Is Tre Mason fast?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
The kid has vision and fast side to side moves. He's patient enough to let the hole develope but doesn't dance around and get trapped. He also has a second gear when he's open. He can take a hit and deliver one too.

What I LOVE about his style is that he doesn't overuse his moves. He keeps the ball moving downfield. He gets every yard he can without risking getting caged in trying to be too fancy.

If Saffold and Robinson deliver holes, he, Stacey, and Cunningham are going to be very fun to watch! I'm also willing to bet ROD $ that he becomes a KR star!

Thanks for posting, RamzFanz. Outstanding video.

While watching, I couldn't help noticing that LOT, #73.

That kid simply erased his man on every single play. Gawd, wouldn't he look good on our OL?

Oh WAIT..... Lol.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He wasn't on my radar before the draft and I thought it was a strange pick for the Rams but now I see why.
Yeah, I didn't see that coming either (don't know if anyone did). But you can see why now. Deep RB corps now. Anything to get Bradford the opportunity to capitalize on play-action is great. He's deadly at it. And if people want our receivers to get open, then watch it happen as the run game dominates. It's all linked.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Thanks for posting, RamzFanz. Outstanding video.

While watching, I couldn't help noticing that LOT, #73.

That kid simply erased his man on every single play. Gawd, wouldn't he look good on our OL?

Oh WAIT..... Lol.

WOW, great point. I was so focused on Tre's moves, I didn't even think to look. Man, he can blow up some holes! Pushing 2 and 3 guys around like a bulldozer!

I love the plays where the Defense won't even engage him. They're like, naaaa, maybe next play!

He also went downfield and delivered some bone crushers springing Tre.

RamWoodie

Legend
You don't have to be fast *if* you're quick! SOmetimes people get the two mixed up. Take Pead (for instance), that guy runs a 4.47 "40" but with his quickness he can make a guy miss and get 10 more yards.

He's been an enigma here...but it *looks like* the Rams are going to have to get this guy in on some plays. Training camp is going to determine that...but let's look at the 40's listed for the Rbs the Rams have:

Pead - 4.47

Stacy - 4.55

Mason - 4.50

Cunningham - 4.60

People love speed...but it's *quickness* with speed that makse a guy lethal!!!

For the NFL running back, speed doesn't even come into play until you show you have the vision to make good decision. Speed comes into play after that, because you can leave a guy in your dust...:LOL:

RamSECUT

UDFA
Mason was able to run away from FSU defenders in the championship game, and he was able to put up record setting numbers in the SEC championship against a very athletic Mizzou defense.
He's not slow at all, but what makes him so dangerous is his "on a dime" jump cuts. Mason can plant his foot, cut, and be up to full speed immediately. At 5'8" 207 lbs, he's hard to tackle.
I'm sure there are faster dbs in the league, but, like Bam Morris said about Deion in the '95 Superbowl when asked what would happen if he broke away and Deion gave chase. "He ain't gone tackle me."
Mason's game speed is faster than his taped speed, and ive never seen him get caught from behind.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
You don't have to be fast *if* you're quick! SOmetimes people get the two mixed up. Take Pead (for instance), that guy runs a 4.47 "40" but with his quickness he can make a guy miss and get 10 more yards.

He's been an enigma here...but it *looks like* the Rams are going to have to get this guy in on some plays. Training camp is going to determine that...but let's look at the 40's listed for the Rbs the Rams have:

Pead - 4.47

Stacy - 4.55

Mason - 4.50

Cunningham - 4.60

For the NFL running back, speed doesn't even come into play until you show you have the vision to make good decision. Speed comes into play after that, because you can leave a guy in your dust...:LOL:
Quickness and ability to see the holes and field

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I've always said football speed is different than just running straight for a time. My son was a good runner in track when he ran the 100, 200, etc. But he had great football speed. His ability to start, stop, jump, cut and run away from defenders was amazing. So a guy might have a great 40 time and be considered fast, but may be football slow.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I've always said football speed is different than just running straight for a time. My son was a good runner in track when he ran the 100, 200, etc. But he had great football speed. His ability to start, stop, jump, cut and run away from defenders was amazing. So a guy might have a great 40 time and be considered fast, but may be football slow.
True dat! My son was NEVER a speedster ... but he was an All-Everything in HS as a WR and at the JUCCO level he was Ca. All State with a 16.7 YPC avg. He just knew how to run routes and find the spots

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
True dat! My son was NEVER a speedster ... but he was an All-Everything in HS as a WR and at the JUCCO level he was Ca. All State with a 16.7 YPC avg. He just knew how to run routes and find the spots

Nice. Same with my son. He started out as a QB in college and moved to receiver his sophomore year. Although it was at the NAIA level, he led the nation in receiving yardage his senior year. He had 14.3 YPC. Not many can say they played in 3 National Championship games during their career. They did win one of three. He was the starting QB in the National Championship game his freshman year. Don't you love football!

RamzFanz

Damnit

Pead - 4.47

Stacy - 4.55

Mason - 4.50

Cunningham - 4.60

There's also burst vs distance. TA is burst speed master but a very fast distance runner can cover him long or run him down.

RamWoodie

Legend
This is a great discussion...and I sure wish I was able to just take off when camp starts and be there everyday...but that's a pipe dream.

This year, I'm not worried about the WRs or the RBs...but I would love to see them battle it out in camp!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This is a great discussion...and I sure wish I was able to just take off when camp starts and be there everyday...but that's a pipe dream.

This year, I'm not worried about the WRs or the RBs...but I would love to see them battle it out in camp!
What do you expect to see out of the receivers this year, Woodie?

RamWoodie

Legend
I expect the Ram WRs to show the ability to stretch the field...especially Britt and Givens. The guys I think really make a move are Tavon Austin and Brian Quick. Then we have Bailey coming back week 5! These guys are going to put the West on notice that you best respect the Ram passing attack. Quick may do well enough to share time as a starter

It still has to be seen...but I don't think teams are going to be able to stack the box anymore.

nighttrain

Legend
Yep. Now ... will it translate? That's my *only* concern with him. Obviously everyone at this level is much faster, and not every RB can overcome that.
seems to be able to run inside and outside, and with enough speed to take it to the house. sure am hoping for this kid to be the real deal
train

nighttrain

Legend
I expect the Ram WRs to show the ability to stretch the field...especially Britt and Givens. The guys I think really make a move are Tavon Austin and Brian Quick. Then we have Bailey coming back week 5! These guys are going to put the West on notice that you best respect the Ram passing attack. Quick may do well enough to share time as a starter

It still has to be seen...but I don't think teams are going to be able to stack the box anymore.
agree with all you have said regarding our receivers, think Quick will get it this year.
train

RamSECUT

UDFA
There's also burst vs distance. TA is burst speed master but a very fast distance runner can cover him long or run him down.
I've heard Tavon Austin make that statement himself. In the 40, he said he could outrun just about all of the other Ram players, but, in a 100 meter dash, he admitted that Janoris Jenkins and some others like Chris Givens could beat him.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
Stacy and Mason both seem to have very good vision when running the ball

Yup, and that's why I was wanting Mason. I thought he would give us much better depth at RB. After Stacy would go out, we lacked anything special behind him. Richardson was not great at finding holes and falling forward. Cunningham is more north/south. We need a back who can sniff out the holes and pound it forward for positive yards. Also, Mason is really good at setting up defenders by running a direction simply because he wants the defender to go that way and then cut back the other way. Stacy can do this as well but I think Mason is quicker. They should make a great tandem in my opinion!

SierraRam

Recreational User
From NFL Draft Geek:

Pros
  • Runs like a bowling ball; tacklers bounce off him (Think Maurice Jones-Drew/Doug Martin)
  • Tree trunks for legs; extremely strong lower body enables him to run through tackles and drive forward
  • Lightning quick feet with outstanding agility; tremendous jump-cut allows him to dodge defenders in the hole
  • Shifty and slippery; runs low to the ground with a low center of gravity; hard to corral
  • Excellent burst; hits the hole with authority
  • Tremendous vision and anticipation; games moves in slow motion for him
  • Gets stronger over the course of the game
  • Patience is outstanding; does a great job setting up his blockers
  • Finishes his runs; falls forward
  • Runs a lot bigger than his size; can get the tough yards and be a short-yardage back
Cons
  • Straight line speed and acceleration are not elite
  • Doesn't really have that second gear to breakaway from the defense
  • Questions about him being a "system back" in Auburn's run-heavy offense
  • Can be engulfed at the line of scrimmage due to his lack of size
Overall
Many remember Bo Jackson as the best college running back of all time, but he doesn't even own the record for single season rushing for his own school. That belongs to Mr. Tre Mason Jr. Tre was an absolute beast in 2013 and came within a minute of literally carrying his team to a National Championship.

Mason's touchdown run with 1:19 left in the National Championship game 100% epitomizes his game. Tacklers bounce off Mason as he trucks forward unfazed, he gets stronger as they game wears on while defenders get tired coupled with his absolute refusal to be denied.

People knock Mason because he is a tad bit undersized but he runs as strong as any running back who is 240 pounds. Granted he isn't a De'Anthony Thomas type burner, his speed was good enough to gash the SEC for over 2,000 yards of offense this year.

Tre Mason is one of my favorite overall players in this year's draft and I believe him to be the best running back in the 2014 draft.

- See more at: http://nfldraftgeek.com/tremason_scoutingreport.html#sthash.vNhFeXpf.dpuf

I'm satisfied.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From NFL Draft Geek:

Pros
  • Runs like a bowling ball; tacklers bounce off him (Think Maurice Jones-Drew/Doug Martin)
  • Tree trunks for legs; extremely strong lower body enables him to run through tackles and drive forward
  • Lightning quick feet with outstanding agility; tremendous jump-cut allows him to dodge defenders in the hole
  • Shifty and slippery; runs low to the ground with a low center of gravity; hard to corral
  • Excellent burst; hits the hole with authority
  • Tremendous vision and anticipation; games moves in slow motion for him
  • Gets stronger over the course of the game
  • Patience is outstanding; does a great job setting up his blockers
  • Finishes his runs; falls forward
  • Runs a lot bigger than his size; can get the tough yards and be a short-yardage back
Cons
  • Straight line speed and acceleration are not elite
  • Doesn't really have that second gear to breakaway from the defense
  • Questions about him being a "system back" in Auburn's run-heavy offense
  • Can be engulfed at the line of scrimmage due to his lack of size
Overall
Many remember Bo Jackson as the best college running back of all time, but he doesn't even own the record for single season rushing for his own school. That belongs to Mr. Tre Mason Jr. Tre was an absolute beast in 2013 and came within a minute of literally carrying his team to a National Championship.

Mason's touchdown run with 1:19 left in the National Championship game 100% epitomizes his game. Tacklers bounce off Mason as he trucks forward unfazed, he gets stronger as they game wears on while defenders get tired coupled with his absolute refusal to be denied.

People knock Mason because he is a tad bit undersized but he runs as strong as any running back who is 240 pounds. Granted he isn't a De'Anthony Thomas type burner, his speed was good enough to gash the SEC for over 2,000 yards of offense this year.

Tre Mason is one of my favorite overall players in this year's draft and I believe him to be the best running back in the 2014 draft.

- See more at: http://nfldraftgeek.com/tremason_scoutingreport.html#sthash.vNhFeXpf.dpuf

I'm satisfied.

I'm far from the first to say this - but I don't think the Rams were planning on taking a RB that high - but when Mason fell to them in the third he was too high on the Rams' draftboard to let slip by. He gives the Rams another every down back. While Stacy has the upper hand in the competition going into training camp - it is a real competition. If Mason improves his blocking a bit he can win the job by early in the season, if not out of preseason. I expect Mason to be getting at least some carries with the first team unit by the second preseason game.