Jared Goff, Sean McVay push back against claims that Rams’ play-calling is ‘cheating’ or ‘immoral’

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

…..

Legend
can someone please link me to the audio of their communications. I saw it earlier this week and didn't get a chance to listen. Now I've lost it, can't remember the thread it was in

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
First article I've ever read concerning the "observations" made by Chris Simms. An unwanted and well traveled former QB who also had a briefly unsuccessful coaching "career" of one whole season.

It will be the last.
If it where not for the Fact " Phil Simms" is Chris's Daddy, Chris would probably not gone as far as he did in the NFL and post nfl!!

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
People always wanna bitch about something, don’t they?
I know! The Rams are easily one of the most fresh and exciting teams in the NFL. I can't see the rules committee getting together at the end of the year, saying no more communicating with the QB and destroying one of the few bright spots they have in the Rams. But, you never know. In fact the crybabies and haters of the GSOT actually got the fricken celebration rules changed because of the Rams Bob & Weave celebration. A-holes ruined football for what, 15+years before that finally said O.K, you guys have fun and play Duck Duck Goose if you want, after you score, or Hide & Seek, it's cool.

Last edited:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And, in other news, the letters N, F and L may stand for National Football League.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
So this tells me that Chris' NFL coaches never used the headsets to communicate with him about the proper play call during games. They must have thought that communicating with him about the upcoming play would have been too much for his widdle bitty brwain to handle.

What a bunch of bullshit.

But I have to pause when I think about it... because if my memory is correct, I think Fisher was his coach when he was in TN. I can see Fish only saying things like "Don't fuck this up dumbass,,, we can always punt or run a trick special teams play".

Whatever though. Utter bullshit. Chris is a bafoon... both on the field, and now off the field as well.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I have the perfect solution and it follows NFL logic...The league will assign somebody to monitor both offensive and defensive coach comms with the O and D..Any "unauthorized" comments will result in a harsh "don't cheat" tongue lashing by Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick...A second violation will result in loss of 1st round draft picks for 5 years...

Last edited:

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I just don't even get how this is a story. They are breaking ZERO rules.

Are people really that upset that a young smart coach got creative with the play calling?

Haters gonna hate.

bluecoconuts

Legend
So this tells me that Chris' NFL coaches never used the headsets to communicate with him about the proper play call during games. They must have thought that communicating with him about the upcoming play would have been too much for his widdle bitty brwain to handle.

What a bunch of bullcrap.

But I have to pause when I think about it... because if my memory is correct, I think Fisher was his coach when he was in TN. I can see Fish only saying things like "Don't freak this up dumbass,,, we can always punt or run a trick special teams play".

Whatever though. Utter bullcrap. Chris is a bafoon... both on the field, and now off the field as well.

Gruden probably just yelled the play over and over again to Chris because he figured his dumbass couldn't handle anything else.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
can someone please link me to the audio of their communications. I saw it earlier this week and didn't get a chance to listen. Now I've lost it, can't remember the thread it was in
Here is the link within the thread http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads...-be-an-actual-coach-on-the-field.52410/unread

View: https://twitter.com/NFLFilms/status/931203908344541185?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fftw.usatoday.com%2F2017%2F11%2Fnfl-sean-mcvay-rams-saints-jared-goff-audibles

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Gruden probably just yelled the play over and over again to Chris because he figured his dumbass couldn't handle anything else.
Coach: "Z Post......."
Simms: "Coach what's a "Z"....
Coach: "The outside receiver on the strong side...."
Simms: "I'm not sure what that means. All of these guys are stronger than me...."
Coach: "The strong side has a tight end...."
Simms: "But coach, the Tight End was on the right last time, but as I was calling signals he moved over to the left side."
Coach: The Z receiver is........................
Coach: Well, the good thing about the 15 seconds being up, is he'll probably get killed on whatever play he calls. Then he can go be a journalist or something...........Hopefully he's better at that, than he was as a QB................... GEEZ......that had to hurt..........

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Coach: "The strong side has a tight end"

Simms: "Yeah, I noticed that too. You think he's hot?"

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I really doubt McVay just "invented" this for this year. I'm sure he probably did it last year in Washington. The reaction from Arians told me that. Simms thinks he's "uncovered" something that has probably been used since the introduction of helmet radios. But the "out of the loop" media just caught on........
McVay said as much in a radio interview I heard. Said used with redskins and a team before that.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
As a matter of fact, I saw on tv back when he was a rookie during training camp and he was supposed to call a play in the huddle and he couldn't get it right. Gruden just stood next to him and repeated the play call over and over until he sent him to the sideline.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Don't know why they even talked about this during the season....we need to keep some of this stuff secret....

As for Chris Simms....Stronger arm than his daddy....better athlete....In fact, right up to the moment he was hit and had to have his spleen removed....I thought he'd be a good QB.....He's not a bum....he's not a fool...listen to him on.....Florio some times...knows his shit.

Is this illegal??? IDK.....but if it is, I bet the NFL changes this rule in some way....

I think it's great that Jared gets to hear what McVay sees...and where he thinks the ball should go if x, y, and/or z happens on a play.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
How do you know they werent doing this since preseason and Goff and McVay just got better at it as the season has progressed? Did I miss an article or interview or sounds of the game?
I've been reading DXmissile for years and his opinions seem to be based on truth, accuracy and common sense.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Don't know why they even talked about this during the season....we need to keep some of this stuff secret....

As for Chris Simms....Stronger arm than his daddy....better athlete....In fact, right up to the moment he was hit and had to have his spleen removed....I thought he'd be a good QB.....He's not a bum....he's not a fool...listen to him on.....Florio some times...knows his crap.

Is this illegal??? IDK.....but if it is, I bet the NFL changes this rule in some way....

I think it's great that Jared gets to hear what McVay sees...and where he thinks the ball should go if x, y, and/or z happens on a play.

Simms is a terrible analyst and was an average qb at best.

Also to answer your question about is it illegal? No bc teams have been doing it for years. Mcvay himself said he did it in Washington. There is no secret to protect.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
In some ways it is. McVay isn't just teaching him how to read the field like a great signal caller, he's teaching him how to read the field like a coach. That is what makes a great player special, the ability to read the field like a coach. Faulk could do it, Warner could do it. Goff will do it.

Good point and I agree.

McVay changing the play will help Goff understand EVERYTHING about defenses the same way the greats do. This IMO is even better than looking at stills on the sideline or watching tape because he is in the moment on the field and it's all right in front of his eyes. He'll retain it more/faster that way versus studying.

When he is confident and experienced enough to know what McVay is thinking we are going to have a dangerous QB because he will at some point get to where he is thinking "if they do this we will counter with that" and know what to do in a moment.

bluecoconuts

Legend
As for Chris Simms....Stronger arm than his daddy....better athlete....In fact, right up to the moment he was hit and had to have his spleen removed....I thought he'd be a good QB.....He's not a bum....he's not a fool...listen to him on.....Florio some times...knows his crap.

He was a terrible QB in college and a terrible QB in the NFL and that's why he's not in. He doesn't know squat.

It's not and you know it.

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
McVay said as much in a radio interview I heard. Said used with redskins and a team before that.
Didn't the Colts and Peyton Manning used to get to the line quickly so they had extra time to survey the defense and get into the right play?

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I've been reading DXmissile for years and his opinions seem to be based on truth, accuracy and common sense.
Never said he was a lier, but I disagree with his opinion, that everyone around Goff has been compensating for Goff's inadiquicies. That talking to you qb over the head set was something dreamed up because Goff didn't get it and was causing time outs. McVay has already stated that he has used this tool in his previous job. So it stands to reason it was part of the plan from the beginning.