In 2024, the Rams need three “insurance policies.”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
There are spots in the starting lineup where an upgrade is needed for the Rams to reach the next level.

It is also important, though… perhaps equally important, to ensure that we have adequate depth in areas of strength. It’s a long season, and we need “insurance policies” to prevent injuries at key spots from derailing the season.

These three spots come to mind:

Kyren Insurance
Kyren Williams had an amazing season, and his impact on the offense cannot be overstated. His ability to run between the tackles, block, and catch the ball make him the perfect back for Sean McVay’s offense, which is predicated on having versatile players who can play every down, as opposed to a lot of situational players. The problem, of course, is that Williams is only 5’9, 195 lbs. He is not built to withstand constant pounding, as was demonstrated by his midseason injury, as well as those he suffered last week against Detroit. To keep him fresh, and insure against short-term injuries, the Rams need another back who can do what he does. Two guys I think would be perfect are Blake Corum from Michigan and Tre Benson from FSU. I don’t know, however, if the Rams are willing to invest a Day 2 pick to fill this spot. I, for one, would take either in Round 3. Not sure I’d use a 2nd round pick on any RB. As a possible Day 3 option is Dylan Laube of New Hampshire.

Kupp Insurance
If Cooper Kupp returns at 100% (and stays healthy), he and Puka Nacua could be one of the top WR duos in football. That said, Kupp has had trouble staying healthy over the past two seasons, and he’s getting up there in age. So, this insurance policy is both a short-term protection, and necessary as we plan for a post-Kupp time. I don’t see any chance of getting the guy I dream of seeing in horns – Rome Odunze of Washington, unless we trade up (doubt we would). I think its more likely we look at prospects on Days 2 and 3. Two guys I think fit our system well are Ladd McConkey of Georgia, and Odunze’s Washington teammate, Jalen McMillon. This is a position I’ll be watching very carefully at the Senior Bowl.

Stafford Insurance
I’m really not looking to draft a “QB of the future” at this point. The top guys will be gone long before we make our first round selection, and I’m not all that keen on the “second tier” guys. I think the solution is already on our roster. Carson Wentz, assuming he would sign for a reasonable sum, would give us a guy who can fill in if (hopefully this does not happen) Stafford has to sit for a game or two. He also could be used for RPO plays in short yardage/Red Zone situations.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Fully agreed with Kyren and Stafford. Both should be relatively easy to get done as well. Kyren we just need another back who McVay will actually hand it off to which means somewhere mid to late round pick. Might even be a UDFA. Stafford's insurance I like the idea of keeping Wentz around, and I don't think he's going to be outpriced from one outing so maybe they get him done before the window opens.

But for Kupp I think we have big possession targets covered in this offense. Nacua could move into his role quite easily I think, as they are very similar wideouts. This season the Rams knew they were getting Kupp back so they set things up with Nacua so that the two of them would have complementary roles I think. But if Kupp were to miss a season they could move Nacua around or stick him in the slot with good results I'd think.

They do need a wideout though. Just someone with speed who is not micro sized. Someone who can line up outside and beat a corner when he gets his hands on them would be real nice. Classic X. Doesn't have to be a polished player or size/speed type either. Could be a project type who has the speed and enough physicality to project well in that usage. Or they get that in FA to ensure the weapons are there to maximize their QB then move to the draft ready to fill a ton of holes.

InfiniteRam

Rookie
I'd try to move Kupp. I think McVay gets stressed trying to keep both Nacua and Kupp involved. This offense needs a different dynamic in the passing game.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I agree with all of this.

Kyren insurance - the guys mentioned would be nice, I'd add Marshawn Lloyd to the list myself also. Bigger more powerful back (though he isn't huge, he plays big). No idea where he is projected. Really was hoping Trayvon Henderson was coming out, and am completely baffled by his not declaring particularly with the top transfer portal RB signing up with Ohio State. Love me some Trayvon.

Kupp insurance - Historically, we have been amazing at taking later WR's that are far better then their draft slot, so I wouldn't spend a premium pick here, especially considering if Kupp is 100% and we can resign Robinson, we have an extremely talented trio. I'd certainly take one in the 4th or later however for the depth. Also, think Atwell is better then his usage suggests and could step in for any of those 3. He may be a FA however, can't recall.

Stafford insurance - The answer is in the building, Wentz. Need to sign him for another year as we need a vet backup if we are trying to compete for a Superbowl. There is no way we can trust Bennett at this point and also likely no chance we spend our premium picks on a QB that (hopefully) would be sitting behind Stafford the whole season and thus not improving us for our run. We have absolutely pressing needs we need to address with premium picks.

As always, great post Avenger

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd try to move Kupp. I think McVay gets stressed trying to keep both Nacua and Kupp involved. This offense needs a different dynamic in the passing game.
I expect him to bounce back in '24. They won't move him I don't think until after that season, and that's only if he continues to not be himself.

Also the day he retires he will have a position on McVay's staff.

InfiniteRam

Rookie
I expect him to bounce back in '24. They won't move him I don't think until after that season, and that's only if he continues to not be himself.

McVay has a long time to figure it out. Hope he does. The next evolution of this offense needs to involve more downfield usage of the TE.

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
For Stafford, I tell ya who I wouldn’t mind if Wentz were to leave, and it’s not the sexiest name but it’s someone that I think could play winning football if we ever needed him to….Tyrod Taylor. He played well this season for a Giants team that had a poor offensive line and few weapons outside.

I have a close family friend that has worked in the Ravens front office forever, and he’s raved to me about Tyrod Taylor as a backup QB. Tyrod backed up Flacco for a few years and this guy said Tyrod is one of the best teammates he’s ever been around. He’ll always be prepared and be a great veteran presence in the lockerroom.

For Kyren….Kareem Hunt maybe?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tyrod would be solid. But he probably costs more than Carson.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kicker insurance.
I bet this is the last year we see McSnead get cute with a Kicker.
There, we need a new starter. A couple of good ones in the draft: Josh Karty, Stanford and Will Reichard, Alabama.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

I Don't think so IMO. It was Nuca's first year with the rams, McVay and co were obviously trying to figure out how and where him and kupp fit into this offense. I think with a full season of tape the Rams coaching staff will be better suited to figure out their true roles with the Rams offense. Obviously with a key piece like D Robinson becoming an FA this offseason he would be a key signing if they plan to bring him back. If there are casualties I think it's players like Tutu, Skow, & Trammel. They are expendable and if this last draft has taught us anything, it's there are upgrades @ every position no matter what number they're drafted at.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
I agree with your assessment that we need insurance for the RB room. I'm just not sure that a guy like Blake Corum is what we're looking for.

I am hesitant to draft running backs that play behind super dominant OLs. I mean look at the holes that they blasted in Washington's line in the Rose Bowl. Corum won't see that kind of blocking in the NFL and might struggle to get yards.

He certainly wouldn't be the first RB this has happened to, look at a lot of the Wisconsin backs that have been just mediocre when they got to the pros.

~ArkyRamsFan~

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed with all.

I do think if there's a QB that McVay loves in the first, he might bite. Couldn't be too mad about that even though I want to go all in for next year....he may get a little jealous seeing how good Love has looked down the stretch.

Also agree on Kyren and having a legit backup.

At WR - I think this is a HUGE need. McVay wants to go 11 personnel, which means we're looking at Tutu as a starter next year. That could be okay, except for these factors:

-we have to admit Kupp is "injury prone" now
-Puka was on the injury report 16 times this year even though he didn't miss time - his history coupled with his physical play style......would love to be wrong but I doubt we get him for a full season next year
-Tutu and Skow are FAs after next season

If you put all this together, it makes WR secretly one of the biggest needs. Especially because Tutu could be upgraded to begin with.

Similar story to the OL even though Jackson was okay - and now TE with Higbee likely out.

I really hope we can fill all our defensive needs in FA and go all offense in the draft. That would serve to set us up NICELY for the future while being a Super Bowl contender next year (depending on what we're able to do in FA)

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

He damn well better be. I could see Kupp being a real good coach. If Yarber is still here, he can be Yarber's assistant.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Tutu is going into his 4th year and is not a FA yet.
I would move him. And I like him, but he does not fit the big catch radius type guy that Stafford seems to like to throw to. And he does not help at all in the red zone. Maybe you could move him to a weapon starved team for a 6th. Maybe package him and a 6th to get a late 4th.

Flint

Pro Bowler
There, we need a new starter. A couple of good ones in the draft: Josh Karty, Stanford and Will Reichard, Alabama.
Haven’t had much luck with picking the right college guys, remember Dicker the kicker, he’s turned into a solid guy.

Tano

Legend
I would move him. And I like him, but he does not fit the big catch radius type guy that Stafford seems to like to throw to. And he does not help at all in the red zone. Maybe you could move him to a weapon starved team for a 6th. Maybe package him and a 6th to get a late 4th.
I don't have a problem with that. Didn't like the pick then and I hate it even more now since he is at best a gadget player. He has done a few good things with the Rams but I would much rather have a bigger fast receiver.