Is NIL good for the NFL?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I think this is best here in the draft section.

Significantly fewer underclassmen are now declaring for the NFL Draft. I'm reading an article in the Ringer that touches on the topic and cites NIL and the transfer portal for the reasons more players are staying in college longer.

But the author suggests this waters-down later rounds.. and I think that's misguided.

I think we're seeing more players who are more prepared to enter the draft as a result.

What do you guys think?

Name
Tim
My thought would be that unless they are sure to be a first round pick, they could make more money of their NIL than a football contract. If they are good enough to play professional the job would still be there when they graduate.

It's a money thing..

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Those players are still going to come to the NFL eventually. I think it's much better overall - every year there were a ton of underclassmen who declared but would have been better served to stay in college another year

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Not sure how it's going to impact the NFL in the long run but I know it's screwing up college football already.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think this is best here in the draft section.

Significantly fewer underclassmen are now declaring for the NFL Draft. I'm reading an article in the Ringer that touches on the topic and cites NIL and the transfer portal for the reasons more players are staying in college longer.

But the author suggests this waters-down later rounds.. and I think that's misguided.

I think we're seeing more players who are more prepared to enter the draft as a result.

What do you guys think?
If it is watering down later rounds, then it will even out in a year or two.
However, we’ve seen more depth than usual thanks to players staying in school because of CoVid rules. So, if we get more 5-6 year college players again this year, then there should be decent depth again. So kids staying in college for NIL money this year, shouldn’t have a big impact.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not sure how it's going to impact the NFL in the long run but I know it's screwing up college football already.
The exodus of college coaches running to the NFL.. meaning head coaches taking coordinator roles and such.. shows what a shit show college football is now.