Is an 18 game season still a good idea?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
18 games, 12 minute quarters

Same price, reduced size seems to be how big businesses are hosing consumers these days. The League might as well join in the fun. Keep all prices the same - nah, raise prices, because NFL. Having 18 games is a bad idea, let's make it worse.

Get rid of short weeks. No Thursday game for a team unless it's coming out of a bye week.

Get rid of some/all pre-season games, but allow more/longer joint practices.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
18 games, 12 minute quarters

That's a very creative idea.

Would be losing 12 minutes per-game (48 instead of 60); and that's three and a half 60-minute games over an 18-game season. However, it's 18 games instead of 16 (normal number from the mid-70s through 2019).

Don't see it getting traction but it's a really interesting idea. I'm voting it Thread Winner!

Packfan18

Rookie
I say play 16 games and have 2 bye weeks and get rid of Thursday Night Football. I also say start the season a week after Labor Day then play the Super Bowl the end of February.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
AND… If they add those costs, does the 18th game cover it? I suspect YES… but for the quality of play is that diminishing returns?
Really hard to quantify, how much does the advertising $$ change with the addition of one more regular season game?

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
You can’t sell me on player safety while trying to make players put their bodies through hell for two more games. Nope. 16 was plenty.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
well.. what players that are not in the post-season, that ended play in early January, are going to want to return to play the most meaningless game ever, 2 months later?
I'm not seeing it - but who knows?!!
Play what game?

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I say go back to 16 games and also go back to giving the two best teams in each conference a bye in the playoffs.

I really don't like or see a good reason for a 17th game other than to make more $$$$$ for the owners.
If a team gets their playoff top seed secured, they don't play their starters in the last game or two anyway.

I guess it helps when a few bottom feeders are fighting for the last playoff spot (like the whiners last season) but other than that, the extra game is more of a problem than anything else.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
The NFL has become a game of Survivor.

By the time we reach the playoffs, does it come down to who is healthest as opposed to the best team assembled?

Jimmy G, Kyler Murray… starting QB’s lost in recent weeks… And we have 4 games to go.

Currently there are 312 players on IR. LINK. How many will we have after 17 games?

2021 we saw 343 for the season, by the end.

2020 had 300 at the end.

Is 18 games still/ever a good idea?
Was a terrible idea from the start.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
They say injuries are part of the game but I've never seen it take a team down like it did the Rams this season. I think its time to increase roster size and salary cap.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If they're thinking about going eighteen games, they had better increase the rosters (at least 60 roster spots, 53 gameday, and 20 man practice squads.) and have at least two bye weeks per team. To do anything less would be criminal to the players.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think 16 games is the sweet spot.

I’d be more in favor of expanding playoffs to get more teams involved in the post season.

I don’t like individual team byes. Instead, make the bye league-wide, 1 game before POs begin. Last place in division is disqualified from PO contention.

The empty bye week should be the sexiest cheerleader competition. Including 1 cheerleader from every team, ranked by hotness voted on nationally using blind voting system. No cheer dudes allowed.

If divisional teams tie for last place, the highest ranked cheerleader between the teams wins and those teams advance.

Why not? It only helps the cheerleader ranks look better.