Jer'Zhan Newton Should Be Our Pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I mean, we gonna need to trade up for Kneeland!
I do like Kneeland as a prospect, don't love him. He's in the same boat as Chop (vey little production) but the differences are; he played against MAC players and he isn't nearly the athlete Chop is (though Kneeland is an impressive athlete). I will say this, he is more advanced as a run stopper (bigger body also), though against lesser talent. Personally, I would not trade up for Kneeland and I think, in the end, they won't need to.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I do like Kneeland as a prospect, don't love him. He's in the same boat as Chop (vey little production) but the differences are; he played against MAC players and he isn't nearly the athlete Chop is (though Kneeland is an impressive athlete). I will say this, he is more advanced as a run stopper (bigger body also), though against lesser talent. Personally, I would not trade up for Kneeland and I think, in the end, they won't need to.
I get that.

In this draft, I think there's probably some hope you find a guy like Danielle Hunter who didn't have much production in college but continued to develop and then boom.

Kneeland might be a guy like that, if you're a betting person, you say he didn't get what he needed in the MAC in terms of coaching. That's the rub on Chop, you figure he was getting the coaching at Penn.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think trying to replace AD is a mistake. You just aren't going to do it. What you do, is to try to replace the production.
Absolutely but let's not get so sucked into the "can't replace AD" that we lose sight of the fact that Murphy and Newton may just be superior prospects to the edge rushers available in the mid/end of 1st and may be worth taking there!

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I get that.

In this draft, I think there's probably some hope you find a guy like Danielle Hunter who didn't have much production in college but continued to develop and then boom.

Kneeland might be a guy like that, if you're a betting person, you say he didn't get what he needed in the MAC in terms of coaching. That's the rub on Chop, you figure he was getting the coaching at Penn.
I don't know about that with PSU. They tend to churn out unrefined athletes that need to be coached up in the NFL. Most recent example is Ebiketie and Oweh. I'd lean Robinson as a prospect. Both did certainly underperform in college though

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Absolutely but let's not get so sucked into the "can't replace AD" that we lose sight of the fact that Murphy and Newton may just be superior prospects to the edge rushers available in the mid/end of 1st and may be worth taking there!
Yeah I’m confused about some saying this guy isn’t AD or you can’t replace AD. No duh. We are not gonna draft AD. But why can’t we draft another Turner?

Take that best player. Whether that be an edge, DT or whatever. But if it is a DT, he’s not the AD replacement. We as Ram fans need to stop that narrative. It’s not fair to the guys.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't follow these guys as closely as some others. I'd be fine with Newton or Murphy at 19.

Obviously we're not going to pick someone like Latu or Verse along with Newton or Murphy. What I'm wondering is how far will T'Vondre Sweat drop after the DWI? He was projected to go before our pick at 52.

A good draft for me would be Latu at 19 and Sweat at 52. I know Sweat would not be a 3 down guy at that weight. But a two down big body run stopper would be nice. Kinda like what Vita Vea does in Tampa. Would be even better if he dropped to the 3rd round but I'm not sure about that.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I don't follow these guys as closely as some others. I'd be fine with Newton or Murphy at 19.

Obviously we're not going to pick someone like Latu or Verse along with Newton or Murphy. What I'm wondering is how far will T'Vondre Sweat drop after the DWI? He was projected to go before our pick at 52.

A good draft for me would be Latu at 19 and Sweat at 52. I know Sweat would not be a 3 down guy at that weight. But a two down big body run stopper would be nice. Kinda like what Vita Vea does in Tampa. Would be even better if he dropped to the 3rd round but I'm not sure about that.
How far will Sweat drop I wonder? The party boy vibe ain’t going to ingratiate him

WestCoastRam

Legend

I don't think he'll drop that far. Has too much to offer. I can see some team with a vet defense thinking they'll straighten him out. Mid 2nd. "We did our due diligence, he knows what he did was wrong and we'll get him in our program and show him the right way to do things."

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
100%, if they are the best pick, go for it. Just don't want the Rams chasing unicorns.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I’d prefer the best player. I think Newton and Murphy are better than the edge rushers that will be available at 19.

I hope the Rams feel the same way.
I figure at least a couple of the edges are ranked above Newton and Murphy. Neither of those two are dominant 3Ts. They're both very good players, certainly appropriate for where we are selecting. And it's a need to add a starter, but I don't view 3T as the ideal technique to add to this front.

Advantage of either of those two would be the Rams would have a nice pass down front on the interior. And that's a big advantage for sure. But personally I am more concerned with general stoutness up front and stopping the run. I don't think either of those guys give us that AD effect. So to me adding the edge and the pressures from those positions being up to snuff is the ideal approach.

I mean take Robinson for example. There's a guy who is long and menacing, who brings versatility to the front. I suspect he's going to be a great pro. So it's not just those top couple who are in play for the Rams here. Edge has serious quality possibilities where we are picking.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMAk0DFXgiY

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I don't think he'll drop that far. Has too much to offer. I can see some team with a vet defense thinking they'll straighten him out. Mid 2nd. "We did our due diligence, he knows what he did was wrong and we'll get him in our program and show him the right way to do things."
I’d be shocked if Sweat was taken before the end of the 2nd round.
One caveat is the Raiders: they do dumb things like picking him in 1st. Lol

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
If the edges are actually ranked higher than the two DTs they would be top-15 picks because of the rarity in finding a great edge defender.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I figure at least a couple of the edges are ranked above Newton and Murphy. Neither of those two are dominant 3Ts. They're both very good players, certainly appropriate for where we are selecting. And it's a need to add a starter, but I don't view 3T as the ideal technique to add to this front.

Advantage of either of those two would be the Rams would have a nice pass down front on the interior. And that's a big advantage for sure. But personally I am more concerned with general stoutness up front and stopping the run. I don't think either of those guys give us that AD effect. So to me adding the edge and the pressures from those positions being up to snuff is the ideal approach.

I mean take Robinson for example. There's a guy who is long and menacing, who brings versatility to the front. I suspect he's going to be a great pro. So it's not just those top couple who are in play for the Rams here. Edge has serious quality possibilities where we are picking.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMAk0DFXgiY

Isn’t he like 287 lb? The Rams dropped their edge rushers into coverage more than any other team in the league

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Well, there's a rose in a fisted glove
And the eagle flies with the dove
And if you can't be with the one you love, honey
Love the one you're with
Love the one you're with
Love the one you're with
Love the one you're with
The one I'm with? Kobie Turner?