Jake Matthews grade from preaseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Wanted Matthews also but with Boudreau coaching Robinson up, I'm feeling more comfortable with the pick.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Thordaddy said:
Not lookin for a fight here man but the damned game is injury prone,the NON injury prone players are so rare,IMO the term IP is somewhat unfair, but point taken we gotta be healthy or were gonna struggle
My point was we needed quality help on the line more than WR. Also, to not notice that JLong, Saffold, and Wells get hurt at a greater rate than other players would be irresponsible IMO. I realize the game is injury prone, but one only needs to look at the roll call at the trainers office to notice some players names are familiar.

F. Mulder

Starter
I love Robinson but anyone who is thinking Mathews is not going to be an above average consistent OT for years to come is crazy. I would take an entire line filled with JMs.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I think this is a topic that needs to come up at the end of the season, and see how each guy fares. I know some people would have rather drafted Matthews, so this is a good comparison.

But give both guys time to learn the game a little bit first, it's a little early to judge either player yet.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Bust. Everyone knows, that if your a top pick you should be elite from day 1. Bust.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I loved the Greg Williams pick... I would have been just as happy with Mathews or Watkins.... and although I will not attempt to guess whose career will be better I will say this..... I watched the call.... holding on the long TD run and that would have been tough to take.....In my opinion was a good block....Go Rams..... ;)

PolarBear

Rookie
A) Jake Mathew went against Cameron Wake, one of the top nfl pass rushers, for the majority of the night.
B) Mathews is a way more polished player with lower upside than Robinson, if Robinson becomes better than Mathews by the end of the preseason, we would have undoubtedly made the right decision to pick Robinson over Mathews.
C) Mathews was never in the running to be drafted #2, in fact Zach Martin was rated higher on their board.

JRobinson

MiLB
I, like others, wanted Robinson. I believe that he was the guy all along. We are running the football boys and in doing that, we selected the best run blocking and athletic OL in the draft. Now, if we were a passing team, I would have wanted Matthews. Why? Because in this case, I'd want to have a better pass protector who needs to improve on the run rather than the opposite. But because of our scheme and point of emphasis, Greg Robinson is the better choice for us.

I was also the guy screaming for DeCastro, and Cooper. But, I'm glad we ended up with the players that we did. I'm just a firm believer in building from the trenches out and I'm glad we addressed it with Robinson.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
A) Jake Mathew went against Cameron Wake, one of the top nfl pass rushers, for the majority of the night.
B) Mathews is a way more polished player with lower upside than Robinson, if Robinson becomes better than Mathews by the end of the preseason, we would have undoubtedly made the right decision to pick Robinson over Mathews.
C) Mathews was never in the running to be drafted #2, in fact Zach Martin was rated higher on their board.
I didn't know that about Martin. .... wow that would have been a reach at no 2 or inside the top ten....at least in my opinion. ...Back to Mathews and Watkins....was thinking if the rams traded down further in the first ten picks....imo.....Martin's value was right around were he was drafted....just my thoughts.....go Robinson. ...Go Rams..... ;)

A55VA6

Legend
I love Robinson but anyone who is thinking Mathews is not going to be an above average consistent OT for years to come is crazy. I would take an entire line filled with JMs.
They both have a chance to be great players in this league, for sure.

I just feel Matthews is almost a finished product. Robinson has some room to improve and has some adjusting to do, but I'd take his size/athletic ability over Matthews. Especially in the offense we're running.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I wanted Zack Martin (and Watkins...) because he is a better pass blocker than Robinson and a better run blocker than Matthews.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I loved Matthews at the time and he was my #1 guy and still is, but I am excited and happy to have Robinson, so I had no problem with the pick. Didn't think we could have gone wrong whatsoever.

Week 1 preseason games have no effect on how a player might turn out though. It means nothing. Jake Matthews will still be the guy I thought he would be.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I was a Robinson/Donald guy all along...so if these guys bust out i'll be a man about it and blame Snead. :)