I’m starting to feel a lot better about this D now…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
It was generally thought here in this forum that DB Burgess was not healthy or up to par to get back into some plays in the defense but if Burgessess is getting heavy doses of Special Team snaps then it sure appears that health is NOT an issue with Burgess. Its something else???:thinking:
Haven't seen any explanation for Burgess. I have just assumed that he lost some lateral agility or overall quickness due to his ankle injury, and that the Rams for several good reasons just don't want to say that publicly.

But maybe it's just been a slow process getting back his chops after a really bad injury (remember Brian Allen). Maybe Burgess will still surprise us.

Psycho_X

Legend

Rams own the 4th-ranked defense in DVOA this season​

Skyler Carlin
Wed, October 20, 2021, 8:58 AM

Much has been made about the coaching performance of Raheem Morris this season after he replaced Brandon Staley as the defensive coordinator of the Los Angeles Rams. If you were to ask fans their opinion of Morris thus far, you’d get differing responses.

Despite the criticism that Morris has received, Los Angeles boasts the No. 4 ranked defense in the NFL in terms of Football Outsider’s DVOA (defense-adjusted value over average) metric in the first six weeks.
Replacing Staley after just one season was going to be a tall task for the Rams, regardless of who they brought in. In Staley’s lone season as the defensive coordinator, Los Angeles had the No. 1-ranked defense overall in yards and points allowed, but coincidentally, the Rams were the No. 4 ranked defense in DVOA in 2020 as well.
The only three teams ahead of Los Angeles in DVOA on defense this season are the Buffalo Bills, the Arizona Cardinals, and the New Orleans Saints. While the Rams have posted a 5-1 record in the ledger, they are allowing 21.2 points per game, which is ninth in the NFL.

Of course, life can be a bit easier when you have Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey to scheme with. However, other guys are stepping up on the defense like Leonard Floyd, Sebastian Joseph-Day, and Terrell Lewis, among others.
On the defensive side of the ball, the Rams have forced the fifth-most takeaways (10) and they are tied for the third-most sacks (18) in the league. Also, after giving up 108 rushing yards to David Montgomery in Week 1, Los Angeles has permitted 102.4 rushing yards per game in the previous five weeks.
It was naive for people to think that Morris could repeat the success that Staley had, especially with losing John Johnson and Troy Hill in free agency. But through the first six weeks, Morris has the defense in a similar spot it was a season ago, so the censure he’s received from certain fans is unwarranted so far.

Tano

Legend

Rams own the 4th-ranked defense in DVOA this season​

Skyler Carlin
Wed, October 20, 2021, 8:58 AM

Much has been made about the coaching performance of Raheem Morris this season after he replaced Brandon Staley as the defensive coordinator of the Los Angeles Rams. If you were to ask fans their opinion of Morris thus far, you’d get differing responses.

Despite the criticism that Morris has received, Los Angeles boasts the No. 4 ranked defense in the NFL in terms of Football Outsider’s DVOA (defense-adjusted value over average) metric in the first six weeks.
Replacing Staley after just one season was going to be a tall task for the Rams, regardless of who they brought in. In Staley’s lone season as the defensive coordinator, Los Angeles had the No. 1-ranked defense overall in yards and points allowed, but coincidentally, the Rams were the No. 4 ranked defense in DVOA in 2020 as well.
The only three teams ahead of Los Angeles in DVOA on defense this season are the Buffalo Bills, the Arizona Cardinals, and the New Orleans Saints. While the Rams have posted a 5-1 record in the ledger, they are allowing 21.2 points per game, which is ninth in the NFL.

Of course, life can be a bit easier when you have Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey to scheme with. However, other guys are stepping up on the defense like Leonard Floyd, Sebastian Joseph-Day, and Terrell Lewis, among others.
On the defensive side of the ball, the Rams have forced the fifth-most takeaways (10) and they are tied for the third-most sacks (18) in the league. Also, after giving up 108 rushing yards to David Montgomery in Week 1, Los Angeles has permitted 102.4 rushing yards per game in the previous five weeks.
It was naive for people to think that Morris could repeat the success that Staley had, especially with losing John Johnson and Troy Hill in free agency. But through the first six weeks, Morris has the defense in a similar spot it was a season ago, so the censure he’s received from certain fans is unwarranted so far.
The only problem I had with Morris was his CBs playing 10 yards off the receiver and Rapp in deep coverage.

I wouldn't have a problem if the CBs played mostly 5 to 7 yards off the receiver except on the 3rd and short downs. But Rapp has to play the hybrid linebacker/safety role - just like Barron did his first year with the Rams

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
"Starting to feel a lot better about this D"

3 pages in and not a single "That's what she said" reply?

This site ain't what it used to be.

Lol

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
The needle is moving up with their performances at Seattle and the Giants. Honestly the way they played at NY was not a good barometer to exhale.

The Lions game will not be a true barometer.

The Texans game will not be a true barometer.

Yup. It is how we perform against the first divisions teams. Not the second division.

Last year we had the supposed #1 defense and were steamrolled vs. GB.

As I mentioned before they don't even have to be good. With the offense we have they only have to be respectable.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Yards per play allowed for me, and I think we're 10th.

Top 10 in points and yards per play. Top 5 in sacks and turnovers.

Should be going up the next two weeks too.
How's that even possible? Feels like teams move up and down at will and we've caught some breaks and goaline stands.

It's incredible to me really.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
How's that even possible? Feels like teams move up and down at will and we've caught some breaks and goaline stands.

It's incredible to me really.
Yeah what makes it feel bad is the third down conversion percentage. Third downs get converted against these guys like crazy and it's maddening to watch. It's not just third and short either, teams are converting unfavorable distances on third down vs our defense. I'm not confident even if it's 3rd and 15.

But they are trending the right direction. And if Morris plays his cards right he can boost his unit statistically over the next couple games with Detroit and Houston. Now granted I don't think that's a given but I am hopeful.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Yeah what makes it feel bad is the third down conversion percentage. Third downs get converted against these guys like crazy and it's maddening to watch. It's not just third and short either, teams are converting unfavorable distances on third down vs our defense. I'm not confident even if it's 3rd and 15.

But they are trending the right direction. And if Morris plays his cards right he can boost his unit statistically over the next couple games with Detroit and Houston. Now granted I don't think that's a given but I am hopeful.
That's probably exactly what it is. And that makes sense. 3rd Down Defense is atrocious.