Jeff Fisher couldn't say 'no' to Garcia/JT-PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Fisher couldn't say 'no' to Garcia
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_f74e2cbc-072d-5842-91f4-bc2824b3a37a.html

When he interviewed Jeff Garcia for the Rams’ quarterbacks coach job in February, coach Jeff Fisher came away impressed. So impressed, in fact, that for a while it looked like Garcia would get the job.

Always the competitor, Garcia didn’t take the news well when Fisher hired Chris Weinke instead.

“It was like the wind was let out of my sail,” Garcia recalled.

That same day, Garcia left a message for Fisher, thanking him for the opportunity while making it clear he remained interested in joining the Rams’ staff in any capacity.

“He got back to me later that day and just said, ‘Hey, I was extremely impressed by you and I want you on my staff,’ “ Garcia said.

Turns out that wasn’t just lip service. Three months later, Garcia has been hired as an offensive assistant by the Rams. Garcia accepted the job in late May (the week of the NFL owners meetings in San Francisco), and the Rams formally announced the hiring earlier this week.

As a player, Garcia was MVP in the Canadian Football League for the Calgary Stampeders, and went on to earn four Pro Bowl berths in the NFL at quarterback. But with the Rams he will help wide receivers coach Ray Sherman with that unit.

“When I was done (interviewing) Jeff, I just felt like he’s got some special qualities and characteristics,” Fisher said. “Kind of one of those guys you want on your staff.”

It took a while to make that happen, but Fisher likes what Garcia can add to the wide receiver room.

“He gives a different perspective,” Fisher said. “He gives that quarterback perspective to the receivers, which I think is helpful.”

Garcia and Fisher have no prior history, other than the fact that Garcia played against some of Fisher’s Tennessee Titans teams over the years. That’s worth noting because coaching jobs often go to buddies in the NFL.

“Coaches that I played for are still coaching,” said Garcia, whose 12-year NFL playing career included five seasons with San Francisco as well as stints with Cleveland, Detroit, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay and Houston. “When I started to pursue a (coaching) opportunity in the NFL, I thought it may come through the relationships that I had.”

Didn’t happen that way, however.

“The great thing about Jeff (Fisher) is he saw value in what I brought as a former player,” Garcia said. “Maybe part of it was my background — how I had to scratch and claw my way into the league, battle and fight for everything. And just the type of player that I was out there on the field.”

The feisty Garcia was as competitive as they come as a player. In terms of approach, he was a grinder — a gridiron version of a gym rat. Beyond the X’s and O’s, if some of those qualities rub off on the Rams’ wideouts, the team will be better off for it.

And he’s from a coaching family. It’s in his blood. His father, Bob Garcia, coached him in junior college at Gavilan College in his hometown of Gilroy, Calif.

Once his playing career ended, Garcia opened Jeff Garcia Football in San Diego, where he trained quarterbacks from the junior high level up. Among the NFL quarterbacks he tutored there were Mark Sanchez, Matt McGloin and Tyrod Taylor.

But at the end of the day, he missed the preparation for a game. His one-year stint with the CFL’s Montreal Alouettes last season, first as a consultant and then as quarterbacks coach, only whetted his appetite to get into coaching.

“This is where I need to be,” Garcia said. “This is where I feel I can have a tremendous impact. I can still mentor and direct and guide and inspire young people to reach above and beyond what they ever thought they could do themselves, and bring out more.”

Garcia thinks his quarterback background will help a still-young Rams wide receivers group grasp the big picture.

“Understanding what the mindset is of a quarterback, and what he’s thinking about a given concept,” Garcia said. “How so many of the technical, fundamental things about the game are so important in order to create great timing.”

But the Rams also plan to tap into Garcia’s vast experience playing quarterback. Toward that end, new offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti has involved Garcia in the meeting room with Weinke in discussions and film review.

“Being able to talk about, not just receivers but quarterbacks, and the fundamentals of playing the position,” Garcia said. “Where their eyes, where their thoughts, where their progressions should be in creating success on the field.”

Even so, Garcia made it clear that the last thing he wants to do is step on Weinke’s toes when it comes to the quarterback position.

So he’s getting to know the wideouts, and vice versa. With a slight grin, Garcia says the wide receivers have “a little bit” of an understanding about who he was as a player.

“I know they were young when I was playing,” he added. “A couple of the defensive players asked if I could sign a ball for them. They remember what I was all about.”

Despite his NFL success, Garcia was only 1-7 as a San Francisco starter against the Rams. Then again, all of those starts came from 1999 through 2003, the period encompassing the Rams’ greatest success in St. Louis as the Greatest Show on Turf.

Now, he finds himself on the other side of the rivalry.

“I grew up in the Bay Area, so I was a big Niners fan,” Garcia said.

But that was then. Now he’s wears a blue and gold Rams cap at work.

“Hey, this is my new favorite team,” he said.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nobody says no to Jeff Garcia.

jeff-garcia-wife-carmella-decesare.jpg

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I wonder if Fisher sees Garcia as someone who will move up within the organisation as time goes on. Maybe a future QB coach or coordinator.

He's obviously impressed by him to the extent that he looks as if he's invented a role to get him on board.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Just another very good piece of the Ram new machinery waiting to be tested under full load!

I really ...really like this signing...I just feel this guy will help us become a winner.(y)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Truthfully, I THOUGHT Garcia was gay. Seriously.

Anyhow... I think it's brilliant paring a former QB up with the wide receivers. Absolutely brilliant!

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Truthfully, I thought Garcia was gay. Seriously.

Anyhow... I think it's brilliant paring a former QB up with the wide receivers. Absolutely brilliant!
A lot of ppl did, it was probably cuz he played for the Niners Ppl wanted to take shots a him back then.

However, Love the fact that he switched teams and is now helping out the good guys!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Truthfully, I hoped Garcia was gay. Seriously.

You don't say... :huh:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
My guess is that Garcia brought his wife to the interview and threw in, " And I would like you to know that if I am hired my wife will be accompanying to work everyday, and she was a former Playboy Playmate and, well, the rumors are all true, if you know what I mean."

So, Fisher refused to be baited by Garcia's comments about bringing his wife along because he is a man of principals. However after months of staring at his new computer screen shot of her, he figured it wouldn't be breaking any rules of ethics if he hired Garcia in some capacity, other than that which he interviewed.

Schwing!

No he just has to figure out how to keep Wang from getting all excited when she shows up at RamsPark.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Always liked Garcia. Maybe it is because the Rams owned the niners in his era, but he has always seemed like a good dude with a lot of heart. I think it was TO that started the gay thing btw. He does have a little bit of a lisp and soft voice, and I imagine that is where it stems from.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams couldn't resist adding Jeff Garcia to coaching staff
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...t-resist-adding-jeff-garcia-to-coaching-staff

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Upon promoting Frank Cignetti Jr. to offensive coordinator back in February, St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher set out to bring some new blood to Cignetti's vacated quarterbacks coach position.

Fisher sought fresh ideas from someone outside the building, a rare occurrence in St. Louis since Fisher took over in 2012, especially on the offensive staff. In fact, before Brian Schottenheimer's departure to take the coordinator job at the University of Georgia, the Rams had the same offensive position coaches and coordinator three years running under Fisher.

Beyond some new ideas, Fisher also wanted to find a quarterbacks coach who came with playing experience in the league. He winnowed the choices to former NFL quarterbacks Chris Weinke and Jeff Garcia. Fisher came away duly impressed with both young coaches, neither of whom had substantial NFL coaching experience before Fisher came calling.

In the end, Fisher opted for Weinke, who had a longer history working with quarterbacks at IMG Academy. There, Weinke trained quarterbacks of all shapes, sizes and styles, which Fisher figured would make for a good fit as the Rams revamped their depth chart at the position.

But even after hiring Weinke, Fisher couldn't shake the feeling that he might be missing out on a talented young coach in Garcia. When Garcia called Fisher to thank him for the opportunity that went to Weinke, Fisher set about figuring out how to get Garcia on the staff too.

Finally, as much of the NFL world convened in San Francisco for the spring owners meetings last month, the news broke that Fisher had hired Garcia as an offensive assistant. A couple of weeks later, the Rams confirmed the move and clarified that Garcia would actually be working with wide receivers in his new role.

“We interviewed two people for the quarterbacks position, that’s Chris Weinke and Jeff Garcia," Fisher said. "When I was done with Jeff, I just felt like he’s got some special qualities and characteristics -- one of those guys you want on your staff. It took us a little bit longer, but what we’re going to do is move Jeff into the receiver room with Coach (Ray) Sherman and really, he gives a different perspective. He gives that quarterback perspective to the receivers, which I think is helpful.”

Garcia won't be bringing much coaching experience to the mix in St. Louis. He spent last season as quarterbacks coach for the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League. But it wasn't so long ago that Garcia was playing quarterback in the NFL. He did it for 12 years and he ran a quarterback coaching academy in San Diego after retiring from the league.

For an offense in need of fresh ideas, Garcia figures to have plenty.