coach.
Kubiak was saved by a stellar D covering up for the O struggling and a QB who was taking HugeGiantHead to come back and is physically shot.
Good luck versus that Carolina pass rush Huge Giant Head.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
I have a sense of fairness and have hated Elway from day one because of his hostage taking with the whole baseball thing. Play for the team that drafts you and if your all that great make them great too. However, Denver was a perfect landing spot-He looks just like that horse.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Elway has become a very unlikable person.
Hey man, John Elway was one of the greatest southern Cali HS QB's EVER! One of the greatest to EVER play at Stanford. And, was the epitome of comeback QB's in the NFL. He was also a good lil baseball player too. Being arrogant comes with greatness....Sorry...You have to believe the "hype" to perform.....Sometimes teams need to hear a different voice.
If Fish leaves the Rams in 2017, and we win a SB, it doesn't mean Fish was bullheaded, stuck in his ways, or a bad coach. The team just needed a different voice. But Fish built the team....

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
being confident and being a total dick are two separate things

Elway sounds like a total deeok

I saw Magic this summer in LA-- I was icoming out of a recording studio on Sunset and there he was and I said "Hey Magic! You're the greatest!" And he shook my hand and he was totally cool and we exchanged pleasantries - no look of annoyance but instead gratitude and appreciation. Magic is the greatest

Same with Ken O'Brien - now not the greatest ever but one of the greats. I met him when I was working room service at the Anaheim Marriot back in 93 or 94 -- I remember seeing Blair Thomas and he was their first pick for the Jets that year so whenever that was -- well I see Ken O'Brien and let him know I was a fan of him at UC Davis and so we strike up this conversation. Me being a Ram fan I was razzing him, etc so he and I have this conversation while he walked to the banquet rooms where they offense and defense were running drills -- when we get to the entrance I shake his hand and wish him well, but he says follow me and we walk right up to these huge mammoth linemen, both D & O facing each other, and me and Ken O'Brien both line up at the end and get in the three point stance right -- I think I was right next to Mark Gunn (huge man) -- well everyone sees this and gets a chuckle but it wasn't until this coach, like something out of central casting, blows the whistle and says "Get the hell out of here Shorty!!" when everyone starts laughing and patting me on the back calling me Shorty. Then Ken O'Brien walks me out and I've been a fan ever since

He didn't have to be that cool and to give the time to a nobodyroom service attendant like me, but that is what makes him the cool dude he is. I'll never forget that day

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Hey man, John Elway was one of the greatest southern Cali HS QB's EVER! One of the greatest to EVER play at Stanford. And, was the epitome of comeback QB's in the NFL. He was also a good lil baseball player too. Being arrogant comes with greatness....Sorry...You have to believe the "hype" to perform.....Sometimes teams need to hear a different voice.
If Fish leaves the Rams in 2017, and we win a SB, it doesn't mean Fish was bullheaded, stuck in his ways, or a bad coach. The team just needed a different voice. But Fish built the team....
I'm with you regarding confidence as a factor for success. It does help. Elway could have played professional baseball imo as well. It doesn't mean I have to like the guy. There have been many Profesional athletes in the past that have found balance between confidence and arrogance. Elway isn't one of them.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Elway is right in the sense that Fox wouldn't have hired a guy like Wade Phillips...but Gary Kubiak isn't an upgrade on Fox.
Wade failed as a head coach twice... I don't think he'll ever get another shot. But, as a DC? The man is excellent... wait, that sounds familiar... ;)