Is it too early?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Wonderboy

Rookie
To start talking about the draft? At this point, it doesn't seem like it. I just had an idea, if you could draft positions, based on need (or if you're more comfortable with best players available), what would it look like? Here is my thought.

1) WR - only because I think Justin Blackmon could be a Fitz/Megatron type player
2) CB - Even though we could have our top three back with the addition of a good looking Gordy, I don't know that there is any guarantee that Bartell/Fletcher are ready to go or back to 100% by the beginning of the season (if ever)
3) DT - Could be the teams biggest NEED
4) OL - Either a tackle or a guard, depending on the health of Jason Smith mainly. We might need another tackle if his health is in question
5) X - traded to Denver (which means we need to re-sign Lloyd - How does a receiving core of Blackmon/Lloyd/Amendola/Alexander/Salas/? sound)
6) - OLB - can't have too many
7) - RB - it's finally time to draft one and try to develop him. Let's draft one instead of assuming we'll be able to sign the right one as an UDFA.

What do you guys think? How would you do it differently?

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Wonderboy said:
To start talking about the draft? At this point, it doesn't seem like it. I just had an idea, if you could draft positions, based on need (or if you're more comfortable with best players available), what would it look like? Here is my thought.

1) WR - only because I think Justin Blackmon could be a Fitz/Megatron type player
2) CB - Even though we could have our top three back with the addition of a good looking Gordy, I don't know that there is any guarantee that Bartell/Fletcher are ready to go or back to 100% by the beginning of the season (if ever)
3) DT - Could be the teams biggest NEED
4) OL - Either a tackle or a guard, depending on the health of Jason Smith mainly. We might need another tackle if his health is in question
5) X - traded to Denver (which means we need to re-sign Lloyd - How does a receiving core of Blackmon/Lloyd/Amendola/Alexander/Salas/? sound)
6) - OLB - can't have too many
7) - RB - it's finally time to draft one and try to develop him. Let's draft one instead of assuming we'll be able to sign the right one as an UDFA.

What do you guys think? How would you do it differently?

You almost have to trade down and get more picks. I would want a RB in 4th or 5th. Trade down in the 3rd or the 4th. What do I know? I am just a fan.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Never too early to be talking about the draft. :mrgreen:

In the 1st round, we could be looking at having to decide between OT Matt Kalil and WR Blackmon (im thinking he will probably be the first WR off the board). Which player would you guys rather have? Id have to go with Kalil. Our OL needs more young talent, and theres too many question marks for Smiths future.

This is a pretty damn good WR class. A dream scenario for me: We trade up back into the 1st round and get Michael Floyd or Alshon Jeffrey. Talented WRs could fall based on teams needing QBs. I dont think Blackmon makes it past Carolina, they also desperately need help on defense (especially at DT) but I dont think they will pass on Blackmon.

Im really liking the possiblity of trading up to have 2 picks in the 1st round. Im also wondering if we have any players that we should consider trading? Amendola? Im just thinking about putting together some picks to trade up. I know we dont have a 5th now, and didnt we get a 7th for Greco?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I think #1 will likely be between a WR or Kalil. I hear differing reports on Kalil. Some say that he's the next Joe Thomas, others say he will be solid, but not great. If the talent evaluators think he will only be solid or above average, I say go with the WR (either Jeffry or Blackmon) and try to pick up an OT later in the draft.

However, I think at this point OT has to be a priority as does left guard. I no longer have confidence in Jason Smith and our O line will need a tackle. I'm guessing Bell will be gone after this year too, so we'll probably need a LG as well. Center is also a problem, because Brown's bad play and I'm not sold on his replacement.

We also badly need some youth at DT. This is a huge reason our run defense is so poor and would also improve our pass rushing, just by getting someone who can eat up blockers and get some push up the middle.

We could also use depth at CB, but with Fletcher, Murphy and Bartell back along with Gordy who will have more experience, I think we're pretty good there.

TE depth is also a problem. Illinois Mike can't seem to stay healthy, which is a shame because he's a pretty damn good player when he can play.

We may want to take a flyer on a RB since SJax won't be around forever, and it will give him someone to groom.

I think OLB has to be addressed too. But with our many needs, who knows if it will.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I love draft talk.

I said in another topic, there are 2 routes (pun intended) they could go.

Right now, w/ Smith's concussion issues his career might be in doubt. Drafting Kalil and moving Saffold to right side will help the protection a ton. Can't fix everything, so in this case Bell would stay for next year (1 year deal) maybe develop a raw gaurd from the later rounds/UDFA. In round 2, probably the best available CB. CBs is def. a huge need b/c of the severity of Fletcher's and Bartell's injuries. BPA after that. FA then must be used to get a top WR. There are a lot: Wayne, VJack, Bowe, Colston, Meachem. I prefer Wayne, then Colston.

The 2nd route is to take Blackmon/Jeffery w/ the 1st pick and pick up a RT in round 3. CB is still a bigger need and a 2nd round pick should be used there. Here, Saffold would stay @ LT and the rook w/ TE help man the right side. Could also sign a vet RT to play there while the rook develops.

I hate saying this, b/c I really, really want Blackmon/Jeffery I think option 1 is the best. Gotta protect Sam.

Offense would be:

OL: Kalil, Bell/Smith, Brown, Dahl, Saffold.

QB: Bradford
FB: Miller
HB: SJack

WR: Wayne/Colston, Lloyd, Amendola, Salas, Pettis, and whoever wins out b/w DX and Clayton. (I didn't count Curry).

TE: Kendricks, Big Mike, ????

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm thinking they look at the BPA, and I feel Kalil is that guy. I've heard he's another Jake Long type guy, real real good. I think a big DT in the second will be the next move, and then leaning towards OLB and CB/S afterwards. Pick up another WR in free agency and probably a RB in the draft or FA, since it seems that later rounds or even undrafted RB seem to work well if you draft smart.

It's gonna be interesting, but as of now I'm thinking we go with Kalil. Of course draft stock goes up and down a decent amount so it's a little hard to predict.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Angry Ram said:
I love draft talk.

Right now, w/ Smith's concussion issues his career might be in doubt. Drafting Kalil and moving Saffold to right side will help the protection a ton. Can't fix everything, so in this case Bell would stay for next year (1 year deal) maybe develop a raw gaurd from the later rounds/UDFA. In round 2, probably the best available CB. CBs is def. a huge need b/c of the severity of Fletcher's and Bartell's injuries. BPA after that. FA then must be used to get a top WR. There are a lot: Wayne, VJack, Bowe, Colston, Meachem. I prefer Wayne, then Colston.

The 2nd route is to take Blackmon/Jeffery w/ the 1st pick and pick up a RT in round 3. CB is still a bigger need and a 2nd round pick should be used there. Here, Saffold would stay @ LT and the rook w/ TE help man the right side. Could also sign a vet RT to play there while the rook develops.

I hate saying this, b/c I really, really want Blackmon/Jeffery I think option 1 is the best. Gotta protect Sam.

Offense would be:

WR: Wayne/Colston, Lloyd, Amendola, Salas, Pettis, and whoever wins out b/w DX and Clayton. (I didn't count Curry).

Thats a really interesting FA WR class. I dont see how Wayne stays in Indy. You never know what the Chargers will do with VJ. I also think Desean Jackson will be a FA, his situation in Philly right now is pretty unclear. He isnt helping his case at all with his performance on the field, and hes been benched, but when things are going well hes a playmaker. Would I take a chance on him? Probably not, but I definitely think he will bounce back from this.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Angry Ram said:
I love draft talk.

Offense would be:

I dont think Big Mike is going to be welcome back. He is off the field more than he is on. He has been in the NFL for over a year and has not found a way to stay healthy. I think we look in FA for a pure blocking TE. Reggie Wayne would be good, but I think he is 30 now. I would rather have VJack, Bowe, or Meachem. They are all still young. Bowe would be good because he was in Weis' offense, so it would not be much of a learning curve. This is if McD is retained.

As for Kalil..I have heard that he is NOT a Jake Long type per Softli. I am still praying to get more picks in the 3rd and/or 4th somehow, but still get Blackmon.

bluecoconuts

Legend
ljramsfan said:
I dont think Big Mike is going to be welcome back. He is off the field more than he is on. He has been in the NFL for over a year and has not found a way to stay healthy. I think we look in FA for a pure blocking TE. Reggie Wayne would be good, but I think he is 30 now. I would rather have VJack, Bowe, or Meachem. They are all still young. Bowe would be good because he was in Weis' offense, so it would not be much of a learning curve. This is if McD is retained.

As for Kalil..I have heard that he is NOT a Jake Long type per Softli. I am still praying to get more picks in the 3rd and/or 4th somehow, but still get Blackmon.

Uh-Oh has potential I think they give him another year. He's not a FA next year so unless he gets beat out at camp I don't think they just cut him.

I haven't heard Softli's thoughts on Kalil, curious to what he doesn't like about him though and who he would take instead.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
JdashSTL said:
Angry Ram said:
I love draft talk.

Offense would be:

Thats a really interesting FA WR class. I dont see how Wayne stays in Indy. You never know what the Chargers will do with VJ. I also think Desean Jackson will be a FA, his situation in Philly right now is pretty unclear. He isnt helping his case at all with his performance on the field, and hes been benched, but when things are going well hes a playmaker. Would I take a chance on him? Probably not, but I definitely think he will bounce back from this.

I wouldn't touch DJack w/ a 10 foot pole. His act is tired, and I can only imagine if/when he gets paid. You can get players as talented and even more than DeSean with character. I.E. Mike Wallace.

ljramsfan said:
Angry Ram said:
I love draft talk.

Offense would be:

Be as a backup then, but I think Big Mike stays.

Bowe would be my last choice. The guy has a ton of drops (sound familiar) and last Sunday basically quit on a route. Wayne would be old reliable, and Colston would be that go-to guy and has size.

I don't really care for what Softli says. Usually when there's a consensus top player, there's usually one guy that says " :ahahah: no no no!" Kalil would be a smart pick, b/c unlike Jason Smith he won't be raw. He has LT experience. He can start right away.

superfan24

Starter
JdashSTL said:
Never too early to be talking about the draft. :mrgreen:

In the 1st round, we could be looking at having to decide between OT Matt Kalil and WR Blackmon (im thinking he will probably be the first WR off the board). Which player would you guys rather have? Id have to go with Kalil. Our OL needs more young talent, and theres too many question marks for Smiths future.

This is a pretty damn good WR class. A dream scenario for me: We trade up back into the 1st round and get Michael Floyd or Alshon Jeffrey. Talented WRs could fall based on teams needing QBs. I dont think Blackmon makes it past Carolina, they also desperately need help on defense (especially at DT) but I dont think they will pass on Blackmon.

Im really liking the possiblity of trading up to have 2 picks in the 1st round. Im also wondering if we have any players that we should consider trading? Amendola? Im just thinking about putting together some picks to trade up. I know we dont have a 5th now, and didnt we get a 7th for Greco?

Floyd :nice:
Uh oh needs to be back for another year. He was awesome his rookie year before the injuries took over.