It doesn't matter if it's Goff or Keenum...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder how Keenum's college numbers would compare in that area. Also, though I have said before that I didn't like Goff's deep ball, in his defense, he had way too little time to get the pass off with that pathetic O-line at Cal. How much more accurate is he if he can actually step into some of those deep throws?

I'm with you. I hope he has time and he delivers. Could be.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I can't remember if they ever made any official injury report designation for Gurley but I remember him dinging his knee a little towards the end of the season. I think that changed how much they were using him towards the end because there wasn't a huge need to overwork him since playoffs were out of the question. So I think his reduced carries were more of a precaution thing not to get too crazy with him at the end of a lost season. Which was smart imo.

I fully expect him to be getting 25 carries a game this whole season.

5 games out the Rams still had playoff possibilities.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I can't remember if they ever made any official injury report designation for Gurley but I remember him dinging his knee a little towards the end of the season. I think that changed how much they were using him towards the end because there wasn't a huge need to overwork him since playoffs were out of the question. So I think his reduced carries were more of a precaution thing not to get too crazy with him at the end of a lost season. Which was smart imo.

I fully expect him to be getting 25 carries a game this whole season.

He definitely had a turf toe at the very end of the season.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
It all falls on the offensive line. It starts and ends there. The time to pass and creases to run.
That's why I'm so glad they addressed the offensive line through the draft ahead of selecting a quarterback.

Things are looking up.

RamWoodie

Legend
...Gurley will still be the best RB in the NFL this season!

What I don't get is why he was killing teams at 22 carries per game the first 5 and they dropped him to 14 the last 5. Tired? Conspiracy? Stupid?

Anyone suspect Goff is going to be throwing a lot to Gurley? I do.

I can also see record seasons for Britt and Austin.

Gurley the best this season? I'd like to see it, but I'm not going to make that call just yet. Too many other factors involved. How does he get to that level without the T*E*A*M?

We all know the Rams offense has lacked explosiveness, generally because it's been too generic for the most part;

I definitely have to see the offensive attack...specifically the passing attack because if you can't pass, teams are simply gonna do "8 in the box" against Gurley, not fearing the Rams passing. While Girley could still finish as a top RB in the league...what does that mean if the team is 6-10, 7-9, or 8-8 and out of the playoffs again?

Lots of questions to be answered FIRST!

RamzFanz

Damnit
Gurley the best this season? I'd like to see it, but I'm not going to make that call just yet. Too many other factors involved. How does he get to that level without the T*E*A*M?

We all know the Rams offense has lacked explosiveness, generally because it's been too generic for the most part;

I definitely have to see the offensive attack...specifically the passing attack because if you can't pass, teams are simply gonna do "8 in the box" against Gurley, not fearing the Rams passing. While Girley could still finish as a top RB in the league...what does that mean if the team is 6-10, 7-9, or 8-8 and out of the playoffs again?

Lots of questions to be answered FIRST!

Not disagreeing about the team or offense, Gurley will still be the top RB in my homer opinion. If they had used him full time all season last season, which they couldn't and shouldn't of course, he would have easily been the best. Will the O be better this season? We'll see.

RamWoodie

Legend
Not disagreeing about the team or offense, Gurley will still be the top RB in my homer opinion. If they had used him full time all season last season, which they couldn't and shouldn't of course, he would have easily been the best. Will the O be better this season? We'll see.
Well...we know last year the OLine could run block better than pass block...and the Rams had enough in Cook, Britt, and TA to keep the defenses honest. Cook is gone to the Packers (which will probably be a better fit for him).

The thing I would ask you to consider is last year Gurley was a rookie...and not much film existed on him. This year, teams will have a lot of film on Gurley...and they'll know his strength and speed. They will game plan better for him this year.

That's why I think the offense needs a stronger passing game...it can help keep defenses honest, where Gurley can get more room to operate. Gurley reminds me of Eddie George, only he can slash run better than George did, which makes him a better RB.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Well...we know last year the OLine could run block better than pass block...and the Rams had enough in Cook, Britt, and TA to keep the defenses honest. Cook is gone to the Packers (which will probably be a better fit for him).

The thing I would ask you to consider is last year Gurley was a rookie...and not much film existed on him. This year, teams will have a lot of film on Gurley...and they'll know his strength and speed. They will game plan better for him this year.

If you really think Jared Cook was keeping anyone honest last year I don't know what to tell you. The passing game should improve under Goff. Also, teams still don't have film of Gurley when he's 100%. They'll obviously be game planning for him but he'll also be healthy and have a better O-line to run behind. Teams have been game planning for Gurley and stacking the box for years now. It normally only prolongs the inevitable.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hey Man, Zaphod, I"m with you guys. It all starts up front, and the 2016 season hinges on how well the new OL performs. They have a year under their belts. Barnes had only 4 starts to his credit, Saffold got hurt (again), Brown broke his leg, GRob didn't have a clue until they put Reynolds next to him ( Reynolds was the best FA vet signing for the OL in years).
But things are looking up for the OL. GRob showed marked improvement the last five games. No penalties, picked up his man, no sacks. Reynolds played very well, great FA OL signing. Barnes started holding his own and not getting pushed back into the pocket like he was at the beginning of the season. Wichmann and Donnal getting valuable playing time. Havenstien did well. Rams OL has a chance to get something they haven't had in years----CONTINUITY!

For the last ten years its been a revolving door for the Rams OL. FA vets that didn't work out, injuries, just bad players. Then last year they did what they should have done years ago, drafted a handful and start em. Good depth too, with Reynolds, Saffold, Williams, Rhaney.

First time in years I actually think the Rams OL will be a strength this coming season, and I think how well they play in pre-season will determine when Goff will get his chance. Growing together with Rams young OL---CONTINUITY!

RamWoodie

Legend
If you really think Jared Cook was keeping anyone honest last year I don't know what to tell you. The passing game should improve under Goff. Also, teams still don't have film of Gurley when he's 100%. They'll obviously be game planning for him but he'll also be healthy and have a better O-line to run behind. Teams have been game planning for Gurley and stacking the box for years now. It normally only prolongs the inevitable.
Read what I said. I never said Jared Cook kept anyone honest, I said "the Rams had enough in Cook, Britt and TA..."

As for Goff...I'm just not inclined to think he's as ready as some here think...and I don't think he gets the nod as the starter at QB. I think he has great skills...especially throwing...but I don't think he's ready yet to face NFL defenses yet.

Time will tell.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think you are correct about Keenum. Goff is not good over 40 yards.

Two of the three throws you lined weren't 40+ yard throws under PFF's system. Keenum underthrew the one that was more than 40 yards.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I don't get is why he was killing teams at 22 carries per game the first 5 and they dropped him to 14 the last 5. Tired? Conspiracy? Stupid?

Those numbers are heavily influenced by the fact that we got blown out in 2 of the last 5 games. That resulted in a low number of carries for Gurley because we were passing while playing from behind.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Those numbers are heavily influenced by the fact that we got blown out in 2 of the last 5 games. That resulted in a low number of carries for Gurley because we were passing while playing from behind.
That's not really true. What happened to 3-1 in the last 4 games? I think you mean 2 of the last 6 games.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
CONSPIRACY!!
I think ti was a great thing to ease the rookie into the end of a lost season...he was getting dinged up too...
It all falls on the offensive line. It starts and ends there. The time to pass and creases to run.
--- True in some sense, but not the whole truth. The offensive line was playing pretty well when Foles couldn't complete a third down. Keenum played a lot better than Foles.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He put the knee brace back on late in they year too didn't he.......I think maybe they were letting him work back at a pace that minimized risk, and I'm OK with that because this young man has a really big time future ahead of him.
That showed when The Tams sat Gurley against the 49ers.
--What sitting Gutley showed was how far TRE Mason regressed.His fumbling & lack of breaking tackles were a sore spot.Then now his arrest.

--Watt is coming back & is a real good RB. I don't think the drugs are the difference . It is the fact he had to sit out.

-- Brown got some solid playing time against the 49ers , looks to be an excellent short yardage back. He is a beast !!
--- Bennie Cunningham is a team leader, and Todd Gurley loves how the 2 of them compete & push each other. Anyone see The Rams home opener against The Sea Hags ?? Tre didn't play. Then came the Skins & Tre Mason.
Bennie is s top KR as well as a very good 3rd down back.He always finds away.Take a look back at who got the first downs to move the chains.
-- my biggest concern is the way Gurley exposes himself(not in that way)to defenders.Jumping over DB's heads at full speed scares me.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That's not really true. What happened to 3-1 in the last 4 games? I think you mean 2 of the last 6 games.

Yeah-- That Bears game was a killer. Brown & Williams out for the season. Fisher kept plugging in that (Andrew Donnal)white boy with long hair from Iowa in. I really like his upside, but he really needs to stay in the wait room.
Cody Wichmann played a lot better once the coaching staff put him in. His first game he learned a lot.