Is Isaiah Pead In Trouble?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

F. Mulder

Starter
Fisher has spoken how the jump from year 1 to 2 for player development is often significant. He is certainly going to give Pead his chances but Fisher has shown he is going to play the players who are producing regardless of draft position. I think Pead really needs to shine these next 3 games (the first game suspension doesn't help him either). If he doesn't step up or any other the 3-5 RBs make a big move he is going to find himself on the sidelines a lot again. I just see a guy thinking way too much and that just makes his performances more uneven. That is what was said a lot about Quick last year; thinking too much.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
That makes a lot of sense, FM.

This is it for Pead, especially in the preseason. If the light bulb doesn't go off for him this year, he'll be gone. He really has the next 2 games to show something. Fisher will have his starters set by the 4th game. That's not to say Pead will be totally left out of the rotation, but he may move down considerably if he is still lost and Stacy and/or Cunningham step up.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

it's hard to "shine" or "show somethng" with only 3 carries. that's starter's type involvement in preseason.

it's amazing how 1 fumble sends the masses into a frenzy.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
kurtfaulk said:

it's hard to "shine" or "show somethng" with only 3 carries. that's starter's type involvement in preseason.

Yup. The Niners fans are saying the same thing about AJ Jenkins. One fumble, big deal.

F. Mulder

Starter
kurtfaulk said:

Kurt- I see it differently. I see a pretty much lost last season for a high RB pick, and potential sucessor to Jackson coupled with an off-season issue resulting in a game suspension; all prior to a less than stellar opening preseason game. To me this is all carryover and continuation of a somewhat rough start last year.

I certainly am not in a frenzy about Pead's SPECIFIC game vs. Cleveland; I am more concerned about what felt a lot like last season. The guy has talent but he has to play without thinking so much and has to win the trust of his coaches and teammates. Right now he is still an enigma IMO.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Memphis Ram said:
Would it be such a bad thing if he merely turned out to be a pretty good 3rd down back?

Not in my book.

But... Mostly because Richardson from deep in the same draft takes away some of the sting missing on "a starter" in the 2nd.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
CGI_Ram singing my song:
Not in my book.

But... Mostly because Richardson from deep in the same draft takes away some of the sting missing on "a starter" in the 2nd.

That's my view too.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Memphis Ram said:
Would it be such a bad thing if he merely turned out to be a pretty good 3rd down back?
Nope.

Whatever it takes to win.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
Memphis Ram said:
Nope.

This^^^

What's done is done. You can't get the pick back. If he contributes in a meaningful way to us winning, I'm good. Would I like to see him become the next Marshall? Certainly. But I just want to win. Be it with 2nd rounders or UDFAs. Don't really care. If you hit on a UDFA, he often counters a miss on a high pick. More hits than misses and you have the makings of a good team. Hit big on a few more than your misses and you have the makings of a playoff team. Good coaching then takes over.

BTW, I still think we are going to see more out of the guy. Guess we'll see.

A55VA6

Legend
kurtfaulk said:

It's not just the 1 fumble though. It was his rookie season as a whole.. then the suspension.. then his first carry in the first preseason game he fumbles.. while Daryl Richardson continues to prove himself. It's just not the ideal situation for Pead.

After re-watching the game, it was more of a good defensive play rather than Pead not taking care of the ball. He still should have held onto it.. but sometimes you can't.

I'm excited to see if he can bounce back against Green Bay. Right now is his chance to shine and win a starting job.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I just want to see some production and flashes of pro talent from Pead,thats all.
I haven't seen any since he was drafted over a year ago. Thats hardly irrational expectations as a fan.

Three more preseason games. He'll get plenty of opportunities. If he continues to struggle to produce i'm sure there are other RB's in camp that will seize the chance to earn PT and contribute behind DRich.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Ganaway better get on the field and produce too or he'll be one less RB Pead needs to worry about.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think you all may have missed the time I decreed that Pead would be the starter.
I don't blame you for your short memory, though. Just don't let it happen again.

Milamber11

UDFA
Name
George
The RB situation is a tough one, the guys are young and eager to prove themselves, Richardson and Stacey I like, I I'm not overly convinced With pead, the fumble is irrelevant, just needs to work harder, ATM I think Richardson is no.1, but that can all change before our game against Arizona

ramfidelis

UDFA
It's curious to me that fans are so quick to toss Pead under the bus. I do agree he did not impress last year, but understand how he was so far behind because of the late graduation. Not his fault. I don't like the fumble either, but felt he did well when Fisher went right back to him. Regarding the hesitation coming out of the end zone on the kick off... the player in front of his was signaling for him to hold up. So, that's not on him either.

The other thing that surprises me is all the talk about draft position, and that because he was the number 2 pick he should have done better. My take is that while most all of us would expect that... what happened is what we all want to happen. That is, Fisher got a surprisingly good pick from the 7th round. No one expected that. So, how is that a bad thing, or an excuse to slam Pead? We go lucky with Richardson. In the end I agree Pead is putting too much pressure on himself to succeed. He's got to get past this mental side of playing and he'll be fine. One good game will go a long way to help. If he can't get past the mental side of this he will fail.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
RamFan503 said:
X said:
Memphis Ram said:
Nope.

This^^^

What's done is done. You can't get the pick back. If he contributes in a meaningful way to us winning, I'm good. Would I like to see him become the next Marshall? Certainly. But I just want to win. Be it with 2nd rounders or UDFAs. Don't really care. If you hit on a UDFA, he often counters a miss on a high pick. More hits than misses and you have the makings of a good team. Hit big on a few more than your misses and you have the makings of a playoff team. Good coaching then takes over.

BTW, I still think we are going to see more out of the guy. Guess we'll see.
I fourth this notion.

I don't care if the starter is from the 2nd or 7th round. The main thing is that they drafted two players that can contribute to the offense.

So I don't worry about Pead so long as he's not a liability like Tony Banks.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Oh I hear that. The fumbles are on everyone's mind, I just feel like that can be coached. And he can do this.

Don't be the Banks. Don't be the Banks ...