Injuries to our Rams Corners how bad is it?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm thinkin' draft a corner!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/CB

If Snead wants to improve the secondary then he will have to draft some good ones. If his desires is to trade off the Skins pick & trade down for several more selections on the second day then he could have targeted some of these late first round prospects or second day draft prospects. Snead could be targeting @ some more Trumaine Johnson like late second day prospects. While there is no 6-2 210 pound Trumaine's there he may have to settle for a couple JJ sized prospects. I have read several post lately listing Jason Verrett & Ekpre-Olomu but both of them are under 5-10 and thin ..... not a good situation to have in a division of real tall big strong receivers playing in AZ, Seattle & SF. There are a few larger cb's like Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Keith McGill & Pierre Desir who should be on the board the beginning of the third day. Desir because of his size has a chance to go early on the second day due to the overall short small type cb prospects in general.

Here's one site with a list of some of the better prospects.

Rank
24-....Ifo Ekpre-Olomu......1 Oregon..Jr..............5-10/185... 1 rd
28-....Jason Verrett...........2 TCU..Sr..................5-10/176... 1-2 rd
29-....Bradley Roby...........3 Ohio Stater..Jr.........5-11/192... 1-2 rd
43-.....Kyle Fuller..............4 Virginia Tech...Sr.....6-0/194... 2 rd
57-.....Justin Gilbert..........5 Oklahoma State..Sr..6-0/200.. 2 rd
62-......Louchiez Purifoy.....6 Florida..Jr...............6-0/190... 2 rd
63-......Darqueze Dennard..7 Michigan State..Sr...5-11/197... 2 rd

Last edited by a moderator:

fearsomefour

Legend
The situation with CF is a very serious one...so much cap $$ was invested into CF to be the big leader in the secondary since the Rams went with a very very young secondary cadre...27 games later this investment has went south fast. As posted on this yesterday by many ROD'mers Things started out well enough but by the last quarter of the 2012 season CF has lost his starting position to Johnson. Its been said he lost it due to a thigh injury but he never got better. When this season opened up once gain CF was outplayed by Johnson mater of fact ...Trumaine Johnson ceased the mantel away from JJ as the Rams best CB. The 9ers game according to Fisher CF received several injuries a re injured or re aggravation to the 2012 thigh and now we hear of a fractured orbital bone! of the five games he played in this season he finished only three. CF is a small corner some sites have him under 180 pounds on a very thin frame.

CF will be paid 15 million for his services this very short season....looks like if CF was fully healthy his role would be @ best the Nickle..do you pay 15 mil for a nickle back?? is this a wise use of valuable priceless cap $$ most will say it way too early for any wild guesses on his future status with this Rams team but I would consider it highly unlikely that CF will beat out JJ & TJ as starters. Rams can always use good corners but there was nothing good about CF this season from the get go.

Rams have big time issues with their secondary early & now in the last two games they have been gashed for over 700 yds! That's even with one of the NFL best pass rushing DL's! Rams have won big in these games so it slightly tainted...but DC Walton has been disappointing with only five games left. I just do not see how CF and his mega cap cost fits into the Rams future plans. Does any ROD'mer know of any merits of keeping CF past this season??

The only possiblity (assuming he is washed up at CB and it is not injuries) would be moving him to S. I am not saying that because I think it will happen or even should. His experience, smarts ect. could make him an effective S. But, safeties with their games based in anticipation with lacking speed have a history of getting burned.
With CF contract costing $26M actual dollars over the term remaining I dont see anyway an owner is going to eat that for a nickel or an experiment at S. Will be interesting to see. If he is cut I think he saves $4M against the cap next year, not sure after that. I would like to at least some of that $4M going to bring in a vet CB or two. Dont have to be big names but guys that are consistant vets. Also, one of those first round picks almost has to go CB at this point.
It is hard to come up with a reason to keep Courtland around sans a big salary cut and a successful move of position. Neither thing I really believe is going to happen.

V3

Hall of Fame
If you look at the CB's that were signed last off season and what they signed for, it makes you wonder what the hell Snead and Fisher were thinking when they made that deal for Finnegan. He should be cut. He doesn't produce, often injured, and his contract is horrible. This is where I wonder about Fisher's loyalty to certain players vs what's best for the team. If he's not cut, you'll have your answer.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I believe that CF will be allowed to "retire" this off season.