Jared Goff arrives at camp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://www.therams.com/news/jared-goff-arrives-for-2018-training-camp

This isn’t Jared Goff’s first rodeo.

The Rams’ starting quarterback checked into training camp at UC Irvine for the third time on Monday, comfortable with his surroundings and looking forward to the upcoming year.

“I’m very excited to get down here,” Goff said on Monday. "I love it down here in Irvine. I think all the guys are very excited to get going again.”

There’s certainly a difference with Goff entering 2018 than in years past. He’s no longer a rookie, or a young quarterback with a new coach and a new system. Instead, he’s a leader for a team that has high aspirations and expectations.

as5klkg5tksicv6t9nsy.jpg

But that doesn’t mean he’s all of a sudden going to change his daily approach.

“I think you see every year there are teams that get that type of label and often fall short, and you wonder why. I think that’s something we can’t really focus on,” Goff said, adding L.A. must “[t]ake every day like we have the past year and build off of what we did in the spring.”

“We've got all the pieces we need, we just need to put it together and continue to work hard every day and put all the pieces together,” Goff added. “Like I said, every year there’s teams with talent, we have talent, but what are we going to do to separate ourselves from the other teams? Continue to prepare and be the best we can be throughout this training camp and this season.”

Similarly, he expects to see an unchanged Sean McVay in his second season as head coach.

“I think he’s going to continue to grow as a coach and as a play-caller and as a leader of our team,” Goff said. “But I think he’s going to be the same guy that he’s been.”

The 23-year-old quarterback described a fairly low-key summer break, spending a week at home in the Bay Area and a little time in Lake Tahoe. But he was around L.A. last week when the club signed wide receiver Brandin Cooks to a five-year contract extension, as Goff made his way to the organization’s business headquarters for the occasion.

“Excited for Brandin, excited for our team, and he deserves it,” Goff said. “He’s put a few 1,000-yard years together, and I know we’re excited about what he did in the spring for us. His addition with Robert [Woods] and Cooper [Kupp] — I feel good about where we’re at with the receiver position.”

While Cooks was slated to be the only new starter on Los Angeles’ offense, right guard Jamon Brown’s suspension means the club will have at least two new faces when Goff lines up behind center for Week 1. Goff addressed the news about Brown, saying it’s something the club has been preparing for.

“Not concerned. I think Jamon — that was a mistake he made years ago. Obviously, he publicly feels bad about it, but he’ll be OK,” Goff said. “He’s a big piece of our offense, a big piece for our success. And we’ll miss him for those first two games, but someone will step up and step in there just fine.”

i8k5qf1tf8xfciavmxdj.jpg

As for Goff personally, the signal-caller mentioned getting the ball out quicker and taking fewer sacks as a pair of his objectives for training camp.

“Just to continue to grow, continue to get better,” Goff said. “Continue to get the ball in the playmakers' hands and let them run with it, distribute.”

And being more of a veteran means he does have a better idea of how to best use his time during camp.

“You can kind of figure that stuff out throughout the schedule,” Goff said. “Just time management. When it’s time for a nap and 30 minutes of film or something like that. You just figure out little pockets of time that you can use to your advantage.”

Goff and the rest of the Rams will take the field for the first time in camp on Thursday at 3 p.m.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2018/...-los-angeles-rams-qb-jared-goff-training-camp

Goff_1.0.jpg

Los Angeles Rams QB Jared Goff
(On how fast the offseason has gone and now beginning year three of his career)

“Yeah, it’s kind of flown by. I think about my first time here with Hard Knocks and that first year, and how fast it’s gone by. Now onto year three and it’s exciting. I’m excited to be here. I’m very excited to get down here. I love it down here in Irvine. I think all the guys are very excited to get going again.”

(On how this training camp will be different compared to his first two camps)

“I just have a better feel of the place, I think. Rookie year is rookie year and then last year going into it, kind of a new system. You’re kind of still getting used to it, still getting used to the schedule of the coaches. Then this year, I kind of know what our schedule is going to be, know what to expect throughout the preseason games. We kind of have an identity now. I’m familiar with this campus and everything’s much more comfortable at home.”

(On if he expects Head Coach Sean McVay to be any different in year two)

“I don’t think so. I think he’s going to have the same approach. I think he’s going to continue to grow as a coach and as a play-caller and as a leader of our team. But I think he’s going to be the same guy that he’s been.”

(On if DT Aaron Donald being away will be much of a distraction during training camp)

“It wasn’t last year. We dealt with it last year, and I wish the best for him. Hope that gets resolved, but they’re dealing with it and hopefully it gets resolved soon.”

(On his reaction to getting WR Brandin Cooks here for a long-term deal)

“Excited. Very excited. Excited for Brandin. Excited for our team, and he deserves it. He’s put a few 1000-yard years together, and I know we’re excited about what he did in the spring for us. His addition with (WR) Robert (Woods) and (WR) Cooper (Kupp). I feel good about where we’re at with the receiver position.”

(On if his approach changes at all with the different expectations)

“No, not one change to the approach at all. I think you see every year there are teams that get that type of label and often fall short, and you wonder why. I think that’s something we can’t really focus on. Take every day like we have the past year and build off of what we did in the spring. I was really happy with the way we progressed in the spring, and how much more comfortable, not just me, but everybody feels with the offense. It’s starting to come along.”

(If there’s something in particular he wants to work on this camp)

“Everything -- nothing in particular. Just to continue to grow, continue to get better. Continue to get the ball in the playmakers’ hands and let them run with it, distribute. I don’t know, take less sacks, get rid of the ball.”

(On if since it’s his third year he feels like he will become, or wants to become a more vocal leader opposed to just leading by example)

“Yeah, just continue to be myself, whatever that is daily. Just continue to be myself and continue to grow into that role. Just be authentic and be myself.”

(On his stance on the National Anthem situation and what he thinks will happen with the Rams)

“You know, I don’t know. I think we’re going to have to sit down and talk about it again like we did last year. I’m sure we’ll do that at some point, have ourselves a meeting and talk about what we want to do. I don’t know what the answer is right now. We’ll discuss it as a team internally and just how we want to do, and whatever that is then we’ll be doing it as a group.”

(On if something like the National Anthem policy discussion can be a distraction for the team)

“Not for us, no, I don’t think so. I think we proved last year that it wasn’t a distraction or us. We got a really good group of mature guys and guys that are driven and have one goal in mind. I think there are many distractions, that could be one of them, but we won’t allow it to be and like I said, we’ll handle that internally.”

(On having the qualities of a championship team and all of the players and pieces in place needed to be successful)

“Like you said, we’ve got all of that. We’ve got all the pieces we need, we just need to put it together and continue to work hard every day and put all the pieces together. Like I said, every year there’s teams with talent, we have talent, but what are we going to do to separate ourselves from the other teams? Continue to prepare and be the best we can be throughout this training camp and this season.”

(On whether he did anything fun over the summer)

“Anything fun? Not really. I went home for a little bit. I wish I would’ve gone on vacation somewhere. I didn’t really have much time. I went home. I went to the Bay Area for about a week, spent some time up there. That was fun. I went to Lake Tahoe last week -- that was nice -- for the golf tournament. That was fun. Good, little relaxing vacation, I guess. It was good.”

(On whether there’s anything he would do differently off the field from previous training camps)

“Yeah...Once you learn the schedule better, like I had last year, you start to realize when you have some down time, when there’s a time for a 20-minute nap and stuff like that. You can kind of figure that stuff out throughout the schedule. Just time management. When it’s time for a nap and 30 minutes of film or something like that. You just figure out little pockets of time that you can use to your advantage.”

(On any rookies that he’s looking forward to working with this week)

“Yeah, I’m looking forward to seeing those offensive linemen grow. All of them. Excited to see what they can do and excited to see them kind of grow into their role and continue to get better. They had a really good spring.”

(On whether he’s concerned about OL Jamon Brown’s situation)

“No. It’s something I think we’ve been preparing for. Not concerned. I think Jamon, that was a mistake he made years ago. Obviously, he publicly he feels bad about it, but he’ll be okay. He’s a big piece of our offense, a big piece for our success and we’ll miss him for those first two games, but someone will step up and step in there just fine.”

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Goff is a true leader. He doesn't have to be there yet, like the rookies do. But there he is leading by example.

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
Very impressed and an amazingly change since 2016.

First time in nearly 15 years it feels like a real, competitive football team. No koolaide required.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Goff is a true leader. He doesn't have to be there yet, like the rookies do. But there he is leading by example.

He told The Rams after his first year to remember this feeling because they were not going to feel it again !! Roger Saffold sort of said , yeah right !!

Well Saffold got the leadership he has needed in Sullivan & Whitworth.That just let him go out & play. The Big 5 were an excellent combo. Now that Jamon Brown got suspended, he broke there streak together. It will be interesting to see who steps up.

The WR combo is so solid now !! With Tavon gone it helps McVay & the offense focus on a
true game plan. I’ll add that Cooks brings so much more than Sammy Watkins, minus the Divaness !!

The Rams also got rid of the lossing culture in Austin,Quinn,O”Tree, & Tru (selfish). Free’d up a lot of cap space.

This season is a New being of things to come.Out with the old & in with the new.This is McVay’s squad now !!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So I wonder what it is that JB did if it’s been years ago. Seems odd.

fearsomefour

Legend
The best camp arrival ever was Eric Crouch showing up in a limo.....before retiring before the season opener that year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Eric Crouch

Not wanting to hijack th thread... but he had a good preseason going until suffering a concussion, I recall.

Kind of wish he had toughed it out. Seemed like Martz might have been right about him skill-wise, anyway.