Jalen Ramsey's next contract will keep Rams spiraling downward in NFC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
We do have 3 players who are nearly top paid at their position in the league. Talking about Donald, Goff, and Hekker.

So Donald, Goff, Hekker, and maybe Ramsey. What about Kupp?

How many premium contracts can a roster hold, like this?

The topic is a fair one. My starting point is like @OC--LeftCoast ... he's among the best, no question... seems like we'd be idiots not to extend him... But that puts 4 premium contracts on the roster. Is that a good thing? And we still need to decide about Kupp.

It feels like something has to give, IMO.

This!!!
It's why the Patriots have been so good for so long. We'll see now that Brady is gone but they almost never overpay their vets. Infact they usually let them walk

Flint

Pro Bowler
Man, what a poorly written article. The Rams "fell just short of winning the Super Bowl." Say what? Even a Rams homer cant make that claim without knowing they are embellishing the crap out of it
"They've fallen off precipitously since then" mmm... 9-7 is precipitously? Even though 2 teams made the playoffs with that same record?
Yeah, the Cooks and Gurley contract dumps arent a good look, but are we a better team with them still on it? Playing at 2019 level? I dont think so....
Still and all, without Ramsey, Rams were 3-3, with him they finished 6-4.
Ergo, they are a better team with him, then without him
The SB was a 1 possession game into the 4th, if I remember right, so yeah, despite what they say on tv, I believe the Rams coulda won that game. If Cooks comes down with that ball who knows what happens.
It’s tough for a player as young as Goff to win a game like that in his first try without much help from his all world rb, there’s a long list of young qbs who’ve come up small including Brady, Ben and Manning.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The SB was a 1 possession game into the 4th, if I remember right, so yeah, despite what they say on tv, I believe the Rams coulda won that game. If Cooks comes down with that ball who knows what happens.
It’s tough for a player as young as Goff to win a game like that in his first try without much help from his all world rb, there’s a long list of young qbs who’ve come up small including Brady, Ben and Manning.
Coming up just short is what happened to the Titans in 99.
The Rams just couldn’t get it together and played a bad game.
Im not being critical of that, I’m critical of someone who can embellish that game as a “just missed” and then define a season that truly “just missed” the playoffs as some sort of disaster

oldnotdead

Legend
Geez people so much anxiety about nada. Every year people moan about the cap. Every year the Rams handle it.

3 roster moves clear almost $21M, so if the cap is about $180M which IMO is the least it will be, then the Rams will have $27-$28M in cap space to sign two players, Kupp and Ramsey. They can kick the can on both with cap-friendly deals in 2021 with the expectation of a cap increase in 2022 back to a normal level. Or they can restructure AD's contract and still get it done in 2021. Both Jalen and Cooper's contracts will probably average out about $17M / year each. If the cap is $185M which is possible, then they might not need to restructure AD or anyone's contract.

All this doesn't figure in rollover from this year. They can make roster moves now to create that rollover space for next year. Case in point is Troy Hill if he is traded or released this year it clears about $3.8M. With the flexibility, Staley has in his secondary IMO that's a lot of money for a guy that probably won't play unless there are roster losses to COVID.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This!!!
It's why the Patriots have been so good for so long. We'll see now that Brady is gone but they almost never overpay their vets. Infact they usually let them walk

That is what The Rams are trying to do.

Bottom lines is The Rams Freaked up on Todd Gurley & the 2018 draft so far.

Brandon Cooks vs Jefferson is worth it.

Cam is the guy now. Add Malcom Brown as the veteran & Henderson coming into his own.

This 2017 draft is going to pay dividends with J. smooth &’Everett.
The Rams drafted well in 2020.

2019 with Corbett,Edwards, & Evans .
All the doubters don’t get it !!!

D.Long & T. Rapp.

No one is talking about the veteran pro bowler to be John Johnson. His injury basically cost The Rams a playoff run ??

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I’ll add about the article. To each his own. I think RAMsey is going to bring a lot to this team.

Did anyone see his interview about his contract ?? I like how he handled it in a way. He is not a fan of the media.They keep asking & pushing questions. It’s sort of funny how the one reporter still went back to it in a way ??
I think he will be a bright spot for The Rams. Pleasant is going to have his guys ready & as well as the Safety coach ?? Both add there own element to the DB group.

Blake & Robey we’re both solid DB’s
Talib & Peters gone.

T. Hill is underrated & being a starter against Atlanta in McVays first playoff game. Still here & is now a veteran.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I’ll add about the article. To each his own. I think RAMsey is going to bring a lot to this team.

Did anyone see his interview about his contract ?? I like how he handled it in a way. He is not a fan of the media.They keep asking & pushing questions. It’s sort of funny how the one reporter still went back to it in a way ??
I think he will be a bright spot for The Rams. Pleasant is going to have his guys ready & as well as the Safety coach ?? Both add there own element to the DB group.

Blake & Robey we’re both solid DB’s
Talib & Peters gone.

T. Hill is underrated & being a starter against Atlanta in McVays first playoff game. Still here & is now a veteran.
Yeah I watched it. I thought he handled it well for him for how hes been in the past. He was assertive yet respectful. Walking out might not have been the best choice but he did come back with a smile on his face and finished the interview while explaining the situation the best that he could. I think he's trying to be better.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah I watched it. I thought he handled it well for him for how hes been in the past. He was assertive yet respectful. Walking out might not have been the best choice but he did come back with a smile on his face and finished the interview while explaining the situation the best that he could. I think he's trying to be better.

Credit Mcvay & The Rams for giving him his space & respect.The questions were sort of silly. They need to do a better job.

Where is professionalism?? Do your job !!! Come prepared ,for the player & Fans !!!

I think there were a lot of questions that could have been asked that weren’t. Who was the young guy that used to post here ?? Downtown Brown ?? He was learning , but was still more prepared & held an interview. These reports get 1 maybe 2 questions each. How hard is it ??

Any way . I’m excited for the season & hate missing training camp. Always a good feeling to see the players on the grass with the coaching staff !! Especially in Pads.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
Credit Mcvay & The Rams for giving him his space & respect.The questions were sort of silly. They need to do a better job.

Where is professionalism?? Do your job !!! Come prepared ,for the player & Fans !!!

I think there were a lot of questions that could have been asked that weren’t. Who was the young guy that used to post here ?? Downtown Brown ?? He was learning , but was still more prepared & held an interview. These reports get 1 maybe 2 questions each. How hard is it ??

Any way . I’m excited for the season & hate missing training camp. Always a good feeling to see the players on the grass with the coaching staff !! Especially in Pads.
I agree. I liked that Jalen stood up to them about asking the same question over and over until they get the answer they wanted. Gets old listening to them dig and dig until they find even the smallest of things and then put their own twist on it to blow it out of proportion to make it seem like a story.