Jameis Winston Just Doesn't Get It

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Just to be clear, is this tongue-in cheek? I mean, just because it is the reality of the NFL, and hell sports and life in general, doesn't mean it should be.

I like my football and my BB, but the NCAA and NFL are as corrupt and lacking as any other institution. None of it passes the smell test. And we all keep watching it. We humans love our entertainment.
so whats the point?

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
http://fansided.com/2014/09/20/jame...i.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=si.com

I like this spoiled little prick less and less with each passing day. So, not only is his half game suspension a slap on the wrist joke, he apparently doesn't even think he's obligated to treat it like a suspension and can do what he likes.

He was suited up and warming up with the offense shortly before the Clemson/FSU game started.

Jimbo Fisher can to yank his ass back into the locker room to get changed.

Just a bad apple.

I know, I know. "Rape allegations are just allegations."

But FSU and everyone else in Florida is enabling this kid. And it's disgusting.

"Everyone in Florida"? No, I think the dude is an idiot too...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This isn't anything like Manziel man.

C'mon. This is a kid, whether you like it or not, still has rape investigations going against him. And I know you don't like it either, but I think the victim's story got buried. And buried hard.

It's a chain reaction of idiocy from this kid that just shows he's incapable of maturing. This isn't about being a kid...

This just encapsulates everything wrong with the sports world in general. He can throw a ball real good, so who cares right?

Great. That's your opinion backed up with no facts. An opinion that will never be substantiated because the cops did that girl a disservice. But lets say that Winston isn't guilty, they did him the same disservice because he'll always have this hanging over his head too.

We don't know if he did it. So I'm not going to assume he did or didn't. I'm going to evaluate and criticize what I can based off of what I know. I'll let the people whose job it is to gather those facts and investigate worry about the other stuff.

I'm not sure on the rules of suspensions, but I can't imagine it being allowed that you can step foot on the playing field during the game or warmups. If so, just further NCAA failures.

I can't imagine that it's against the rules until the game is in progress. I doubt the NCAA cares that he's on the field during warm-ups when the suspension isn't an NCAA suspension. It's the school's own imposed punishment. In fact, Winston could have played today if they had wanted him to because the school gave out the punishment, not the NCAA.

And seriously, why do you keep defending him anyway?

Why do you keep attacking him? I defend him because I think the attacks are over the top. I think the kid is a stellar football player and I also know that I have no possible way to verify or investigate the issues he has off the field. So I'm going to "defend him" when people are trashing the guy on issues that would be completely overlooked if they were any other player based on Winston's history.

"The decision to extend the suspension was made because Winston was not entirely truthful or forthcoming regarding the incident, a source told ESPN."

Ah yes, the good old "anonymous source" on ESPN.

Excuses are like asses, man.

So are opinions...especially ones bred of ignorance.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you about this incident but as far as I'm concerned, the only reason he's not in prison right now is because the cops screwed up the rape complaint. He gets zero benefit of the doubt with me.

And that's based on your knowledge of the facts of the case, extensive experience in law enforcement and your extensive experience in the prosecution of criminals?

It amazes me how many people take the stance you're taking now, Alan, despite being completely ignorant of the facts of the case. The cops did botch the case...but there might not have been a case had they investigated it properly anyways. I don't know. Neither do you. This is America, though, and the presumption of innocence does exist. So I don't know why people are so insistent that Winston is guilty of rape when they don't know anything about what happened that night. I don't know anything about it so I'm going to plead ignorance.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Watching that game simply convinced me why Winston is the reason Florida State is #1 with him. He fired up the team on the bench and that allowed them to escape with a win at OT. That's something I'd love to see with our offense. He has the talent to read defenses well and stay tough in the pocket, a more polished Roethlisberger is the best way to describe him.

My only concern is his character obviously and his ability to deal with adversity. Will he scream at the coaches if things aren't going his way? I think Fisher would've handled the situation better by letting him dress but not play.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This isn't anything like Manziel man.

C'mon. This is a kid, whether you like it or not, still has rape investigations going against him. And I know you don't like it either, but I think the victim's story got buried. And buried hard.

It's a chain reaction of idiocy from this kid that just shows he's incapable of maturing. This isn't about being a kid...

This just encapsulates everything wrong with the sports world in general. He can throw a ball real good, so who cares right?

Great. That's your opinion backed up with no facts. An opinion that will never be substantiated because the cops did that girl a disservice. But lets say that Winston isn't guilty, they did him the same disservice because he'll always have this hanging over his head too.

We don't know if he did it. So I'm not going to assume he did or didn't. I'm going to evaluate and criticize what I can based off of what I know. I'll let the people whose job it is to gather those facts and investigate worry about the other stuff.

I'm not sure on the rules of suspensions, but I can't imagine it being allowed that you can step foot on the playing field during the game or warmups. If so, just further NCAA failures.

I can't imagine that it's against the rules until the game is in progress. I doubt the NCAA cares that he's on the field during warm-ups when the suspension isn't an NCAA suspension. It's the school's own imposed punishment. In fact, Winston could have played today if they had wanted him to because the school gave out the punishment, not the NCAA.

And seriously, why do you keep defending him anyway?

Why do you keep attacking him? I defend him because I think the attacks are over the top. I think the kid is a stellar football player and I also know that I have no possible way to verify or investigate the issues he has off the field. So I'm going to "defend him" when people are trashing the guy on issues that would be completely overlooked if they were any other player based on Winston's history.

"The decision to extend the suspension was made because Winston was not entirely truthful or forthcoming regarding the incident, a source told ESPN."

Ah yes, the good old "anonymous source" on ESPN.

Excuses are like asses, man.

So are opinions...especially ones born of ignor

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you about this incident but as far as I'm concerned, the only reason he's not in prison right now is because the cops screwed up the rape complaint. He gets zero benefit of the doubt with me.

And that's based on your knowledge of the facts of the case, extensive experience in law enforcement and your extensive experience in the prosecution of criminals?

It amazes me how many people take the stance you're taking now, Alan, despite being completely ignorant of the facts of the case. The cops did botch the case...but there might not have been a case had they investigated it properly anyways. I don't know. Neither do you. This is America, though, and the presumption of innocence does exist. So I don't know why people are so insistent that Winston is guilty of rape when they don't know anything about what happened that night. I don't know anything about it so I'm going to plead ignorance.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
If we do get Mariota, I'm fairly sure that'll mean we'll be absolutely miserable for the next 3 months. And I'm not at all sold on Mariota.

Yeah, someone just mentioned you weren't lol. And yeah, I sadly don't expect to get either. We won't be drafting that high.

Hopefully Winston drops like a rock. That's our only chance. He's a Fisher kind of guy, ya know? Fisher takes bad apples and makes cyder. :p

(I remember you from RRF, BTW. It's cool you post here. I don't really post anywhere else, these days. CGI sold me lol)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, someone just mentioned you weren't lol. And yeah, I sadly don't expect to get either. We won't be drafting that high.

Hopefully Winston drops like a rock. That's our only chance. He's a Fisher kind of guy, ya know? Fisher takes bad apples and makes cyder. :p

(I remember you from RRF, BTW. It's cool you post here. I don't really post anywhere else, these days. CGI sold me lol)

I remember you as well. I stopped posting there so this is the only Rams board I post on. :)

There are some concerns I have with Mariota that I need to see improved upon before I can get behind him fully. I think he's more of a project than people realize and more of one than a top 5/#1 pick should be. But if he shows improvement in those areas as the year goes on, it'll be easier for me to support him.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I remember you as well. I stopped posting there so this is the only Rams board I post on. :)

There are some concerns I have with Mariota that I need to see improved upon before I can get behind him fully. I think he's more of a project than people realize and more of one than a top 5/#1 pick should be. But if he shows improvement in those areas as the year goes on, it'll be easier for me to support him.

Right in, man. You just keep doing your thing. I look forward to seeing how you position changes, or doesn't, the closer to the draft we get.

209RamsFan

Yeah I hate JW and FSU...freaking little punk.....I hope FSU makes it to the Title game and gets their ASS kicked on national tv!!

209RamsFan

He is talented ...I will give him that...not sure if it's someone who would be a positive influence in the locker room.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I hate JW and FSU...freaking little punk.....I hope FSU makes it to the Title game and gets their ASS kicked on national tv!!

I hate FSU as well. Hoping they don't make it to the CFB playoffs. I hope they choke against some average ACC competition like NC State or Boston College.(sorry @Boston Ram)

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I hate FSU as well. Hoping they don't make it to the CFB playoffs. I hope they choke against some average ACC competition like NC State or Boston College.(sorry @Boston Ram)

I'm happy you think BC is average! I guess after beating USC that makes us at least average! Lol

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am on the fence about Winston.

I think the rape coverup is likely accurate. I really don't like it or his antics. But then again I was adamantly against Cam Newton, who is a documented thief and punk/thug type. I didn't think he would be a success in the NFL because I never thought he would mature enough to lead men or fit in the league. After seeing how that turned out I have to back off my stance on Winston.

cracengl

Rookie
Build up enough mole hills, and you'll get mountains. And Shameis is building it pretty well.

And apparently it teed of Jimbo enough he told him to get changed.

Seriously? Suspended players aren't allowed on the playing field as far as I know. And yea, his suspension was increased.

To me, it's more of a slap in the face of his punishment. A "I don't care," I'll go out there and act like I'm starting.

There's something wrong with this kid. And pushing away issues like this because of "talent" is exactly the problem with the NFL right now.

And ESPN yacking him up to be a leader is sickening.

You may not have caught the College Gameday segment devoted to this then. Samantha Ponder, Herbstreit, and Mack Brown, all hammered him and FSU pretty hard.

I don't know. I worry more about the guy's common sense more than anything else. I suspect he could still be a decent kid, because I've done dumb things before and I turned out okay. But if you don't have the common sense to realize that it's not smart for you to do that stuff from a career perspective, that's a problem...

jjab360

Legend
I am on the fence about Winston.

I think the rape coverup is likely accurate. I really don't like it or his antics. But then again I was adamantly against Cam Newton, who is a documented thief and punk/thug type. I didn't think he would be a success in the NFL because I never thought he would mature enough to lead men or fit in the league. After seeing how that turned out I have to back off my stance on Winston.
I thought Newton was gonna be fine coming out and I think Winston'll be fine too. Both of those guys are dedicated to their craft, which is way more important to me than the trumped up off the field rumors.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
It was funny. The kid doesn't seem to have a good brain. How can you keep making such dumb mistakes? I get that he's got his problems and I hope he works it out for himself, but its got to be with someone else other than my Rams.

Jimbo Fisher wouldn't look at himwou

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I watched video (several times)of Winston hamming for the cameras , Fisher asking him why he was dressed (inactive NFL players wear team gear not jerseys) how he handled the kid on the sideline,it SCREAMED that the power dynamic between them is upside down and that's why he was dressed he pretty well does what he wants , he has some issues IMO, that whole program is kissing his tukas cuz they know without him Clemson can beat them in their house .
The half game suspension was a joke which I have little doubt was told to Fisher by the schools administration ,hence the full game adjustment ( Roger Goodel can surely identify re: Ray Rice).
The culture of privilege for elite athlete's has rarely had a more appropriate poster child IMO and I totally agree , he's a spoiled brat who doesn't quite get what an NFL team is gonna want and need from a "face of the franchise". Maybe he'll grow up, but for now he's a grease fire and I'm glad my job isn't on the line depending on worrying what he'll do next.

FWIW he was suspended, his behavior didn't demonstrate in any way that he was at all remorseful about the fact that people who care about the academic institution beyond the football field adjudicated his behavior to be inconsistent with it's goals for the school ,it is still a school isn't it?or does the football program pre empt here?
It's instances like this that make everyday people resent athletes as they do, a PR disaster,John Wooden would cut him,ask Bill Walton.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I understand that it's not really fair to judge him too much right out of college, but then again I also realize he couldn't get a job at the companies we all work for with two sexual misconduct incidents. The days where your employer didn't care what you do on your own time are over, and I think the NFL is moving that way as well. I just dont think that he is real bright. I mean, what special kind of dumbass shouts remarks about a woman's p##$y knowing that 90% of the world believes you raped a girl? True or not,
it's not the wisest thing to do.