Jason La C-word fora hearing buzz that Peat and Scherff go 8 and 9

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Andrus Peat - T - Cardinal
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora believes Stanford T Andrus Peat "is good fit" for the New York Giants, and continues to "hear a buzz" about Scherff and Peat going in the No.8 and No.9 spots.

"The Giants have to continue reworking their offensive line and it remains an area of concern and this kid is good fit. I'm not sure if its being reflected in the media much, but teams like him a lot and New York needs a tackle. I continue to hear a buzz about Scherff and Peat going in these two slots," La Canfora wrote. The 6-foot-7, 313-pound Peat would be able to come in and compete right away for the starting job at right tackle, and then could be groomed to eventually replace Will Beatty at left tackle.

Source: CBS Sports
Apr 8 - 3:14 PM

Seriously doubt this happens but in your minds which player would this push down to the rams that they couldn't pass on if this were to happen? First Ive heard or seen of this even being a possibility.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
La Canfucker is blind to what teams need. Does anyone think that Atlanta is going to pass up an elite pass-rusher in Shane Ray for a right guard? Does anyone think that Jerry Reese wouldn't pick the BPA in this class (Danny Shelton, Bud Dupree, or one of the top two wide receivers)?

WestCoastRam

Legend
If that happens it probably means a Shane Ray, Randy Gregory, maybe Danny Shelton are there. Tough choice between a top pass rushers, dline and possibly trade down. Will be interesting for Rams as if those guys are on the board they might get an offer or two to trade down for sure... depends on how much they get...

In fact, as far as trade down variables go, we probably be better off if Scherff and Peat go right before us. Nobody's gonna trade up for those guys but people could be interested in two top pass rushers and the 2nd best D tackle in the draft.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Reese has an interesting dilemma if one of the top two WRs is there for him in that he's pretty much set on the outside with Cruz and Beckham. Cruz has played out of the slot quite a bit and done a ton of damage from there so it wouldn't be out of the realm to take another WR. But they're well set with those two.

jjab360

Legend
I wouldn't like that. Those are the top two offensive lineman in my mind and I don't think we'd reach for another O-lineman so I either see them trading down or taking one of the guys whose stocks have been skyrocketing lately in Dupree or Perriman. Stocks going up and down only mean the media catching up to what NFL FOs have known for months, after all.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Reese has an interesting dilemma if one of the top two WRs is there for him in that he's pretty much set on the outside with Cruz and Beckham. Cruz has played out of the slot quite a bit and done a ton of damage from there so it wouldn't be out of the realm to take another WR. But they're well set with those two.

He'd move Cruz to the slot and put one of the two opposite OBJ. Reuben Randle is not going to stop someone like Reese from taking Cooper or White.

jjab360

Legend
La Canfucker is blind to what teams need. Does anyone think that Atlanta is going to pass up an elite pass-rusher in Shane Ray for a right guard? Does anyone think that Jerry Reese wouldn't pick the BPA in this class (Danny Shelton, Bud Dupree, or one of the top two wide receivers)?
Except LaCanfora's not speculating a mock draft, he's reporting rumors he's heard so I don't see what you're getting at..

Memento

Name
Jemma
Except LaCanfora's not speculating a mock draft, he's reporting rumors he's heard so I don't see what you're getting at..

Oh, and since when has he ever been right? Dez Bryant? Oh, wait, he and Florio were both wrong on that and should've both lost their jobs for it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think Atlanta will pass on Shane Ray.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I wonder if the front office execs who told LaConfora who they are going to take with their first round draft pick are upset that he is blabbing it.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I think Atlanta will pass on Shane Ray.

For what reason? Ray ran a 4.6 while recovering from an ankle injury (his usual recorded times are 4.3). He led the SEC in sacks and tfls. Can play in both 3-4 and 4-3. Can cover, rush the passer, move sideline-to-sideline. Instinctive as hell. Dimitroff is going to draft a pass-rusher; he worked on the defensive line last year, but he doesn't have that guy who can get to the quarterback. Hageman might...eventually. Most of the others can't.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I wonder if the front office execs who told LaConfora who they are going to take with their first round draft pick are upset that he is blabbing it.

They're probably laughing right now because they told him false information and he's running with it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For what reason? Ray ran a 4.6 while recovering from an ankle injury (his usual recorded times are 4.3). He led the SEC in sacks and tfls. Can play in both 3-4 and 4-3. Can cover, rush the passer, move sideline-to-sideline. Instinctive as hell. Dimitroff is going to draft a pass-rusher; he worked on the defensive line last year, but he doesn't have that guy who can get to the quarterback. Hageman might...eventually. Most of the others can't.

I don't see Ray fitting in the 4-3 except the LEO spot in certain schemes. Regardless, I just don't see it. He has some issues on the field and didn't test as well as expected. If Fowler Jr. and Beasley are both gone, he stands a much stronger chance though.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I don't see Ray fitting in the 4-3 except the LEO spot in certain schemes. Regardless, I just don't see it. He has some issues on the field and didn't test as well as expected. If Fowler Jr. and Beasley are both gone, he stands a much stronger chance though.

He's perfectly capable of playing in a 4-3; if Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis can play there, so too can Ray. He may not have tested as well as expected, but he was recovering from an ankle injury. And Fowler and Beasley are going to be long gone before Ray (Fowler's going to the Jaguars; Beasley to the Redskins).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's perfectly capable of playing in a 4-3; if Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis can play there, so too can Ray. He may not have tested as well as expected, but he was recovering from an ankle injury. And Fowler and Beasley are going to be long gone before Ray (Fowler's going to the Jaguars; Beasley to the Redskins).

If the Jaguars are smart, they'll take Beasley.

Freeney was 6'1" 270. Mathis is more his size but he was playing in a Cover 2 scheme which has always utilized undersized DEs.

It's not about whether Ray CAN play in the 4-3. It's about whether he'd be effective enough. IMO, he'd struggle holding up against the run with his hand in the dirt.

Memento

Name
Jemma
If the Jaguars are smart, they'll take Beasley.

Freeney was 6'1" 270. Mathis is more his size but he was playing in a Cover 2 scheme which has always utilized undersized DEs.

It's not about whether Ray CAN play in the 4-3. It's about whether he'd be effective enough. IMO, he'd struggle holding up against the run with his hand in the dirt.

He held up quite well when he was at Mizzou (by the way, that targeting ejection in the SEC Championship game was bullshit. Had to say it.) He's not the strongest, but he's fast, quick, and knows how to properly tackle. He'd be more than effective enough, especially given that the Falcons are using lighter OLBs/DEs for their hybrid system.

Beasley at that point? Nah. I could definitely see it and how it fits, but it wouldn't be the smartest move. Fowler has the potential to be a dominant all-around defensive end, which the Jaguars currently don't have right now. Beasley has the potential to be a dominant pass-rushing linebacker...which the Jaguars also don't have. Either one would be a smart pick, but Fowler's the higher rated player and has been more consistent (I still can't get that 2014 Clemson/FSU game out of my mind where Beasley was stoned by Erving, of all people. If not for that tape, Beasley wouldn't bother me so much.)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He held up quite well when he was at Mizzou (by the way, that targeting ejection in the SEC Championship game was bullcrap. Had to say it.) He's not the strongest, but he's fast, quick, and knows how to properly tackle. He'd be more than effective enough, especially given that the Falcons are using lighter OLBs/DEs for their hybrid system.

Beasley at that point? Nah. I could definitely see it and how it fits, but it wouldn't be the smartest move. Fowler has the potential to be a dominant all-around defensive end, which the Jaguars currently don't have right now. Beasley has the potential to be a dominant pass-rushing linebacker...which the Jaguars also don't have. Either one would be a smart pick, but Fowler's the higher rated player and has been more consistent (I still can't get that 2014 Clemson/FSU game out of my mind where Beasley was stoned by Erving, of all people. If not for that tape, Beasley wouldn't bother me so much.)

Disagree.

And I also strongly disagree that Fowler is more consistent. In Jacksonville's scheme, Beasley would play the LEO spot which is basically DE. And he'd be lethal. He has Von Miller and Robert Mathis like qualities. His spin move is insanely fluid and the guy explodes off the line with the bend to turn the corner.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Disagree.

And I also strongly disagree that Fowler is more consistent. In Jacksonville's scheme, Beasley would play the LEO spot which is basically DE. And he'd be lethal. He has Von Miller and Robert Mathis like qualities. His spin move is insanely fluid and the guy explodes off the line with the bend to turn the corner.

He and Golden both held up well against quality rushing attacks. The only guys who burned them were Tevin Coleman and Nick Chubb, and those two pretty much burned everyone they played (Chubb could end up being better than Gurley, and Coleman could dominate more than Arian Foster in a one-cut scheme (Denver would be a perfect fit for him.)

As for Beasley, I'm probably just gunshy about that 2014 FSU game. Fowler is quite versatile against both the run and the pass. Personally, I'd take a potentially-game changing defensive end over a potentially game-changing linebacker (I like Dawson much more than Beasley for our system anyway, so...yeah.)

Last edited: