Jim Harbaugh expects a “breakout year” from Colin Kaepernick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
He's a run first QB with a strong arm but doesn't have great touch or accuracy. He feels pressure and takes off running without going through his progressions. I honestly feel like he's only popular because he's an "exciting" running QB on a winning team.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
2rbzg35.jpg

It would be my pleasure and maybe I'm just giving Kaepernick accolades to prepare myself, but the fact is he's led his team to a Super Bowl and an NFC Championship game and I'm sure glad he lost both and yes he come off as someone who was raised in the hood and was raised by an affluent adopted family, but IMO he's very dangerous and hopefully the Rams can keep him in the pocket and make him win throwing the football.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He's a run first QB with a strong arm but doesn't have great touch or accuracy. He feels pressure and takes off running without going through his progressions. I honestly feel like he's only popular because he's an "exciting" running QB on a winning team.

He's also a fearless leader IMO look I don't like the way he comes off and I especially for the life of me cannot figure out why certain individuals wear winter hats indoors and in the summer time, however, besides Aaron Rodgers and Brady, Kaepernick scares me the most.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The formula for neutralizing Kaepernick, as you well know Den, is to contain him in the pocket and make him beat you with his arm. If you can do that he becomes quite ordinary.

He's killed teams, the Packers come to mind, by being able to run out of the pocket for massive yardage. That deflates a defense like nothing else. Michael Vick did the same thing to the Rams when he was with the Falcons.

Let's see how Kaepernick does when he can't run and is forced to make his reads and that pressure is coming at him from all directions. That's Greg Williams job and he's quite good at it. I look forward to our two games against them.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Has Sam Bradford? lol

Why is it you get your panties in a twist when people say derogatory things about other team's qbs yet relish in finding any fault in sam's performance?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I expect both Wilson, and Kap. to have 'Break-out' Years! They will both Break out in a State of Panic every time they see our D-Line coming at them!!:ROFLMAO:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Steve Young: Colin Kaepernick should run less, learn to make reads
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 3, 2014

kaepernickyoung-e1401826689819.jpg
Getty Images

When Steve Young arrived in San Francisco, he was an athletic quarterback who hadn’t yet developed into a great passer. By the time he retired from the 49ers, Young had a Super Bowl ring and two league MVP awards, and he was the NFL’s all-time record holder in passer rating and destined for the Hall of Fame.

Now Young says it’s time for 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick to do what Young himself did: Learn to stop relying so much on his running ability, and become a pocket passer. Young said on NFL Live that when Kaepernick’s first option isn’t open, he takes off running. And while Kaepernick often makes great plays with his legs, Young doesn’t believe Kaepernick can be a great player if he’s always quick to rely on his running ability.

According to Young, Kaepernick needs to learn to read through his progressions and become a pocket passer. Young thinks that should be the primary focus of Kaepernick’s offseason.

“That’s going to be a very difficult thing for Colin to master. He’s going to have to tie his legs in training camp. Literally, he should tie his legs, physically, so he can’t do anything but throw from the pocket,” Young said.

Young makes a good case that although Kaepernick is already good, he needs to change the way he plays and get better as a passer if he wants to be great.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Man. Every time I see that stupid face ... the only thing I hear is:

[av]http://www.moviewavs.com/0093058674/MP3S/TV_Shows/Family_Matters/did_i_do.mp3[/av]

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Kaepernick and Wilson are good... at what they are tasked with. Their job most of the time is to hand it off to Marshawn Lynch and Frank Gore who are GREAT players. Don't fall for the allusion that Kaepernick or Wilson "carry" their teams because when you look at the facts these teams ran the ball the most of any team in the NFL (Seattle being first and San Fran being second overall). If you want to point out the people carrying these two teams, you look at who is getting the carries. NFL coaches scheme around their best players which is why these two teams are running instead of passing. That being said, both QBs are good at running the football which is the primary function of their offenses and also limiting mistakes so that their defenses can win games for them, so they work well in the systems they are in. In no sense are either of them top 10 QBs which I believe is evident when you contain them in the pocket and force them to make a read. As for a breakout year, I suppose you can make the case that Kaepernick will have a better year because of the additions around him but still not elite.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler

Man. Every time I see that stupid face ... the only thing I hear is:

[av]http://www.moviewavs.com/0093058674/MP3S/TV_Shows/Family_Matters/did_i_do.mp3[/av]

I've been barking up that tree for awhile. Glad there's someone in the media who's not afraid to say something negative about a very ordinary passer.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
damn... i hate to admit it but...

The 49ers have built a Super Bowl winning offense, ok Kaepersick is not the best QB in the world, but I think he's good AND he's very dangerous and with a receiver core of Crabtree, Stevie Johnson, Boldin, Lloyd and Vernon Davies with Gore as your RB you don't need to be the best QB...

Just saying :(

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
damn... i hate to admit it but...

The 49ers have built a Super Bowl winning offense, ok Kaepersick is not the best QB in the world, but I think he's good AND he's very dangerous and with a receiver core of Crabtree, Stevie Johnson, Boldin, Lloyd and Vernon Davies with Gore as your RB you don't need to be the best QB...

Just saying :(

Alex Smith took the whiners to the NFC Championship the season before krappydick was given Smiths job after Dunbar rang his bell. Would the whiners have beaten the Ravens with AS at QB? Krappydick is very ordinary, just as RW is when facing the Rams D. It always amazes me how those 2 QBs get so much credit for their teams winning, but when they play the Rams, the Rams D makes them look bad.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Alex Smith took the whiners to the NFC Championship the season before krappydick was given Smiths job after Dunbar rang his bell. Would the whiners have beaten the Ravens with AS at QB? Krappydick is very ordinary, just as RW is when facing the Rams D. It always amazes me how those 2 QBs get so much credit for their teams winning, but when they play the Rams, the Rams D makes them look bad.

I don't know about that the 49ers beat the Rams 35-11 and 23-13 how bad could have Kaepernick been? I watched both games and he played really well in the first and pretty darn good in the second although the Rams had nothing with Clemens at QB.

Also Seattle won 27-9 in game two so if both QB's played really bad in both contests I would hate to see how many points they would have put up if both of them played well.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The formula for neutralizing Kaepernick, as you well know Den, is to contain him in the pocket and make him beat you with his arm. If you can do that he becomes quite ordinar.

I agree but it is obvious that Harbaugh thinks adding better receivers will improve his success. Adding Johnson could help some, but, the same as you and most on this thread, think the problem is Kaepernick and his ability to process what's happening on the field at full speed.

Containing Manzeil is what hurt A&M against Missouri. The formula is the same for all of the run first types. Harbaugh is correct .Kaepernick needs to focus standing in the pocket, making all the reads and running as a last resort. Vick did that for one year and he looked very good, but then he turned back into Vick. It's tough to ignore instincts when you've been running from angry Pitbulls for so many years.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know about that the 49ers beat the Rams 35-11 and 23-13 how bad could have Kaepernick been? I watched both games and he played really well in the first and pretty darn good in the second although the Rams had nothing with Clemens at QB.

Also Seattle won 27-9 in game two so if both QB's played really bad in both contests I would hate to see how many points they would have put up if both of them played well.

that first game against the whiners he didn't look very good in the first half. until he threw it in finnigan's direction with the result an easy td to boldin i think. the rams d actually played pretty well but the offense was so bad they couldn't hang on. they got the turnover early in the second half when the game was still close but the offense then didn't even look like making a yard and i think that sucked the life out of them with a blowout the result.

first game against seaderrall wilson was awful. the only play he made was that interception in waiting he threw up for grabs but jenkins badly misjudged it with the result a td to Taint.

didn't see the second whiners game and the second seaderrall game was the end of the season for the rams and they couldn't do it anymore with clemens at qb. their oline was decimated as well. and langford got ejected for no reason early in the game.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
didn't see the second whiners game and the second seaderrall game was the end of the season for the rams and they couldn't do it anymore with clemens at qb. their oline was decimated as well. and langford got ejected for no reason early in the game.

Well, I hope you're right I hope they don't ever play well against the Rams, but both of them are proven winners IMO...Kaepernick's record in post season is 5-2 and Wilson's is 4-1 and believe me I don't want to post positive things about Colin "Freakin" Kaepernick, but he's a great athlete that can run like a deer and can take a shot as well.

Dunbar knocked out Smith and then Kaepernick was born, if the Rams can knock out Special K...I will gladly take my chances against Blain Gabbert.