Jalen Ramsey's next contract will keep Rams spiraling downward in NFC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Les Snead weighs in on Rams' 2021 free agency dilemma

The Rams had several key starters hit free agency this offseason, led by Dante Fowler Jr. and Cory Littleton. They lost both, as well as Greg Zuerlein, but their pending free agents in 2021 are even more significant.

At the top of the list is Jalen Ramsey, who could get an extension before the season begins to prevent him from hitting free agency. Then there’s Cooper Kupp, John Johnson, Josh Reynolds, Gerald Everett, Austin Blythe and Troy Hill, all of whom will be key contributors in 2020.

To make matters worse, the salary cap could decrease next year as a result of lost revenue from the COVID-19 pandemic. But in general manager Les Snad’s eyes, the Rams don’t necessarily have to pick and choose one player over the other.

Snead was asked on a conference call Monday if he has any concerns about the cap decreasing next year.

“The ‘no concern’ would be this: It’s always really good to be in a position where you’re not concerned that you have players you want to pay. So, that’s the good thing,” he said. “But you definitely have to work through the scenarios. Sometimes in those scenarios, it doesn’t have to mean, ‘Well, don’t pay the player you really want to pay.’ You can actually pay that player and there may be some pains on other places on the roster. So, it doesn’t just have to be one or the other with the players you want to pay. That’s the good thing. I always say it’s a really good thing to have discussions about players you want to give a second contract to, because that usually means they’re proven performers. You’re certain about what they can do and how they impact and affect the locker room from a leadership standpoint.”

Snead and the Rams know there’s a possibility the salary cap will drop to $175 million, which would leave them with about $8 million in cap space next year. That wouldn’t be enough to even give Ramsey the franchise tag, which is a problem they’d have to solve.

While the team doesn’t know what the cap will be set at just yet, Snead and his staff have begun going over scenarios before next offseason arrives.

“I don’t know if it pushed it back or forward. What it really does is in your scenario planning, especially from the telescopic view is, just begin running scenarios,” he said. “Really, they’re if/then statements, right? If you do this, you know, what happens you know, what’s the other part of that equation. So, we’ll do a lot of that this August and you’re going to run scenarios in the goal of trying to continue putting a team on the field that, we expect to contend and be in contention for division championships, and then go from there.”

It’s an unfortunate situation that will undoubtedly cost free agents money and complicate roster-building strategies across the league, but it’s something the Rams will have to figure out.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
This writer is an idiot. What's wrong with signing elite players like Donald, Goff (yes, I consider Goff to be a top ten QB; he reached over 4,600 yards this year, even with our shit offensive line and lack of a running game), and Ramsey?

We can sign both Ramsey and Kupp and still have enough cap to sign depth free agents, draftees, and our own RFAs and ERFAs. Does that mean that we'll likely lose a John Johnson? Yes, but that's what we drafted Burgess and Fuller for: to replace JJ3 if he leaves. Every team has to deal with replacing vets with younger, cheaper players; that's part of the salary cap and how it works.

If we don't sign Ramsey, I'll be pissed. But I don't think he'll slack off if we do sign him; he's like AD in that he wants to be the greatest at his position. He just wants to get paid, and I don't have a problem with that.

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
This nitwit doesn't even understand it's not how much cap space the Rams have now compared to other loser franchises, but how much they can clear next year. I expect them with a few roster moves to be able to clear $25-$30M in cap space. They really have only 3 top players to extend. Ramsey, Kupp, and Johnson, though with Johnson it's not like they don't have a replacement already on the team in Burgess. In fact, I think they will focus only on Ramsey and Kupp and offer Johnson a "reasonable" contract since all teams will be under tight caps. If he walks they already have Burgess to play FS which is IMO the reason they specifically drafted Burgess. Also, they can move Rapp to FS and play start Fuller at SS so it's not like they don't have good options.

Regarding Burgess, he's coming in with a high ceiling but relatively raw. With only one year as a starter in a technique heavy environment, he's going to need coaching up. But Terrell has a very good work ethic so I think this year will serve him well. I see him initially rotating at NCB with Williams to get experience. He also will fit better in Hills role as a primary backup for the boundary CBs and for the safeties as well. So next year if they so choose the Rams can let Johnson walk. Johnson must show improvement. Too many times he's a step late. He doesn't have the speed you really want as a single high safety. To compensate, Johnson must improve his play recognition skills to allow him to get that extra step jump on the play, i.e. he needs to play more like Rapp.

So if the Rams focus primarily upon signing Kupp and Ramsey they will have the cap space to make it happen. This is what the idiot doesn't understand. The Rams are a case study in how to manage the cap and keep an elite core of players.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
The topic is a fair one.

Do not disagree that the topic is fair. However the article is not. The writer suggests the Rams are doomed.
I have a hard time taking any writer serious who says "The Rams arguably have the worst roster in the NFC West"

The article reads as if the Rams are being run by a bunch of clowns. As if Snead and company have put Zero thought
into their shaping of the Rams roster. I am not certain of many things, but I am absolutely certain that Snead
and company have a well thought out plan. I'm not here to say it is a guaranteed success, but contrary to the
writer's insinuations this team is not being run by incompetent idiots. That distinction would belong to him.

Hekker is paid at the top of his position, I just don't feel he fits under the big money umbrella.
IMO we only have two of those players currently with AD and Goff.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
These pinheads fail to understand that players like Ramsey and AD take options away from opposing offenses and allow for role players to do their jobs. Add in that we have JJ, Rapp, a beefed up middle, and it appears that we have a better defense than last year.

Our offense lost star power but not all that much production. We picked up what some are suggesting could be the OROY this season and that is a severe drop off? I'll believe it when defenses consistently stop our offense. They couldn't do it toward the end of last season and I suspect our offense starts faster this season.

But but but (Fuck)Witt said " The Rams arguably have the worst roster in the NFC West "
I'm so confused. Do I believe a (Fuck)Witt ? or do I believe someone like 503 who actually knows
our roster and makes valid points? What a conundrum

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Yeah, it's really gonna suck having Aaron Donald on the front end of our defense and Jalen Ramsey on the back end for all those years. Damn, we're just totally fucked, because it's pretty clear that there are 31 other teams in the NFL that would just hate being in that predicament. Sorry, guys ...

Yeah, and just fill in the gaps with high school players, because that's all we will be able to afford.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Let's see what we have secured in this year's draft. A bunch of scrubs and rookies? Every team in the league has to deal with rookies. Kupp played pretty well in his rookie year. This year Van Jefferson could contribute along the lines Cooper Kupp did in his first year. There are defensive rookies that could surprise as well. Up until now, Snead has drafted pretty well - no Greg Robinsons so far. I won't be astonished if Cam Akers has a good rookie season as well.

Snead is 100% responsible for the Greg Robinson pic, remember, he is a Baylor Bear homer.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I was against the Gurley and Cooks contracts. Despite Gurley's dominance he had a torn ligament at a position that is hard on the knees. Plus he's a runningback, which up until his contract were not getting mega deals. Cooks wasn't a number 1 receiver and his size gave me hesitation. at

But I was all in on Donald's signing. He's on the defensive line and is a game changer. Ramsey is a cornerback and a game changer. Two premiere positions that every team wants to have an all pro at. Most highly drafted positions on NFL teams are DT, DE, CB, LT, and QB. The Rams don't need a DE, so they are fortunate to three out of four in demand positions filled.

A couple of years down the road and Donalds contract is no longer looking so hefty. It will be the same with Ramsey.

Tano

Legend
I was against the Gurley and Cooks contracts. Despite Gurley's dominance he had a torn ligament at a position that is hard on the knees. Plus he's a runningback, which up until his contract were not getting mega deals. Cooks wasn't a number 1 receiver and his size gave me hesitation. at

But I was all in on Donald's signing. He's on the defensive line and is a game changer. Ramsey is a cornerback and a game changer. Two premiere positions that every team wants to have an all pro at. Most highly drafted positions on NFL teams are DT, DE, CB, LT, and QB. The Rams don't need a DE, so they are fortunate to three out of four in demand positions filled.

A couple of years down the road and Donalds contract is no longer looking so hefty. It will be the same with Ramsey.
And don't forgot Goff's contract will really look reasonable a couple years from now

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Yeah, and just fill in the gaps with high school players, because that's all we will be able to afford.

Glad you have so much confidence in the drafting ability of Snead and McVay. I'll take their record over your predictions, thank you very much.

Tano

Legend
Snead is 100% responsible for the Greg Robinson pic, remember, he is a Baylor Bear homer.
I disagree. Fisher was primarily responsible for the Greg Robinson pic. Snead could have okay with it since his OL picks are not his best strength but I think Fisher was the one jumping up and down for the pick.

On offense, Fisher almost always went for the huge upside but very raw - Greg Robinson Brian Quick Pead and Givens pop into my mind right now.

Of course - I am happy that Fisher also chose Goff and Gurley.

Since Fisher has left, Snead has drafted players who know how to play the game in the first 4 rounds - Kupp Rapp Johnson etc and now Akers and Jefferson (Lewis might be on the raw talent side but he seems to know the game - think the injury history is more of a concern).

Some have not proven to pan out - Allen (TBD), Noteboom (TBD), the 4th round center that I can't remember off the top of my head (but he had a foot injury that he couldn't overcome) - all OLs - Snead definitely has issues picking OL but he has been extremely good on all the other positions. Someone needs to take over on the OL picks - I don't think Kromer is exceptionally good at judging talent out of the draft either.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Fisher was primarily responsible for the Greg Robinson pic.

Absolutely - that was a classic Fisher pick, choosing athleticism over actual talent under the presumption that they could be developed into a good or great player. It may have worked on the defensive side of the ball, but the tracker record under Fisher on the offensive side of the ball with these type of picks - Robinson, Tavon Austin, Brian Quick, was pretty dismal.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Yeah, it's really gonna suck having Aaron Donald on the front end of our defense and Jalen Ramsey on the back end for all those years. Damn, we're just totally fucked, because it's pretty clear that there are 31 other teams in the NFL that would just hate being in that predicament. Sorry, guys ...
Exactly, who doesn't miss the glory years of the franchise when the Rams got to pick 3rd every year and had unlimited amounts of salary cap room?!

Flint

Pro Bowler
I can only guess that the worst roster comment is a shot at Goff, I mean Kupp, Woods and Higbee, not too shabby. AD, Ramsey, JJ, Brock, also don’t suck. The Rams have as much talent as anyone else in the west. If we’re just going by roster I don’t know how the Hags ended up 11-5 and that’s why it might be about qbs. Russ is the 2nd or 3rd best qb in the league depending on who you ask and Murray was ROY and Garapalo was in the SB. Goff had a down year so you could come to the conclusion that he was the worst qb in the division.
Everyone else also made a splashy trade this offseason while most of the Rams additions were by subtraction. Gurley and Cooks were important pieces to this offense but I felt like whatever was going on was dragging the offense down.
So, what is this really about? Did the front office have no idea Ramsey wanted to set the market when they made the trade and the impact on the cap? That’s kinda how this piece makes it sound.
The 9ers went to the SB so let’s say they have a talented roster but I’m not willing to say the cards have all this talent and are ready to challenge. And why is this important anyway? The Cowboys have been loaded at various times and still ended up 8-8 not making the playoffs and the Pats were never the most talented they just win rings.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man, what a poorly written article. The Rams "fell just short of winning the Super Bowl." Say what? Even a Rams homer cant make that claim without knowing they are embellishing the crap out of it
"They've fallen off precipitously since then" mmm... 9-7 is precipitously? Even though 2 teams made the playoffs with that same record?
Yeah, the Cooks and Gurley contract dumps arent a good look, but are we a better team with them still on it? Playing at 2019 level? I dont think so....
Still and all, without Ramsey, Rams were 3-3, with him they finished 6-4.
Ergo, they are a better team with him, then without him

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
So dumb. By definition, good/elite players cost money and will eat into your cap and prevent getting others. If there was a way to fill your roster will 53 elite guys who make under $5M then you’d obviously do so. But you can’t.

Elite players are more impactful than non elite players. You want them and you pay them. The important thing is to pay those that will stay healthy, are young and will make an impact. TG and Cooks were mistakes. That doesn’t mean you don’t want AD, Ramsey, etc.

You also need to draft good throughout the draft rounds and develop these low cost guys. I’m confident in that side for the Rams.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The draft for the Rams is becoming a lot more important than it has been. We need out draft class of this year to really stand out if we want to win the division. Obviously, for god's sake, we need to keep our draft picks from here on out. Signing Ramsey will not be a death sentence in the NFC West, but it may cost us players like Kupp, and Johnson. The author of this article is, in fact, a tool bag, but the basis of his obvious 49er rhetoric does have some merit.