Joe Barry on Ogletree

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Or it could mean he's gonna get back to who he was two years ago under Wade, who is known for simplifying things for his players.

What they do with him is going to be very telling. Quinn also
I don't think Barron was terrible...I just think he isn't a 3 down linebacker. He's a safety, that plays very well in the box. Most safeties don't take on linemen like linebackers. They go around them. Which can cause problems because linebackers need to fill specific gaps. Plugging holes isn't his forte... I'd imagine Wade will return Barron to safety...Play him like that #43 on the Broncos....And keep Mo at FS to battle for his position vs either a FA or a rookie (bunch of good FS in this draft).
Quinn...think he's trade bait. And again, we need to draft a couple DE's/OLB's.....

I think Bryce Hagar may be ready to play....he looked pretty good the last couple weeks that I saw him. But to make a 3-4 defense pop, I'd like to draft a ILB of the talent of Davis. Dude is a beast vs the run. I see a bunch of Florida Gators that could help us on that side of the ball.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yep that Mark Barron sure is a disappointment :palm:. No doubt that Mark needs to vacate his LB'ing post up close to the LOS for some other up & coming Ram ISLB'er like Reggie Northrup :love:or a Cassanova Mckinzy:love:....Rams just did not get enough production from Mark after all those 334 tackles 2 sacks & 2 INT's the last 2 seasons playing LB'er(n).

It also makes great sense to send Mark back into the strong safety post so we can really get a bigger bang for or $11 to $10 million a yr " In The Box Safety". Just think the Rams had 20 million in dead money in Mark in 2016 so he is sure to be a hot trade item in the next few months.

Plus its also been a real problem for the Rams to find those In The Box Safeties like Mo Alexander & TJ McDonald in the drafts these days:whistle:......Making Mark a DB again is a sure great use of salary cap $$$'s too. We all know Mark is so much better when he is moved back into the secondary so he can use his elite coverage skills :yay:more often:huh:.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Quinn...think he's trade bait. And again, we need to draft a couple DE's/OLB's.....

.....I think Bryce Hagar may be ready to play....he looked pretty good the last couple weeks that I saw him. .
You know I am with you on your Rob Quinn thoughts! no matter what his new DL coach says.

I also fully agree with you on LB Bryce Hagar. I would not be surprised if he has a great pre season as an ILB'er in this Wade defense. Hagar has flashed in cameo appearances down in goal line events. He has also played well in pre seasons. John Fassel is a true believer in Hagar. He should make a good top reserve ILB'er.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think Barron was terrible...I just think he isn't a 3 down linebacker. He's a safety, that plays very well in the box. Most safeties don't take on linemen like linebackers. They go around them

There were a number of big runs broken because of him not filling his hole last year, and when it's contrasted against how good he was two years ago where he was aggressively beating blockers to the ball carriers and blowing things up it's a big drop to my eye.

But regardless in discussing the way forward the question is whether he fits at ILB in Wade's defense, in which those LBs are so key to stuffing the run as it's funneled to them. McVay's comment doesn't lock Wade into playing him there at ILB or anything, but I think right now that's a key question in his mind about what pieces he's going to need to get this defense where it has to be.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It also makes great sense to send Mark back into the strong safety post so we can really get a bigger bang for or $11 to $10 million a yr " In The Box Safety". Just think the Rams had 20 million in dead money in Mark in 2016 so he is sure to be a hot trade item in the next few months.

That's my hope too. But then again I'm a big fan of Alexander manning that FS spot, and think he can do very well for us there.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
...... Quinn also; I can't imagine they plan on letting another injury derail their season. IMO they'll add a couple LBs and one will be a pass rusher. ......
Now your posting:party:! Outside edge rushers for both sides is certainly there with the other top defensive priorities. I think that its a good bet that Ogletree, Hagar, Forrest & Barron will be a solid 4 player inside LB'er cadre plus those 2 new ILB'ers Northrup & McKinzy.... its the outside Lbers where I have :notsure:.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not much difference between a 2 & a 3 anyway:oops: Never was any good working with the numbers end or counting the beans that's why I married a Banker:). Her blood line comes from your area. Its one of the reasons I follow & lean :bow:to you in the numbers game too(y).

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But regardless in discussing the way forward the question is whether he fits at ILB in Wade's defense, in which those LBs are so key to stuffing the run as it's funneled to them. McVay's comment doesn't lock Wade into playing him there at ILB or anything, but I think right now that's a key question in his mind about what pieces he's going to need to get this defense where it has to be.
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Barry-Glad-to-be-Back-in-LA-Working-With-Rams-LBs/a5aa6c79-3d24-4b0e-87bc-fd9cf7c32491

Of the linebackers currently on the Rams’ roster, Barry said he’s been particularly impressed with Ogletree and Barron.

“Obviously, NFL coaches watch all the film every single week so you get to follow these guys’ careers,” Barry said. “And when Sean brought me on here, I was like, ‘Oh my gosh, I get 52 and 26?’ So they’re great guys, obviously great players. But everything that I’m hearing, they’re great leaders, they love the game, they love to prepare, they love to practice.”
Sounds like Barry wants Barron in the backers meeting rooms.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon