Improving the Gurley Situation

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
How do you guys think we get Todd back on track?

Become less predictable? Sign a stronger vet FA? Is Todd becoming to indecisive?

I think there are 2 things that can make Todd more successful:

1. More outside runs. How many times this year have we just whammed it straight up the gut? I can remember many stretches and I can recall a single pitch. Our interior is our weakest area, particularly Whichmann and Barnes. If we could get a nice sweep to the left behind our big, athletic boys in GRob and Saffold I'd be very happy. Also our solid WR run blocking (Britt and Quick) is negated when we run up the gut.

2. More targets. In his minimal touches catching the football in the NFL, Todd has shown good hands and obvious great skills in space. It puzzles me why we don't swing him out more, instead it seems like most games his few targets are predictable screens. As much as I love Benny and acknowledge his solid play on 3rd as a pass blocker and shifty and powerful receiver, I think Todd's ceiling as a 3rd down back is much higher. Just look at how he impacted the game today when Benny went down. His 37 yard one hander was huge (was held on that play) and his 3rd down start-stop-start sideline conversion in the RZ was huge. I'm hopefully we design and script more pass plays around Todd.

What are your suggestions?

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
I think you're right with both of your points. I think we'll start to see him more involved in the pass game, that was his biggest strength today for sure, made some great catches.

And it's hard to tell from our perspective but it sure does seem like he's always just ramming into the back of his OL. Last year you'd see him squeeze through those holes and sometimes break away for a big run. I watch guys like LeVeon Bell and David Johnson today, and they make nice jump cuts, have good patience, etc. not seeing as much of that from Gurley this year. Yeah he's facing loaded boxes, but I know he has the ability to make guys miss rather than just try to power through everyone. Maybe it's the OL, maybe it's a sophomore slump, who knows. I also agree with you in that we need to try some more outside runs rather than everything straight up the middle. Clearly that's not our strength right now.

We've also played some pretty good defenses to start the year so that probably doesn't help him much either, but 2-3 YPC is pretty mediocre. I think he'll get going eventually, but it is frustrating to see him playing the way he is. And I'd also say our pass game is improving so that can only help him.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Maybe someone who knows zone running concepts better can explain but I think part of the issue may be whether or not the holes are there and whether or not Gurley is reading them as well as he used to. He doesn't seem to be as patient a runner this year.

Still, not running Tavon on reverses and jet sweeps every other play has certainly affected things. People really underestimated how much that affected the holes Gurley had to run through or tacklers poor ability to bring him down when they were already off balance from chasing after Tavon.

I would actually like to see a little more in the way of Tavon on reverses and jet sweeps, we're averaging about one a game and I'd like to see it bump up to two, maybe three a game.

Also, I think we need to add some play action on 1st down as opposed to just second. Schottenheimer, for all his faults, was good at sprinkling in play-action on first down and often with easy completions with TE's and WRs on crossers. We have to make teams think better about selling out on 1st down against the run when our QB is under center.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe someone who knows zone running concepts better can explain but I think part of the issue may be whether or not the holes are there and whether or not Gurley is reading them as well as he used to. He doesn't seem to be as patient a runner this year.

Still, not running Tavon on reverses and jet sweeps every other play has certainly affected things. People really underestimated how much that affected the holes Gurley had to run through or tacklers poor ability to bring him down when they were already off balance from chasing after Tavon.

I would actually like to see a little more in the way of Tavon on reverses and jet sweeps, we're averaging about one a game and I'd like to see it bump up to two, maybe three a game.

Also, I think we need to add some play action on 1st down as opposed to just second. Schottenheimer, for all his faults, was good at sprinkling in play-action on first down and often with easy completions with TE's and WRs on crossers. We have to make teams think better about selling out on 1st down against the run when our QB is under center.
Agreed. I think most Ram fans who have been watching this team since preseason can agree that the play calls are too predictable. The two TE, FB set on first is almost always a run, and if we run PA on 1st it's almost always run on 2nd. I'd like to see us spread the D out with 4 wide and run some draws to Todd as well. Minimizing the 8-9 man boxes will help get him rolling.

As my friend said earlier. It's fun to think of what this O can be when Todd is rolling. We're 3-1 and he has yet to eclipse 90 on the ground

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
In no particular order...

1) More variety in the run design. You hit on it exactly right. Almost all of Gurley's carries have been off the guard, up the middle, and into the teeth of the opposing defense. Why that is I have no idea because not only do you need to mix things up to keep defences honest (and be less predictable!), but G-Rob is probably our best run blocker. Get Gurley outside sometimes! Whether the play is drawn up to have Gurley bounce it outside, pitch him the ball, or use some other tactic it really doesn't matter. The point is we have to do more than just run him up the middle.

2) More misdirection. Almost the entire Rams offense was built off of the misdirection between Gurley and Austin last season. It is good we have gotten away from every play design relying on that set up, but I would argue we have gotten a bit *too* far away from it. I only saw one end-around or jet sweep today, and zero fakes of either. We need more than that. Not only to free up Gurley, but the plays are also quite productive in their own right. Austin routinely picks up chunk yards off them.

3) Get Gurley involved in the passing game. Gurley is a good receiver out of the backfield. Georgia used him as a receiver a lot in college. So far in his Rams career, the receiving aspect of Gurley's game has been way under utilised. I don't really care how Gurley punishes teams. Through the air or on the ground it doesn't matter. The point is we need our biggest offensive weapon to take over games. Thankfully, the Rams seemed to finally catch onto this one today. The pass to Gurley was his biggest play of the day, and wasn't far away from actually being a huge gain if not TD.

4) Better run blocking. Self-explanatory. Through 4 games I don't think Gurley has had even ONE giant hold to run through, allowing him to break off an "easy" explosive play. That's pathetic and a huge problem. Not to say Gurley should need consistent huge running lanes. Not only is that unrealistic, if he's a franchise back, he has to be able to excel even without a top-tier offensive line play. But the Rams current run blocking is just atrocious. He's hit at or behind the line of scrimmage on the vast majority of his carries. That isn't good enough. Plus, even the worst teams in the league occasionally execute great run blocks to spring their RB. Our lineman need to step up.

5) A better passing game. Case Keenum has played admirably so far this season and, to the Rams credit, they have been trying to pass the ball more to loosen up the box. Our performance today should help to that end, as hopefully other teams will start respect the Rams' deep ball more. Quick had a nice TD. Austin and Quick both nearly hauled in long passes as well. But as it stands now, Keenum and the Rams passing attack is still underwhelming and striking fear into nobody. Until that changes, the boxes are going to be stacked.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
How do you guys think we get Todd back on track?

Become less predictable? Sign a stronger vet FA? Is Todd becoming to indecisive?

I think there are 2 things that can make Todd more successful:

1. More outside runs. How many times this year have we just whammed it straight up the gut? I can remember many stretches and I can recall a single pitch. Our interior is our weakest area, particularly Whichmann and Barnes. If we could get a nice sweep to the left behind our big, athletic boys in GRob and Saffold I'd be very happy. Also our solid WR run blocking (Britt and Quick) is negated when we run up the gut.

2. More targets. In his minimal touches catching the football in the NFL, Todd has shown good hands and obvious great skills in space. It puzzles me why we don't swing him out more, instead it seems like most games his few targets are predictable screens. As much as I love Benny and acknowledge his solid play on 3rd as a pass blocker and shifty and powerful receiver, I think Todd's ceiling as a 3rd down back is much higher. Just look at how he impacted the game today when Benny went down. His 37 yard one hander was huge (was held on that play) and his 3rd down start-stop-start sideline conversion in the RZ was huge. I'm hopefully we design and script more pass plays around Todd.

What are your suggestions?
Prolly right on both counts. Gotta start effectively pulling guards and getting some more effective downfield blocking. I'd add that we gotta stop bunching up our formations and trying to run out of heavy sets most of the time. Spread the defense out by spreading out the offense. Get guys off the line and have them start covering up receivers. And yeah, if he can't get it going on the ground, get him out into the flat, or in wheel routes, or even some curls over the middle. Ball in hands.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nothing is wrong with Gurley. It only seems like he is rushing the pace because he is running north and south and honestly with the run blocking and the defenders he has been facing thats exactly what we need from him. He might be averaging less then 3 ypc but how many of those yards are after contact behind and at the line of scrimmage. Gurley is going to be find i love the power and speed i see from him and this will only give the coaching staff more confidence in his receiving ability and with Cunningham hurt he shoyld have a lot more opportunities to continue to showcase his receiving skills.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Gurley is doing an amazing job. He's caught the attention of opposing defenses. He the reason we have a passing game. He been great in blitz pick up and he's catching balls out of the backfield. Eventually D's will respect the passing game and back out of the box. Eventually they will. Without these contribution we wouldn't be 3-1.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Last year when Jamon Brown was next to Havenstein, the run play seemed more opportunities and great yardage. IDK, maybe switchout Wichmann and put in Jamon Brown next to Havenstein?

Every run is straight up or to the right and Gurley would get slammed for 1 or 2 yards.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
His timing does seem to be off a bit but really we are predictable and lack creativity in the design of our runing game. Even when we go downfield to set yp the run we are getting no push, no running lane and no yards beyond the point of attack. Pulling and doing other creative things sounds good just wonder if their are limitations with this
line that we do not know about. We are only the last couple games starting to establish any continuity amongst our starters. Also I love the pitch ala ED , I believe that wrinkle would open things up. We need to get TG in space and pop him outside from time to time.
Jmo

EasyE

Starter
Its hard to believe he never finds any room...play after play, just nothing...acually unbelievable...after 50 attemps, one would think he would bust at least 1 to the house...stacked boxes and all...

fastcat

Pro Bowler
1. STOP running the ball no matter if it's an inside or outside run with 9 guys in the box. All you have to do is count the players close to the LOS. there is at least gets a 8 man front then we run the ball almost EVERY 1st down which leads to my 2nd point. why cant/won't keenum audible. even if the coaches didn't give me permission, personally when I see 8 to 10 people in the box on a called run play. I would have it setup with my receivers that we are gonna pass the ball.... The coaches would just have to be mad at me, lol. but at some point someone has to recognize some plays just won't work in certain situations.

2. STOP running the ball on ALMOST EVERY 1ST DOWN. That should be self explanatory... If I'm at home and i know we are gonna run the ball, guess what every dc and defensive player kmows??

3. Our line sucks, I'd if it's scheme, personel, or both, but I see the middle of the line get pushed back consistently. you can't run the ball with defenders 2 yards in the backfield

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's the basics. 5 guys executing their blocks up front. Skills guys executing their blocks at least enough to not have a free for all to Gurley. It's blocking 101 and like I've suggested before I suspect the Rams worked so hard on the passing game with the new hire of Groh and push to get Tavon involved that they just weren't ready come the season to hit it hard and physical.

We have two good things in our favor here too...

1. This OL has the strength and talent to do it well. We saw it last year while they were the opposite, struggling moreso in pass pro. Now it's reversed and they're pretty good at pass pro.

2. Gurley don't need much. Just a crease and he can be gone regardless of how many are in the box.

Just execution dudes. That's it IMO. No need to outsmart ourselves or get all cutesey. Hammer that $#!& up Buffalo's collective posterior. With gusto.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Keep taking shots downfield like they've been doing. Give defenses something else to gameplan for.
Meanwhile, your QB and WR's gain trust and confidence in the system and each other.

jap

Legend
The running game will fix itself. This is no different than what defenses did to Marshall in early 1999. Faulk's rushing numbers then looked a lot like Gurley's numbers look now. Case is getting better at managing the passing game. As he continues to get better at finding Quickie, Kenny, and, occasionally, Tavon deep, defenses will have to! adjust and ease up on Todd. After all, scoring death by a rampaging Express! is usually much slower than rapid airstrikes from Case to his fly guys. Case has to continue to be careful to avoid giving opponents opportunities to make plays on errant passes.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The play design is flawed. If you watch the coaches film - you will see many plays where everyone executes their blocks and he is still getting stuffed. I know you have 9 guys trying to block 11 and all - but its rediculous how many guys go unaccounted for in the running game and how little anyone is ever fooled by the little bit of misdirection that is thrown out there. Its not as simple as making the safeties respect the pass - they need to mix up the run game design significantly.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't have an answer , but I did like what he said in his interview about lack of production. He said he could care less if they keep winning.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
To fix Gurley the Rams need to hire a real offensive coordinator.that knows how to run the ball. Mark Roman is available, please Fisher come to your senses.

Psycho_X

Legend
Like I said in another thread, maybe we need to hire a run game coordinator now. Someone needs to design some plays that don't go straight up the guards ass.