Jim Thomas said it all

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RealRamsFan said:
Roster building.....Gibson is nothing more than a 4 or a 5 in this league and this regime believed during the off season that he should start. I said it would bite us in the butt...and it has
Again. Tell me what the alternative was. Avery? How's he doing, by the way? Divulge your notes from camp and practices that present a strong case for keeping him. No wait. I'll do it for you. "He's fast." His speed is doing wonders for him out in Tennessee, is it not? Maybe there's more to the story than you're aware. Outlandish claim on my part, I know, but I have to wonder if there's any merit to that.

Culture/Locker room:
A team takes on the HC personality.......and this team may have sunked to a new low with accepting a lose. I do not know how true it is...but when Jim Thomas says that the locker room looked like that....its alarming.
Jim Thomas, the guy who said the Vermeil experiment was a failed experiment? THAT Jim Thomas. Well why didn't you say so. That's pretty much all we need to know then, I guess. Why is it that when Bradford is injured on a play that should have never happened, Spagnuolo is an idiot. But when he avoids the same problem by just living to fight another day, he's ALSO an idiot. That's the most unconventional approach to criticism I've ever witnessed. But certainly not rare.

Playcalling / Offense:

At some point the HC has to step in and have his OC do something else
Yeah, he did that during the bye. It's documented. You're essentially putting Spagnuolo in any situation you can to justify his ineptitude. This is your 4th argument for having him fired, and it's the 4th most illogical. Many people have told you that the methodology you're suggesting would have been futile. But even still, there's no evidence he DIDN'T do that. You're just assuming.

Player development
Injuries not an excuse. Seattle has had multiple injuries but they made the adustments and developed their players.
Nobody is saying injuries are an excuse. They're a factor. Not even Spagnuolo is using it as an excuse. Every team has injuries, but no team has them to this extent. Across the board. On both sides of the line. And not every team has the same quality of depth. Comparing different teams with different sets of circumstances is just weak. It really is. How did the mighty Pete Carroll adjust during the Browns game when they posted up a lofty 3 points? Or when he got blanked by Pittsburgh? Shouldn't he have been able to overcome and prevail? Or is he just one of the coaches that gets a pass because his last name isn't Spagnuolo?

No way a team with Tavaris Jackson, Lynch, and M. WIlliams should beat Sam Bradford, SJ39, and Brandon Lloyd.
No? Well, they did. They also beat a team with Ray Rice, Joe Flacco and Torrey Smith/Anquan Boldin. There is also no way a team with Feeley, Jackson and Lloyd should beat the Saints. But they did. That's just a ridiculous statement - whoever uttered it. It happens all the time in the NFL.

Im sorry...but its time to clean house and get someone in who knows how to build a roster and delgate/run a team and not just "his side of the ball"
I'm sorry, but it's not time for that. Your apology is accepted though.

On the brighter note, whoever come in will have a great core on defense (JL, Long, Quinn, and Mikell)
Then on offense we still has a young, very talented QB to build around.
And if it's McDaniels who gets the call to step up, what do you have to say about the prospects of the future? And what if your "walk on water" imaginary coach has to deal with the same, identical set of circumstances? Head coaches should start forming a line here. I don't see any stability - at least from a fan perspective.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Paul, you're right, we don't know the alternative or the possible choices going forward.....but sadly, I have to agree, I think Spags has lost them....not necessarily of his own making, but just circumstance.

It's easy for me to say this, but if I could "fix" things, I'd have Spags as DC and yes, McD as OC (continuity is becoming a priority)....but this team needs a leader, one who can inspire, motivate and create fear (respect).....if you asked me, my choice would be "Chucky", but there are 2 or 3 others out there just as capable....anyway, just my rambling 2 cents.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
To be honest...JT doesn't hold any merit to me after how much he obsessed and blew out of proportion the whole equipment manager thing.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
ramsince62 said:
Paul, you're right, we don't know the alternative or the possible choices going forward.....but sadly, I have to agree, I think Spags has lost them....not necessarily of his own making, but just circumstance.

It's easy for me to say this, but if I could "fix" things, I'd have Spags as DC and yes, McD as OC (continuity is becoming a priority)....but this team needs a leader, one who can inspire, motivate and create fear (respect).....if you asked me, my choice would be "Chucky", but there are 2 or 3 others out there just as capable....anyway, just my rambling 2 cents.
I hear you. But I can't subscribe to much of what you're saying. You knew that though. He hasn't lost the team's respect, and they haven't checked out of his philosophy. The one common theme you hear from players is, "I don't know what the problem is. We just need to execute."

Spagnuolo wouldn't remain as DC. I don't know that a head coach who gets fired remains as a coordinator. I can't think of an example in recent history where that has happened. He could very well be a coordinator on another team, and he would be great. As long as it wasn't in this division. I also don't believe that instilling fear is the only tried and true method of coaching. There are numerous examples of coaches who don't take that approach, and it's worked. Superbowl winning coaches too. If he's fired, he's fired. I'll only look upon it as premature and pretty unfair. But I won't lament it. I'll just get behind the next coach and wait to see if he's got what it takes to be a good head coach. And I'll hope upon hope that he doesn't get "Spagnuolo'd" during his tenure.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
>>You knew that though. He hasn't lose the team's respect, and they haven't checked out of his philosophy. The one common theme you hear from players is, "I don't know what the problem is. We just need to execute." <<

Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. When I say "lost", I'm not meaning to lose the teams respect per say. Instead, (to me) it's a mental thing, an acceptance of the situation, the reality. They're efforts now are because of who these players are, the 4 pillars, their character and yes even continued respect for their coach....for each other and pride as athletes, but that's a different synergy.

Certainly I understand that Spags could never (sadly) remain as DC. Isn't it unfortunate when ego and perception must over ride sound judgement and best fit....Anyway, I was just sayin "if I could fix it", pure fantasy on my part.

I'd never suggest that the business "is fair", the circumstances have indeed been unfair, IMO. If we still fielded the team as intended on day 1, would things be the same? I think not even close.

As for the "fear" thingy, it's simply a tool in the box.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
ramsince62 said:
>>You knew that though. He hasn't lose the team's respect, and they haven't checked out of his philosophy. The one common theme you hear from players is, "I don't know what the problem is. We just need to execute." <<

Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. When I say "lost", I'm not meaning to lose the teams respect per say. Instead, (to me) it's a mental thing, an acceptance of the situation, the reality. They're efforts now are because of who these players are, the 4 pillars, their character and yes even continued respect for their coach....for each other and pride as athletes, but that's a different synergy.

Certainly I understand that Spags could never (sadly) remain as DC. Isn't it unfortunate when ego and perception must over ride sound judgement and best fit....Anyway, I was just sayin "if I could fix it", pure fantasy on my part.

I'd never suggest that the business "is fair", the circumstances have indeed been unfair, IMO. If we still fielded the team as intended on day 1, would things be the same? I think not even close.

As for the "fear" thingy, it's simply a tool in the box.
Gotcha. :ww: I think we understand each other.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
X said:
ramsince62 said:

I hear you. But I can't subscribe to much of what you're saying. You knew that though. He hasn't lose the team's respect, and they haven't checked out of his philosophy. The one common theme you hear from players is, "I don't know what the problem is. We just need to execute."

Spagnuolo wouldn't remain as DC. I don't know that a head coach who gets fired remains as a coordinator. I can't think of an example in recent history where that has happened. He could very well be a coordinator on another team, and he would be great. As long as it wasn't in this division. I also don't believe that instilling fear is the only tried and true method of coaching. There are numerous examples of coaches who don't take that approach, and it's worked. Superbowl winning coaches too. If he's fired, he's fired. I'll only look upon it as premature and pretty unfair. But I won't lament it. I'll just get behind the next coach and wait to see if he's got what it takes to be a good head coach. And I'll hope upon hope that he doesn't get "Spagnuolo'd" during his tenure.

The only time that has been anywhere close was when Gunther Cunningham was HC and brought back a few years later to be the DC under DV

Ramatik

Starter
Angry Ram said:
To be honest...JT doesn't hold any merit to me after how much he obsessed and blew out of proportion the whole equipment manager thing.

That's why I put JT in the Howard Balzer realm of idiot enquirer reporters.

Take it with a grain of salt.

AND, Spags has obviously not lost this team up to his point. If they can come out of the other side of this, they will be able to run through brick walls for him.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
JT is jaded. He has been a sourpuss since Spags limited his media exposure 3 years ago. I think at this point, anything is possible, and I don't think it would be "unfair" to Spags if he loses his job, considering the results shown so far. If the Rams continue to look the way they did last week AT HOME, against SEATTLE...the axe will most likely fall. These players may respect Spags, but they sure don't look like they would run through balsa wood much less a brick wall for him. I keep seeing people saying that this team has not "quit" on him, and is "playing hard" for him. Thats great and all, but what does that really mean??? This team has been demoralized over and over again this season, and they have shown no ability to take a punch and fight back. That, and the seeming absence of any confidence whatsoever on the offensive side of the ball are troubling. This team shows absolutely NO signs of trending up...at all. If I am an owner, I cannot ignore the trends......